Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gaming News

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I think he means that some console users are pissed that they have to pay, when it'll be free on the pc.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Kiith wrote: »
    I think he means that some console users are pissed that they have to pay, when it'll be free on the pc.
    I guess some might be all right? The only reaction I've really seen so far have been of the "we'd better not have to pay for it" variety with respect to the online multiplayer functionality.

It's interesting that Hyrb was quite specific when he mentioned that as not requiring a subscription. I'd wager they'll still have a subscription fee option, possibly for Games for Gold style freebies and discounts. It'd be a shame if they tried to lock cross platform play behind it though.

Yeah, its not exactly fair that pc gamers would get it for free when console users need to pay for it. They know that it wouldn't take off if they did try to charge for it though. There's no way i'd pay for access to a Gold type service on the pc. It'd be like paying for access to Steam.

Anyway, until i actually see some proof of cross platform play, i'm still very skeptical that it'll ever even happen.

Yeah, its not exactly fair that pc gamers would get it for free when console users need to pay for it. They know that it wouldn't take off if they did try to charge for it though. There's no way i'd pay for access to a Gold type service on the pc. It'd be like paying for access to Steam.

Anyway, until i actually see some proof of cross platform play, i'm still very skeptical that it'll ever even happen.
    You mean proof of it outside of the reveal (and possibly questionable demo) with Fable Legends at the Windows 10 event a few weeks ago?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,202 ✭✭✭maximoose

Gameinformer played cross-play yesterday

• Advertisement

Ah...carry on so :o

Nice to actually see it happening, and it would be great to get this happening on more titles.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

to back up our point

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2893767/pc-gamers-wont-pay-to-play-xbox-live-games-online-and-console-owners-are-furious.html

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

60 quid a year (less if you know where to look) is an absolute pittance to play online. It's nothing. Its just over one euro for a week. Compare that to what you pay your ISP.

Xbox or playstation players who grumble about paying for it deserve a giant one of these. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭C14N

Kirby wrote: »
    60 quid a year (less if you know where to look) is an absolute pittance to play online. It's nothing. Its just over one euro for a week. Compare that to what you pay your ISP.

Yeah but it's not an either-or thing. You have to pay it in addition to the ISP bill. It's not really comparable either when you consider the vast number of other things the internet lets you do, while the multiplayer sub just lets you play games and just on one console.

I don't really care either way since I don't even play online when it's free, it's just that you're kind of comparing apples to toasters on this one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Xbox or playstation players who grumble about paying for it deserve a giant one of these. :rolleyes:

I don't think most console players do complain most of my mates could care less I think the ones that complain are young kids been trolls on the internet but anyone that can afford to buy games for ps4 or xbox one wouldn't care plus they have a good few free games every month if you are into the indie games.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

On the PS4 and PS3 anyway, you get €250 worth of free games and DLC per year along with your online sub of €50. It's like a constant Steam Sale. Games with Gold on XBL for €60 is still not close to matching it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

On the PS4 and PS3 anyway, you get €250 worth of free games and DLC per year along with your online sub of €50. It's like a constant Steam Sale. Games with Gold on XBL for €60 is still not close to matching it.

Personally myself I don't like any of the free games on ps4 im just not into them but the ones on the ps3 since the ps4 came out have all been very good deals but I didn't keep my ps3 haha. 60 quid a year is nothing most of the people complaining about it would go and spend few 100 quid on ultimate team packs without a second thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭C14N

That's not technically true though. You don't get "free games", you just subscribe to a service that lets you play them. If you stop paying for it, you lose the games. As far as I'm aware, it's not even like Netflix or Spotify because you don't get to play games from months that you weren't subscribed.

It's a pretty good deal for people who were planning on staying subscribed all the time to play online anyway but it's certainly not "free" games.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I think the issue about the non free nature of the PS+ games has been debated to death elsewhere but, as far as I am concerned, being a subscriber to both the XBL Gold and PS+ services at least I get the option on the Sony format and lose out on little by staying on the free option.
    If you stick with MS and their silver free online option you get a hobbled service
    And, as I have the choice to pay for PS+ I pay gladly as I get to access all of those lovely games.
    No, they aren't free but with every passing month and the fact I've a PS3, PS4 and a Vita attached to my account the library of full titles gets bigger and the value gets better and better, for such a minor outlay.
    I don't in visage myself cancelling my PS account anytime soon, so I'm happy to consider the games mine until the day comes when I do.

On the other hand the only area that this service and digital only downloads in general have an issue, you are entirely in the hands of the company's servers how long a game is, in the case of a online only game, functional or simply hosted.
    If you are unfortunate have your 360 die on you and had spent your money on Marvel Vs Capcom 2 you're out of luck because its not there any more.
    Sega lost the Ferrari licence so if you delete or other wise lose Outrun 2006 HD from your PSN or XBLA library you won't be downloading it again because they don't host it.
    And this is why, if a game is really good, I'll just buy the physical copy so, as long as the optical drive works, I'll always have access to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

C14N wrote: »
    That's not technically true though. You don't get "free games", you just subscribe to a service that lets you play them. If you stop paying for it, you lose the games.

That's only true with PS+. Xbox live lets you keep the games.

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭gazzamc

Steam gives you free games too during the weekends, you can extend it afterwards by changing your time on the PC.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

[/B]

That's only true with PS+. Xbox live lets you keep the games.

xbox live lets you keep the 360 games, not the xbox one games, for the one you need an active gold sub.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

gazzamc wrote: »
    Steam gives you free games too during the weekends, you can extend it afterwards by changing your time on the PC.

Wow, so simple, never considered it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

Gaben and Notch make it into the Forbes rich list with 1.3 Billion each

http://www.digitaltrends.com/gaming/gabe-notch-forbes-billionaires-2015/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭bugs

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    If you are unfortunate have your 360 die on you and had spent your money on Marvel Vs Capcom 2 you're out of luck because its not there any more.
    Sega lost the Ferrari licence so if you delete or other wise lose Outrun 2006 HD from your PSN or XBLA library you won't be downloading it again because they don't host it.
    And this is why, if a game is really good, I'll just buy the physical copy so, as long as the optical drive works, I'll always have access to it.

I'm not sure about the 360 but if you have purchased a digital copy of outrun or similar on psn, its available to redownload indefinitely to your account. Capcom clarified this a while back with umvsc3 dlc.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

bugs wrote: »
    I'm not sure about the 360 but if you have purchased a digital copy of outrun or similar on psn, its available to redownload indefinitely to your account. Capcom clarified this a while back with umvsc3 dlc.

I bought Marvel vs Capcom for Vita. All I need to do to retrieve it is to go to my download list.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,936 ✭✭✭rizzla

bugs wrote: »

Works the same on 360 too. Rock Band tracks are delisted all the time due to licensing but once you have purchased it when it was available it's yours forever*, just need to locate it in your history and re download it.

*maybe not forever, but there hasn't been a case yet were you couldn't re download something that had been removed once you purchased it when available.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

rizzla wrote: »
    Works the same on 360 too. Rock Band tracks are delisted all the time due to licensing but once you have purchased it when it was available it's yours forever*, just need to locate it in your history and re download it.

*maybe not forever, but there hasn't been a case yet were you couldn't re download something that had been removed once you purchased it when available.

I'd be interested to see if it still applies to the likes of Outrun 2 HD on XBLA/PSN, as Sega lost the Ferrari license and can't sell the physical game or the digital one any more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

I'd be interested to see if it still applies to the likes of Outrun 2 HD on XBLA/PSN, as Sega lost the Ferrari license and can't sell the physical game or the digital one any more.

Capcom lost the license for Marvel iirc that's why they pulled the Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3 game from the store. I can still access it from my download list for my Vita.

gizmo wrote: »

They want him to take down the Vita version of TxK as well!

They want him to take down the Vita version of TxK as well!
    Yup :(

Jeff Minter has replied to the whole fiasco here.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

If you own it, you own it, and you'll still be able to download it from the xbox live marketplace regardless of whatever hassles there are with publishers / rights, etc. It just wont be visible or available to buy for new customers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,369 ✭✭✭the incredible pudding

gizmo wrote: »
    Yup :(

Jeff Minter has replied to the whole fiasco here.

What a joke, the law surely is an ass. I wish "Atari" would just close and thereby stop dragging their name and legacy through the s**t.

• Advertisement

This article/interview is doing the rounds this morning and it's as pretty great read.

It touches on one of my personal issues about games these days and that's the horrible air of negativity that generally surrounds them. The closing paragraphs, however, deal with that quite nicely. :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement