Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gaming News

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

Its very early days yet, but one would have to hope, that off the success of Apex legends and Jedi Fallen order, and the appointment of Zampella, that EA might finally be thinking of trying to turn their reputation around.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Oh please god no. While I would love a new Star Trek game (bring back the 4x strategy game from years ago please), don't give it to a company that's pretty much fcuked it's last two IP's, due to continued mismanagement, and a dictat from EA to use Frostbite.

Oh, absolutely. But from their own perspective, I mean.

I'd love a Star Trek RPG, but I'd be extremely suspicious if EA or any of their zombie companies had a hand in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,942 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Star Trek games peaked in 1997:

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Shiminay wrote: »
    EA financed the development of Frostbite (through Dice Studios) with the expectation that it would be the engine behind all their games. You can see why "executives" with no understanding of game design might think that this was a successful problem solving exercise and, for the most part, it was. It's not a bad engine, but the idea that you can build a single engine to manage all possible requirement scenarios isn't exactly the best solution. Unreal and Unity are big money makers and EA was probably thinking about a pivot into that sort of business too, but by all accounts, Frostbite just isn't that good of a solution for people who need a ready-made engine. Again, you can understand why executives would be scratching their head at the idea that the game engine "problem" that they felt they solved years ago should somehow be related to their big new game from Bioware being way off course and about to miss all its targets. So many of their problems could be improved if they had experienced games development staff at all the decision making positions.

That was 10 years ago tho, Frostbite is a very capable engine and in PC terms probably the best looking one around. Looks are not everything tho, whoever the Lead was on these games is the one that should be facing the flak not the execs or investors if Frostbite was the cause of the issues.

Ubi has serious issues also with its own engine in that it can only seemingly make one kind of game and none of them are multiplayer by more than "maybe" 12 people in one tiny part of a massive map.

Unreal and Unity ....most of the time due to their ability to take in plugins and are built from the ground up to be SP, MP, RPG etc

Ea have "published" Unreal and shockingly Source engine games in the last few years. So i dont think its as clear cut as made out.

My opinions on Anthem are well known in the game thread, awesome iron man sim, poop at everything else. looks nice in 4k too.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,370 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Thargor wrote: »
    Star Trek games peaked in 1997:

My favorite Star Trek game was Birth of the Federation, the problem with it now is that it has massive memory leaks late game and becomes literally unplayable:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,843 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Ah lads, at this rate, Phil Spencer will be the only one to show up to e3 2020.

https://twitter.com/geoffkeighley/status/1227638604618293248?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

Zero-Cool wrote: »

Nobody cares about you Geoffrey!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭JimBurnley

I also won't be attending E3 this year ��

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

I think it's more that he and his company aren't working with the ESA on E3 rather than he's not going to be there personally.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,460 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

E3 needs to be taken around the back and shot at this stage. The world of gaming would be much better without that marketing fest being the centre of gravity. The astounding incompetence of the ESA doesn’t help.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Todd Howard & Ubisoft will be there. Such a shame E3 is in the toilet while the ESA accidentally leak personal information, try to cram more fans into the event despite companies choosing to not attend (I assume the likes of Keighley is partly due to a needless cost for floor show space) & its apparently going to be targeted as more of a fan & influencer event this year.
    I'm kinda shocked Microsoft backed the event this year as Sony or Nintendo don't need it.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,754 ✭✭✭✭Penn

ERG89 wrote: »
    I'm kinda shocked Microsoft backed the event this year as Sony or Nintendo don't need it.

Probably just because of the Xbox Series X launching this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,109 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Ubisoft just being really mean now.
    New Prince of Persia game
    as a VR Escape Room

https://twitter.com/Ubisoft/status/1227640166459858949?s=20

ERG89 wrote: »
    Todd Howard & Ubisoft will be there. Such a shame E3 is in the toilet while the ESA accidentally leak personal information, try to cram more fans into the event despite companies choosing to not attend (I assume the likes of Keighley is partly due to a needless cost for floor show space) & its apparently going to be targeted as more of a fan & influencer event this year.

E3 is a load of bollox but it's pantomime at this stage, dramatics, fumbles and excitement of new games. Absolutely no need for it but I'd miss it if it went.

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭HairySalmon

E3 is a load of bollox but it's pantomime at this stage, dramatics, fumbles and excitement of new games. Absolutely no need for it but I'd miss it if it went.

I still love the tradition of huge game reveals around June and hope that all the companies use it to announce their games in directs with no cringe and needless celebrities.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,468 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

Yeah, sorry lads, but E3 (apart from MS, hopefully) will be an utter clusterfcuk this year!
    It's being centred around influencers!
    Enough said :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

He's all that E3 needs.

Nobody_cares.gif

Geoff thinks he is a platform himself. He'll do a direct instead lol

https://twitter.com/geoffkeighley/status/1227638604618293248?s=19[/quote]

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,417 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Nobody_cares.gif

Geoff thinks he is a platform himself. He'll do a direct instead lol

[/QUOTE]

Will they be mountain dew related?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

Geoff Kieghly is a man who generates his own importance really, made up his own awards show and in fairness, has promoted it to the scale that we now see games being announced at it and people somewhat looking forward to it. But he seems to vastly overestimate how 'beloved' his is by the average punter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,192 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Yeah Kieghly's post does smack of arrogance. No one cares if you aren't going, man.
    Love the way he doesn't actually say why he is "declining" - I guess you could say why should he too. But it's obviously about money tho. He probably asked for Y amount but X amount was only being offered. If he can make more else where feck it why not.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,754 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Yeah Kieghly's post does smack of arrogance. No one cares if you aren't going, man.
    Love the way he doesn't actually say why he is "declining" - I guess you could say why should he too. But it's obviously about money tho. He probably asked for Y amount but X amount was only being offered. If he can make more else where feck it why not.

Maybe he's trying to lessen the impact E3 has in order to make the Game Awards the place for new game announcements.

Penn wrote: »
    Maybe he's trying to lessen the impact E3 has in order to make the Game Awards the place for new game announcements.

I'd say that is precisely what he is doing. Trying to devalue E3 in order to get more sponsors to believe that the Game Awards is a more fitting and impactful venue for their advertisements.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,417 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

The Game Awards are complete and utter Ballocks anyway. If it wasn't for the game announcements there'd be no one turning up. It's just a populist vote so never any surprises and ****e nominees.

I'm still bitter at the snubbing they gave game of the decade Ace Combat 7.

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭one armed dwarf

Tbh the ESA exposed a bunch of private details that were unnecessary to even be held onto in the first place, so maybe this is the start of a shunning of them by the journalists part of the industry. Which imo is fair enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,468 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

Never even heard of the game awards until this year!
    But then again, I can't stand Keighly (?), so there's that :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,923 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Article in RPS about the gamers who stream on Twitch, as Gaeilge.

You'd swear he got MeToo'd

https://twitter.com/geoffkeighley/status/1227798244622684161

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭one armed dwarf

TBH I would not be surprised if E3 gets cancelled if this nvoc stuff is still a concern come June.

Anyway E3 provides relatively few opportunities to hang out with his bestie Hideo compared to his own show(s)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,192 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Gas, isn't it.
    It's probably all sh*te talk but lets say for a second he did get loads of calls and texts because then geez, it really does talk about how being famous (or in his case somewhat famous :pac: ) really effects people.

Like you say you think he got touched up or something .... "are you ok Geoff?!? do you need anything?! im here for you Geoff!!!" :pac: Fecking hell.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement