Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gaming News

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Well Karma is a bitch.

As we all know most japanese game companies have been gutted moving to the easy money of ,boils and pachinko slot machines. Konami have gotten rid of their internal development studios to concentrate on both.

Well SNK, the once great creator of some of if not the best fighting games of all time is pulling out of pachinko slot completely after years of the company struggling to get internally developed games out the door when the owners wanted to concentrate on pachinko machines. It seems profits and shares in the pachinko slot business are way down as Japan is moving towards legalising gambling meaning pachinko now has much stiffer competition.

As for karma being a bitch it seems Konami is going through a massive round of lay offs in the pachinko slot division.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

Sauce for that? Delicious if that's the case :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Links234 wrote: »
    Sauce for that? Delicious if that's the case :D

http://www.pachinkovillage.com/news/?p=9705

Actually this could be a good thing, there new Chinese overlords Leyou Millennium sorted out the High Score Girl issue very quickly and also decided to pull out of the pachinko market diverting the funds to the still intact gaming division, who are known to be actively working on at least one new project.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

Thanks ;)

I barely understood a quarter of that :o

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Links234 wrote: »
    Thanks ;)

I barely understood a quarter of that :o

Ooops that was the Japanese version :o
    SNKPlaymore will be withdrawing from the Pachislot business, according to an unconfirmed report by Pachinko industry site Pachislot Village. According to the site, SNKPlaymore currently has no new Pachislot cabinets going through approval processes, meaning they don't have anything planned for relase in the next few months. Warranty and support for currently operating machines haven't been announced yet.

With the market declining in Pachislot, SNKPlaymore will be the 5th company this year that's disappeared from the Pachislot industry due to various reasons.

That said, KOF fans don't have much to worry as the company's videogame division will keep on running and won't be effected.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

Guardian have a list of what they consider the worst games ever which contains the likes of Resistance 2, Haze, Knack and Resident Evil 6 .

Part 1

Part 2

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

AVGN has an episode on most of those :P

The plumbers don't wear ties one still gets me in stiches

• Registered Users Posts: 17,942 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Universal Studios Theme Park adventure is a classic one aswell, they made it a full time job picking up litter just to unlock video clips and sh1tty minigames:

• Registered Users Posts: 29,842 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

That Mike fella is a hundred times easier to listen to than when he was 'Motherf*cker Mike'

Yeah he's loosened up a bit and people like him now, he was an awful awkward geek when he first appeared, he used to get awful abuse in the Youtube comments whenever he appeared, used to feel really bad for him because he reminds me of a couple of my friends.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Never a big fan of youtubers and the like but this is the stupidest thing I have seen today. Pewpewpie thinks Adblock is the reason Youtube are creating youtube red, he is aware that youtube are kind of a big deal and if they wanted to erase adblock from their site they could quite easily?

Or is this just new age "shilling"*

1495879867176465225.png

* A word I have not seen on this forum in years :D

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Pootis

Holy heck

I fooking despise Pewpewpie.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭Benzino

He's right though, ad blockers can have a huge negative effect on sites. Obviously it won't do much harm to the likes of Google now, but it does take revenue away from them.

Benzino wrote: »
    He's right though, ad blockers can have a huge negative effect on sites. Obviously it won't do much harm to the likes of Google now, but it does take revenue away from them.

So a kabilllion dollar company created a subscription service (which has been rumoured since before Adblock became a thing) to counter adblock?

No offence if anyone actually believes that adblock could have an affect on Google they are not aware of Googles size.

This was going to happen and pewdiepie (lol pewpewpie didnt notice that) is shilling.

dreamers75 wrote: »
    So a kabilllion dollar company created a subscription service (which has been rumoured since before Adblock became a thing) to counter adblock?

No offence if anyone actually believes that adblock could have an affect on Google they are not aware of Googles size.

This was going to happen and pewdiepie (lol pewpewpie didnt notice that) is shilling.

I don't know why Google are introducing Red service, maybe it was due to ad blockers, although I very much doubt it. I'm betting you don't know either.

The sentiment is correct though, ad blockers can significantly impact a site's revenue and using them will have consequences. It won't affect the likes of Google, but it will affect smaller sites like most dedicated games sites.

Benzino wrote: »
    t. I'm betting you don't know either.

I bet its to make more money for the shareholders and I bet I am right.

dreamers75 wrote: »
    I bet its to make more money for the shareholders...

... due to drop in ad revenue from ad blockers :p

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

I'm a little confused on the situation, as I'm only seeing this for the first time.
    But is Youtube Red essentially Youtube but we can't use AdBlock ?

If that's the case, and I didn't care about Ads, wouldn't I just go to the normal Youtube site and disable AdBlock ?

Or the content will be completely seperate (someone would reupload it though)

SeantheMan wrote: »
    I'm a little confused on the situation, as I'm only seeing this for the first time.

If that's the case, and I didn't care about Ads, wouldn't I just go to the normal Youtube site and disable AdBlock ?

No it wont have ads and if it does adblock will block them........

Its a YT subbie service that costs 7 quid a month for premium YT videos ie pewpewpie etc:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

There will be youtube sans ads (red, subscription based) and youtube with ads (free).

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

SeantheMan wrote: »

On YouTube red there are no ads and there'll be exclusive content on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

Are people really gonna pay a monthly subscription ?

Does anyone here rate any channels/youtuber or content so highly that you would be inclined to pay for their content ?
    7 quid a month ? Ridiculous price.

No way I would ever be paying money towards it, I like some channels and watch the occasional video, maybe gametrailers, or watchmojo .....but definitely none of the Gaming youtubers (especially that Irish guy...how is he popular...all he does is scream into the mic with an exaggerated accent)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

yay youtube is free for a decade....wait now i gotta pay?? yeah no thanks. Red will fail miserably, much like youtube gaming.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭BizzyC

Yeah, this wont work....

If I was a likes of pewdiepie now, I'd just move my videos over to another platform, or host them on my own webpage to stop youtube from making the money off them.

If people would be willing to pay 7 quid a month for my content, they'll be willing to watch them for free on another website that I can actually make all the money on.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,295 ✭✭✭Iseedeadpixels

Some youtube alternative is sitting there waiting to pounce.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Do people not realise that YouTube will still operate the way it used to. Red is optional and if you pay for it you get exclusive content and don't have ads. If you don't pay you still get bog standard YouTube.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Do people not realise that YouTube will still operate the way it used to. Red is optional and if you pay for it you get exclusive content and don't have ads. If you don't pay you still get bog standard YouTube.

I've never saw an ad on youtube ever because of adblock. It's because of the amount of people with adblock that they are trying to charge for it now.

Eventually it will be a payed for only service or the site won't work with adblock enabled model.

They are even offering downloads for the payed service. I have been downloading youtube vidoes for free for years now. It's easy to convert files into FLAC for music.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

I'm already paying for Google Play Music sub which will also cater for YouTube Red which is handy. Who knows when it will be available in Ireland though.
    But, ads on Youtube dont really bother me as I'm used to skipping them after the 5 seconds.

Epic Name Bro was talking about YT Red coming up and he doesnt seem happy with it at all. Was mentioning that he might move to Twitch or at least post his vids to both YT and Twitch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

It's not bog standard though. The sons of bitches have been steadily and stealthily ramping up the ads on it for the last couple of years in advance of 'Red' (what a sh1t name).

Youtube is a pain in the hole now.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement