Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gaming News

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

China has a **** load of problems, and it's Government are really ****ty, but they don't send people to jail for cheating in video games. As above, hacking or using malware for personal gain? Yeah, they'll be jailed (like they would be here). Big different between that and cheating.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Kiith wrote: »
    China has a **** load of problems, and it's Government are really ****ty, but they don't send people to jail for cheating in video games. As above, hacking or using malware for personal gain? Yeah, they'll be jailed (like they would be here). Big different between that and cheating.

South Korea does.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

In terms of the Red Candle case, the actions of the Chinese government aren't really relevant to them specifically as they're based in Taiwan, it's a pretty important distinction.

Now, if we're talking about their publishing partner, Indievent, then that's a different story as they're actually based in China. They've had their business licence revoked specifically because of this incident. If I was to speculate, between them not contesting the ruling and Red Candle repeatedly highlighting the damage they had inadvertently caused their "partner", I'd wager the apology is part of an effort to strengthen the case to get that ruling reversed and salvaging the public perception of the title, at least from the perspective of Chinese gamers.
    K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    Doesn't that law specifically target those "manufacturing and distributing" the software that breaches the TOS, rather than those using it? There was already a case where someone was convicted under it too: South Korean Overwatch hacker handed suspended prison sentence.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 WasupDude

Am I the Only one here, that is playing dota2? rise your hands if I am not.

WasupDude wrote: »
    Am I the Only one here, that is playing dota2? rise your hands if I am not.

Technically there's a MOBA forum: https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1600

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,468 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

gizmo wrote: »
    In terms of the Red Candle case, the actions of the Chinese government aren't really relevant to them specifically as they're based in Taiwan, it's a pretty important distinction.

Indeed, I think Taiwanese developers being 'disappeared' by China for a wayward art asset would fall under the category of 'massive international diplomatic crisis' that I'm sure even the authoritarian regime in Beijing would be reticent to provoke.

Still, beyond the grim outcome for the publisher involved (and can't imagine how horrid Red Candle must feel), it is chilling that a negative political reaction in China can effectively sink a game globally.

Rock Paper Shotgun has an interesting piece up chatting to a few publishers who do business (or, as the case may well be, don't do business) in China: https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2019/07/16/china-forced-one-horror-game-publisher-to-close-but-the-whole-region-felt-it/
    “I don’t see any of the Chinese companies approaching… video game developers in Taiwan any time soon. Some have terminated the partnership with Taiwan-based companies right after Devotion got pulled from sale"

• Registered Users Posts: 29,844 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

That hugely ambitious Kickstarter game Raw has had its page cancelled by Kickstarter as it gave an update that their 70k goal isn't enough to make the game and they need to seek funds elsewhere. KS not happy with that and have now cancelled pledges. What I'm not sure of though, does that me backers have been refunded or just you can't back it any longer?

Watching the trailer of this when it was announced, no way it was a 70k game.

https://www.unilad.co.uk/gaming/hugely-ambitious-gta-online-inspired-mmo-suspended-by-kickstarter/?source=gaming

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    That hugely ambitious Kickstarter game Raw has had its page cancelled by Kickstarter as it gave an update that their 70k goal isn't enough to make the game and they need to seek funds elsewhere. KS not happy with that and have now cancelled pledges. What I'm not sure of though, does that me backers have been refunded or just you can't back it any longer?

https://www.unilad.co.uk/gaming/hugely-ambitious-gta-online-inspired-mmo-suspended-by-kickstarter/?source=gaming
    From the source article at PCGamesN...
    Kickstarter pledges are typically only charged once a fully-funded project’s campaign ends, so backers will face no charges for the cancelled pledges.

As for the project itself, after watching their trailer and reading this developer update, I genuinely can't understand why anyone would have pledged.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,943 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

$70k for a GTAO clone? There's a fierce bang of Rich Energy off this.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,844 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

gizmo wrote: »
    From the source article at PCGamesN...

As for the project itself, after watching their trailer and reading this developer update, I genuinely can't understand why anyone would have pledged.

Have to say, for a 3 person team, that trailer they released was fairly impressive. What a way to start their update...
    We are a small team of 3 people: Artur (29 y.o., Finland, game designer, founder), Alex (29 y.o., Russia, programmer, co-founder) and Daria (25 y.o., Germany,who is writing right now this post for you and very often answers to your comments and messages (sorry, I don't always answer politely enough – I get sometimes my period (Markus, danke für “big balls” in deinem Kommentar, die habe ich leider nicht :))

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,976 ✭✭✭OptimusTractor

Zero-Cool wrote: »

I bet 70k that anyone who pledged to this has also given money for Star Citizen.

I bet 70k that anyone who pledged to this has also given money for Star Citizen.

Could be a get-rich-quick scheme.
    Get some of your friends to back the high-tier immediately (getting you to 50% of your goal) then watch the regular backers trickle in.

Or they're just naive as hell :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,461 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

Star Citizen? is that the game that our grandchildren will be playing?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,604 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Skerries wrote: »

Ever the optimist Skerries.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

A game your bannerlords will enjoy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Jerichoholic

The people who were buying ships for 100's of dollars in that game deserve to be ripped off.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

The people who were buying ships for 100's of dollars in that game deserve to be ripped off.

Have to agree with that. I don't know what would drive people to spend massive amounts of money on ships, in a game that there is no guarantee will ever be finished. It is nuts.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,432 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Story DLC for the best game this year, Ace Combat 7 (fight me), teased for september.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,942 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

The trailers are great but the games are soooo boring.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,432 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Thargor wrote: »
    The trailers are great but the games are soooo boring.

:eek: What game are you playing!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

A currently-sold game Cortex Command has gone open source: https://github.com/DataRealms/CCOSS
    It has steam workshop modding support so it's possible that we'll get to see if there's a big difference in modding capability when a game's code is open. That's assuming the modders for this title know the language, have the interest + skill. Still I love this kind of move.

Latest steam client update: https://store.steampowered.com/news/52467/
    It's all the beta stuff rolled into stable. Mostly finicky stuff. Still no UI overhaul.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

StarCraft pro and caster Geoff 'InControl' Robinson died last night. He was only 33. Seemed to be an unspecified illness.

unfortunately at that age it is most likely drugs or suicide

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,468 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

unfortunately at that age it is most likely drugs or suicide

We have absolutely no idea how he died outside of a "short illness", and to speculate otherwise is based on nothing. There are countless causes of death for people in their 30s.

Perhaps his family will be willing to divulge the cause of death in time. They are under no obligation to do so, as is their absolute right. A well-known individual has died far too young - that's a tragedy under any circumstances, and publicly floating possible causes of death is completely unnecessary.

ok to lighten the mood

kgqg3e8bpub31.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

Layoffs of Activision execs and details of it apparently verified in confidence to the quartering: https://youtu.be/SPm7mF7nDzA
    Activision is denying it publicly.

UK GC says FIFA packs aren't gambling: https://nichegamer.com/2019/07/24/uk-gambling-commission-claims-fifa-packs-are-not-gambling/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

Sounds like they are taking the same approach our own Gov took; unless you win money, it aint gambling!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,540 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Might effect Valve, since their inventory system and marketplace is integrated to a lot of games. As said 3rd party trading might be an issue, so can see that going.

Wonder about the steam cards too with the second bit about promotional raffles.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Mechwarrior 5 Mercenaries is the latest game to go Epic Store exclusive. Needless to say fan's are not happy.
    https://www.pcgamer.com/mechwarrior-5-mercenaries-is-delayed-will-be-an-epic-games-store-exclusive/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,776 ✭✭✭Mark Hamill

From that article:
    “The Gambling Act tells us that gambling means playing a game of chance for a prize, and you can certainly see circumstances where a loot box might fall within that definition, but where things become a bit more complicated are when one looks at the definition of prize, and prize is defined as being money or money’s worth. What that means is that the prize must mean something that is equivalent to money.”

So the argument is that the things in loot boxes have no real "money's worth" therefore they don't count as gambling. But doesn't that only apply to loot box market places where you can't also buy the item you want directly for a set amount of money? Isn't the main defence for e.g. Overwatch that you can buy skins directly and bypass the loot boxes if you want to. Therefore those skins have a set "money's worth".

This argument really amounts to "it is gambling if you can avoid the gambling mechanics and it is not gambling if you can't"?

And of course that is leaving aside the question of "money's worth" in of itself. If some people are willing to spend money on the chance of getting something, that implies that thing is worth money to them.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement