Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gaming News

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,776 ✭✭✭Mark Hamill

Capra wrote: »
    Just listened to this young lad on the radio. No personality whatsoever.

No different to 99% of sports stars interviewed after matches then. I wouldn't be one to listen to sports news on the radio in general, but I cannot stand to listen to any interviews particularly of football players, who all seem to talk with the same monotone "eh"-filled drones.
    Not even a hint of an Irish accent either. He could literally be from any corner of the planet and you wouldn't know.

So? Accents change, some disappear, who cares?
    Is this where we are going? Kids with stunted social skills winning obscene amounts of money for spending 16 hours a day playing games? I remember when I used to play games a lot. You become so incredibly bad at interacting with people around you but you don't notice it. Aside from becoming good at video games I see no positive skills to be learned from becoming good at video games.

But maybe that's where we are headed anyway and all the life skills that would benefit people in the past will be irrelevant. It's all a bit sad.

As Sabre0001 said, life balance is very important, but the thing that will break that here is training/life management and reacting to large winnings, both of which can effect any young person who becomes high level in physical sports too. Look at all the young (and old) high level sports stars who have repeatedly gotten in trouble with the law for anti-social offences, philandering, assault, both physical and sexual etc and tell me that they have great life skills. Do you think the high level of spousal abuse in the NFL is a coincidence, or the demeaning online banter by those two NI rugby players accused of rape last year was an isolated incidence? A lot of money can easily go to peoples heads, especially when they are young. And isolated social groups (that heavily cross over with your work group) will create feedback loops for bad behaviour.
    I don't see how you can learn any real interpersonal skills when you can't even see the other persons face or body language. That's probably a more important part of communication than words alone. They are also only half concentrating on the conversation as a large part of their focus will obviously be on the game.

Which means that their conversation skills must be extremely quick, clear and thorough, to be able to communicate so efficiently while neither they nor their team mate are completely concentrating on the conversation.
    The fact that you are sitting down and getting no exercise and seeing no faces cannot be good. At least with real sports kids are getting exercise at the very least.

So no different to any cubicle office job then? Or high level training for classical music or something like chess from a young age?

Again, life balance = good.
    Sudden lots of money to (what may be an unsupervised) young person, plus young person in small work/social bubble = bad.
    Money going to peoples head, and being insulated from the real world is nothing even remotely new.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Jerichoholic

I don't see how you can learn any real interpersonal skills when you can't even see the other persons face or body language

Go to any pub and most people are just looking at their phone. It's not a video game thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,976 ✭✭✭OptimusTractor

Friend of mine works in the kitchen of the RTE canteen told me the next Primetime Investigation will look at Ninja's decision to move to Mixer.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

Friend of mine works in the kitchen of the RTE canteen told me the next Primetime Investigation will look at Ninja's decision to move to Mixer.
    Did you mean to post in gaming humour?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,976 ✭✭✭OptimusTractor

Did you mean to post in gaming humour?

Depends. Is the comment funny?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,470 ✭✭✭SolvableKnave

Depends. Is the comment funny?

giphy.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

^^^^
    took me a split second to realise I wasn't deaf, I simply have the ability to lip read

Massive dox by SOPA/PIPA-supportive ESA

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Massive dox by SOPA/PIPA-supportive ESA

Sounds more like a breach of web security than doxxing, which is deliberate.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,844 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,604 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Well that'll end well. Odds on at least one journo getting doxxed or SWATed don't feel high in my mind.

Reads like a colossal balls up by someone on the web team.

Ironically, Sophia Narwitz's video helped it spread.
    Muppet :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    Sounds more like a breach of web security than doxxing, which is deliberate.

Would the contact info being shared in so many places around the web not count as doxxing?

pixelburp wrote: »
    Well that'll end well. Odds on at least one journo getting doxxed or SWATed don't feel high in my mind.

Reads like a colossal balls up by someone on the web team.

Balls up for sure, but its mind-blowing that anyone could ever think that linking a spreadsheet with peoples contact info on it to a web page was in any way a good idea!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,540 ✭✭✭✭Varik

I recognised a good few big names, but a lot of those address were the same so assume the company address but doubt that's the case for all of them and I've no idea what US numbers look like so no clue. Some emails were gmail so may be personal.

Not just journalist and youtuber/streamers, a good few from devs and the like. Mixer has a load of people, and a few Xbox.

Does GDRP apply to EU citizens in this case, even if it did could they fine them or do anything about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Varik wrote: »

Does GDRP apply to EU citizens in this case, even if it did could they fine them or do anything about it.

Yes if they are an EU citizen.

Hardly a dox tho more like a poor web setup.

dreamers75 wrote: »
    Yes if they are an EU citizen.

Would say the ESA didn't dox, but the guy on the forum where I say it did.

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    Ironically, Sophia Narwitz's video helped it spread.
    Muppet :rolleyes:
    Reporting it isn't 'spreading' it. By that logic the first place to report it would get the blame. Anyone who wants to get their hands on it for malicious purposes can do so easily and isn't relying on patreon-funded journalists.
    dreamers75 wrote: »
    That's a reasonable conclusion if we weren't talking about ESA.

Alanah getting a lawsuit going for justice. Sounds like anything more than email, phone call, text they get because of the leak, i.e someone calling to your home/office, needs to be documented for the attorney, sounds like they can make something out of that.

I wonder how many journo's will proceed, what they would be looking for and what the outcome might be.

https://twitter.com/Charalanahzard/status/1157737101456097281?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    I wonder how many journo's will proceed, what they would be looking for and what the outcome might be.

Money would be my guess.

Wonder how E3 is doing in general, would this kill it off.

Publishers and platform holders already shifting to more exclusive events, or partnerships deals. Do any of them have the wherewithal to know they might be putting themselves out of a job in the long run with any preferential treatment at these events.

Just looking through some of the replies, there's people there who've hosted coverage for the ESA. Whatever they get better be worth it as they're doing themselves out of a job.

• Advertisement

Well yeah money, but 2000 possible cases could end E3 and as Varik said, already on the way out. Saying that E3 should be big next year with the console reveals, if Sony decides to show up anyway. I know US lawsuits can get silly money but i have no clue, legally, what would be the outcome of a company accidentally publishing your private number and address.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,249 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

It's hardly a doxxing, which implies malicious intent. This is just straight up every day moronic incompetence.

Most of the details seem to be company address and email. Numbers might be personal.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,249 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Varik wrote: »
    Most of the details seem to be company address and email. Numbers might be personal.

Apparently most of the Freelance Journalists gave their home addresses, simply because they don't have work addresses to give, same with their phone numbers.

The King of Fighters XV:
    In development
    C6JWnfK.jpg

New Guilty Gear (2020)

Tekken 7: Season 3
    Zafina, new character Leroy Smith (the rumour of Snake has been deconfirmed for now)

Dragon Ball FighterZ: Janemba announced

Soulcalibur VI: Cassandra, Season 2, Haohmaru (guest from SamSho)

Street Fighter V: Season 4
    E. Honda, Poison, Lucia

Under Night In-Birth Exe:Late[cl-r]

BlazBlue Cross Tag Battle 2.0
    Yumi (Senran Kagura Estival Versus), Akatsuki & Blitztank (Akatsuki Blitzkampf), Neo Politan (RWBY)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,431 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

The current Trump administration is being very progress and blaming gun violence on videogames:

https://metro.co.uk/2019/08/06/donald-trump-american-politicians-blaming-video-games-us-shootings-10526958/

And since this has already been brought up in Californian court and promptly thrown out on the grounds that it violates freedom of speech, it's akin to doing absolutely nothing about the problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

I was going to comment on this the other day but every time some loon tries to link a mass shooting to video games I seem to raise it here. His second point was we have to tackle violence in society "portrayed by grim and gruesome videogames"
    the language is colourful at least

• Registered Users Posts: 23,180 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

It's a mental place really, isn't it? Such a fetish for guns. Rest of the developed world has games but we're not shooting each other to bits, by the way.

I've grown totally desensitised to all their shooting massacres anyway. When nothing changed over there after Sandy Hook, a literal classroom full of 6 year olds blown away by an assault rifle, then nothing ever will. They'll never change so let them blame what they want.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,604 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    The current Trump administration is being very progress and blaming gun violence on videogames:

https://metro.co.uk/2019/08/06/donald-trump-american-politicians-blaming-video-games-us-shootings-10526958/

And since this has already been brought up in Californian court and promptly thrown out on the grounds that it violates freedom of speech, it's akin to doing absolutely nothing about the problem.

I said it elsewhere, but the irony is that the games industry deserves more political scrutiny, because of the gambling mechanics being snuck into AAA releases. The target is valid but the reason is not only histrionic, but archaic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Just a heads up for some folk...

https://twitter.com/capcomusa_/status/1158797527241695233

That comment about re-downloading it if you've previously purchased it is gona cause some consternation. :o

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement