Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gaming News

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭Doctor Nick

Taipei Game show has been postponed til Summer as a result of Coronavirus outbreak

Balls. Googled hoping you were having me on. Was looking forward to whatever they were going to show.

Agree with Retro.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,006 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

Balls. Googled hoping you were having me on. Was looking forward to whatever they were going to show.

Agree with Retro.

https://twitter.com/TaipeiGameShow/status/1223185135073234945?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 7,923 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Was looking forward to seeing more of Elden Ring.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,178 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

I still watch the Elden Ring trailer occasionally. Don't know who the narrator is but he does an amazing job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭Doctor Nick

J. Marston wrote: »
    I still watch the Elden Ring trailer occasionally. Don't know who the narrator is but he does an amazing job.

He does indeed. I love the line "oooh elden ring, shattered by someone or something". Music is brilliant in it as well though From games always have amazing Boss themes. Abyss Watchers gives me goosebumps.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,178 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

"Abyss Watchers" because "Artorias fanboys" doesn't sound as intimidating.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

Daemon X Machina making the jump from Swich to Steam next week.

That came out of nowhere!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,420 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Gunmonkey wrote: »
    Daemon X Machina making the jump from Swich to Steam next week.

That came out of nowhere!

Was thinking of buying this soon. Thank god it's coming to a platform where the framerate won't be criminal.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

https://twitter.com/jasonschreier/status/1224816844466532352?s=19

Not sure what this will mean long term with the direction of Rockstar but is newsworthy I think

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,420 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

ERG89 wrote: »
    https://twitter.com/jasonschreier/status/1224816844466532352?s=19

Not sure what this will mean long term with the direction of Rockstar but is newsworthy I think

Better writing in their games I hope.

Get the people from Rockstar Vancouver to replace him please!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,470 ✭✭✭SolvableKnave

• Registered Users Posts: 29,844 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Hopefully the Mafia 4 rumours/ leaks are true

https://twitter.com/Nibellion/status/1225765037224157185?s=19

Mafia 2 and 3....

They fall into that category of game that baffles me. Two games that got savaged in reviews but the general public like them but you know what, the reviews were right, they are thrash.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Mafia 2 and 3....

They fall into that category of game that baffles me. Two games that got savaged in reviews but the general public like them but you know what, the reviews were right, they are thrash.

Hey hey hey, Mafia 2 wasn't perfect but let's not lump it in with Mafia 3. I'm playing Mafia 2 again and it's a lot of fun but it does miss some of the magic of 1. I'd have optimistic hope that they can return to that magic with 4. 3 is actually quite good with all dlc and if you ignore as many repeatable missions as possible. It really lost the classic Mafia setting though.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,969 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    Hey hey hey, Mafia 2 wasn't perfect but let's not lump it in with Mafia 3. I'm playing Mafia 2 again and it's a lot of fun but it does miss some of the magic of 1. I'd have optimistic hope that they can return to that magic with 4. 3 is actually quite good with all dlc and if you ignore as many repeatable missions as possible. It really lost the classic Mafia setting though.
    Some cracking tunes in Mafia 3.

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭goon_magee

Zero-Cool wrote: »

I'd go so far as to say Mafia 2 was criminally underrated. I loved it from start to finish. Fantastic writing, great setting, soundtrack and atmosphere. I enjoyed Mafia 1 but genuinely rather 2.

3 on the other hand just didn't work for me. Great story, atmosphere and soundtrack. But the absolute mountains of busywork you had to push through to get to the actual decent set piece story missions just ruined it for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,576 ✭✭✭EoinHef

I see what hes getting at but at the same time they are definitely in competition with Sony in the phyical console space so a bit of a strange thing to say.

Also im startimg to get sick of all these business people telling me what the future of gaming is,if i had a penny for everytime they were wrong id a rich man.

"Oh streaming is the future" ok then show me one single company thats managed to make that work?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,354 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

EoinHef wrote: »
    I see what hes getting at but at the same time they are definitely in competition with Sony in the phyical console space so a bit of a strange thing to say.

Also im startimg to get sick of all these business people telling me what the future of gaming is,if i had a penny for everytime they were wrong id a rich man.

"Oh streaming is the future" ok then show me one single company thats managed to make that work?

He's solely talking about it from a streaming perspective though, that's what the entire premise of the article is. From that perspective, he's right. Sony can't replicate the vast server infrastructure required, that's why they've teamed up with Microsoft for game streaming. No one knows what Nintendo are doing, but, as much as I love my switch, they still can't do online right, so the chances of them moving into game streaming on their own? Pretty slim I'd say.

I think Phil is quite western focused in terms of competitors as well, I'd have Tencent and Alibaba up there with Google and Amazon.

CatInABox wrote: »
    He's solely talking about it from a streaming perspective though, that's what the entire premise of the article is. From that perspective, he's right. Sony can't replicate the vast server infrastructure required, that's why they've teamed up with Microsoft for game streaming. No one knows what Nintendo are doing, but, as much as I love my switch, they still can't do online right, so the chances of them moving into game streaming on their own? Pretty slim I'd say.

I think Phil is quite western focused in terms of competitors as well, I'd have Tencent and Alibaba up there with Google and Amazon.

What hes actually saying is gaming is going to be dominated by streaming and he doesnt compete with Sony and Nintendo because of that. Thats just not true so far though. Why is microsoft releasing a console later this year then? Can anyone name one company who has had big success with streaming?

He trying to frame the thing microsoft have an advantage in as the thing that matters,but atm thats not really true.

His biggest competition this year will come from Sony when the Series X and PS5 launch. Its just business speak imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

CatInABox wrote: »

What? :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,354 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

J Mysterio wrote: »
    What? :pac:

Tencent is the largest videogame company in the world, and Alibaba, a massive tech giant. Both are interested in game streaming.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,868 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

What hes actually saying is gaming is going to be dominated by streaming and he doesnt compete with Sony and Nintendo because of that. Thats just not true so far though. Why is microsoft releasing a console later this year then? Can anyone name one company who has had big success with streaming?

He trying to frame the thing microsoft have an advantage in as the thing that matters,but atm thats not really true.

His biggest competition this year will come from Sony when the Series X and PS5 launch. Its just business speak imo.

He is talking about 5 years down the line. Not just this Christmas.

Microsoft have been bang on the money. They got slated when the Xbox launched as it had a Ethernet port and no one had LAN cables in their house. But they saw online gaming coming.

When they launched the Xbox One they got slated because it was a forward thinking digital focused console. Now 80% of sales are digital and there is only a hand full of Game stops that you can still buy or trade games in at.

Now they are a coming with a service. They have the best offering, the console isn't the focus, it's the service. Just subscribe to Xbox and get games on PC, Xbox series X, Xbox One, Mobile, likely on the Switch.

They have the money, the tech and the expertise to do it. They only other companies that can match the investment is Google and Amazon.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Its shìte. Digital is the future but people want choice, not to be tied to a subscription service. I haven't bought a physical game in years. Its grand if its a tenner for Netflix or whatever, but its a little different for €50 euro a month or whatever for all the newest releases each month.

Im interested in maybe 2,3 games coming up. The Last of Us 2 and Cyberpunk. I'm not paying for that service and the majority won't either. As said above, this is corporate speak for investment and buzz.

I worked in the games industry for the last four years and am aware of Googles latest offering. I will be very surprised if it makes hay. Even their launch titles sound shìte.

It's about subscriptions to Microsoft cloud services in all areas. That is why the competition is Google and Amazon. Hes not talking about selling console hardware. Series X is hardware that allows you to connect and subscribe to Microsoft services. Same with the surface line up.

Remember Phil is now at the board table. Xbox is part of the bigger picture which under Satya is all about Azure.

Sony signing up to use Azure is a perfect example. They're not competitors in the cloud field, they are customers.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,868 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

Game pass Ultimate which gives you 270+ games on xbox. 170+ on PC, and Xbox live is only €12.99 a month. Similar price to Netflix HD.

I just finished Gears of War 5 last night, starting Outer Worlds today then Hellblade next. It will have more than paid for itself.

Game pass Ultimate which gives you 270+ games on xbox. 170+ on PC, and Xbox live is only €12.99 a month. Similar price to Netflix HD.

I just finished Gears of War 5 last night, starting Outer Worlds today then Hellblade next. It will have more than paid for itself.

One area where it's absolutely kicking Sony's arse. Ps now and ps plus are a joke compared

He is talking about 5 years down the line. Not just this Christmas.

Microsoft have been bang on the money. They got slated when the Xbox launched as it had a Ethernet port and no one had LAN cables in their house. But they saw online gaming coming.

When they launched the Xbox One they got slated because it was a forward thinking digital focused console. Now 80% of sales are digital and there is only a hand full of Game stops that you can still buy or trade games in at.

Now they are a coming with a service. They have the best offering, the console isn't the focus, it's the service. Just subscribe to Xbox and get games on PC, Xbox series X, Xbox One, Mobile, likely on the Switch.

They have the money, the tech and the expertise to do it. They only other companies that can match the investment is Google and Amazon.

Hang on hang on,your remebering that differently than me,or more specifically to how it actually happened.

Xbox came out and talked about TV when they released the Xbox,what? Who asked for a console that could integrate with their TV?. They also talked about phyical games being locked to a specific console. We all knew consoles would need to be online to play online games,what MS wanted was online all the time no matter what game you played ie DRM and to kill the second hand market. Ether net? PS4 has an ethernet port too,fail to see that being some visionary step? They were way off the mark with what gamers wanted,and thats been proven in sales. They have done a ton of good work since then but it came too late this gen.

Its widely accepted MS made a balls of that launch and their focus had drifted away from games.

As for their service ie gamepass. Its very good imo,it will most likely be the reason ill go Xbox next gen. Sony could compete with it though. In a way PS Now alresdy does,even though i think Now is terrible.

The streaming part is the only part that i doubt sony could make as good,so to me it boils down to phil spencer framing the thing MS has an advantage in being the most important thing in games,i disagree. Again show me one company who made a major success of streaming yet? But were supposed to believe is the second coming.

We were told the PS4 and Xbox 1 would be the last consoles when they launched,that streaming would soon take over,yet here we are awaiting the release of another gen of consoles years later.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

We were told the PS4 and Xbox 1 would be the last consoles when they launched,that streaming would soon take over,yet here we are awaiting the release of another gen of consoles years later.

Told by who exactly? Anybody making a claim like that hasn't got a clue. New hardware will always be a thing because technology is always improving.

Streaming and digital media taking over is and will continue to happen but that has absolutely no bearing on hardware. There will always a be a newer box that improves on the old box.

Kirby wrote: »
    Told by who exactly? Anybody making a claim like that hasn't got a clue. New hardware will always be a thing because technology is always improving.

Streaming and digital media taking over is and will continue to happen but that has absolutely no bearing on hardware. There will always a be a newer box that improves on the old box.

The same people who are saying the PS5 and Series X will be the last console before streaming makes them redundant.

Thats exactly my point,MS are producing a console so they are in competition with Sony. Mr Spencer doesnt think he is though.

In the article he says Sony are "out of position" in the gaming market. Maybe in the streaming market but again thats hardly at a point where its taking over.

And ive yet to see anyone make a real success of streaming services. Theres more and more companies entering the space but i dont see anyone really making it work,well not well enough to take over from hardware

• Advertisement

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement