Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gaming News

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

Played SR3 and it was an enjoyable enough experience I suppose. I'd have no desire to dip back into the franchise. The humour is painfully unfunny for the most part.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,180 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Saints Row 2 was a blast. It's store brand GTA but I had more fun with it than GTA 4 or 5. The insurance fraud minigame alone was probably more enjoyable than anything in the recent GTAs. Soundtrack was great too.

SR3 was fun but the superpowers in SR4 made things trivial.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

• Launch Trailer for Ion Fury here. Shame it doesn't have it's own thread. It deserves it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,431 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Played a load of it last night. It's really good. It's so nice to play a FPS with some actual gods honest level design.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,604 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Launch Trailer for Ion Fury here. Shame it doesn't have it's own thread. It deserves it.

There is, technically ;)https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058006873

Yeah it really does look the business: proper old-school FPS action with maze design.

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭SomeSayKos

Was just reading about this last night and see that its made with the Build engine!
    Deadly!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,468 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

Ooh, €21 isn't a bad price for Ion Fury!
    I'm not paid until the 28th though, so hopefully I remember then :D

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,357 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Commandos 2 HD. My PC couldn't run these when they first came out(!), but these looked ace to me.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,604 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I'm not so proud that I can't admit ... ... I never made it past the tutorial level in Commandos 2. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,923 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

With this and Desperados 3 on the way, it's a good time for retro stealthy tactics.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

Is it just commandos 2? did they do the first one? third one?

Do you get them cheap if you already have them? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

https://www.polygon.com/2019/8/18/20811014/apex-legends-iron-crown-skins-developers-rant-ass-hats-freeloaders-pc-ps4-xbox-one

Surprised they didn't all gear up and go on a killing spree. This is what happens when gamers get annoyed, they're mean to each other online. I do find relationships between developers and consumers deteriorating. Probably stems from all the negative crap posted online but some devs need to cop themselves on too.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Things like this always remind me off football crowds. They'll spend 90 minutes shouting and screaming abuse at a player and then act all offended and upset if the player gives them anything back.

I've no doubt that there are gamers who are being dicks to the developers - just look at the Epic store lunacy. By the same point these skin prices are egregious, but you know what? You don't need them, they offer no gameplay improvements or advantages and the game costs you nothing to play.

I haven't read the thread, but can imagine its content so TBH I'd be 100% on the side of the developers here; why on earth would anyone get into this industry as a career? Your employers will likely work you into a decrepit pile of bones, meanwhile, if your audience gets any sniff of your contact / personal details you'll be harassed and bullied online. Maybe even have SWAT charge through your door.

The monetisation of gaming is a pox and the main reason I stay the hell away from AAA gaming, but taking it out on the developers, those who'd have little to zero input in these BUSINESS decisions? F*cking gamers. Preaching to the choir here a little 'cos I know most wouldn't do that sort of thing, but Jesus Christ like...

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭PaddyBomb

The amount of abuse Apex players hurl at the developers on that subreddit and a developer calls one player a dick and now there's articles about it. Jesus christ!

I agree that the pricing for their new event is ridiculous but they admitted their mistake and have given a solution for people who want to purchase items individually. The players still responded negatively to this. It's simple, if you don't like the price of something, don't buy it.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,284 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Looking at the screenshots in that article the devs were pretty sensible and level headed in their replies.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,431 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

It's can be a fantastically rewarding job and lots of people like to work on something they love. I actually really enjoyed coded and the problem solving behind it. It's just with some much competition for jobs and how the attitude of big corporations in America is changing against their workforce it's just total exploitation. When you are younger and know no better you'll that that **** and have the energy to work those crazy hours and you will be taken advantage of. It's just turned completely toxic.

Gamers as well don't have a grasp of how games are made. No developer wants to make a bad game or make a game riddled with microtransations yet it's the developer they blame. They have no concept that a developer standing up for microtransactions or other dodgy practices has been thrown under the bus by the publisher to take heat away from them.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

🤪

Not entirely dissimilar to "Sealioning" really,

https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Sealioning

which was inspired by this online comic of all things:

https://wondermark.com/1k62/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,192 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

pixelburp wrote: »
    Not entirely dissimilar to "Sealioning" really,

https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Sealioning

Jaysus that's so many people in after hours right there :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

PaddyBomb wrote: »
    The amount of abuse Apex players hurl at the developers on that subreddit and a developer calls one player a dick and now there's articles about it. Jesus christ!

Yeah the fanbase when playing multiplayer games are always so level headed its entirely uncharacteristic of them to act look idiots online when put in a public forum.
    Find it really hard to be sympathetic of anyone in this situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,984 ✭✭✭Cordell

pixelburp wrote: »
    I haven't read the thread, but can imagine its content so TBH I'd be 100% on the side of the developers here; why on earth would anyone get into this industry as a career? Your employers will likely work you into a decrepit pile of bones, meanwhile, if your audience gets any sniff of your contact / personal details you'll be harassed and bullied online. Maybe even have SWAT charge through your door.

Because it's fun and challenging. It was by far the highest stress level I have ever had while working, but not for a second I considered leaving it because of that.
    The online harassment and bulling was not a thing back then, but on occasions we were ripped by game journalists and we couldn't give a flying fck.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Looking at the screenshots in that article the devs were pretty sensible and level headed in their replies.

I've been keeping an eye on the apex subreddit since I've been playing it a bit lately, and in fairness, its being blown out of all proportion.

That polygon article is a joke too, they totally stripped the tone intended when the dev referred to the players as freeloaders.

the Internet is great, in that it gives everyone a voice, but it also gave a voice to every self important troll with a sense of entitlement.

on the otherside, it must be an awful position for a dev to be in - you have to make money somewhere, its a business at the end of the day, maybe EA are forcing their hand somewhat, lord knows they have past form in that area, yet its the poor designers and community managers that end up taking the brunt of the flame from the public, while the execs get to bask in the great earnings calls at the end of the year.

Somewhat related, I see David Vonderhar (black ops lead dev) has seemingly been ask to stop posting about the game on his twitter, - another game thats riddled with MTX.

I bet that subreddit has unleashed vast amounts of abuse towards EA/Respawn before this. One of them gets called a dick and suddenly they all morph into one giant Helen Lovejoy.

Arseholes.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

, it must be an awful position for a dev to be in - you have to make money somewhere, its a business at the end of the day,

It sure is but the method they implemented is extortion not business, they could just have easily just but a price tag on each skin and let the people with a budget buy their fav skin and then those who have more than enough money buy them all that way anyway.

I'm pretty certain they would even make a lot more money this way, it boggles the mind how they keep ****ing up with these loot boxes.

Do fortnite use RNG loot boxes? no, are they successful? the most, do they get backlash with their business model? barely any.

Do EA use RNG lootboxes? yes, are they successful? not really, do they get backlash with their business model? All the fooking time.

Until they cop the fook on, they deserve every hardship they get trying to do business this way.

Heck even with their standard store, they would do more business rotating items every 24 hours as opposed to every week.

It just goes to show there isnt much thought going into these "money making" decisions, and their ability to act surprised every time is bizarre.

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 28,100 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

nix wrote: »
    It sure is but the method they implemented is extortion not business, they could just have easily just but a price tag on each skin and let the people with a budget buy their fav skin and then those who have more than enough money buy them all that way anyway.

I'm pretty certain they would even make a lot more money this way, it boggles the mind how they keep ****ing up with these loot boxes.

Do fortnite use RNG loot boxes? no, are they successful? the most, do they get backlash with their business model? barely any.

Do EA use RNG lootboxes? yes, are they successful? not really, do they get backlash with their business model? All the fooking time.

Until they cop the fook on, they deserve every hardship they get trying to do business this way.

Heck even with their standard store, they would do more business rotating items every 24 hours as opposed to every week.

It just goes to show there isnt much thought going into these "money making" decisions, and their ability to act surprised every time is bizarre.

EA are extremely successful with lootboxes. They make an absolute fortune off FUT packs every single year. I'm sure they have something similar in their NFL, NBA and NHL games as well.

TitianGerm wrote: »
    EA are extremely successful with lootboxes. They make an absolute fortune off FUT packs every single year. I'm sure they have something similar in their NFL, NBA and NHL games as well.

UFC too. Presumably you pack fighters, kicks, punches submissions etc.

They will put it in anything.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

nix wrote: »

Possibly,

I'm inclined to give Free to play games a bit more slack though, specially when the 'rewards' are all cosmetic and don't affect gameplay. Would I buy skins if they were available for purchase outright? possibly, but then I'm an adult who knows when a deal isn't worth it, and am happy enough to walk away.

what I have a major problem with, is the likes of Call of Duty, who put weapons / XP multipliers in the lootbox store. That stuff creates a split community between those who have money to burn on these, and those who don't.

Gears 4 and Halo 5 - 2 games i really enjoyed, also had 'cards' that affected gameplay, and to play some modes, you were seriously disadvantaged if you didnt have a stock of high powered ones. They could be earned through gameplay as well, but not at any meaningful rate. It was the one thing in both games that left a sour taste. Apparently Gears 5 is going to ditch this, but not so, halo infinite.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement