Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gaming News

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

Something loose inside that lads head

If I didn't really want to play Borderlands 3 I'd boycott it because of him. I guess this is what it feels like to be a City fan.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

I think he wants to be fired at this stage. If rumours are true he's not short of money anyway

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

randy pitchford at it again -
    Basically being himself but posting animal abuse video while doing it..

He always reminds me of that person from college who never quite grew out of 'college phase', acting like he's still in his early 20s, messing and generally behaving like a knob. I genuinely believe Pitchford doesn't "get" what all the fuss and controversy is about, because he just doesn't have the emotional maturity to understand why few grown adults are charmed by his frathouse, man-child behaviour. That he's the founder/president of Gearbox also means he's probably getting no pushback from his own company to grow the F up.

• gimli2112 wrote: »
    If I didn't really want to play Borderlands 3 I'd boycott it because of him. I guess this is what it feels like to be a CityUtd fan.

At the moment

In all honesty though, he's not going anywhere as CEO unless he well and truly does something appalling and authoritys step him.
    I've never had time for him Since Duke Nukem Forever / Alien Colonial Marines. The level of deception on show and lack of self awareness is incredible.
    His best creation IMO was Half Life Opposing Force but funnily enough cracks started to show as he soon fell out with Gabe Newell

• Registered Users Posts: 23,180 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Something loose inside that lads head

Jim or Randy?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    Saw this article and said 'Aw ****, here we go again' and then saw the first comment underneath.

https://twitter.com/thefateofyomuva/status/1133433622575427585?s=19

From personal experience, even in Ireland, HR tend to throw the procedure manual out the window when dealing with serious allegations against the most senior managers.

Sounds like that happened here

• Registered Users Posts: 14,062 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

pixelburp wrote: »
    Game addiction has been a hot topic for years now, and became more pertinent with the increasing presence of lootboxes, microtransactions and other gambling-adjacent features. This WAS always coming.

I really, really hope that when someone is diagnosed with this, and lets face it, it will most likely be children, will the doctor look at the parents/guardians? I'm sick to my teeth of seeing parents give their children games as an excuse to get some alone/quite time. I see it happening with my own nephews and nieces, the use gaming as an excuse to get some away time, and then turn around and give out about them playing it too much, when they are the enablers!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,540 ✭✭✭✭Varik

I really, really hope that when someone is diagnosed with this, and lets face it, it will most likely be children, will the doctor look at the parents/guardians? I'm sick to my teeth of seeing parents give their children games as an excuse to get some alone/quite time. I see it happening with my own nephews and nieces, the use gaming as an excuse to get some away time, and then turn around and give out about them playing it too much, when they are the enablers!

Doubt it. Parents will pass the blame because they can.

If alcohol got treated the same, you'd have parents protesting about manufactures and how fizzy, fruity, or whatever appeal to children.

At a certain age there's only so much you can do if they have their own money for other addictions, but here we'll have parents who wholly control their kids cash flow playing the victim.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Varik wrote: »
    If alcohol got treated the same, you'd have parents protesting about manufactures and how fizzy, fruity, or whatever appeal to children.

That did happen, in the late 90s... With the emergence of the alcoho-pops...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,540 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Star Lord wrote: »
    That did happen, in the late 90s... With the emergence of the alcoho-pops...

Those are still a thing aren't they, saw them being sold during heat wave last summer.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,433 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Childrens booze.

Babycham! It's booze for't baby!

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,286 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Some movement on game pass coming to PC:

https://twitter.com/pcgamer/status/1134082722488619009?s=19

Thought they would have kept that announcement for E3

Also meant to be bringing more games to steam and removing the UWP restriction on the Microsoft store: https://www.pcgamer.com/microsoft-games-on-steam-announced/

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Honestly, I'm kinda digging the way Microsoft seems to think of XBox and PC as being the same thing and that whilst the implementation's been a bit "lumpy" so far, they're moving towards a joined ecosystem where having an XBox is no longer a requirement if you've already got a PC and so I'll be keeping an eye on how this progresses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

Shiminay wrote: »
    Honestly, I'm kinda digging the way Microsoft seems to think of XBox and PC as being the same thing and that whilst the implementation's been a bit "lumpy" so far, they're moving towards a joined ecosystem where having an XBox is no longer a requirement if you've already got a PC and so I'll be keeping an eye on how this progresses.

What's the point of buying an Xbox at this stage?

The Microsoft-Nintendo bromance is blossoming nicely too. Expect to see xCloud on Switch being announced at E3. Cuphead was best selling game in Japan for a month (maybe longer, that was last I checked) who would have thunk Japanese kids would be loving a Microsoft game. Next up, Ori and the blind forest - expect that at E3 too.

Soon, none. But some people use that as a negative argument and fail to realise that's actually the plan.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,433 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I'd actually go so far as to say the PS4 provides very little to make it a worthwhile purchase over a PC either. A lot of the exclusives have disappointed me and there hasn't been the same volume of must haves the PS3 and PS2 had. My poor little Bloodborne player has barely been touched. I've actually used the Xbox One more to play old Xbox and 360 games (and at that mostly Ninja Gaiden because it's Bloodborne of the Xbox).

• Registered Users Posts: 28,103 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Plenty of people don't want a PC.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

It's easier for a kid to ask Santy for an XBox than a PC cause Mammy or Daddy knows they won't have to learn how to use an XBox or supervise what they're doing with it - or so the muggles think. Still lots of valid reasons to want to offer a "games only" machine without Windows and all that comes with that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

And even more people have PC's in a unsocial part of the house and not in front of the couch.
    I can only play games on my PC for an hour or so before my back gives in.
    Far easier to marathon games on a console.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,286 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

And even more people have PC's in a unsocial part of the house and not in front of the couch.
    I can only play games on my PC for an hour or so before my back gives in.
    Far easier to marathon games on a console.

You need a steam link in your life.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

Mickeroo wrote: »
    You need a steam link in your life.

I have the Nvidia equivalent through my Shield but it's flaky as fcuk at the best of times.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/1134087416258580480?s=19

In actual game news this is being remastered. I was sure this was or was going to be removed from general sale

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,357 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Impressive that they've committed to steam as well, wouldn't be surprised to see their games on Epic as well.

Also great that win32 games will be on their own store, it still needs some work, but they seem to be committed to improving it.

CatInABox wrote: »
    Impressive that they've committed to steam as well, wouldn't be surprised to see their games on Epic as well.

Also great that win32 games will be on their own store, it still needs some work, but they seem to be committed to improving it.

Win32 on the windows store will be essential to game pass working on PC, they wouldn't have enough of a library otherwise. It also potentially opens up pretty much your entire digital xbox library to becoming playable on PC at some point (I'd be surprised if it happened though).

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

ERG89 wrote: »
    In actual game news this is being remastered. I was sure this was or was going to be removed from general sale
    It was, more than likely due to rights expiration.

The Remastered version doesn't appear to have any branding from the original publisher, Atari, at all and instead seems to be published by Mad Dog Games who, if I had to guess, are the publishing arm of Saber Interactive, the developers on the project.

That Ghostbusters game wasn't bad... it wasn't great, but it was a bit of fun (for the most part) for fans, retreading some of the memorable scenes from the movie as a new recruit. I enjoyed it anyway, though a couple of bits were frustrating.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,357 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Win32 on the windows store will be essential to game pass working on PC, they wouldn't have enough of a library otherwise. It also potentially opens up pretty much your entire digital xbox library to becoming playable on PC at some point (I'd be surprised if it happened though).

They've already got Xbox One games running on PC, they recently had a round of testing on an Xbox game on PC. They didn't announce that's what it was, but people figured it out pretty quickly.

I think there could be a few surprises at E3 around this stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,576 ✭✭✭EoinHef

The best thing of a joined up eco system between Xbox and PC for me would be unrestricted cross play between the two. I only ever own one console each gen,not paying two subs,especially since i have a gaming PC to go with whichever console. So a PS4 and a PC would then be ther perfect marriage for me. Its still my preference currently but looks like MS could make it even more ideal.

Most of my IRL friends are just console players through and through,a PC is something they use once a year to book their holidays. And of course some have different preferences so have either and Xbox or PS. Been able to play with them all would be great. Especially if i can without needing both consoles.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement