Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gaming News

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    Exactly.

Anyway, here is a pic from the updated website which has since been pulled. Corvette C7. Not exactly affordable but not a hyper car either. Neon.....neon everywhere.

https://i.redd.it/ddhik35yuag31.jpg]

I would say except neons under the car, but the car's so low to the ground that I doubt that light could escape...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,062 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Also looks like it will be called Need for Speed: Heat. Countdown clock is on for the reveal, 1 hour and 37 minutes :

https://www.ea.com/games/need-for-speed/onetime-37-qrx

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

It'll be rotten with micro-transactions and loot-boxes and still nowhere near as good as Most Wanted as a game.

I'm kinda hoping they learned their lessons with Payback. The system in play there was terrible, and I'm pretty sure the drop in people playing soon after, because of these upgrades, have learned them. They updated them not too long after launch to be better, but it still couldn't save the game. Iirc, the gameplay was grand but the upgrading was terrible, and it also suffered from supercar superiority. Seeing the Corvette in the screenshot above has me wary, as it probably means that there are other proper supercars in it, which will not be good imo. Forza this is not.

Edit: Reveal in 1 minute, called Need for Speed Heat

Ugh, supercars. Will have to watch it again a few times, but first viewing has shown me Lambos and Porches. Also heavily featured is a Volvo!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,468 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

Looking good to me! :)

• Advertisement

Gameplay reveal at Gamescom in 5 days. Literally no other information on it on the website. Don't like a line they have on it though:

"Customize your supercar to leave the competition in your rearview or shake off a full-scale police pursuit"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Jerichoholic

Looks fine. Miami? Vice City Racing. There's some Hot Pursuit action going on in there. All I ask is for an 80's radio station. The music in that trailer is already dirt.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,844 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

I'm actually liking the look of that. I created a new thread for it, put the dev blog in there but sounds promising. Sounds like Pro Street/Shift during the day, regular illegal racing at night with an extra rogue police force looking to take you down. Getting whiffs of a lot of different games in the series....except Payback...

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058006608

"What we can confirm is that customisation options are earned through the completion of in-game events. For example, you spot a street race on your map and notice it has a new performance part up for grabs. Win the race, win the part. Speed cards from NFS Payback are gone."

So looks like Timesplitters is coming back in the near future. Originally at Rare working on GoldenEye and Perfect Dark, then leaving to create Free Radical and the Timesplitters franchise, co-creator Steve Ellis is on board with THQ Nordic!

Also:

* New Saints Row game is deep in development and will be a full release
    * Dambuster Studios (HomeFront The Revolution) is now in charge of Dead Island franchise
    * Galaxy on Fire developer Fishlabs is working on a new intellectual property.
    * THQ Nordic have acquired:
    - Milestone, the Italian studio behind Ride, MotoGP & MXGP
    - Gunfire Games (Darksiders 3)
    - Goodbye Kansas Game Invest, which gives THQ Nordic “a portfolio of minority investments in five early-stage development studios: Palindrome Interactive, Fall Damage, Neon Giant, Kavalri and Framebunker as well as royalty rights to THQ Nordic’s upcoming game Biomutant.”

• Advertisement

So looks like Timesplitters is coming back in the near future. Originally at Rare working on GoldenEye and Perfect Dark, then leaving to create Free Radical and the Timesplitters franchise, co-creator Steve Ellis is on board with THQ Nordic!

Awesome! The quote from their report was:

"Last year Deep Silver acquired the much-loved TimeSplitters IP. We’re delighted to announce that one of the series’ creators, Steve Ellis, has joined us to help plot the future course for this franchise."

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,468 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Dead Island 2 is stuck in a deep layer of development hell - third studio in change now, and a big demotion from the previous two who at least have some pedigree (Sumo seem to have got bogged down with too many projects at once though).

Does anyone even care about the game? I mean the first is basically best known for a cinematic trailer, and by all accounts Dying Light is the actual successor people wanted. Dead Island 2 just seems like such a tragic, hopeless folly... although much of THQ Nordic’s output and efforts fall into that category.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

I honestly don't get the love for timesplitters?

Timesplitters 2 was brilliant. Fun, over the top, and just completely bonkers, with very solid (for the time) gameplay mechanics underpinning it.

I didn't get the love that the third one got, i didn't enjoy it anywhere near as much as 2.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,431 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I feel timesplitters will be as well. It's not a series that aged well. Feels very dated.

I honestly don't get the love for timesplitters?

What age are you? :pac: Timesplitters was just amazing. Pre-online days, local 4 player death matches, movement/shooting that was well ahead of anything else (more or less) at the time. Crazy characters, good story, loads of maps/levels... It was just brilliant (1 & 2)!

As for Dead Island 2, I'm still waiting for it. It doesn't really bother me Dying Light did it better, I still thoroughly enjoyed playing through 1 and Riptide.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

I'm preparing myself to be disappointed with the new Saints Row game. THQ Nordic don't seem to have the environment to make a game of that stature. Darksiders 3 should have been a big game for them but turned out to be a full priced budget title.

They had something just right with 2, 3 was a bit disappointing but 4 was amazing, and Gat out of Hell was brilliant to, imo. Agents of Mayhem was terribly disappointing, so it looks like a trend:

1 - Ok
    2 - Brilliant
    3 - Ok
    4 - Brilliant
    Agents of Mayhem - Terrible
    5 - Brilliant?

Agents wasn't that bad. Wouldn't call it terrible at all.

Agents wasn't that bad. Wouldn't call it terrible at all.

Ah I gave it a load of chances but gave up not very far in (I think). Just felt flat and bland. No fun.

• Advertisement

One I came across today I hadn't heard of before was Decay of Logos and it's out in a few weeks. Priced to have my interest at least at 19.99

There was an AMA on reddit with the developers earlier. https://www.reddit.com/r/xboxone/comments/cqcgll/we_are_about_to_release_an_arpg_called_decay_of/

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

^^ Looks clunky and a lot like Ashen (fcuk that game)

They had something just right with 2, 3 was a bit disappointing but 4 was amazing, and Gat out of Hell was brilliant to, imo. Agents of Mayhem was terribly disappointing, so it looks like a trend:

1 - Ok
    2 - Brilliant
    3 - Ok
    4 - Brilliant
    Agents of Mayhem - Terrible
    5 - Brilliant?

I never played 1 but was blown away by 2. I hated 3 and couldn't get into any of the rest of them. I'd love if they bright it back to 2 before it went completely bat**** crazy.

https://twitter.com/TroyBakerVA/status/1161713375262285824?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 7,668 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

Time****ters?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,431 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

They really nailed Saints Row 2. It was the right amount of knowingly stupid with the right amount of silliness. The other games they doubled down on the stupid and it kind of just didn't work. It was way too try hard.

Between this and the pc building simulator, I'm fairly sure PlayStation are trolling.

Looks like Sniper 2 on the PS2 but with worse performance. Also you know it's quality when the developer can't even be bothered to anti-alias their own logo.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    They really nailed Saints Row 2. It was the right amount of knowingly stupid with the right amount of silliness. The other games they doubled down on the stupid and it kind of just didn't work. It was way too try hard.

I could just about tolerate 3 but 4 and Gatt out of Hell were a bridge too far for me, and with agents of mayhem they doubled down and added extra repetition. What could have been in their spiel before the game came been a good game turned out to be copy paste gameplay and areas with different characters.

Ah I gave it a load of chances but gave up not very far in (I think). Just felt flat and bland. No fun.

I played a decent amount, never felt anything other than a decent game, overlooked and unfairly compared to Saints. What it is is absolutely fine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,766 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I really enjoyed Saints Row 4. I never played much of the other SR games (tried SR2 I think but just couldn't get into it). That said, it was more Crackdown 3 than Saints Row 4, and from the sounds of things was a better Crackdown 3 than Crackdown 3 was.

But I enjoyed the powers, the stupidity, the weapons etc. The humour was hit and miss but it was generally enjoyable. Some sections were forced and annoying, but never lasted too long.

I'd love a Saints Row 5 along the same lines as 4. If they returned to a more realistic side of things I'm not sure I'd bother with it, as the powers and abilities were what really made SR4 fun to play.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement