Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gaming News

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

The GTA games are full of gay puns and jokes, some far more offensive than Ogay.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,868 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

The whole Ion Fury seems so juvenile and try-hard edgelord stuff. Calling Olay lotion Ogay? It's more stupid that offensive really and if that's the level of their humour, then it sounds like it's a game aimed at 12-year-olds.

It's a game aimed at 12 year olds from the 90's.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

It's a game aimed at 12 year olds from the 90's.

Which makes it 20x better than a game aimed at 12 year olds from the 2010s :pac:

Seriously though, play it - there's very little material that could be considered offensive in the game proper - mostly just quick pop-culture references.
    What it's got though is fast gunplay & gigantic levels full of secrets!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

3 hitpieces on the devs by different gaming outlets all angry about the decision to reverse one part of the censorship: putting the bottle back in. The donation to LGB+ thing and the sensitivity training are still going ahead. It seems they can't win with this situation because they're trying to please both sides and that's an impossibility.

An article by pcgamesinsider shows that Wolfenstein developer blames bad sales & feedback of their game on... right wingers of course, what else? Niche have an article about it.

Remedy CEO sells stock just before new game release
    This is the game in which the publisher's marketing strategy was to make it so that only females could stream it before launch. Oh and Epic Exclusive. What could possibly go wrong?

Up to 10 years in prison for bet fixing on CSGO: https://www.exclusivelygames.com/scam-down-under-six-australian-counter-strike-global-offensive-players-arrested/

Cyberpunk's map will not be as big as TW3: https://www.exclusivelygames.com/cyberpunk-2077-has-a-smaller-environment-than-the-the-witcher-3/

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Astral Chain getting some amazing reviews. Platinum look like they're right back on top of their game.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,284 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Astral Chain getting some amazing reviews. Platinum look like they're right back on top of their game.

Looking like game of the year material if the reviews are to be believed. Will hopefully be picking it up on friday!

Just ordered it myself there. Seems to be slightly lower than 'full-price' too. Smyths have it for €50 and although Amazon look like they're sold out now, they were only looking for £42.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,468 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I was a bit on the fence after hearing Austin Walker being so down on it. But his main issue seems to be that it’s not Neir Automata and I didn’t like that game at all so huzzah, Platinum action ftw :pac:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,431 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I was a bit on the fence after hearing Austin Walker being so down on it. But his main issue seems to be that it’s not Neir Automata and I didn’t like that game at all so huzzah, Platinum action ftw :pac:

Seems to focus more on the fun gameplay systems than the narrative, which is the opposite of Nier Automata. And for as much as I love Nier automata it was a right slog to get through so I'm happier about this as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭one armed dwarf

Austin also says on the action that it has little of the fluidity or challenge as a DMC. Also that it's a less expressive kind of action game.

Mainly this is what I'm wondering about, cause the gameplay videos seemed to offer a lot of Zandatsu combo attacks with your pet, very cutscene-action heavy. I'll probably buy it anyway just to see.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,431 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

It's a Platinum game so I at least know it will be much better than the usual triple A borefests that want to waste 60+ hours of your time.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,468 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    It's a Platinum game so I at least know it will be much better than the usual triple A borefests that want to waste 60+ hours of your time.

TBH they’ve also produced a fair amount of dull or half-baked work. While this is at least an original property, I’m not as immediately excited about a Platinum release as I would have been post Bayonetta / Vanguish. And Walker’s review (https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/zmjxjx/astral-chain-is-missing-everything-that-made-nier-automata-transcendent-review) does give pause before leaping right in, as much as others are singing its praises. Oh well, I’ll find out for myself soon enough!

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭SomeSayKos

I really wanted to like bayonetta 2 considering the reviews it got but I found it to be quite unimpressive.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,062 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I think Platinum games have specific audiences too. I was never a fan of Bayonetta, but I didn't give it a proper go. However Vanquish, hated it. Don't get the love other people had for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,249 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

For a dead game, Blizzards WoW Classic release was absolute insanity.

https://twitter.com/Wowhead/status/1166125485555965960

Initially the EU was listed with 6 servers, and less than 24 hours after release it's been increased to 13 servers. I kinda feel for Blizzard on this one, if they opened too many servers a few weeks ago there's the constant fear of having dead servers in the future, and then arranging free transfers or server merging, which was an issue back in 2009 when subs started to fall.

I just got home from work and decided to log on (no chance was I staying up until midnight to play it last night) and I'm looking at a 4000 people queue and over 30 minute wait to get on on a Medium population server.

There's going to be a huge drop-off as well once the nostalgia buzz wears off. People will realise how much of a pain in the arse the archaic systems are and remember that it's not 2005 anymore and they have jobs and kids and can't spend 10 hours a day playing WOW.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,540 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Is it just a version of the original with some new textures and support for newer hardware or is it a reskin of the current version.

Watched a documentary about Ultima and the reason for most of the norms in mmo but in this day and age there's no reason for separate locked servers.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,249 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

There's going to be a huge drop-off as well once the nostalgia buzz wears off. People will realise how much of a pain in the arse the archaic systems are and remember that it's not 2005 anymore and they have jobs and kids and can't spend 10 hours a day playing WOW.

Ah I don't entirely buy that. I played actively on Nostalrius, which kicked off the whole Classic server thing and loved it. Managed to raid quite actively and only played 2-3 hours a night after work. My entire guild is made up of people who played together for the last 15 years in one form or another and we're quite happy to go back and do it again, albeit with none of us pushing hardcore stuff.

There's always been a common myth that raiding in WoW requires a 'hardcore' attitude, and it simply isn't true. You can raid quite actively with a casual attitude.
    Varik wrote: »
    Is it just a version of the original with some new textures and support for newer hardware or is it a reskin of the current version.

Watched a documentary about Ultima and the reason for most of the norms in mmo but in this day and age there's no reason for separate locked servers.

It's quite literally the original game. There's an option to up the graphics, but it's namely the old character models and all that.

I think Platinum games have specific audiences too. I was never a fan of Bayonetta, but I didn't give it a proper go. However Vanquish, hated it. Don't get the love other people had for it.

Vanquish is the polar opposite of Gears of War & its ilk - it doesn't take itself seriously, you can jet around like crazy before activating a super-cool slow-mo, and it's short & replayable instead of a long, plodding "experience".

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Arcadeheroes

https://mynintendonews.com/2019/08/27/aladdin-1993-and-the-lion-king-1994-hd-remasters-revealed-for-october/

Aladdin and Lion King remasters are in bound this October for Ps4,Pc,Switch and Xbox. Nostalgia Overload :)

• Advertisement

https://mynintendonews.com/2019/08/27/aladdin-1993-and-the-lion-king-1994-hd-remasters-revealed-for-october/

Aladdin and Lion King remasters are in bound this October for Ps4,Pc,Switch and Xbox. Nostalgia Overload :)

But Aladdin on SNES & MD are completely different - wonder whose combat they'll use as baseline.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 794 ✭✭✭pasta-solo

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    But Aladdin on SNES & MD are completely different - wonder whose combat they'll use as baseline.

Still to be confirmed, but early rumours suggest both SNES & MD versions will be included. Would be interesting if that was the case, must be tricky to get rights for both!

As long as it's not only the inferior SNES version.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

As long as it's not only the inferior SNES version.

Reported.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,604 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Wonder will they remake that infamously difficult & frustrating Lion King level that had controllers flung across rooms (the one where Simba was thrown by animals across the level IIRC)

Rose tinted glasses smashing warning:

MD Aladdin and Lion King are not great games. Lion King is better but Aladdin is euro platformer jank. Also Lion King is not a difficult game and not sure where it got that reputation from. Finished it in a weekend back in the day.

SNES Aladdin is a great if not brilliant game and succeeds where the megadrive game doesn't by the mere fact it plays better and has actual level design.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

MD Aladdin looks great, and sounds great, as they had involvement from the Disney animators, and has a lot of music based on the movie.

SNES Aladdin plays better, and is the better game.

Inclusion of both would be nice, and people can play whichever they wish.

Good comparison video here, with the different game audio on left/right, so best checked with earphones, so you can listen to one at a time, or swap over and compare.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 794 ✭✭✭pasta-solo

Looks like that's been confirmed, and seem to include almost everything EXCEPT the SNES version of Aladdin!

- Disney’s Aladdin - SEGA Genesis version
    - Disney’s Aladdin - Game Boy version (includes “Super Game Boy version,” which implies a bit more color, Super Game Boy-style)
    - Disney’s Aladdin Final Cut
    - Disney’s Aladdin Trade Show Demo - A demo version “that has not been publicly available since 1993,” according to the press release
    - The Lion King - SEGA Genesis version
    - The Lion King - Super Nintendo version
    - The Lion King - Game Boy version (also includes “Super Game Boy" version)

https://uk.ign.com/articles/2019/08/28/capcom-90s-classics-aladdin-and-lion-king-return-in-collection-coming-to-switch-ps4-xbox-one-pc

So everything except the one good game :D

• Advertisement

When I was a kid the last boss of The Lion King was simply beyond me. Couldn’t figure it out: got the general gist but couldn’t pull it off.

Going back a few years ago and finishing it (quite easily) was like a purging of demons :pac:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement