Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gaming News

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Vicxas wrote: »
    Homeworld for Switch :pac:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,604 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Vicxas wrote: »

Never played Deserts of Kharak; was that any good in the end? Had a weird path in development, from spiritual sequel made by ex Homeworld Devs, to actual official prequel.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

sarumite wrote: »
    I completely forgot about GOG. Just realised I have a good 15-20 games in my gog account. There are too many game stores for my brain to cope with at this stage.

GOG Galaxy 2.0 is a unified store front, I'm liking the beta so far.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,604 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I've barely kept up with the whole Epic Store "controversy", but looking at the financial incentives, I totally get it. Can't imagine a more precarious body of work than slaving away at your indie-game magnum opus; that Epic are turning up and promising tonnes of cash up front - and a better profit share? As a hobbyist coder, I would absolutely take that deal in a heartbeat. I've read enough stories of "we spent 5 years on our game, remortgaged our house, and barely sold 5k copies" to completely understand the mentality behind jumping on the Epic train.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Jerichoholic

What's the story with that Ion outrage. What exactly did they do?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,062 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

What's the story with that Ion outrage. What exactly did they do?

From what I read (albeit it limited, as I just don't get these outrage stories), basically someone used No Clip to get behind the in game scenes and found the word 'fagbag' there. And the name of the moisturiser/shampoo in one of the bathrooms was renamed 'Ogay', a play on 'Olay' i'm guessing. That's about it.

From what I read (albeit it limited, as I just don't get these outrage stories), basically someone used No Clip to get behind the in game scenes and found the word 'fagbag' there. And the name of the moisturiser/shampoo in one of the bathrooms was renamed 'Ogay', a play on 'Olay' i'm guessing. That's about it.

God God. Could you imagine if some of these attention seeking perpetually offended fools ever encountered a real problem in real life.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

sarumite wrote: »
    I completely forgot about GOG. Just realised I have a good 15-20 games in my gog account. There are too many game stores for my brain to cope with at this stage.
    143 games on my account. Probably will stay that way from now on though.
    K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    GOG Galaxy 2.0 is a unified store front, I'm liking the beta so far.
    I got invited to the beta and I stuck with gog & the galaxy client because I thought it would improve in the ways that people were asking. Their #1 requested feature for the last 5 years has been marked 'in progress' and then when 2.0 was announced they admitted it's not being supported. :eek: Carrot and stick leading me on like that so I've actually dropped their entire platform for now. For all their flaws, valve's steam is making tons of advancements in ways that I like so that's where I'll be spending most of my gaming budget.
    pixelburp wrote: »
    completely understand the mentality behind jumping on the Epic train.
    Yeah from the developers perspective it's understandable but not the consumer's because all that means is EG is showcasing and supporting games that would otherwise be unprofitable aka consumer's don't want it very much. If the developers want EG's money more than mine then I've got no hate towards them (the devs). EG can pay their bills and I'll play other games. Everyone's happy.

Although there is the factor of reputation It's not exactly hot news now but one indie dev turned down EG. The key thing here is that EG didn't want the game unless it was exclusive.
    That's about it.
    There's also out-of-game things that are fanning the flames like their moderator saying they hate the customers and ban-happy forums.
    There's a big article on it by board's most beloved outlet https://www.oneangrygamer.net/2019/08/ion-fury-steam-forums-censored-from-discussing-censorship-moderator-says-he-hates-gamers/91216/

Yeah from the developers perspective it's understandable but not the consumer's because all that means is EG is showcasing and supporting games that would otherwise be unprofitable aka consumer's don't want it very much. If the developers want EG's money more than mine then I've got no hate towards them (the devs). EG can pay their bills and I'll play other games. Everyone's happy.

I don't get that logic: if you look at Steam, the market is saturated by either shovelware, or 'bad faith' games that are either asset flips, achievement grinders or whatever. Even if you lean towards some of idea of a pure Free Market come what may, the signal to noise ratio is arguably so distorted on a rival platform like Steam, I don't think it's fair to say honest, legitimate developers are able to compete or get a fair crack of the whip. Heck success can be something as 'simple' as whether your game appears on a suitably 'famous' enough streamers channel.

Point being, if Epic Store are actively seeking to create an environment where smaller devs can work relatively unperturbed by whether their release will get lost at the bottom of 20 new Asset Flips (is that even still a problem?), that's not a bad thing for consumers either. Gamers benefit when creatives are allowed to work unhindered.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,100 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

There's people in here who I'd be surprised have any spare time for gaming with the amount of time they waste on making tinfoil hats :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

I don't need EG or Valve to tell me what's good. Most low-quality games in my steam library because of humble bundle where I was only after 1 or 2 titles in the bundle.

In news and in the same topic a new oddworld game will be EGS exclusive. They did it for the money which is refreshingly honest and that's all I really ask for these days. Good luck to them.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,468 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Coincidentally an email just popped into my inbox flagging that Hades is coming to Steam in December - which, AFAIK, marks the first Epic title to end its one-year exclusivity and go to Steam.

The game is rather brilliant btw. Not usually an early access fan but the Supergiant folks are some of my favourite developers and the game was immensely polished right out of the gate so couldn’t resist. Been great to pop in every so often and see how the game’s moved on from its initial launch. One of the few rouge-lites of recent years I’ve really dug - simply a great central loop with the production values of Pyre, Transistor etc. Well recommended whether on EGS now or Steam in a few months.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

Celeste and Inside free next week with EGS next week. Fez free right now.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,468 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Celeste and Inside free next week with EGS next week. Fez free right now.

The freebies have been fairly ****ing incredible to be honest. Even with the ones I’ve owned already there’s been plenty of ones I’ve been keen to pick up, like Slime Rancher and Mutant Year Zero. Not many recent games as good as Celeste and Inside so that’s a nice treat for anyone who hasn’t played one or both of them.

I think i'm gonna have to download the Epic Launcher and sign up just for the freebies... Would be nice to use the PC again, and the games they're giving away should be playable on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

I think i'm gonna have to download the Epic Launcher and sign up just for the freebies... Would be nice to use the PC again, and the games they're giving away should be playable on it.

The daughter is the only one that has a laptop powerful enough to play the games - I'll be upgrading in a couple of months - but I still get the games every week.

Just pissed with myself that I missed Subnautica...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,576 ✭✭✭EoinHef

Subnautica is dirt cheap on sale these days,wouldnt worry about it

And it looks like I would be able to run it. Would a Radeon HD7850 V2 be as good as or better than the recommended GTX 550ti?

It's the one area that PC building needs to make easier. I'd consider myself a bit more au fait with PC terms than your regular user, but I still get confused when trying to compare CPU's and GPU's.

And it looks like I would be able to run it. Would a Radeon HD7850 V2 be as good as or better than the recommended GTX 550ti?

It's the one area that PC building needs to make easier. I'd consider myself a bit more au fait with PC terms than your regular user, but I still get confused when trying to compare CPU's and GPU's.

I have same Radeon. It's a miracle worker. Can run 99% of games fine. Lower graphics etc, but 100% playable. Even Forza Horizon 4 was good enough to have fun times with.

I should upgrade though. Any recommendations? I just want one I can just swap out and go. Zero hassle.

• Advertisement

It really is a good card, someone on the PC Building forum helped me with it and I ended up with a savage machine which is still pretty good today. Apparently my i5 3570K is a beast of a chip and very easy to overclock without additional cooling. But regarding a replacement, I was looking into the 950/970ti and even the 1080's, but it's just so confusing to me after seeing 4/5 cards, they all start to merge into one another...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

Not gospel, but a good source for checking what gpu is better:

gpu.userbenchmark.com

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,431 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Plenty of comparison websites around that will help.

Taylor365 wrote: »

gpu.userbenchmark.com

Doesn't have my card :pac: PowerColor Radeon HD 7850 V2, 2GB GDDR5 - Can find the 7850, just not the v2. Could be searching wrong though.
    Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Plenty of comparison websites around that will help.

I've tried a few, but what happens then is that I research the cards more and reports come back that even though the specs appear more powerful, it's actually an inferior card overall. Same with CPU's, comparison sites make the more powerful ones look better, but some of them are inferior when you check out reviews, etc.

They need to come up with a better system for the general Joe Soap to understand. As I said, I'd consider myself with a bit more knowledge than the average user, and an interest to a degree, but I get tired of trying to compare them. It's getting better, but both CPU's and GPU's need better references, or need to start naming the cards appropriately.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,576 ✭✭✭EoinHef

If you dont want to spend a fortune and your happy enough with 1080p 60Hz id say something along the lines of a RX 570 be a nice upgrade. Id probably spring for the 8gb version of it was reasonably close to the 4gb version in cost

A bit from digital foundry about the 570 and its competition

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2019-05-01-amd-radeon-rx-570-benchmarks-7001

Taylor365 wrote: »

gpu.userbenchmark.com

TechPowerUp GPU database is a thousand times better, as it relies on actual review data instead of nebulous user benchmarks:

https://www.techpowerup.com/gpu-specs/

e.g. go to HD 7850 page: https://www.techpowerup.com/gpu-specs/radeon-hd-7850.c1055
    Ctrl-f for next GPU.

RX 570 would be a 226% improvement in GPU horsepower.

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    RX 570 would be a 226% improvement in GPU horsepower.

Great site, found my exact card. And that is a good improvement for about €150. Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

The whole Ion Fury seems so juvenile and try-hard edgelord stuff. Calling Olay lotion Ogay? It's more stupid that offensive really and if that's the level of their humour, then it sounds like it's a game aimed at 12-year-olds.

• Advertisement

The whole Ion Fury seems so juvenile and try-hard edgelord stuff. Calling Olay lotion Ogay? It's more stupid that offensive really and if that's the level of their humour, then it sounds like it's a game aimed at 12-year-olds.

Truly channelling the puerile, embarrassing spirit of Duke Nukem if nothing else.

And let’s not insult 12-year-olds - we’re firmly in 10-year-olds territory here :pac:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement