Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gaming News

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

I don't think they ever charged for their site.

It used to be a site regarding trailers. Than youtube came along and burst that bubble. Viacom (Owners of GT) had a lawsuit with youtube which went on for a while and by the time it was resolved it sold it to Defy who went off and cut the majority of staff leaving essentially a skeleton crew there.

It was only around then that they started putting content on youtube (since they were no longer with Viacom) as well but it was too late by then because as you said their video player was awful for a lot of people

I'm sure someone else has a better idea but I think that's the gist of it. They weren't really given the time to adapt with all the significant changes that was happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

I distinctly remember their player being awful so I tried to load it as HTML5 video which is always better... but they charged money for it... you needed some kind of account or subscription.

Like I said though maybe I'm mistaking that for some other site. Someone definitely tried that.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

tok9 wrote: »
    I don't think they ever charged for their site.

It used to be a site regarding trailers. Than youtube came along and burst that bubble. Viacom (Owners of GT) had a lawsuit with youtube which went on for a while and by the time it was resolved it sold it to Defy who went off and cut the majority of staff leaving essentially a skeleton crew there.

It was only around then that they started putting content on youtube (since they were no longer with Viacom) as well but it was too late by then because as you said their video player was awful for a lot of people

I'm sure someone else has a better idea but I think that's the gist of it. They weren't really given the time to adapt with all the significant changes that was happening.
    Pretty much this. There were two rounds of layoffs after Defy took over, the first was back in 2014 when they let go of around 2/3 of the staff the day after E3, classy. Then in January last year they were hit by more layoffs as part of a larger restructuring of the parent companies sites. Those events, coupled with the costs of producing such a large amount of video content and the difficulty in generating revenue from your viewers is more than likely to blame for the closure. Jim Sterling wrote about it a few days ago and has some more information on the goings on within the company.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Holy crap that's amazing. Hopefully we get Battlezone 2 as well...that was one hell of a game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,942 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Brilliant news!

• Registered Users Posts: 29,842 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Fake or Fact???? Skate 4 released this summer would be class! Pic taken from aussie store jb wifi but taken down very quickly.

Skate.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 17,942 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

There was a Skate 3?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,190 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

Thargor wrote: »
    There was a Skate 3?
    Yup, a year after Skate 2 (2010).

I'd love a new Skate. It's been so long...

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Warren Spector has joined the team making System Shock 3. The thoughts of something like System Shock 2 in a modern engine is damn appealing :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Kiith wrote: »
    Warren Spector has joined the team making System Shock 3. The thoughts of something like System Shock 2 in a modern engine is damn appealing :)

Can't wait to see what CD PR do with Cyberpunk 2077 in the mean time while waiting for System Shock 3, it's great to see Warren Spector on board.

It would be nice too if he had some say in Mankind Divided but alas.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭strelok

they'd want to hurry up and release all those dlc's so I can pick up the goty edition for 75% off asap

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭Benzino

An interesting looking game is on Kickstarter, called Need to Know. I haven't gotten around to playing Papers Please, but seems to be a similar vain. Looks very interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,842 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

I have no interest in either soccer or PES but Konami have left Ireland out of the upcoming EURO 16 DLC addon. Konami really just don't give a **** anymore.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2016-02-22-pes-2016s-euro-2016-dlc-out-next-month
    Just 15 of the 24 qualified Euro 2016 teams are licensed. They are: England, Wales, Germany, Spain, Portugal, Italy, Ukraine, Czech Republic, Croatia, Slovakia, Iceland, Turkey, Albania, Northern Ireland and hosts France.

That means no licenses for Romania, Switzerland, Russia, Poland, Belgium, Republic of Ireland, Sweden, Austria or Hungary.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

That's just embarrassing.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,539 ✭✭✭✭Varik

FAI probably asked for more than our market was worth to them.

Didn't EA have the same problem with their Euro 2012 content?
    "The national teams in Euro 2012 are a combination of teams officially licensed or covered by our FIFPro license, and generic teams. While we would like to have every national team officially licensed, of the 53 national teams in the game, 29 are licensed. The remaining ones are generic.

"The inclusion of national teams is negotiated between EA and each national football association, which we need to license individually. Licensing teams and leagues is a business decision based on market size and limited resources, and within these parameters, we were not able to negotiate an agreement with every football association to have their national team included within the game."

Nearly half of FIFA Euro 2012 DLC teams are unlicensed.

Looks like Fable Legends is cancelled along with the closure of both Lionhead and Press Play.

Changes at Microsoft Studios, UK and Denmark

gizmo wrote: »
    Looks like Fable Legends is cancelled along with the closure of both Lionhead and Press Play.

Changes at Microsoft Studios, UK and Denmark

Must have decided to pull the plug over the weekend, only got an email last week with server times and dates for next round of the beta for legends. I wouldn't have played it anyway, it was terrible.

Some of the decisions Lionshead have made with Fable have not been good, they would have had a reasonably good seller in Fable 4 but opted to do a moba and before that a kinect title :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

yeah I got the same email and again forgot about it as I have the betas for Dreadnought and Kingdom Come: Deliverance currently installed and the Paragon Beta starting next week

Must have decided to pull the plug over the weekend, only got an email last week with server times and dates for next round of the beta for legends. I wouldn't have played it anyway, it was terrible.

Some of the decisions Lionshead have made with Fable have not been good, they would have had a reasonably good seller in Fable 4 but opted to do a moba and before that a kinect title :confused:
    I'd strongly wager many of those decisions came from MS rather than internally though.

gizmo wrote: »
    I'd strongly wager many of those decisions came from MS rather than internally though.

Almost certainly the decision to make the kinect game.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

They just needed make one more black and white title for pc. Pc gamers would eat it up like pan cakes.

They just needed make one more black and white title for pc. Pc gamers would eat it up like pan cakes.

You know that, I know that, and the dog in the street knows that but seems they didn't get the memo :D

A sequel to a ten year old game which fared worse both critically and commercially compared to its predecessor, took three and a half years to develop, whose design was led by two people who no longer work at the studio, whose IP ownership is "spotty" according to their studio head and which would only really work on a platform that could not only not justify the development costs but also isn't particularly high on the studio owners list of priorities?

I'm not quite sure that was what was needed to save them, guys. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 10,743 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

the minute they joined EA they sealed their fate in my humble opinion, it is sad to see what ea are doing to them, loved the crap out of all their old stuff! even mass effect 1-3 where pretty good

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

I have a feeling EA are doing the same to DICE and Viceral. Look what happened Dead Space 3 and I'm getting worried about the new Mirror's Edge. The Dead Space IP is dead because of EA, they forced the change in play style and stuffed in micro transactions.

I know people complain about Ubi releasing broken games but I feel EA are still damaging very good IPs. They need to take a step back.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

Interesting article on the Guardian website from a former games developer. Nothing particularly revelatory but helps explain why defection from the games industry is so common.

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2016/mar/07/secret-life-games-programmer

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement