Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gaming News

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,431 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Sad news. Panzer Dragoon had such a unique look that Takashi Iwade contributed to.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,431 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

K.O.Kiki wrote: »

Honestly I think there's something oddly poetic about Lorne Lanning Moneyhatting his next game.

After all the original penny arcade comic where the term moneyhatting came from was about Lorne Lanning selling out to Microsoft.

488685.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Jerichoholic

I really don't get it at all. People complaining about having to click a different icon to play the game.

Gamers are so embarrassing sometimes.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

People complaining about having to click a different icon to play the game.

Yeah, because thats all their issue is :rolleyes:

Gamers are so ignorant sometimes :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

I really don't get it at all. People complaining about having to click a different icon to play the game.

It is really embarrassing. When you put a game on the Epic store some PC gamers act like they have to reach the summit of Everest to be able to access it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,919 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

It is really embarrassing. When you put a game on the Epic store some PC gamers act like they have to reach the summit of Everest to be able to access it.

But muh friends list!!! But muh mods!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,470 ✭✭✭SolvableKnave

I've found a really old school approach to mitigate having to open a different launcher to launch a game. I just put a shortcut to the .exe file on the desktop. Badda Bing the game loads up. Fcuking amazing so it is. Fancy playing some WoW? Double Click the WoW Icon. Fancy playing NMS? Double Click the NMS Icon. Fortnite? you guessed it. Double Click the Icon.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,576 ✭✭✭EoinHef

Ironic the only people still talking about it are the people who were supposedly sick of hearing about it.

The rest of us made our points why we dont want to use it and moved on.

As an aside im all for GOG Galaxy 2.0,looks great,i will use it as it offers loads of features that appeal to me without all the commercial deals that hurt consumers. Great stuff.

I must see if i can find one of these "gamers" they seem to be everywhere according to some:P

nix wrote: »
    Yeah, because thats all their issue is :rolleyes:

Gamers are so ignorant sometimes :pac:

What is the actual issue to the average gamer sitting on his arse at home wanting to play Oddworld when it comes out. What is stopping him?

I've found a really old school approach to mitigate having to open a different launcher to launch a game. I just put a shortcut to the .exe file on the desktop. Badda Bing the game loads up. Fcuking amazing so it is. Fancy playing some WoW? Double Click the WoW Icon. Fancy playing NMS? Double Click the NMS Icon. Fortnite? you guessed it. Double Click the Icon.

Heathen:P

• Advertisement

Well I don't understand how console players will understand it at all.

There are very legitimate concerns about it. Erosion of the open nature of the PC platform. Security issues. Buying games on a platform that could disappear as it's floating on money generated by one flash in the pan game. Offering the consumer a worse experience for the same price and not passing on savings to the consumer.

Is it worth the vitriol Epic and game developers are getting?

Yes. Yes it is. Because games are a serious business and I hope anyone that takes Epic's tainted money burns in hell for insulting gamers and gamer culture. I define myself by my hobby and a stain against it is a stain against my name and nature. Epic and those liberal indie developers are only doing this to troll true gamers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭Blinkers_off

Retr0gamer wrote: »

There are very legitimate concerns about it. Erosion of the open nature of the PC platform. Security issues. Buying games on a platform that could disappear as it's floating on money generated by one flash in the pan game. Offering the consumer a worse experience for the same price and not passing on savings to the consumer.

Yes. Yes it is. Because games are a serious business and I hope anyone that takes Epic's tainted money burns in hell for insulting gamers and gamer culture. I define myself by my hobby and a stain against it is a stain against my name and nature. Epic and those liberal indie developers are only doing this to troll true gamers.

cringe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

cringe

Poe's law, baby. Poe's law!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

giphy.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

The gas thing is that Epic are literally giving people free games just for having the client installed. Every two weeks they give every a free game to keep, but they're the devil because.....reasons.

Here's the library of games they've given away to anyone who wants them for nothing since launch.

Super Meat Boy
    Subnautica
    The Jackbox Party Pack
    What Remains of Edith Finch
    Thimbleweed Park
    Axiom Verge
    Oxenfree
    Slime Rancher
    Transistor
    The Witness
    World of Goo
    Stories Untold
    Rime
    City of Brass
    Last Day of June
    Rebel Galaxy
    Enter the Gungeon
    Kingdom New Land
    This War of Mine
    Moonlighter
    LIMBO
    Torchlight
    Overcooked
    For Honor
    Alan Wake
    Hyper Light Drifter
    Mutant Year Zero: Road to Eden
    FEZ

If I was an indie developer and epic offered me millions for my game that had a good chance at not even making 100k sales I'd take the money. Having gone through a massive grind for 4+ years of your life and the toll it takes on your social life and health. Why the **** not.

I wouldn't give one toss about the crybabies either. You're supposed to be PC gamers. If you can wait more than a year for GTA 5 you can wait a year for Outer Wilds.... an analogy which doesn't work as Outer Wilds is actually available to you if you want it.

If Epic really wanted to be real cockends they'd sign them up for full exclusivity. But 1 year exclusivity isn't real exclusivity in my eyes.

I have a shameful Steam library, as well as a good few bought on Ubisoft store, Origin, GOG even the XBOX PC pass comes into play. I have 5 or 6 different launchers and it doesn't bother me in the slightest because it really shouldn't.

I have a shameful Steam library, as well as a good few bought on Ubisoft store, Origin, GOG even the XBOX PC pass comes into play. I have 5 or 6 different launchers and it doesn't bother me in the slightest because it really shouldn't.

Same here, and the real truth that no-one wants to admit - Steam is a pretty poor client, an awful interface and the shop-front serves only as a example of how not to do things. Their curation is zero, their customer service appalling and they're only where they are now because they forced everyone to adopt their client if they wanted to play Half-Life 2 way back when.

Judging them on clients alone, Origin is the best, cleanest design, but you know....EA and all that.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,984 ✭✭✭Cordell

Before Epic lots of games were Steam exclusive as in even if there was no (announced) legal binding to distribute them only on Steam you could't find them on any other platform, and still everything was sweet.
    The only thing is that you can't find cheap grey market keys for Epic distributed games, so at least let's be honest about it.

It should boil down to...

Can I play this game on my computer?

If the answer is yes, then stop complaining.

Console exclusives are far more troublesome.

• Advertisement

The gas thing is that Epic are literally giving people free games just for having the client installed. Every two weeks they give every a free game to keep, but they're the devil because.....reasons.

Here's the library of games they've given away to anyone who wants them for nothing since launch.

Super Meat Boy
    Subnautica
    The Jackbox Party Pack
    What Remains of Edith Finch
    Thimbleweed Park
    Axiom Verge
    Oxenfree
    Slime Rancher
    Transistor
    The Witness
    World of Goo
    Stories Untold
    Rime
    City of Brass
    Last Day of June
    Rebel Galaxy
    Enter the Gungeon
    Kingdom New Land
    This War of Mine
    Moonlighter
    LIMBO
    Torchlight
    Overcooked
    For Honor
    Alan Wake
    Hyper Light Drifter
    Mutant Year Zero: Road to Eden
    FEZ

Your either willfully ignorant or very slow to catch on,very specific reasons have been givin why people dont like what there doing.

If you like free games and have no issues with the store as a platform,good for you,i can respect your point of view. I dont have to agree with it but i can respect it.

Pity people on here are all worked up and cant do the same.

Hahaha, good man. You 'respect my point of view' but I'm also either 'willfully ignorant or very slow to catch on'. PC master-race indeed.

Hahaha, good man. You 'respect my point of view' but I'm also either 'willfully ignorant or very slow to catch on'. PC master-race indeed.

Yes because you cant grasp that its not just "reasons". Your also not the only one either.

Strawmanning saying its just another launcher totally misses the point people are making. Respecting someone elses point of view is contingent on understanding said point of view.

Also me respecting your opinion has nothing to do with your lack of grasping others:P

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

It should boil down to...

Can I play this game on my computer?

If the answer is yes, then stop complaining.

Console exclusives are far more troublesome.

Stop complaining.
    Don't resist.
    Consume.

:rolleyes:

GFTO
    A large number of players simply don't trust Epic.

The real issue though is people not singing the praises of GOG.com enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,062 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

But wasn't Steam a bit poo at launch too? And according to this article (which is really good at showing the evolution of Steam since release) it was not wanted by fans, and "many gamers saw Steam as a threat to PC gaming, requiring a constant internet connection at a time when only 20 percent of American households had access to broadband internet. It didn't help that Steam's authentication servers struggled to cope with user demand, regularly locking players out of the games they had purchased. Add to that the slow download speeds, the clunky interface, and the frequent patching, and a lot of gamers were left with a sour taste in their mouths.

Going by the same article, nearly 4 years before a search function was implemented (granted, they didn't start selling 3rd party until the 3rd year).

And yeah, I get what ye are saying about them, they can't be trusted, possibly selling data, but how do ye know Steam, Origin, uPlay et al are not? Just because they haven't been caught yet. And also, the debate as to if they will still be around in a few years and you might lose your digital sales, can't the same be said for all of them? No guarantee they will be around in years to come. Same with Sony/MS, they could just decide to pull out at some stage, everything will be gone not too long after.

From what I can see, it's personal choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

It's just a click bro. Just download, install, run, confirm your email address, enter your personal/payment details and then purchase things from this reputable Chinese-invested corporation. Why you gotta be so entitled with your money? :rolleyes:

Yakuza remasters incoming

[url][/url]For 3 they're restoring some mini games and content while removing the escape mini-game with the cross-dresser. There'll likely never be a version with 100% of the content of the original in English.

Speaking of Yakuza one of the devs has passed away. RIP

Ion Fury devs have doubled down on the controversy. Censored the game and deleted post suggesting people should pirate it. They've now donated to an LGB+ organisation
    Their staff must now undergo sensitivity training
    "Moving forward, Voidpoint will institute a zero-tolerance policy for this type of language and all employees and contractors will undergo mandatory sensitivity training.

Sony acquires insomniac games

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Ion Fury devs have doubled down on the controversy. Censored the game and deleted post suggesting people should pirate it. They've now donated to an LGB+ organisation
    Their staff must now undergo sensitivity training

This is some Hot Coffee-levels of internet outrage. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

GoG numero uno!

Epic desperate for the market share!

Get em young and.....

• Registered Users Posts: 15,371 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

New Homeworld? Homeworld 2 remastered?

https://www.instagram.com/p/B1Z4fFgDnAT/?igshid=ans1rzpq58op

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭sarumite

Taylor365 wrote: »
    GoG numero uno!

Epic desperate for the market share!

Get em young and.....

I completely forgot about GOG. Just realised I have a good 15-20 games in my gog account. There are too many game stores for my brain to cope with at this stage.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement