Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gaming News

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

• Registered Users Posts: 1,976 ✭✭✭OptimusTractor

pixelburp wrote: »
    Wonder will they remake that infamously difficult & frustrating Lion King level that had controllers flung across rooms (the one where Simba was thrown by animals across the level IIRC)

I got Vietnam flashbacks to the level where you have to jump across logs.

When I was a kid the last boss of The Lion King was simply beyond me. Couldn’t figure it out: got the general gist but couldn’t pull it off.

Going back a few years ago and finishing it (quite easily) was like a purging of demons :pac:
    When I was a kid, riding on the ostrich was beyond me

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭SomeSayKos

A tweet can end your gaming career

Good riddance to him. Sounds like a scumbag

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,604 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

The most offensive thing is that YouTube video's thumbnail. Yeesh. Managed a few minutes of neckbeard ranting before I had to turn off. The idea of that channel not itself having an obvious agenda is hilarious.

I'll say one thing: there is something perverse about companies airing their dirty laundry in public, but the games industry has positioned itself as a sphere that exists in the consumer, internet space. An industry where individuals often acquire status, power or clout; which I guess is kinda part of the problem as it naturally encourages abusive environments.

This is between Quinn, Holowka and the studio; there's no court of law applicable here and the only difference is that as mentioned, it's the games industry so everything's automatically ratcheted to 11 and conducted in the public sphere. Oh and it involves Quinn, so cue the pitchforks.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

SomeSayKos wrote: »
    Good riddance to him. Sounds like a scumbag

Yer one who reported him is apparently a notorious liar/sh!t stirrer and only action she has taken was making a tweet, she hasnt reported it to the police or anything.. Shes just creating drama and trying to stay relevant, which she has done before and got caught lying, shes also done a runner with a load of kickstarter funds and has ceased any communication about the game she was doing a kick starter for, and making claims just a few months ago that shes broke... If all thats true, im siding with the dood on this one, she sounds like a real piece of sh!t :(

• Registered Users Posts: 12,540 ✭✭✭✭Varik

nix wrote: »
    Yer one who reported him is apparently a notorious liar/sh!t stirrer and only action she has taken was making a tweet, she hasnt reported it to the police or anything.. Shes just creating drama and trying to stay relevant, which she has done before and got caught lying, shes also done a runner with a load of kickstarter funds and has ceased any communication about the game she was doing a kick starter for, and making claims just a few months ago that shes broke... If all thats true, im siding with the dood on this one, she sounds like a real piece of sh!t :(

If you report it to the police they investigate, and that might not go your way. Jussie Smollett and all and their fabricated hate crimes.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

Varik wrote: »
    If you report it to the police they investigate, and that might not go your way. Jussie Smollett and all and their fabricated hate crimes.

Yeah thats my point, the fact that shes not indicates to me that its a load of bollocks and shes afraid to have it investigated. :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,604 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

A crowdfunding campaign for Homeworld 3 has started; published by Gearbox n' all. Colour me a mixture of excitement, but trepidation. I haven't read the particulars, but I'm initially a little sceptical about a major developer / publisher stepping forward with the begging bowl. Feels to go against the principle of crowdfunding...

https://www.fig.co/campaigns/homeworld3

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭earthwormjack

So an already fully funded/published game from Gearbox with a $1 dollar crowd funding goal and Tim Sweeney waiting on the sidelines with another bag of cash to be an Epic exclusive. Yeah, f*ck off Randy.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

A crowdfunding campaign for Homeworld 3 has started; published by Gearbox n' all. Colour me a mixture of excitement, but trepidation. I haven't read the particulars, but I'm initially a little sceptical about a major developer / publisher stepping forward with the begging bowl. Feels to go against the principle of crowdfunding...

https://www.fig.co/campaigns/homeworld3
    It's worth noting a similar situation occurred with Phoenix Point a couple of months ago and it looks like it's worked out quite well for the investors thus far.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,371 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭one armed dwarf

Regarding the story on the previous page about Zoe Quinn and the Night in the Woods guy

https://twitter.com/derangedpoetess/status/1167855630385909760?s=20

Fear this is going to get very ugly from here.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,468 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Sad that a grieving sister has to stress this:

https://twitter.com/derangedpoetess/status/1167884648296222721?s=21

Ain’t no winners here, just a lot of hurt people and a tragic ending for Holowka.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Regarding the story on the previous page about Zoe Quinn and the Night in the Woods guy

https://twitter.com/derangedpoetess/status/1167855630385909760?s=20

Fear this is going to get very ugly from here.

Got ugly years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

:( I was always kinda hoping for a sequel to Aquaria.

Looks like Chucklefish (Starbound, and the upcoming Eastward which looks a delight) are in a little bit of hot water over accusations of unpaid work:

https://screenrant.com/starbound-chucklefish-unpaid-developer-accusation/

Now, at first blush this feels a scenario where I can see all sides: the jist of it SEEMS to be a classic case of unpaid / volunteer work going into a passion project, one that serendipitously became a smash hit. I've friends who have been in that situation before. One dev in particular is claiming he never saw any money for his work, while Chucklefish are saying in response that there was an agreement with 'community' members who contributed in their spare-time.

As with most things in the Games Industry, it's quite weird for these kind of incidents and behaviour to be put into the public domain, scenarios that'd be otherwise conducted within the company itself; grievances n' all that. I guess this is the nature of the court of public opinion, and peoples' desire to air their dirty laundry on Twitter.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,062 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Reece said he was 16 when he was, in his own words, contributing. Would he have been old enough for paid work?

Either way, looks like Reece is annoyed that money was made on a game he willingly contributed to. I'm believing Chucklefish on this until there is further information to the contrary.

Also, the Tweets above from one_armed_dwarf and johnny_ultimate are now private or deleted.

Yeah, I saw he was 16 so that to me screams "hobby", and one in which nobody expected Starbound to take off the way it did. Honestly I'd be miffed myself if I knew I was missing out on some cut of those sales, but it's the problem with a lot of bedroom projects; once they become commercial it's a minefield of potential challenges waiting to happen.

Like I said it's fascinating how much of this stuff gets aired publicly; I just couldn't imagine someone in my own field taking to Twitter to contest a financial dispute. Christ, I find Glassdoor a little risqué.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,431 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Also, the Tweets above from one_armed_dwarf and johnny_ultimate are now private or deleted.

She had to make her account private because of all the abuse she was getting.

**** the gamers.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,468 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Retr0gamer wrote: »

**** the gamers.

The irony, of course, being that the tweet I linked to explicitly urged people to not harass anyone involved because neither the family nor Alec himself wanted that. Didn't stop the bottom-feeders.

On the same note, here's NitW co-creator Scott Benson on his experiences with Alec Holowka. Shows how the story was so much more than one allegation; how awful a situation it was for many caught up in Alec's orbit; and ultimately how sad and tragic a story it is. It's a long read but worth your time:

https://medium.com/@bombsfall/alec-2618dc1e23e

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

Yeah, I saw he was 16 so that to me screams "hobby", and one in which nobody expected Starbound to take off the way it did. Honestly I'd be miffed myself if I knew I was missing out on some cut of those sales, but it's the problem with a lot of bedroom projects; once they become commercial it's a minefield of potential challenges waiting to happen.

Like I said it's fascinating how much of this stuff gets aired publicly; I just couldn't imagine someone in my own field taking to Twitter to contest a financial dispute. Christ, I find Glassdoor a little risqué.

you know what? I kinda miss the old days, before information on everything was so readily available - back when your first info on a new games from sega or nintendo would be a new poster appearing in the local game store.

you know what? I kinda miss the old days, before information on everything was so readily available - back when your first info on a new games from sega or nintendo would be a new poster appearing in the local game store.

It's so weird, cos rightly or wrongly, that chaps career is public domain info now, by his own hand too. He's no Kojima, so can hardly claim celebrity yet he's surely going to come up against resistance from companies who'll judge him by his social media output. It's no wonder millennials have such a bad reputation in the professional world </generalisation>

**** the gamers.
    So **** yourself? :pac:

Some legal happenings with Valve: https://nichegamer.com/2019/09/03/five-game-companies-settle-in-eu-anti-trust-lawsuit-valve-will-fight/

Uncharted games' online shuts down: https://www.oneangrygamer.net/2019/09/uncharted-2-uncharted-3-and-last-of-us-ps3-multiplayer-servers-shut-down/92278/
    It's a real shame they never release a way for players to continue playing online like with dedicated user servers. It always has to be a hack job like with Biohazard Outbreak or MGO2. Was there really not a single bloody shilling in the profits for these games to do at least that at the end?

Video recap

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,431 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

So **** yourself? :pac:

No. I don't define entire self by a hobby or interest.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,766 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Good point, Retr0gamer.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,540 ✭✭✭✭Varik

**** the gamers.

No you just define others entirely by their hobbies.

Be quiet you forumite.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭SomeSayKos

Varik wrote: »
    No you just define others entirely by their hobbies.
    I believe they define themselves that way......

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement