Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gaming News

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,843 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    The only reason it's working is that basketball fans have no other choice. They have the market their wrapped up. And it's a shame as the game is apparently really good if it wasn't for the scumbag mechanics.

The trailer for last year was insane. It actually showed gambling mechnics and celebrated them by showing slot machines and roulette wheels. They weren't even trying to hide it.

EA had NBA Live 18 and 19, both a complete breath of fresh air but couldn't compete with 2k. They had mtx for their ultimate team mode, like every other sports game, but someone reported you have to pay for all the modes and because it was made by EA, all the media sites spread the game news. There was more outrage because of that fake news than 2k being completely and openly anti consumer every year. EA have such a bad name, 2K knows they can get away with. EA cancelled live 20 in hopes to come back better and stronger next gen but 2k could literally piss in the faces of people buying this at launch and instantly buy 60 dollars vc to boost their player. They wouldn't be happy but they'd still open their wallets.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,754 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    EA had NBA Live 18 and 19, both a complete breath of fresh air but couldn't compete with 2k. They had mtx for their ultimate team mode, like every other sports game, but someone reported you have to pay for all the modes and because it was made by EA, all the media sites spread the game news. There was more outrage because of that fake news than 2k being completely and openly anti consumer every year. EA have such a bad name, 2K knows they can get away with. EA cancelled live 20 in hopes to come back better and stronger next gen but 2k could literally piss in the faces of people buying this at launch and instantly buy 60 dollars vc to boost their player. They wouldn't be happy but they'd still open their wallets.

2K's name is getting more and more sullied between their NBA advert with the gambling and the WWE 2K20 debacle. It'll be interesting to see what they do this year; will they pull back a bit or plow on ahead with even more mtx sh*te.

I know what my money would be on, but I'm not a gambling man (hence why I haven't played those games).

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,415 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

E3 looking to be cancelled.

• Retr0gamer wrote: »
    E3 looking to be cancelled.

Microsoft triggered no doubt

• Registered Users Posts: 28,099 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Microsoft triggered no doubt

Doubt that but I'd imagine that'll be the death kneel for E3 now. Developers will most likely do a Livestream event to announce all their E3 news, get loads of traffic from it and realize it's more cost effective to swerve E3.

• Advertisement

TitianGerm wrote: »
    Doubt that but I'd imagine that'll be the death kneel for E3 now. Developers will most likely do a Livestream event to announce all their E3 news, get loads of traffic from it and realize it's more cost effective to swerve E3.

Yeah. In a way it's a shame because I have always enjoyed the fact it's this big gaming event with huge news, trailers and reveals, and of course waiting for the unintentional cringe. Developers doing their own livestreams probably on different dates etc so as to dominate more of the news just dilutes the whole thing.

But it was coming in the next few years anyway. Sony pulled out and weren't likely to return, and announcements/trailers have begun to be so premature that the game is barely heard of again for years, or you get trailers for the same game numerous years in a row.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,415 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Writing was on the wall when Nintendo pulled out and their Directs proved to be highly entertaining and popular. Was surprised MS were having a conference. Think this will be the end of E3, with all publishers going for a Nintendo approach and a smaller event focusing on what E3/CES was all about initially and be more industry focused.

I'll miss the utter disasters of yesteryear. The years when Sony totally screwed up during the PS3 were meme-tastic and I'll never forget the legendary Konami disaster presentation that people still talk about.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Writing was on the wall when Nintendo pulled out and their Directs proved to be highly entertaining and popular. Was surprised MS were having a conference. Think this will be the end of E3, with all publishers going for a Nintendo approach and a smaller event focusing on what E3/CES was all about initially and be more industry focused.

I'll miss the utter disasters of yesteryear. The years when Sony totally screwed up during the PS3 were meme-tastic and I'll never forget the legendary Konami disaster presentation that people still talk about.

My favourite was the MS Kinect reveal and the painful videocall between the woman and her sister. Giving Ubisoft a run for their money in the "scripted banter in a way no-one would ever actually speak" style of presentation.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,006 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,594 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I've often wondered, whether the developers and staff that do those presentations are coerced, or if they legitimately volunteered. They often seem pretty enthusiastic all told, but the demos are always so horribly contrived and cringe inducing, can't imagine them being proud to work on them.

• Advertisement

It's what you get when you send out people with no public speaking experience that work with code all day in front of an audience looking to be entertained. I'd say a lot of them are coerced or think it will be good for their career.

As for the contrived stuff, that's the product of utterly clueless marketing teams or else contracting bad marketing teams to come up with that stuff.

However there's a lot of executives that get up in front of audiences and blow it. Sony are professionals at it but have gotten way better the last few years.

Although it's nice to see someone bumble their way through and still come out looking good due to sheer charisma and personality. Reggie's first E3 appearance was a great one.

Not everyone can be cool as **** leather jacket wearing Todd Howard with his sexy smile who shows off a steaming pile of **** while the front row are in tears because of how physically close they are to God Howard.

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    Not everyone can be cool as **** leather jacket wearing Todd Howard with his sexy smile who shows off a steaming pile of **** while the front row are in tears because of how physically close they are to God Howard.

It's the guy who shouted "You're breathtaking" at Keanu Reeves who I feel most sorry for. No doubt he was planning on returning to E3 and shouting it in everyone's face to try regain some relevance.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,539 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Was no point in E3 anymore.

Bunch of big sites sending out dozens of people to get less information than those at home were getting.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,460 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Extremely sensible move given the coronavirus situation.

Next year hopefully it will also be cancelled on the also sensible basis that the whole thing has become a glorified ad-fest that draws too much attention for what is in essence a series of infomercials for giant companies :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭ahnowbrowncow

Not a surprise, there was little to no reason for it to go ahead once Sony and Jason Schreier announced they wouldn't be attending.

Not a surprise, there was little to no reason for it to go ahead once Sony and Jason Schreier announced they wouldn't be attending.
    Series X was due to be revealed. Oh sorry do people still do the console war thing these days?

Series X was due to be revealed. Oh sorry do people still do the console war thing these days?

Videogame console affiliation: Serious Business.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,539 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Sony and MS are barley doing the reveal thing these days.

So much information out with little to no fanfare at times.

• Advertisement

Well they already did a large bulk of the reveal giving the name, images and some of the technical specs. All that's really left is a few features and game reveals. I don't think doing it in an online direct will hamper that in any way, bar the absence of the sound of a crowd cheering and stuff.

Sony's reveal of the PS5 will likely end up going the same way.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

They have a stream next week.

https://twitter.com/CNETNews/status/1237413346636431360?s=19

One of the more interesting losses of E3 was a Warner Bros presser. Batman will never be shown at this stage

https://twitter.com/jasonschreier/status/1237768162810179584?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Sully48

After seeing the salt people had regarding Horizon Zero Dawn coming to Steam, yes some people do take the console war seriously these days

• Registered Users Posts: 7,922 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Hmmm that Harry Potter RPG was going to be finally revealed officially?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭ahnowbrowncow

Sully48 wrote: »
    After seeing the salt people had regarding Horizon Zero Dawn coming to Steam, yes some people do take the console war seriously these days

You finally succumbed to the irresistible draw of boards.ie after seven and a half years of resistance?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,969 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

The thing I'll miss most about E3 being cancelled is the thread we have here when it's on.

E3 officially cancelled.

And nothing of value was lost today.

• 8 more days until the Doom Slayer arrives to cleanse the world of Covid 19

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭one armed dwarf

^ Get well soon :(

• Advertisement

8 more days until the Doom Slayer arrives to cleanse the world of Covid 19

Me: Pre-ordering is a scam and makes no sense for a digital release

Bethesda: Doom 64 + new campaign chapter

Me (me bending over for Bethesda): Please be gentle with me.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement