Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gaming News

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

CoD Warzone (their F2P Battle Royale game) is my most played game of the last 2-3 months, I love it :) It has Microtransactions, but it's most definitely not pay to win.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,046 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I'm the opposite. I've been a day 1 for every CoD since the first MW, but once they released Warzone this year I feel like they've just given up on the standard MP. Understandable from a financial viewpoint, I think Warzone is making 2 million a day or something like that. I've no interest in BR games as I find unless you play it constantly you're at a major disadvantage.

And unlike others, I want the next Advanced/Infinite Warfare. They're in my top 3 with MW2, and i much preferred them. I've zero interest in another WW/Cold War era one, it'll just feel like all the others, which I'm bored of. First CoD I won't be buying.

Saying that, i could cave if they release on the PS5, just so I can play a next gen version.

• Moderators Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭Azza

pixelburp wrote: »
    True, I suppose it had enough in keeping with the traditional strat games' mechanics (base building, resource types to "mine" etc) that it gets swept up into the genre as a whole. But as you say it put a lot more emphasis on battlefield tactics; found it more balanced and engaging than the purer tactics based games like World in Conflict.

Yeah its all time classic and its gameplay and graphics really have held up well since 2006.

As a single player RTS game it had a decent story with good production values and its graphics where excellent for its time (they still hold up well) but I don't think it was single player is where the game shined. I only completed the campaign once and never really felt compelled to go through it a second time.. Many of the missions you had infinite reinforcements so even on hard the game wasn't that challenging.

Its multiplayer though OMG, its just exceptionally good. Not so much in terms of balance but in depths of gameplay. The way you can cut off enemy supply lines, the need to use cover, to flank weapons like machine guns and anti tank guns, the destructible nature of the environment over time which opens up new paths to attack the enemy from. The emphasis on combined arms etc etc.

Even taking the most basic infantry for each side, it wasn't just a case of one unit being better than, you had to know how to use the units. The German unit was slightly better at long range, at mid range the two units where evenly matched and the American unit was a lot better at close range. If you moving while attacking your accuracy gets reduced by 50%. So if your an American player and the fight between the unit starts at max range you have to make a decision, you know you will lose at long range but charging straight at the enemy unit with the accuracy penalty will likely see you taking too much damage that your advantage at close range fighting will no longer matter when you get there. Can you advance with cover so the enemy can't inflict enough damage while you close up. Do you stay and fight at long range knowing you will eventually lose but you want to fix that enemy unit in place so another unit can close up with out taking fire. And that's just one example of many.

COH 2 was unquestionably a poorer single player game but the quality of life improvements to the UI and the inclusion of true sight meant it was an even better multiplayer game than the first at least after a few months of updates anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,842 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Cuphead spotted on PS4, hope this is legit!

https://twitter.com/Subzero1313/status/1287909227361636353?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭chalkitdown1

TheQuartering?

It appears he's now gone from Twitter. Banned or deleted his account, I dunno which.

Where willl I go for my racism & mysogony now? :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,743 ✭✭✭✭Penn

It appears he's now gone from Twitter. Banned or deleted his account, I dunno which.

And nothing of value was lost...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭chalkitdown1

Penn wrote: »
    And nothing of value was lost...

Still active on Youtube unfortunately, which is his main platform.

I just noticed he has 70+ videos 'covering' The Last Of Us Part 2, a game which he has not played. :pac: There is something seriously rotten in this man's brain.

I just noticed he has 70+ videos 'covering' The Last Of Us Part 2, a game which he has not played. :pac: There is something seriously rotten in this man's brain.

Reminds me of those people who do fifteen hour videos to complain about one Star Wars film.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,458 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

A quote from the man himself about why he was deleting his twitter account:

"Twitter is a cesspool. It rewards the active erosion of discourse. It creates dark, hateful humans."

I think that TheQuartering said that without realising the irony is one of the most amusing things I've read recently.

A quote from the man himself about why he was deleting his twitter account:

"Twitter is a cesspool. It rewards the active erosion of discourse. It creates dark, hateful humans."

I think that TheQuartering said that without realising the irony is one of the most amusing things I've read recently.

I'm guessing there was a second tweet after that:

"But at least on Youtube I can earn money from it"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,576 ✭✭✭EoinHef

Reminds me of those people who do fifteen hour videos to complain about one Star Wars film.

Saw a 4hr 41min minute video on YouTube the other day titled "Everything wrong with Rise of Skywalker"....like wtf?

I thought the movie was pretty awful but I left it at that,why someone would be compelled to take nealy 5 hrs to get their points accross is crazy,like literally must be bordering on obsession and being certifiable. Ugh,can imagine the literal frame by frame analysis with loud mouth breathing in the background and a real nasal voice:pac:

EoinHef wrote: »
    Saw a 4hr 41min minute video on YouTube the other day titled "Everything wrong with Rise of Skywalker"....like wtf?

I thought the movie was pretty awful but I left it at that,why someone would be compelled to take nealy 5 hrs to get their points accross is crazy,like literally must be bordering on obsession and being certifiable. Ugh,can imagine the literal frame by frame analysis with loud mouth breathing in the background and a real nasal voice:pac:

A work colleague sent me a video about The Last Jedi being awful, he was annoyed I liked it. The video was 4 hours long but the guy had 4 more videos to go with it...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,588 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Unfortunately the internet has become a perversion of its original high minded intention, algorithms and bunkered fandom turning it into a den of negativity. Jim sterling was one commentator who noted that his negatively slanted rants gain leagues more views that positive stuff. Seems social media likes to wallow.

As to the Quartering, nothing lost. Obviously a deeply cynical man monetising outrage, the irony lost on his adherents. Wonder what his friends and family think of what he does, he just seems akin to Alex Jones and Fox commentators, stirring the pot for its own sake.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,458 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

The funny thing to me is that a bad review is infinitely more effective when you know someone generally has a deep love and respect for the medium. Mark Kermode's pans are infinitely more impactful because of his effusive enthusiasm most of the time.

It's the sheer one-note nature of the YouTube outrage machine that is most boring. I mean, the fact that a lot of these guys are just peddling varying degrees of thinly-veiled misogyny is undeniable. But it's the sheer ****ing tedium of 15-minutes of outrage every video - often insanely repetitive (how many Captain Marvel videos can these people make) - that'd just bore me as a viewer within days :p

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,588 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Agreed on Kermode. His Sex and the City 2 review remains an absolute hilarious delight in exasperated condemnation ... ... but he's almost always otherwise an enthusiastic reviewer who'll give a film the benefit of the doubt if he can. He'll reach for the positives. Something these man children like Quartering don't get. Instead they invest emotional energy deconstructing in 4 hours why they didn't like a film about Space Wizards fighting with laser swords. Dudes need to chill out.

This is going way off topic but I've long since wondered if in a secular society, the part of the brain historically linked with religious fundamentalism is instead latching itself instead into pop culture iconography. Like, the anger and ferocity with which folk might defend their pop culture obsessions do border on religious fervour.

The funny thing to me is that a bad review is infinitely more effective when you know someone generally has a deep love and respect for the medium. Mark Kermode's pans are infinitely more impactful because of his effusive enthusiasm most of the time.

It's the sheer one-note nature of the YouTube outrage machine that is most boring. I mean, the fact that a lot of these guys are just peddling varying degrees of thinly-veiled misogyny is undeniable. But it's the sheer ****ing tedium of 15-minutes of outrage every video - often insanely repetitive (how many Captain Marvel videos can these people make) - that'd just bore me as a viewer within days :p

Also the YouTube takes invariably go off on weird rants about "sjw" crap. So half the reviewers issue is just because they want to go on alt-right styled rants etc. I miss that guy who did the serial killer analysis of the phantom menace. Those were the days. :D

Remember Donald Clarke gave a negative review of Deadpool, I disagreed with it but no biggy. He ended up having loons raving at him for days.

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭SharpCoder

Apex legends to get full Crossplay support after the release on Switch later this year.

Will only matchmake with PC users if you have a PC user on your team.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

SharpCoder wrote: »
    Apex legends to get full Crossplay support after the release on Switch later this year.

Will only matchmake with PC users if you have a PC user on your team.

thats a pity that they didnt look at implementing an input based system like warzone did.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Also the YouTube takes invariably go off on weird rants about "sjw" crap. So half the reviewers issue is just because they want to go on alt-right styled rants etc. I miss that guy who did the serial killer analysis of the phantom menace. Those were the days. :D

Remember Donald Clarke gave a negative review of Deadpool, I disagreed with it but no biggy. He ended up having loons raving at him for days.

The most ridiculous thing is they are all getting upset about mass consumed media. Wouldn't mind if they were discussing anything worthwhile but they are putting so much weight on what is essentially a kids film designed to be popcorn for your brain. It's like getting upset about the quality of a McChicken sandwich.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

thats a pity that they didnt look at implementing an input based system like warzone did.

No chance in hell if I was on console PAYING to play games online would I want to be matched against PC users in Warzone.

PUBG was bad for cheating but Warzone goes a whole level above it.

• Advertisement

Cuphead out on PS4 today. No sign of it on the site yet though.

https://twitter.com/PlayStationEU/status/1288131215384608770?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭DarC_Kn1ght

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    Cuphead out on PS4 today. No sign of it on the site yet though.

https://twitter.com/PlayStationEU/status/1288131215384608770?s=19

Its live now, just started downloading .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

A Japanese alternative to EVO gets some attention
    https://nichegamer.com/2020/07/28/japan-fighting-game-publishers-roundtable-premieres-july-31/

Since the quartering is being talked about again here's some news on his site being ripped off:

He's not the only person to leave twitter though. One of my favorite youtubers made a long video about its verification process. I think soon after the twitter hacks and leaks happened.

And ofc pewdiepie leaving got a lot of attention too

My twitter accounts kept getting autobanned even though I literally never posted anything and simply used it to follow or enter giveaways. So now I just use good ole bookmarks to keep up with a few people there and I was considering using RSS.

Its live now, just started downloading .

20 euro or 10.90 on Turkish psn. Skater XL out today as well. 40 euro or 22 on Turkish psn. God bless dem Turks.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,419 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

Free multiplayer this weekend. Well worth trying.

I played the multiplayer beta pre-launch, really enjoyed it. The game launched at €50 and is on sale this week for €30 on Xbox.

https://twitter.com/Disintegration/status/1288096872016551936?s=19

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Cuphead coming to PS4.

If you have been stuck with just a PS4 then definitely pick this game up.

Initially had my nose turned up to this game. A game that claimed to ape the old school contra and treasure games. Nonsense. Nobody has managed to get anywhere near the design and variety of those games.

Well I was wrong. They absolutely nailed it and it's one of my favourite games of all time.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,178 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    20 euro or 10.90 on Turkish psn. Skater XL out today as well. 40 euro or 22 on Turkish psn. God bless dem Turks.

SXL's gameplay looks good but everything else looks so lacking in soul and charm. It's all so empty, looks demo-ish.

If it has a good soundtrack it looks like it could be a good game to just chill with though.

J. Marston wrote: »
    SXL's gameplay looks good but everything else looks so lacking in soul and charm. It's all so empty, looks demo-ish.

If it has a good soundtrack it looks like it could be a good game to just chill with though.

Yeah, I'm on the verge of buying it, especially at the 22 price point but it does sound like you have to make your own fun. Devs said they will be adding to it, already included community mods into the console versions but it would be an instant purchase if it had comp style scoring or andt kind of story mode. Mad to try it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

J. Marston wrote: »

The clips I saw for it didn't inspire that's for sure, looked like a revamped Ps2 skaying game! The player models were bad, environments looked sharp and vivid but like you say ... empty and lifeless.

• Advertisement

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Cuphead coming to PS4.

If you have been stuck with just a PS4 then definitely pick this game up.

Initially had my nose turned up to this game. A game that claimed to ape the old school contra and treasure games. Nonsense. Nobody has managed to get anywhere near the design and variety of those games.

Well I was wrong. They absolutely nailed it and it's one of my favourite games of all time.

I'm starting to hate your recommendations. They make me feel bad and angry.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement