Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gaming News

Options

Comments

• Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Me: Pre-ordering is a scam and makes no sense for a digital release

Bethesda: Doom 64 + new campaign chapter

Me (me bending over for Bethesda): Please be gentle with me.

I went with Steam
    Didn't ****ing cop there was an extra campaign chapter on Bethesda
    ****ing hate Bethesda, so sneaky

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,415 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I went with Steam
    Didn't ****ing cop there was an extra campaign chapter on Bethesda
    ****ing hate Bethesda, so sneaky

Pretty sure it's included with the Doom 64 release on all systems??? Well I hope so as I won't be using the Bethesda DRM, don't trust them.

• Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Pretty sure it's included with the Doom 64 release on all systems??? Well I hope so as I won't be using the Bethesda DRM, don't trust them.

Sorry I misread your post

I thought you meant Doom Eternal

Never-mind me :o

• Registered Users Posts: 29,843 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,594 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Was about to post the same thing. No real surprise that Naughty Dog are pulling Crunch again, despite talking big about how they'd try better not to do it. That falling pipe anecdote is scary though. I'm not sure AAA game development even knows HOW to manage its own projects. Can't even countenance still being in work at 9pm though; I'm no lightweight but 8 hours straight working and your body & mind just stops functioning properly. Mistakes creep in, concentration and problem solving goes out the window.

But hey, while there are still starry eyed graduates will to break their back to work at Hot Dev Company, they'll be there to replace the ones who burn out in their late 20s, 30s...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,415 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I've done it. If you like coding so much that you get engrossed in it you actually enjoy doing and can do it for hours. Coding is addictive. You can feel it's not healthy though and you feel like **** when you stop.

If you are in your twenties trying to build a career and making cool videogames you probably don't mind as you also probably never had a proper normal job. But these companies are exploiting their workers and screwing up their health.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,594 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I've done it. If you like coding so much that you get engrossed in it you actually enjoy doing and can do it for hours. Coding is addictive. You can feel it's not healthy though and you feel like **** when you stop.

If you are in your twenties trying to build a career and making cool videogames you probably don't mind as you also probably never had a proper normal job. But these companies are exploiting their workers and screwing up their health.

The simple solution here is unionisation. The IT industry in general has been averse to unionising for as long as developers have existed, so it's not a problem unique to gaming. As you suggest, there's a "hobbyist" element to the work that simply didn't exist in older generations' careers. No factory worker ever went home to do a little angle grinding after dinner, yet with IT & Development it's not unheard of for coders / artists to just keep going into the long hours of the night. And if it's for a side-project, it's not necessarily a bad thing (I have a couple of code projects I dip in and out of ad-hoc), but yup, companies are exploiting that "always on" mentality that exists in modern industries.

In a related sense, I remember chatting with a manager who was amazed at the concept that when I log off from work, I log off. I don't keep Slack open, don't check my mails. Nothing. This idea that I wasn't reachable at all in the evening seemed astonishing to him.

The problem with unions is that Reagan utterly destroyed them and they've very little power in America now and companies can fire you for joining or starting a union with no repercussions. Even the contracts I sign in Ireland say you can't join a union which I think is illegal.

Blade Runner Enhanced Edition coming to all platforms, expected release this year.

****ing noice!

https://bloody-disgusting.com/video-games/3608673/blade-runner-enhanced-edition-announced-nightdive-studios/

One of those Classics I never got around to playing, for one reason or another. Will definitely take a gander in high def glory though

• Advertisement

pixelburp wrote: »
    One of those Classics I never got around to playing, for one reason or another. Will definitely take a gander in high def glory though

I have been looking lately hoping it would have an Android release as it was brought to Steam recently, this is even better. Old game but a must play.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Fantastic game. Been years since i played it, but absolutely loved it at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭Rob2D

This is good news.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

gizmo wrote: »

That's a fascinating thread. I see Neil is on damage control.

https://twitter.com/Neil_Druckmann/status/1238496735078625281?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 12,539 ✭✭✭✭Varik

gizmo wrote: »

gotten sell his book somehow.

Interesting claim made that Naughty Dog had to bulk its animation department out with Film Animators, cos veteran Game Animators knew to run a mile. And film FX shops are plenty sweatshop themselves. Wonder what kind of projections ND have for their games; crunch seems to come from a demand to hit prescribed deadlines, so presumably there's a lot riding on Last of Us 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Varik wrote: »
    gotten sell his book somehow.
    The guy's been a Lead Animator and Animation Director at some of the largest studios in the world and was at Naughty Dog for over 5 years. I don't think he needs to trade in rumour and innuendo in order to sell his book dealing with the fundamentals of video game animation.

The industry would be a far better place if more people at his level stepped up and called out ****ty behaviour in the workplace.
    pixelburp wrote: »
    Interesting claim made that Naughty Dog had to bulk its animation department out with Film Animators, cos veteran Game Animators knew to run a mile. And film FX shops are plenty sweatshop themselves. Wonder what kind of projections ND have for their games; crunch seems to come from a demand to hit prescribed deadlines, so presumably there's a lot riding on Last of Us 2.
    There'll be a directive from execs and Marketing that the game must be released within a certain window of the financial year and not too close to any other major releases such that they could take attention or sales away from each other.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    That's a fascinating thread. I see Neil is on damage control.

https://twitter.com/Neil_Druckmann/status/1238496735078625281?s=19

That's quite petty tbh. Then again a guy admitting to working on Assassins Creed 3 in his bio is something that surprises me....I enjoyed petting pigs in that game if he did that, thanks.

• It's fairly clear in what he is saying

I love naughty dog games and the last of us but if what he said is true then it's a load of ****e from that company

His thread sounds credible

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 23,178 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Tease HZD2, ya bastards.

Rather they teased a sequel to a good game.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,109 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Knack 3?

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Knack 3?

:D

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,354 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Zero-Cool wrote: »

Can't wait to see it, between this and the Series X reveal the other day, it really feels like the next gen is becoming real.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,922 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭daheadonu

Wow that's a real vlast from the past

Man, Nightdive Studios really have carved out a little niche for themselves; they have obviously run the numbers and realised they can update these creaky 'aul games for buttons vs. the potential profit to be made.

Now if only NOLF licensing could be sorted out. A man can dream.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement