Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gaming News

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Arcadeheroes

I also never heard of the term "deadnaming" till just now but its near impossible to try to keep up with all these new terms people come up with on the internet.
    I really despise twitter though as its just a playground for people to bully others.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,539 ✭✭✭✭Varik

People bitched at Bioware for ME Andromeda over it and the had to change it. It was for a random npc you meet once in the first settlement.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,588 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I do get why trans folk would find it upsetting, it seems a very pointed action to demean someone. Hadn't known it was a thing that even had a term, but hey, learning is fun. And Swerys initial tweet sounded like he was genuinely apologetic for upsetting; reads like a simple case of "second language" problems, especially as he apparently already had a pro-trans message in his script.

Much ado about nothing really.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

Can never please those types. His only actual mistake was apologising and changing anything.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,458 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

pixelburp wrote: »
    I do get why trans folk would find it upsetting, it seems a very pointed action to demean someone. Hadn't known it was a thing that even had a term, but hey, learning is fun. And Swerys initial tweet sounded like he was genuinely apologetic for upsetting; reads like a simple case of "second language" problems, especially as he apparently already had a pro-trans message in his script.

Much ado about nothing really.

There’s a little extra context as well that Swery’s last game The Missing has received some notable praise for the way it handles transgender themes. I think there’s some extra disappointment among some that DP2 was initially clunky and careless in its language / general approach given Swery’s own record. To be fair DP2 in general just seems clunky and careless.

But again lots of this stuff gets caught up in culture war guff. I’m sure Swery has received some unwarranted abuse, just as I’m sure some of those defending poor innocent Swery’s honour were the same ones hurling abuse at Neil Druckmann for months on end. So it goes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Can never please those types. His only actual mistake was apologising and changing anything.

Who exactly are "those types"?

Perpetually offended freaks that live and thrive on social media, especially twitter.

Relavant video that touches on the Swery thing.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,458 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Perpetually offended freaks that live and thrive on social media

TheQuartering?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,588 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I see no offence. Author with good intent made a slip up on the relevant subject, has it pointed out and so rectifies the mistake as it wasn't his original intention to upset those he was championing. Some still rattle their chains on social media but dig long enough in the muck and you'll find bias. Snarking that Swery should have kept the mistake out of some weird authorial stubbornness is asinine contrarianism. It's clear he didn't want to "deadman", and who would. It's a pretty díck move to intentionally misname someone regardless of, trigger warning, "politics"

• Registered Users Posts: 29,842 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Never heard of deadname before and now saw it twice in one day, the 2nd being this faq for Don't Nod's new game Tell Me Why. Story sounds interesting and I'd love to play it in the hopes it would be better than life is strange 2 but looks like it's just pc and xbox.

https://twitter.com/TellMeWhyGame/status/1286375743640010753?s=19

• Advertisement

Snarking that Swery should have kept the mistake out of some weird authorial stubbornness is asinine contrarianism.

Everyone who apologises to the twitter hate mob never receive forgiveness because they've got none to give. It's blood in the water to these sharks. You can think it's asinine all you want but if your advice to Swery or anyone else is yes, apologies to twitter for LGB+ comments, then lord have mercy on anyone who heeds it. It certainly didn't work for Swery who is practically blacklisted by these types now.

Everyone who apologises to the twitter hate mob never receive forgiveness because they've got none to give.

A genuine, earnest apology for a misstep can be received with acceptance and forgiveness. We saw this just this week in relation to the actor John Connors, who got caught up in a bad-faith smear campaign against Children's Minister Roderic O'Gorman and receive a tonne of social media flak for it. Connors gave what I'd personally call a beautiful, heartfelt apology - someone who'd clearly recognised the hurt he was causing and the true motives of the people he got caught up with. His apology was widely accepted, even by the man who has spent the last few weeks subject to some very ugly harassment:

https://twitter.com/rodericogorman/status/1285127071082123272?s=20

Everyone who apologises to the twitter hate mob never receive forgiveness because they've got none to give. It's blood in the water to these sharks. You can think it's asinine all you want but if your advice to Swery or anyone else is yes, apologies to twitter for LGB+ comments, then lord have mercy on anyone who heeds it. It certainly didn't work for Swery who is practically blacklisted by these types now.

Never apologise for a mistake made in earnest? What a class act you are. Admitting and fixing an honest mistake is a classier move than being belligerently stubborn out of a misplaced belief contrition is weakness.

You seem to wilfully ignore the minor point how Swery has repeatedly told positive trans stories now, and seemed genuinely upset this particular game used negative phrasing BY ACCIDENT. Which he remedied. That probably doesn't fit with your bias to frame everything as a slathering mob bullying an innocent of course.

Twitter assholes prove nothing when the majority reporting of this has been "nice move Swery".

Nice move Swery, guy seems a good egg.

In actual news, and for those gagging for a new RTS to come into the world after C&C remastered, "iron harvest" is entering open beta. Looks like it's very heavily influenced by Company of Heroes in terms of mechanics and for an indie games looks really slick IMO:

Twitter assholes prove nothing when the majority reporting of this has been "nice move Swery".

Twitter assholes are the cause of this. And "Nice move" doesn't really help because that's generally a sentiment sane people have - not the kind who tweeted or wrote hitpieces about him. It means naught if he's still blacklisted because of it and the original tweet I posted about this proves it. He's confused because people still aren't happy. They never will be. The kind of people sending him messages and writing negative pieces on him do not represent trans. They weren't voted in or have any authority. It's twitter goblins obsessed with identity politics and cancel culture. He was a fool to listen to them he learned that the hard way. And he'd do it all over again taking your shyte advice.
    Admitting and fixing an honest mistake is a classier move than being belligerently stubborn out of a misplaced belief contrition is weakness.
    Yeah it's so classy to apologies to irrelevant twitter mobs. :rolleyes:
    Never apologise for a mistake made in earnest?
    And who declared it a mistake? Not him until twitter users who act as if they represent the entire trans opinion. He was simply adjusting to what he naively thought was dominant opinion when in fact it's a minority of people who live in social media.
    and seemed genuinely upset this particular game used negative phrasing BY ACCIDENT
    Using the person's old name in reference to them during that time is not a big deal or even a mistake - he was simply convinced it was.
    gagging for a new RTS to come into the world

It shows consoles on the release list. Do RTS even do well on console? Can't imagine it being easy with a controller.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

A genuine, earnest apology for a misstep can be received with acceptance and forgiveness.

Connors apologised and retracted his statements because he would have had the arse sued off him otherwise

Never, ever, apologise to the loons, its a public admission of guilt to them. They will try to ruin your life because they want to make an example of you for anyone else who dares not to toe their loony line.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,367 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

In actual news, and for those gagging for a new RTS to come into the world after C&C remastered, "iron harvest" is entering open beta. Looks like it's very heavily influenced by Company of Heroes in terms of mechanics and for an indie games looks really slick IMO:

Gameplay looks great, i'm just not a huge fan of the Steampunk aesthetic for some reason

Vicxas wrote: »
    Gameplay looks great, i'm just not a huge fan of the Steampunk aesthetic for some reason

The mechs are clearly ludicrous, impractical designs so they're quite outlandish given the rest of the tone seems to play this alternate central Europe setting quite seriously. But as you said the gameplay looks pretty solid so for that CoH style RTS approach I'm onboard. And RTS games of that mould are few & far between in the first place.

• pixelburp wrote: »

Does it have a campaign?

• Advertisement

Does it have a campaign?

According to the blurb, yes; https://store.steampowered.com/app/826630/Iron_Harvest/

• Moderators Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭Azza

Big fan of Company Of Heroes.

Absolutely fantastic gameplay though it should really be referred to as RTT real time tactics game. So if it plays similar to that I'll give it a shot.

The animations don't like quite as polished as COH particularly for the infantry but the number of units and the scale of environmental destruction look bigger.

I like the look of the units aesthetically, its different from most other RTS games.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

Iron Storm crossed with Earth 2150? (Which I would love an updated version of :( )

Azza wrote: »
    Big fan of Company Of Heroes.

Absolutely fantastic gameplay though it should really be referred to as RTT real time tactics game. So if it plays similar to that I'll give it a shot.

The animations don't like quite as polished as COH particularly for the infantry but the number of units and the scale of environmental destruction look bigger.

I like the look of the units aesthetically, its different from most other RTS games.

True, I suppose it had enough in keeping with the traditional strat games' mechanics (base building, resource types to "mine" etc) that it gets swept up into the genre as a whole. But as you say it put a lot more emphasis on battlefield tactics; found it more balanced and engaging than the purer tactics based games like World in Conflict.

Call of Duty is something I've tuned out to so much, it's just gaming white noise at this stage, alongside Assassin's Crees games and the like. Does CoD sell that strongly these days, feels like its market should be tapped out by now, no? Or is the brand simply that robust the sales remain solid (micro transactions notwithstanding)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,367 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Call of Duty is something I've tuned out to so much, it's just gaming white noise at this stage, alongside Assassin's Crees games and the like. Does CoD sell that strongly these days, feels like its market should be tapped out by now, no? Or is the brand simply that robust the sales remain solid (micro transactions notwithstanding)

Game is still going strong as its very easy to pick up and play with very little time needed to invest in casually.

If i have an hour to spare or the kids are napping i'll stick on COD for a few games.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,743 ✭✭✭✭Penn

In the same way Fifa/Madden sells every year. I think when you play the game as much as some people do over the course of a year, minor changes, new maps etc make the next game feels fresh as ever, whereas from the outside looking in it just seems like a reskinned version of the previous games.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

Modern Warfare is a real return to form, no wallrunning or any of that cyborg sh1te. Battlepass introduced instead of season pass and its quite easy to complete. Warzone is also a polished take on battle royal, with the emphasis on gunfights rather than stealthing your way to the end. A common request on reddit is for Activision to skip this years annual cod and continue support for MW, which is a fair testament to its popularity. It no doubt benefited from dropping for free during the global lockdown and provided a welcome social point for plenty of people due to the ease of its crossplatform play and progression.

so yeah, they knocked it out of the park on that one and gave pretty much everyone the game they wanted.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement