Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gaming News

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,576 ✭✭✭EoinHef

nix wrote: »
    Not saying they ain't, just saying its no big whoop :)

To be truely F2P, they will have to give the expansions away for free also, which i doubt they will, not the new one anyway :pac:

No,i dont think giving the base game and year 1 away for free at this point is any great deal in isolation.

I do however find it interestimg to see how the franchise going forward will handle a potential F2P element.

I mean could you see Destiny 3 base game being F2P day one?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,772 ✭✭✭✭Penn

SomeSayKos wrote: »
    When I see someone play vr I don't think ' They look like a twat', I think ' That legend is in VR. lucky person!'

While I wouldn't go that far, looking like a twat is part of the fun when you have friends around. And if you're playing alone, who cares what you look like? No-one can see you.

There's never going to be a huge uptake for VR, due to a variety or reasons including cost, accessibility, and simple preferences some may have regarding just not wanting to play VR games and instead stick to COD or FIFA etc. But "looking like a twat" is pretty far down the list of reasons imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Penn wrote: »
    While I wouldn't go that far, looking like a twat is part of the fun when you have friends around. And if you're playing alone, who cares what you look like? No-one can see you.

There's never going to be a huge uptake for VR, due to a variety or reasons including cost, accessibility, and simple preferences some may have regarding just not wanting to play VR games and instead stick to COD or FIFA etc. But "looking like a twat" is pretty far down the list of reasons imo.

VR has some practical limitations it needs to resolve but the difference between people who have spent time in VR and those who havent is the former know what those practical limitations are, the latter come up stuff like headset weight and virtual height :o

Inerestingly enough I find the idea of playing a shooter in the 2D flat world fairly ridiculous now, aiming and looking with a mouse? Pfft whatever Grampa.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

Destiny shredded a lot of the goodwill they had built up with their community. Played the first game for three years and about a year into the second. Got my moneys worth but I have no desire to go back. Not learning from the mistakes from the first game was bad, some of the dlc was truly awful, hopefully this is the start of the developers taking some pride in their product and not exclusively chasing cash.

I'll go back at some point as the core gameplay is very good

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭SharpCoder

gimli2112 wrote: »
    Destiny shredded a lot of the goodwill they had built up with their community. Played the first game for three years and about a year into the second. Got my moneys worth but I have no desire to go back. Not learning from the mistakes from the first game was bad, some of the dlc was truly awful, hopefully this is the start of the developers taking some pride in their product and not exclusively chasing cash.

I'll go back at some point as the core gameplay is very good

think them issues were mostly activision's fault, not as much bungies

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

SharpCoder wrote: »
    think them issues were mostly activision's fault, not as much bungies

yeah there's debate over that though, they fell out spectacularly each blaming the other

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭SharpCoder

gimli2112 wrote: »
    yeah there's debate over that though, they fell out spectacularly each blaming the other

true, well noose is gone now, so time will tell and shed light n call bluffs now.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,433 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

The issue of 'looking like a twat' (pretty sure that's the correct technical term) isn't something that will spoil people's enjoyment of VR but it's something that does affect its ability to sell through to the masses.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,576 ✭✭✭EoinHef

When i had a Rift and broke it out for family and friends not one of them said i wouldnt use that because id look like a twat.

Nearly all of them thought it was too expensive or that it was too technical for them to use. Or that it was still a bit to janky with the wires.

The looking like a twat argument holds no water,the other barriers to entry are more of an obstacle.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,844 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    The issue of 'looking like a twat' (pretty sure that's the correct technical term) isn't something that will spoil people's enjoyment of VR but it's something that does affect its ability to sell through to the masses.

I only used VR (PSVR) once, at a con. My missus and friends made sure to point out how much of an eejit I looked and you know what, I had so much fun, I didn't care what I looked like.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,470 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Seems to me ‘looking like a twat’ is an innate quality of VR. Like if you want motion controlling plus being right up in front of a display... that’s always going to make you look weird from the outside. Can’t envision any major evolutions from that for quite some time. There’ll be refinements like the Quest - cutting down on some of the tedious setup and wiring. But seems like we’re destined for refinements rather than radical evolutions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Jerichoholic

Looking like a twat argument is preposterous. Do we all look like Hollywood stars at the Academy Awards staring slack-jawed at our TV's, swearing at nothing while twiddling our analogue sticks for hours on end?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

There's a company in Waterford developing VR for e-learning: https://immersivevreducation.com

• Registered Users Posts: 7,868 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

Both my Rift and PSVR are packed away, i really enjoyed them but the amount of cables and headsets and controllers all over the place was daft.

Realistically they need to make an egg tv that you sit inside and play rather than a headset.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,798 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

J Mysterio wrote: »
    There's a company in Waterford developing VR for e-learning: https://immersivevreducation.com

My friend works there :D

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Both my Rift and PSVR are packed away, i really enjoyed them but the amount of cables and headsets and controllers all over the place was daft.

Realistically they need to make an egg tv that you sit inside and play rather than a headset.

The Occulus Quest is heading in the right direction, but probably still a couple of generations away from me buying one.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

J Mysterio wrote: »

They made the Apollo 11 mission VR experience which I liked.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

Nichegamer with another article on emerging topics. This time it's about legacy media's attack on game-related video creators and the rage-bait journalism has needed to adopt.
    https://nichegamer.com/2019/06/07/opinion-im-mad-as-hell-and-im-not-going-to-take-this-anymore/
    https://www.invidio.us/watch?v=r-EQoCAnCiU
    6 months is a long time for a hit piece.

Starting to really appreciate Sophia Narwitz.

Destroy all humans remake
    https://www.escapistmagazine.com/v2/2019/06/07/destroy-all-humans-is-an-unlikely-yet-welcome-remake/

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,470 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

This time it's about legacy media's attack on game-related video creators and the rage-bait journalism has needed to adopt.

Thankfully we have the ‘One Angry Gamer’ instead, whose current top story is a rant about how a trailer for a new game features (I’m quoting directly here) “no sexy chicks”.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

I dunno, I'd prefer badly written rants about nekkid wimmens to SJW journos that inevitably turn out to be sex offenders

Yep, that's right folks, another tech journo gets lifted for being a sexual predator.

https://www.businessinsider.com/peter-bright-charges-attempting-solicit-sex-minors-2019-6?r=US&IR=T

In the words of Kevin Bridges: "Fookin look at him! If I was to draw a paedo...ye done something! Get intae Jail!"

I think its time we seriously looked at the toxic culture of sex offenders in tech journalism. Maybe have Kotaku investigate :D

• Advertisement

Bambi wrote: »
    I dunno, I'd prefer badly written rants about nekkid wimmens to SJW journos that inevitably turn out to be sex offenders

Yep, that's right folks, another tech journo gets lifted for being a sexual predator.

https://www.businessinsider.com/peter-bright-charges-attempting-solicit-sex-minors-2019-6?r=US&IR=T

In the words of Kevin Bridges: "Fookin look at him! If I was to draw a paedo...ye done something! Get intae Jail!"

I think its time we seriously looked at the toxic culture of sex offenders in tech journalism. Maybe have Kotaku investigate :D
    Used to enjoy his articles but always found his picture a bit disturbing...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,540 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Bambi wrote: »

Having a laugh at his Twitter account, constant moral grandstanding. Few replies to some of it popping up now.

XSeed Games - small but popular publisher behind some high quality translations and releases of smaller Japanese titles - getting a bit of a hammering for removing the credit of Brittany Avery from ps4 releases of Cold Steel games. She’s a localisation producer who worked on the games in question but has since left the company: https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2019-06-08-xseed-slammed-for-only-crediting-current-members-of-staff-in-its-games

Response from the publisher:

https://twitter.com/xseedgames/status/1137132042863251457?s=21

Hopefully they’ll have another look at their policy now. Sadly credits are often the only easily available public record of who worked on a game, so a shame to just arbitrarily delete their contribution after they’ve put so much work into getting it out there in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,844 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

WTF! The whole point of credits is to see who worked in the game whether they're with the company or not. If that was a normal policy, most game/film credits with be about 10 seconds long.

If she got her name removed from London detective mysteria's physical release as she think it might that's one thing as she physically worked on that and they're just changing the format, but from the look of it she didn't work on the PS4 version itself at all. There's some cross over in time after the Japanese PS4 release and before she left, but going by her own CV she didn't have the PS4 version down at all in any role. She was an editor on one of the games and VA director on both for the original release, the rest of her roles would have to be redone for a new release. Would it just have been an "additional thanks to" mention at the end.

Varik wrote: »
    the rest of her roles would have to be redone for a new release.

Only if the translation and voiceover were completely redone, and AFAIK (open to correction, but seems they added more voiceover rather than completely redoing what was there originally) they weren’t. If her localisation work is still in the game in any form, she deserves a credit. I’d make the same argument about a remaster of a game - the original team deserve their credit alongside the remastering studio.

Besides, the stated policy of not crediting people who’ve left the company is fundamentally crappy - as said, if they worked on the game in any noteworthy capacity, they deserve credit for that.

Only if the translation and voiceover were completely redone, and AFAIK (open to correction, but seems they added more voiceover rather than completely redoing what was there originally) they weren’t. If her localisation work is still in the game in any form, she deserves a credit. I’d make the same argument about a remaster of a game - the original team deserve their credit alongside the remastering studio.

Besides, the stated policy of not crediting people who’ve left the company is fundamentally crappy - as said, if they worked on the game in any noteworthy capacity, they deserve credit for that.
    She was an editor on one of the games and VA director on both for the original release, the rest of her roles would have to be redone for a new release

As I said, the rest of her roles would have been redone (ESRB handler, Marketing, QA). Would have just put her down in each role as special thanks or such for what was carried over.

As I said, the rest of her roles would have been redone (ESRB handler, Marketing, QA). Would have just put her down in each role as special thanks or such for what was carried over.

Ah my apologies there, I misread your post But yes absolutely no problem with new crediting where fresh work had to be done, only where the remaining original work isn’t credited - the localisation work in particular in this case. And as you say a special thanks credit for the origInal marketing / admin work would seem reasonable and fair.

• Advertisement

The CNET hitpiece was originally leaked by the writer's own staff earlier and now there's a part 2.
    1 2 3 4
    As a response from so many journo-activists meddling instead of just reporting, some creators are considering responding by using their same tactics against them

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement