Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gaming News

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

The Dead Space IP is dead because of EA, they forced the change in play style and stuffed in micro transactions.

I didn't particularly mind Dead Space 3. I kind of saw it as the action packed Aliens to the other two's Alien - tbf, I didn't really find the others particularly scary anyway. As for the micro transactions thing - I never once noticed it in the game and I never used it. It had zero effect on the game for me. They only thing I bought was the Severed DLC (in a sale in the PS store) which was actually a lot more like the original 2 games and a genuinely interesting add on.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,577 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

I have a feeling EA are doing the same to DICE and Viceral. Look what happened Dead Space 3 and I'm getting worried about the new Mirror's Edge. The Dead Space IP is dead because of EA, they forced the change in play style and stuffed in micro transactions.

I know people complain about Ubi releasing broken games but I feel EA are still damaging very good IPs. They need to take a step back.

They won't do it to DICE I hope - BF is too much of a cash cow to them, sure they are only making ME2 as fan service I reckon as the original flopped....

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Fieldog wrote: »
    They won't do it to DICE I hope - BF is too much of a cash cow to them, sure they are only making ME2 as fan service I reckon as the original flopped....

The first ME was class, it just flopped because it wasn't an fps for all the casuals out there. Great concept.

You can see with ME2 they are expanding the world and adding some slight fps elements while staying true to it's roots.

I'd still put ME as one of my top generation 7 games, very underrated imo.

EA have already damaged DICE by forcing them to release a broken BF4 game early to compete with the latest CoD title during the q4 holiday season. The game needed months more work and spent about 9 months of getting patches to sort it out. That was pure EA greed kicking the game out the door before it was ready.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

I have a feeling EA are doing the same to DICE and Viceral. Look what happened Dead Space 3 and I'm getting worried about the new Mirror's Edge. The Dead Space IP is dead because of EA, they forced the change in play style and stuffed in micro transactions.

I know people complain about Ubi releasing broken games but I feel EA are still damaging very good IPs. They need to take a step back.
    You need to be wary of criticism like this to be honest. Dead Space suffered from a mix of changes some of which, from the outside, needed to happen for the franchise to continue while others were utterly unnecessary. We talked about this in the SS3 thread before, remember? :)

Dead Space aside, how much can you blame EA for Viscerals output though? Was it EA's fault that Dante's Inferno featured some uninspired and repetitive combat? Was it their fault the third Army of Two game was poor even by that particular franchises standards? While the existence of Battlefield Hardline is totally on EA, were the mixed reviews for the single player campaign which Visceral were responsible for their fault too? While project budgets and the associated effects they can have on staffing and development cycles are, in the vast majority of cases, on the publisher side of things, to just blindly blame EA for everything is a little reductive imo.

Similarly with Mirrors Edge, even as a massive fan of the first one, I couldn't expect ME2 to be "more of the same" since the first one sold so poorly. From the footage so far though, I'm finding the lack of gunplay from Faith and the idea of an open world where I can play with the movement mechanics as much as I want to be positive signs. If they need to inject more FPS elements into the game in order for the game to be greenlit in the first place and they manage to keep them entirely optional then it'll be a win win I reckon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

• Registered Users Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

Skerries wrote: »
    meh! car games

Funnily pretty meh games to

I'm not much of a racing game fan either but I still feel for the 60+ folks now out of a job, especially when it comes within weeks of another major developer closing in that part of the country.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

Kind of old news now but since I brought it up initially, the ex gametrailers guys started a Patreon earlier this week and things are looking good.

Not sure if I can link it so I'll leave that. They are called Easy Allies now and the first "GT Time" podcast is going up today for Patreons and ,like GT Time, Friday for everyone else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

There's a lot of rumours going around on Twitter atm about The Escapist being shut down.

https://twitter.com/dannyodwyer/status/714872264022368256

If true, I can't pretend to not have seen it coming, the site has been bleeding talent for a while now, and was basically on life support considering Zero Punctuation was the only draw.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Links234 wrote: »
    There's a lot of rumours going around on Twitter atm about The Escapist being shut down.

https://twitter.com/dannyodwyer/status/714872264022368256

If true, I can't pretend to not have seen it coming, the site has been bleeding talent for a while now, and was basically on life support considering Zero Punctuation was the only draw.

I don't think I can go without Zero Punctuation and Judging by the Cover.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,521 ✭✭✭joe123

the minute they joined EA they sealed their fate in my humble opinion, it is sad to see what ea are doing to them, loved the crap out of all their old stuff! even mass effect 1-3 where pretty good

Erm....Bioware were under the EA umbrella for both Mass Effect 2 and 3 so you kind of contradicted yourself there.

The latest Dragon Age did very well too in the review stakes. Personally I felt Mass Effect 1 and 2 were much better than what came after but just thought Id point out the whole EA killed Bioware/but I loved ME2 and 3 statement which are their two latest games behind the last Dragon Age.

Sonics2k wrote: »
    I don't think I can go without Zero Punctuation and Judging by the Cover.

I genuinely doubt Yahtzee is going to pack things in, the obvious course of action is to go the Jim Sterling route.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,743 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

joe123 wrote: »
    Erm....Bioware were under the EA umbrella for both Mass Effect 2 and 3 so you kind of contradicted yourself there.

The latest Dragon Age did very well too in the review stakes. Personally I felt Mass Effect 1 and 2 were much better than what came after but just thought Id point out the whole EA killed Bioware/but I loved ME2 and 3 statement which are their two latest games behind the last Dragon Age.

Dragonage inquisition was alright, it wasn't great, it's multiplayer was really subpar compared to ME3 and it's story was fairly meh.

Anyway, a year before the launch of me2 and 3 there was a crapload of news from bioware about it.
    They've been silent since the nov 7th and the "nothing to do with ME:Andromeda at all shepard goodbye video", string that out with their staff losses, including multiple lead writers over the last few months and it's looking grim with nothing coming over the radar about their new ME game at all. Not so much as a screenshot since june last year - which was the E3 announcement trailer

Say what ye like about EA and bioware, in any case that kind of non-news and staff losses is leaving the game open to loads of negative speculation. The odd thing is, the E3 video suggested the game would release Xmas this year (2016), again, that date has been pushed back to another vague release window, Q1 2017. Which is fair enough by itself, but again - a year before launch and key people who were writing for the game have left the company, some even left the industry - something's rotten in denmark :D

I know it's as good a conspiracy theory as anything else, but there's been nothing back from BW about the game or it's state bar the delay to the release.

This may not be for everyone here, but it's turned into quite the debate in the MMO community.

Blizzard recently shut down an illegal private server called Nostalrius running the Classic game, and they had also planned to open a Burning Crusade server early next year. As a note, the server was not actually making money, in fact the Developers of the site were largely paying for it out of their own pockets.

The reason this seems to be causing such a stir is not that a private server has been shut down, but that the community of it was absolutely massive, with 800,000 registered accounts and 150,000 people active on a weekly basis. This basically flies in the face of Blizzards claims that no-one is interested in playing the old game.

Since it was announced a number of major outlets have brought it up:
    PC Gamer
    Forbes
    ArsTechnica
    and dozens more.

Even the petition set up got 50,000 signatures in 48 hours.

At this point it's opened up massive discussions between the MMO community and people are still waiting for any official response from Blizzard.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

From what I read that server allowed you to pirate the game play on it?

Is that correct?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,576 ✭✭✭EoinHef

From what ive read it allowed you too play without the subscription,which directly takes money out of Blizzards pocket. Understandable they wouldnt want that IMO

• Advertisement

i'd read about that, hopefully blizzard learn from this, i've bought into all the expansions and been playing on and off since vanilla, i'd have had more interest in that private server than i do in their new expansion

dreamers75 wrote: »
    From what I read that server allowed you to pirate the game play on it?

Is that correct?
    EoinHef wrote: »
    From what ive read it allowed you too play without the subscription,which directly takes money out of Blizzards pocket. Understandable they wouldnt want that IMO

This is certainly the legality of the matter, yes.
    As it does infringe on copyright, Blizzard have absolutely every right to shut the server down.

The discussion going on though, largely on the "pro" Legacy server, has been that people want Official Legacy servers provided by Blizzard, and people like myself would happily pay for that.
    On some threads you are getting the "no" side simply arguing about the legality of private servers, which honestly has very little to do with the conversation going on.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

What is happening Nostalrius is highlighting the fact that quite a large chunk of the community believe that the golden age of the game was before the first expansion, it is not about playing the game for free, their are dozens of private servers for that, it is about players being able to play what they feel is the best incarnation of the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,106 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Is WoW the only game where you can't still play the original? I'm not a WoW player but is it a case of if you don't buy the expansions, you can't continue to play? I mean people complain about DLC or praise it if it's done correctly, but at least it's optional

• Registered Users Posts: 17,435 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Is WoW the only game where you can't still play the original? I'm not a WoW player but is it a case of if you don't buy the expansions, you can't continue to play? I mean people complain about DLC or praise it if it's done correctly, but at least it's optional

each expansion would bring patches and updates that would affect the normal game also.
    I'm a battlefield fan and you still get servers running BF2 v1.0 which is awesome especially for someone like me who loves flying the jets etc.

CastorTroy wrote: »

the original is gone, the cataclysm update changed the entire realm from what it was in vanilla to the new updated world, it looks and plays like an entirely different game.

The talent system in vanila is also a lot different, and imo it's way better than the system they have now, which is fairly much a non-functional, barely customizable system.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,315 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

The talent system in vanila is also a lot different, and imo it's way better than the system they have now, which is fairly much a non-functional, barely customizable system.
    This; I was playing to level 20 on a free account to unlock the Paladin character in Hearthstone and the new system sucks donkey balls. No need to buy spells, the "specialization" is boring at best etc. and honestly if anything made me less interested to play.

So, just for full disclosure. I myself was playing on Nostalrius after a friend recommended it to me.

I was very bored of the retail game having been un-subbed from it for several months, but decided to give it a try.

I have to say that in spite of the flaws of Classic game, it wasn't just a nostalgia trip for me. I really genuinely enjoyed playing it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

You cam say whatever you want about runescape, but they had enough sense to keep classic servers for those who enjoy it. That way they did not lost subs that did not liked updated versions of game. Easy and simple economics.
    Blizzard should learn from it.

I can't believe there were almost a million players playing it. I bet blizzard just sow it as lost revenue... In reality those players won't be playing normal wow anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭The Randy Riverbeast

There's quite a few pros and cons to having classic servers. It is a shame that the content becomes irrelevant once a new expansion is released with people just doing 1 or 2 zones of the old leveling content so they can move on to the next expansion.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement