Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gaming News

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭SomeSayKos

The original article was about predictions based on a game's sale price. Somehow users including moderators have managed to derail the thread into shyte about incels or whatever.
    you regularly post articles and videos made by loser scumbags. I think it's fair game to call that stuff out to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

Raging Loop coming to PC: https://nichegamer.com/2019/09/05/horror-visual-novel-raging-loop-gets-a-pc-port-on-december-5/

SomeSayKos wrote: »
    I think it's fair game to call that stuff out to be honest.
    Have fun with that people are loving it

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,468 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Mod note: Right folks this has gone on long enough, and the people have spoken.

We're not going to ban anyone from linking to certain sites. But since a handful of outrage bait sites inevitably just pull this thread off track and generate no worthwhile discussion in future they're going to be moved to this separate thread: https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058012900

Please post such links there in the future, where others can read or ignore the ensuing discussions as they wish.

Myself and the other mods will keep a close eye on that thread as well - we're not going to allow anything we wouldn't allow anywhere else. And if it becomes just a soap box, mindless bickering or whatever we'll have to reconsider whether it's worthwhile. But for now it seems like the fairest compromise to get this thread back on track.

Finally, just a reminder that if anyone has an issue with a particular poster, there's always the ignore button.

Thanks folks.

So yeah as someone else posted earlier Deadly Premonition 2 is happening and exclusive to switch for now :(

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,431 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

No word if it's just exclusive to switch but if Nintendo have any hand in the funding it might. Still, pretty amazing it's coming out. Swery has been making far less janky games lately so hopefully this has a bit more polish... although not too much. It wouldn't be DP if it doesn't have jank.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,923 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Deadly Premonition 2 'Switch Exclusive at Launch'

Suggests it's a timed exclusive.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

The original article was about predictions based on a game's sale price. Somehow users including moderators have managed to derail the thread into shyte about incels or whatever.

In news
    here's Tekken 7's latest patch notes: https://en.bandainamcoent.eu/tekken/news/tekken-7-season-pass-3-arrives-tuesday-10th-september?utm_source=SM_official&utm_medium=official_post&utm_campaign=T7_Patch300 Some quality of life updates and lots of character balancing. I can't read the character balancing properly from the PDF Anyone else seeing it like this?

tKDvYC7.png

Maybe I'm lacking the right fonts or something. I got this news from a steam alert. First time its ever been useful! Hope valve keeps that up whatever it is.

Displays for me no problem in Firefox.
    Maybe try downloading the PDF & Adobe Reader.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,844 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Surely Keanu is gonna be in Death Stranding now.

https://twitter.com/HIDEO_KOJIMA_EN/status/1170223627062538243?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 12,540 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Valve changed their TOS for developers/publishers.

They're pulling same move as MS did during the 360 against PS3, requiring that games can't release earlier on other platforms than on steam. Same for DLC, all DLC has to be available on steam and release no later on steam.

Either going to get them what they want or a lot of ESG games will never come to steam now.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Assuming we're talking about this supposed recent change, it reads more like they're changing the terms for how and when a developer or publisher can market and release on Steam via their Steam page.

Essentially, if the game hasn't been released, make sure you submit the game to be released before the release date on your Steam page. If it's already commercially released, when you apply for the Steam page, the release date must be within 30 days of the submission. After the initial release, all updates must come to the Steam version no later than they come to other platforms.

This ties in with their policy shift from back in early August where they announced that release date changes would need to be approved by them rather than giving developers/publishers free reign to alter them and also a recent comment from one of their Business Development guys regarding the comment they left on the Metro Exodus page after they jumped ship to EGS.

All perfectly reasonable imo, Steam isn't there to provide free advertisement or forum hosting for your game if you won't want to engage with the platform from the start.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,920 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

Anyone having issues with Gears 5? Getting so many glitches and bugs playing through the campaign

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

PsychoPete wrote: »
    Anyone having issues with Gears 5? Getting so many glitches and bugs playing through the campaign

Cut scenes lag for me and there are quite a few of them, havent played MP.

9900k 1080ti :confused:

dreamers75 wrote: »

I'm having problems with collectables not saving, saving checkout not going away, enemies not appearing and a few other problems

• Registered Users Posts: 28,100 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

dreamers75 wrote: »

There's an issue with the servers according to Reddit and for some reason the campaign checks back to the server but it's not syncing properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,540 ✭✭✭✭Varik

If the game allows, try playing offline.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭Rob2D

Collectables are acting up for me alright. The servers must still be broke from the downtime on Friday.

Some cutscenes lag for a few frames for me when they start. But there is an option to adjust their framerate, so it might be worth trying that.

Other than that everything runs great. Gears 4 was one of the best PC games I ever played in terms of options and performance across different hardware and this is shaping up to be the same.

I'm currently running @4K 60fps with Ultra everything no problem.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,357 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

https://twitter.com/ZhugeEX/status/1171522449629822976

Yikes. GameStop has not been doing well.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,943 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

Oh boy, I can't wait to buy a shïtload of Funkos in a liquidation sale.

Game pass , argos being cheaper should I want a disc etc. Only time I'd go near them is if they have a good deal on trades, and considering I only bought one game on disc this year the rest being game pass or stuff on sale I've not much to trade.

It's mad , I would have been in there, HMV, and Xtra Vision every Friday on my way home 10 years ago and would likely have left all 3 with something. Took me longer than many to give up on physical media and games the longest but now the only reason I'll buy a disc is if I want it on launch day and it's cheaper to do so.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Last time I bought a physical game was Red Dead Redemption 2 and I had to sit and stare at it installing itself for over an hour. Never, ever again.

Gamestop senior brass could only think short term goals for the last 10 or 15 years and here they are in dire straits and it's no one's fault but their own. I feel really awful for their staff on the ground who've been working really hard cause retail is hell.

• Advertisement

Anyone interested in preordering the new consoles should think long and hard about putting cash down in GS

• Registered Users Posts: 11,969 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

I would hate to see Gamestop go out of business. The staff in my nearest one are super.

Jordan 199 wrote: »
    I would hate to see Gamestop go out of business. The staff in my nearest one are super.

Likewise and know exactly what they are talking about. Surely it was only a matter of time before this happened

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,273 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

I always buy physical discs as I can trade them in but I only use CEX. The prices in Gamestop are outrageous. Their pricing structure can't be helping their situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

The thing with GameStop now is that there's no reason to go into one. Forget the fact that they're almost always €10 dearer for new games, or that they devote 50% of their floor space to Funcopops and t-shirts or even that they still sell second-hand games for 95% of the price of a new one.

My main problem with them now is that that they don't carry any games older than a few months. Going back to the GAME and even EB days, there was always a reason to go in and browse - you might come across an older game you'd been meaning to pick up or even something for a handheld console that you'd thought about getting at launch but never did.

All they have in stock now is the top 10 games of the last few months at prices that are higher than anywhere else and I'd honestly rather go in and browse through the glorified pawnshop that is CEX now.

Their problems are historical too. They never really tried to embrace their customer base when the times were good and were happier to get by on gouging parents once or twice a year. Their was never any effort to try and foster any kind of customer loyalty or community. Look at something like the Games Workshops places, they know their audience, appeal to them with hosted community nights and a chance to just drop in, hang out and play their games.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Kingp35 wrote: »
    I always buy physical discs as I can trade them in but I only use CEX. The prices in Gamestop are outrageous. Their pricing structure can't be helping their situation.

I doubt the hundreds of copies of Cars 3 they recieved in Ireland to buy FIFA, COD, Pokemon, Last of Us part 2 & basically any other big game in the next 6-8 months helps their bottom line. Surely people have just stopped buying first party Xbox games physically as if you can play Gears 5 nearly a week early with Gamepass Plus (which pays for itself) it doesn't make sense to buy Gears 5 off the shelf.
    It would be a shame to see them go as I'd rather buy a console there than order it online. I got my Switch & PS4 no problem after preordering only a few weeks beforehand. I'm not sure how much Argos & Smyths are going to cover gaming preorders at a competitive rate if Brexit makes online shopping all round sh!ttier.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,192 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Yeah I miss the old GAME days too. You would have an entire shop floor selling both new and old games. It was great going in and picking up an old game for a good price. Geez that's a long time ago now :(
    I actually have some fond memories of GAME. I remember going in with my brother to buy WCW Thunder on the PS1.

As for GameStop? To hell with them. Yes it's not right some people will lose their jobs and it's not their fault. But management has made a lot of bad choices over the years to get to the point where now, as said above, new games are more expensive, the pre-owned games are a rip etc that there's no need to go in to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,470 ✭✭✭SolvableKnave

I would still use the local GS, but only for pre-order CE's, as the prices have always been in line with Argos and Smyths, and they're much closer to home/train for collection at end of day. The staff have always been great. Went in for a Destiny CE and got talking to the chap behind the counter for about 10 minutes about the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

Bayonetta 1/2 won't be available to purchase digitally for Nintendo customers in UK and Japan: https://www.oneangrygamer.net/2019/09/bayonetta-and-bayonetta-2-for-wii-u-being-pulled-from-eshops-on-september-18th/92774/

Super meat boy dev thinks taking EGS money for timed exclusivity is a no-brainer: https://nichegamer.com/2019/09/10/super-meat-boy-forever-dev-says-epic-store-exclusivity-was-a-total-no-brainer/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,034 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

It's hard to know where these stores will close or how many will go in Ireland or Europe. For context, Gamestop have over 5700 stores so whilst closing 180-200 stores isn't good, it's only 3.5% of their overall figures.

It was noted on the company call that 95% of their stores were profitable as well (with a 21% increase in toys and collectibles sales) so I wouldn't bet on it falling off the planet just yet. Maybe in time, but possibly (and hopefully) they stick around.
    As for GameStop? To hell with them. Yes it's not right some people will lose their jobs and it's not their fault. But management has made a lot of bad choices over the years to get to the point where now, as said above, new games are more expensive, the pre-owned games are a rip etc that there's no need to go in to them.

That's a bit harsh. All physical entertainment stores have struggled immensely with digital. Maybe the right decisions weren't made in every scenario but they're swimming upstream with the rise in digital. If it was easy as selling a game a little cheaper to be more profitable, they're hardly stupid enough to ignore that. There's clearly more to it whether it's buying power, inability to loss lead, etc but who knows. But it's far too derivative to say "they charge too much, that's the problem and that's why they're closing."

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement