Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gaming News

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,893 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Sony just confirmed Horizon Zero Dawn complete edition coming to PC this summer. Not sure if it was already confirmed or just a rumor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,203 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Why did Reggie leave Nintendo anyways?
    Quietly forced out? aka, "we're going in a different direction" :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Looks pretty good.

Sounds like one of the good remasters. 20 quid is not bad value at all.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,704 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,710 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Didn't think it was a great game but will be interesting to see what improvements the PC brings and also if it's the start of more Sony games coming to PC.

Probably won't be and will be more a test for Sony to sell the engine as a multiplatform engine to replace the Phyre engine but fingers crossed.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Looking forward to Horizon. One of the games i really wanted to play on the PS4.

Now if only Spiderman would also come across :/

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭goon_magee

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Didn't think it was a great game but will be interesting to see what improvements the PC brings and also if it's the start of more Sony games coming to PC.

Probably won't be and will be more a test for Sony to sell the engine as a multiplatform engine to replace the Phyre engine but fingers crossed.

I also didn't think Horizon was great. Interesting combat bogged down by a generic cookie cutter open world template straight from the Ubisoft playbook. Outside of its combat, it didn't do anything fresh or original and as per every open world Ubisoft game since AC2, you weren't so much exploring the world, more systematically making your way through it working your way through a checklist of vanilla activities already seen in multiple other games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭Cordell

I have to disagree, it's the best Assassin Creed game ever.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

This time the radio towers are moving dinosaurs! :D

I really enjoyed H:ZD as it felt like the ultimate refinement of what we can probably safely call "every other Ubisoft game" :D and whilst it's all a bit overdone now, there was enough there to keep me engaged and interested throughout my play through of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭daheadonu

Hopefully this means bloodbourne might get a port,a stable framerate and pc mods would be great

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,251 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Bit bloody late to release it on PC surely?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,710 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Breath of the wild has ruined Ubi games for me forever more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

Ubi ruined Ubi games for me forever more. Haven't bought a single thing they've made since AC2.

Sonics2k wrote: »

Lucky pc owners even get a whiff of the Sony scraps tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

Breath of the wild has ruined Ubi games for me forever more.

Yup. Played H:ZD after BotW and was just frustrated constantly when I encountered a gentle slope I cant climb up without skidding back down or until I find some part of it with some yellow Dulux slathered on.

Why did Reggie leave Nintendo anyways?
    Quietly forced out? aka, "we're going in a different direction" :p

Probably sick of making Mario/Zelda games. What a strange move to join a sinking ship though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Sonics2k wrote: »
    Technical work done to get engine and content pipeline working on PC.
    The IP isn't intrinsically tied to the platform to the point that it appearing on something else would damage the PS brand.
    Relatively well received and should make them a nice stack of cash.

Why not, I guess?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,704 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    Probably sick of making Mario/Zelda games. What a strange move to join a sinking ship though.

Big Payday for him 💲💲💲💲💲💸💸💸💸

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Look at his CV, making odd moves is what he's all about. Pizza Hut, Guinness, VH1 are totally different from video games. It's probably a good time to join them as there are new systems right around the corner & there are more exciting new games at retail this year compared to the last few years. Long term I don't know what they can do tho.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,896 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

He can't lose. If they go under it was inevitable. If he helps save them he is a genius.

I'd like to see them become customer focused and stay open. The current way of shutting stores and ripping off customers isn't working.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,427 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

CastorTroy wrote: »

Reggie helping to distribute life jackets on the Titanic after its hit the iceberg and is going down.

I have to admire that though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,982 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

It (unsurprisingly) looks like an E3-cancellation announcement is imminent.

https://twitter.com/jasonschreier/status/1237546233876471808?s=20

2k recent earnings call mentioned about not setting a revenue record in nba 2k20 but they plan to address it. For anyone who havn't played, 2k19 was ridiculous in the fact you had to pay to boost your player in a single player career mode because 2k made you so **** and grindy, it wasn't fun to play unless you boosted. This year was less grindy and a bit more fun so less people paid bit still the majority of players did in order to be competitive online.

Also in My Team, they have away a lot of free good cards that you had to grind to improve them. Really fun feature for me, not only building a team but building players as well. It sounds like they realised this has put peaople off paying for card packs and will fix it.

2k are literally the worst.

"And that means now and then we may fall short of setting a record, but failing to set a record isn’t exactly a problem when you have a title that is massively successful as NBA 2K20 is. It’s an incredibly profitable title for the firm [but]....there were some design changes that didn’t optimize specific recurrent consumer spending in certain modes and we are confident we will be able to address those."

"While this increased engagement led to strong growth in the current consumer spending in certain modes of NBA 2K20, we have not experienced the same positive benefits across the entire game due to some specific design changes which we plan to address"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,086 ✭✭✭✭Penn

2k recent earnings call mentioned about not setting a revenue record in nba 2k20 but they plan to address it. For anyone who havn't played, 2k19 was ridiculous in the fact you had to pay to boost your player in a single player career mode because 2k made you so **** and grindy, it wasn't fun to play unless you boosted. This year was less grindy and a bit more fun so less people paid bit still the majority of players did in order to be competitive online.

Also in My Team, they have away a lot of free good cards that you had to grind to improve them. Really fun feature for me, not only building a team but building players as well. It sounds like they realised this has put peaople off paying for card packs and will fix it.

2k are literally the worst.

"And that means now and then we may fall short of setting a record, but failing to set a record isn’t exactly a problem when you have a title that is massively successful as NBA 2K20 is. It’s an incredibly profitable title for the firm [but]....there were some design changes that didn’t optimize specific recurrent consumer spending in certain modes and we are confident we will be able to address those."

"While this increased engagement led to strong growth in the current consumer spending in certain modes of NBA 2K20, we have not experienced the same positive benefits across the entire game due to some specific design changes which we plan to address"

Seems like they'll soon be able to do similar with the NFL. EA's exclusivity deal is up and 2K are now going to be able to make non-simulation-based NFL games. So we can expect a game loosely based on NFL but with all the fun cards and gambling mechanics and paying for a hairstyle for your character from the other 2K games

It's like they learned everything they know about business from Robocop's OCP and Alien's Weyland Yutani.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

If people are still willing to buy their games and pay for this ****e, why wouldn't they keep milking them. Scummy practise, but it clearly works.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Yeah, it's a hateful, cynical practise but it's also clear that all the bad press & hit pieces isn't having an effect on sales. I guess there's a demographic or audience that either aren't aware, or just don't care they're being taken for a ride.

The only reason it's working is that basketball fans have no other choice. They have the market their wrapped up. And it's a shame as the game is apparently really good if it wasn't for the scumbag mechanics.

The trailer for last year was insane. It actually showed gambling mechnics and celebrated them by showing slot machines and roulette wheels. They weren't even trying to hide it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,086 ✭✭✭✭Penn

The only reason it's working is that basketball fans have no other choice. They have the market their wrapped up. And it's a shame as the game is apparently really good if it wasn't for the scumbag mechanics.

The trailer for last year was insane. It actually showed gambling mechnics and celebrated them by showing slot machines and roulette wheels. They weren't even trying to hide it.

That was one of the weirdest game trailers I've ever seen. You'd nearly swear they accidentally released a specially-made trailer that they show to shareholders.

• Advertisement

It was slap bang in the middle of all the investigations and controversy. You had EA legal mouthpieces at Senate hearings trying to spin it as surprise mechanics and then 2K release that.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement