Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gaming News

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,576 ✭✭✭EoinHef

SomeSayKos wrote: »
    I believe they define themselves that way......

You know these people personally?

• Gears 5 reviews out today I think

I don't see a thread for it

I've ignored all previews

• Registered Users Posts: 28,100 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Gears 5 reviews out today I think

I don't see a thread for it

I've ignored all previews

It's out the 10th but if you have GamePass you can play on the 6th I think.

• TitianGerm wrote: »
    It's out the 10th but if you have GamePass you can play on the 6th I think.

Tomorrow at 9pm with games pass ultimate I think

Tomorrow at 9pm with games pass ultimate I think

So five days early. Nice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,284 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Skimmed metacritic, looking pretty well received so far.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I wish Microsoft would release Gears 2 and 3 on the PC, so i could play through the entire series. I've no real interest in 4 or 5, having missed the earlier games.

And i know, missed story shouldn't stop me playing Gears, but i hate skipping games in a series.

Kiith wrote: »
    I wish Microsoft would release Gears 2 and 3 on the PC, so i could play through the entire series. I've no real interest in 4 or 5, having missed the earlier games.

And i know, missed story shouldn't stop me playing Gears, but it still annoys me a bit.

You could watch the game on YouTube if you just want the story?

Or buy a cheap One somewhere and play through the games on GamePass?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,468 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

It’s strange, Gears of War 5 feels to me like it has arrived with none of the fanfare you’d usually expect from a big platform exclusive. Even at E3 this year it felt like they were teasing a game a year or two away rather than one out in a matter of months. I actually quite like the series for its uniquely weighty, bloody combat and really great multiplayer (although skipped 4 out of a general cynicism about series continuing on after the original studio leaves it behind). But I dunno, there’s this unshakeable feeling the series has become an afterthought, independent of whether the games are actually any good or not!

Oh well, will give it a go on GamePass :pac:

• Advertisement

• Mickeroo wrote: »
    Skimmed metacritic, looking pretty well received so far.

85 average, very good.
    Glad they took risks it seems

• Registered Users Posts: 7,868 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

I've loved all of them but felt the series was a bit artificially inflated by being an xbox exclusive. That gave it more clout in the marketing department and with the 360's dominance, it got huge sales numbers. When those two combine reviewers run a mile from reviewing it critically. A good score for that or COD gets lots of traffic from the fans.

Now it probably sells itself to the Gears fans which makes plenty of money, it isn't going to bring in a new audience so there is little return on investment in terms of marketing budget.

• Ah lads :P

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

It’s strange, Gears of War 5 feels to me like it has arrived with none of the fanfare you’d usually expect from a big platform exclusive. Even at E3 this year it felt like they were teasing a game a year or two away rather than one out in a matter of months. I actually quite like the series for its uniquely weighty, bloody combat and really great multiplayer (although skipped 4 out of a general cynicism about series continuing on after the original studio leaves it behind). But I dunno, there’s this unshakeable feeling the series has become an afterthought, independent of whether the games are actually any good or not!

Oh well, will give it a go on GamePass :pac:

dont skip 4 if you have game pass, its relatively short, and theres some cracking story beats / set pieces in there.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,431 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Started 4 recently and it's so sloooooow to get going.

85 average, very good.
    Glad they took risks it seems

Wait until the internet mob get at it and review bomb it because it's not available on PS4 like they did with Fire Emblem and Astral Chain.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,062 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

TitianGerm wrote: »
    Wait until the internet mob get at it and review bomb it because it's not available on PS4 like they did with Fire Emblem and Astral Chain.

Nah, we've the proper GoW, so we don't need no Microsoft crap! :pac:

• Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Started 4 recently and it's so sloooooow to get going.

It is but stick with it. The proceeding chapters are much better. I assume you mean the robot chapter which is probably the weakest but a good world builder considering the end of gears 3. It's a solid linear single player experience IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭SomeSayKos

EoinHef wrote: »
    You know these people personally?
    Yes

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

Yes
    Be sure to report them and provide proof of the harassment and actions. Naming and shaming is usually ok when there's a smoking gun.

Another recap

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,576 ✭✭✭EoinHef

Yes

Ok cool,at least your not sterotyping people from a distance:P

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,357 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Return of the Obra Dinn is coming to console. Heard so much about this that I'm dying to play it, so this is good news for me, as my laptop can't handle games, and my PC is currently in storage.

https://twitter.com/eurogamer/status/1169523057427439623

Be sure to report them and provide proof of the harassment and actions. Naming and shaming is usually ok when there's a smoking gun.

Another recap
    why don't you have a long hard look at the type of people and behaviour you champion instead?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,844 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

CatInABox wrote: »
    Return of the Obra Dinn is coming to console. Heard so much about this that I'm dying to play it, so this is good news for me, as my laptop can't handle games, and my PC is currently in storage.

https://twitter.com/eurogamer/status/1169523057427439623

Excellent!

Speaking of, will Papers, Please ever release on ps4?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,468 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Obra Dinn is one of the best games ever made, and there’s not a hint of exaggeration there. Great more people will finally get to play it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,604 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I wish I could come up with the hook of a gameplay loop as simple yet elegant as games like Obra Dinn. Does make me wonder where these developers get their ideas from, insofar as how many are consigned to the dustbin, because the core loop just won't work.

pixelburp wrote: »
    I wish I could come up with the hook of a gameplay loop as simple yet elegant as games like Obra Dinn. Does make me wonder where these developers get their ideas from, insofar as how many are consigned to the dustbin, because the core loop just won't work.
    I love watching GDC game postmortems for this very reason. I was watching one the other day about Thumper ( which is one of my favourite games ever made ) and it was interesting to hear about how the core mechanics evolved through the prototyping process.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

pixelburp wrote: »

He did a podcast with NoClip where Lucas Pope more or less says the launch build wasn't overly tested itself compared to previous builds he played. As much as I enjoyed Papers Please and Obra Dinn their gameplay loops ain't for everyone.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,431 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Who cares about Gears of War 5 when Deadly Premonition 2 just got announced.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

why don't you have a long hard look at the type of people and behaviour you champion instead?
    Why don't you actually name and shame these self identified "gamers" who have engaged in harassment that you know personally?

Control has early discounts: https://www.oneangrygamer.net/2019/09/report-claims-control-is-heavily-discounted/92318/
    Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Who cares about Gears of War 5 when Deadly Premonition 2 just got announced.
    :eek: I'm nervous because I feel like it could only be really good or really bad. Also didn't the original 1st launch on 360? Weird platform hopping going on. I'll be standing by on the PC release assuming it's not a technical disaster like the 1st was.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement