Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gaming News

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

I've never saw an ad on youtube ever because of adblock. It's because of the amount of people with adblock that they are trying to charge for it now.

Eventually it will be a payed for only service or the site won't work with adblock enabled model.

They are even offering downloads for the payed service. I have been downloading youtube vidoes for free for years now. It's easy to convert files into FLAC for music.

I'd be astonished if Google moved to a pay only platform for a service, it's really unlike them.

If you have a Google Play sub then you'll get Youtube Red too.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

Epic Name Bro was talking about YT Red coming up and he doesnt seem happy with it at all. Was mentioning that he might move to Twitch or at least post his vids to both YT and Twitch.

There has been a huge migration of gaming youtubers to twitch, decreasing payouts per views and increased crackdown from copyright holders on the use of music etc has made it harder and harder to make a living out of it.

there has been lots of suggestions on how to get around adblock, having the ad hardcoded into the video itself, product sponsorship of the youtube personality etc. but its definitely harder for the little guy to make his mark.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

You can't post a video to twitch, you can only do a live recording and temporarily have it there for playback.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

You can't post a video to twitch, you can only do a live recording and temporarily have it there for playback.

Twitch have plans to change that to compete with YouTube.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Twitch have plans to change that to compete with YouTube.

And it wont work unless they deal with their copyright situation.

Twitch is live video. Youtube is archived video. Go onto any archived broadcast video on twitch and 95% of it is automatically muted because of "copyrighted music" claims. Until they deal with that, they wont be able to compete.

Twitch has live gaming working well but there is a reason why most of the streamers upload their VODS to youtube.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

if youtube red was extended that you could watch movies etc like netflix it could possibly compete, but at the moment you can still only rent movies on youtube.

As for blaming adblock

no

I think it's only sinking in that advertising online either doesnt have the same effect as advertising on television

or

that we've overstated the effect of advertising

Google has been struggling with the issue that they've yet to produce with advertising the same sort of goldrush as you'd see from a superbowl ad

things like adblock just compound it more.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Pootis

Guys seriously, YouTube Red is a paid subscription. YouTube will remain free and people who want to opt in to YouTube red can subscribe if they want to.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,773 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

dreamers75 wrote: »
    So a kabilllion dollar company created a subscription service (which has been rumoured since before Adblock became a thing) to counter adblock?

No offence if anyone actually believes that adblock could have an affect on Google they are not aware of Googles size.

This was going to happen and pewdiepie (lol pewpewpie didnt notice that) is shilling.

You don't think adblock has any effect on Google, who operate AdSense and AdWords, the platform on which most of the ads on the internet are provided?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

I'm already paying for Google Play Music sub which will also cater for YouTube Red which is handy. Who knows when it will be available in Ireland though.
    But, ads on Youtube dont really bother me as I'm used to skipping them after the 5 seconds.

Epic Name Bro was talking about YT Red coming up and he doesnt seem happy with it at all. Was mentioning that he might move to Twitch or at least post his vids to both YT and Twitch.

its cos content creators end up with less if yuou work it out bar the top dawgs

• Registered Users Posts: 5,576 ✭✭✭EoinHef

Advertisers have only themselves to blame,Adblock became essential because of Ad spam and potentially malicious ads.

We all know not to click anywhere near an ad that looks anyway dodgy,who knows where it could bring you and what damage you could do to your PC/device. Or for that matter your wallet,if its a nasty keylogger or such.

Absolutely zero curation of these bulls**t ads gave rise to blockers. Until ads are safer,more curated i will be sticking to using adblockers and im sure most others will to.

To be clear,i dont mean youtube has these ads but people tend to not bother making exceptions for infividual sites in what ever software there using to block ads. So even sites that curate are punished. Probably unfairly imo.

Could google not throw up a message that states you cannot watch this youtube video with adblock enabled at the start of videos? 4oD can manage it so surely a company like google can.

Its just a way of makimg more money for google imo,and that cant be too surprising to people,there a business at the end of the day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

EoinHef wrote: »
    Advertisers have only themselves to blame,Adblock became essential because of Ad spam and potentially malicious ads.

We all know not to click anywhere near an ad that looks anyway dodgy,who knows where it could bring you and what damage you could do to your PC/device. Or for that matter your wallet,if its a nasty keylogger or such.

Absolutely zero curation of these bulls**t ads gave rise to blockers. Until ads are safer,more curated i will be sticking to using adblockers and im sure most others will to.

To be clear,i dont mean youtube has these ads but people tend to not bother making exceptions for infividual sites in what ever software there using to block ads. So even sites that curate are punished. Probably unfairly imo.

Could google not throw up a message that states you cannot watch this youtube video with adblock enabled at the start of videos? 4oD can manage it so surely a company like google can.

Its just a way of makimg more money for google imo,and that cant be too surprising to people,there a business at the end of the day.

I would use the word unobtrusive, I dont want to see ads all over my browser and use adblock for that reason. Your spot on with the method in the madness tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

I wish youtube move to pay only service.

Then start up your own free version and $$$$$$$

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭strelok

Taylor365 wrote: »
    I wish youtube move to pay only service.

Then start up your own free version and $$$$$$$

if there was that much $$$$$ to be made why do you think youtube would want to move to a pay only service

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

strelok wrote: »
    if there was that much $$$$$ to be made why do you think youtube would want to move to a pay only service
    Because people will actually pay for it.

Same service for free would see masses flock.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

Taylor365 wrote: »
    Because people will actually pay for it.

Same service for free would see masses flock.

Why would Google shut down the free version then?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Looks like Epic are working on something new, a MOBA perhaps? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Are people trying to kill the industry? Or leave it to massive companies like EA to totally monopolize the market, no indie or small dev will make a worthwhile amount of money if their software can be resold

*Not in the lynch EA mob, they were the first company I thought of

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

I don't think reselling licenses would hurt the industry so much as long as it's contained to players and not mortised by retailers... either steam or grey market key sellers. The money the player makes back from selling the game on is just going to be used to buy more games, probably. Either more of the same or something different if they didn't like it. It's empowering and I'd hope a good indie game would stand on its own.

I honestly don't see this happening at all, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,539 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Some of the points are good, Valve are generally good for account retrieval but generally if someone still find themselves unable to get their account back it's probably their own fault.

Don't think anything will changed, valve will change their terms to suit themselves we'll all click I agree and that will be that.

• Advertisement

Do disc based PC games not come with license keys anymore or something ? Not sure how they can claim people are free to resell their disc based games :confused:

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Do disc based PC games not come with license keys anymore or something ? Not sure how they can claim people are free to resell their disc based games :confused:

They'd be talking about console games.

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭gazzamc

They don't come with a physical discs any more (and if it does it's only a fraction of the game data) just a steam key. I've heard the fallout 4 disc only comes with a steam installer and key.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,539 ✭✭✭✭Varik

They'd be talking about console games.

The French spokesman wasn't he's just old.

Varik wrote: »
    The French spokesman wasn't he's just old.

6A9eglS.gif

Gamestop announced as publisher of Insomniacs next title http://fortune.com/2016/01/28/gamestop-insomniac-partner-on-game/

Looking to muscle in on the digital market , which makes sense.

Intel forces ASRock to remove a feature that allowed non-K mobos to be overclocked

http://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/asrock-killed-overclocking-intel-skylake-nonk/

Intel forces ASRock to remove a feature that allowed non-K mobos to be overclocked

http://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/asrock-killed-overclocking-intel-skylake-nonk/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭RoyalMarine

I don't own one of these motherboards, but being honest, I've never once updated firmware on any motherboard i've owned.

Since Asrock removed the feature via a firmware update, this means that anyone who has one of these boards can still do it.

Since this is such a gain in performance, would prices for these boards go up much?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

https://twitter.com/GameTrailers/status/696858020215586816

They only found out a few hours earlier today that it was being shut down.

Pretty gutted with that news as I really liked the staff and content they were producing. GT Time probably was my favourite gaming podcast.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement