Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gaming News

Options

Comments

quokula wrote: »
    That's blatantly untrue.

100% of PS4 games from the beginning of time work on PS4. (you'll probably retort that there may be some small number of online-only multiplayer games that have had their servers shut down, but that applies to PC games too of course)

100% of Gamecube games from the beginning of time work on Gamecube.

100% of Megadrive games from the beginning of time work on Megadrive.

Nowhere near 100% of PC games will work on any given PC.

Your false equivalence argument of pretending that it is reasonable to expect console games to work on entirely different consoles to the ones they were released for is nonsensical whattaboutery.

The latest big PC release right now, Microsoft Flight Simulator, has a 2.5 rating on the Xbox store and a "mixed" rating on steam at the moment, entirely due to the large numbers of people who can't even get a modern game to run on modern PCs that meet the game's minimum requirements without crashing, balancing out the reviews of people who can get in to what by all accounts is a great sim when it actually works.

That flight simulator release is an odd one, it's probably the first time I've seen major issues with a pc release since the last Batman game. I don't think I have a single game in my steam library that won't run on my machine tbh. Games that predate that eg from 90s generally will run. You've got things like GOG that also tend to prebuild emulation into older games too. Flight Simulator seems to be more a case of initial teething problems. Which also has happened on console releases. Eg Control had plenty of issues on older playstations.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,576 ✭✭✭EoinHef

God this "news" thread.....unfollow

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Yeah, that's enough of the general discussion. Move it to that thread if you want to continue (and i'll move posts later).

News from here on out.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Markitron

It looks like Microsoft have finally fixed the atrocious Xbox UI

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2020-08-19-heres-our-first-look-at-the-xbox-series-x-dashboard

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,456 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Kiith wrote: »
    Yeah, that's enough of the general discussion. Move it to that thread if you want to continue (and i'll move posts later).

News from here on out.

Follow up mod note: Those posts have now been moved to general discussion: https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057778794

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,539 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Markitron wrote: »

Now if they just fix the Xbox game bar on PC too. Even if they keep purchases in the MS store at least having installs and updates managed from the game bar would be good.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,919 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Bloodline 2's narrative lead Brian Mitsoda (who was head writer on the original game) and creative director Ka'ai Cluney have been fired. Mitsoda has no idea why he was sacked, according to RPS.

From the statement by Paradox;
    Lead Narrative Designer Brian Mitsoda and Creative Director Ka’ai Cluney are no longer part of the team at Hardsuit Labs. This was a joint decision made by the leadership of Hardsuit Labs and Paradox Interactive.

We appreciate, and value, the contributions of Brian and Ka’ai, which were instrumental in establishing the game's storyline and dark tone and have helped to ensure that we are making a true successor to the iconic Bloodlines. We wish them both the best in their future endeavors.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,842 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Oh man i wonder what happened. The narrative on bloodlines 2 should be more or less done at this is point anyway but still, not a good sign.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,919 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

It's an odd one alright. He says he was never given any reason to believe they were unhappy with his work, nor was the recently announced delay anything to do with problems with the narrative development.

Mr Crispy wrote: »
    It's an odd one alright. He says he was never given any reason to believe they were unhappy with his work, nor was the recently announced delay anything to do with problems with the narrative development.

Outright stating that two people have been fired in the current climate has all kinds of implications, if that is what it was they should probably be clear about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,740 ✭✭✭✭Penn

https://twitter.com/RocksteadyGames/status/1296132223612182531?s=20

The letter that was leaked to The Guardian was from 2018. When it was sent to the management at Rocksteady, they began implementing changes etc. Several of the women who originally signed the letter and still work at Rocksteady have apparantly come forward and said the letter was leaked without their consent and they no longer have the same issues.

Penn wrote: »
    https://twitter.com/RocksteadyGames/status/1296132223612182531?s=20

The letter that was leaked to The Guardian was from 2018. When it was sent to the management at Rocksteady, they began implementing changes etc. Several of the women who originally signed the letter and still work at Rocksteady have apparantly come forward and said the letter was leaked without their consent and they no longer have the same issues.

I don't think this is going to have the positive effect they think it will

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,583 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Outright stating that two people have been fired in the current climate has all kinds of implications, if that is what it was they should probably be clear about it.

Yeah, if the firing is simply because of "normal" reasons then it's an accidental(?) díck move by the studio IMO - because clearly given the nature of things ATM people's minds will wonder if the leaving is related to harassment.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

Hitman 3 exclusive to epic for one year, along with the VR being console exlusive (lol). To me this is basically delaying the game for a year. Might pick it up when they bundle all their DLCs and it's on discount.

Hitman 3 exclusive to epic for one year, along with the VR being console exlusive (lol). To me this is basically delaying the game for a year. Might pick it up when they bundle all their DLCs and it's on discount.

Pretty funny move when Epic are accusing someone else of having an unfair monopoly on a market.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Pretty funny move when Epic are accusing someone else of having an unfair monopoly on a market.

For Epic Monopolys are bad and consumers have less choice, unless the monopoly is theirs and consumers are tied to their platform.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    For Epic Monopolys are bad and consumers have less choice, unless the monopoly is theirs and consumers are tied to their platform.

Exactly. Apple are hardly an innocent company but Epic are massive hypocrites by playing the victim card

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I also won't forget them dropping PC like a hot snot during the PSWii60 generation and the **** they said about it and now they want a piece of it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,583 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

A bun fight between phenomenally wealthy corporations, weaponising gamer tribalism and their emotional hair triggers like it's it's a noble fight. What a time to be alive. What an absolute trashfire of a year.

Yeah. Eat the rich.

pixelburp wrote: »
    A bun fight between phenomenally wealthy corporations, weaponising gamer tribalism and their emotional hair triggers like it's it's a noble fight. What a time to be alive. What an absolute trashfire of a year.

Yeah. Eat the rich.

Nailed it. I could only laugh when I saw Geoff Keighley tweeting out the free fortnite hashtag, minutes after the news released in what could only have been a coordinated media blitz. This is some gamerz rise up-level nonsense.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,004 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

Crysis Remastered launching September 18th on PC (ray-tracing, 8K textures and more, EGS exclusive), Xbox One and PS4

https://twitter.com/Crysis/status/1296809535961735168?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 29,106 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Coming to our favourite platforms? Woohoo! I can finally get Crysis for the Amiga 600 to sit alongside Cannon Fodder.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,367 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Coming to our favourite platforms? Woohoo! I can finally get Crysis for the Amiga 600 to sit alongside Cannon Fodder.

Bet it'll look sweet on my Commodore 64

Wonder if they'll have a map on the bottom DS screen.

• Moderators Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭Azza

Can't wait for the Mega Drive port.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭McFly85

Another excellent game for my Spectrum collection!

dSMCFeh.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 29,106 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Will look great on the spectrum in 2 colours.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,539 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Apple vs epic judge not ruled on injunction yet but has said she in inclined to refuse to force apple to return fortnite or those developer's accounts but that since the unreal side is a seperate legal entity it didn't void terms.

Doesn't sound like she likes the legal games.
    . Your client created the situation. Your client doesn't come to this court with clean hands. Epic made a strategically and calculated move to breach, and decided to breach right before a new season. So in my view, you cannot have irreparable harm when you create a harm yourself.
    All Epic has to do is take it back to the status quo and no one suffers any harm. And you can have a trial date in the spring. Flip the switch to the way it was August 3rd and return everybody back to where they were.

Out of curiousity, asking as someone completely distant from the world of Fortnite: is there any sense its player-base have swallowed the Kool Aid wrt. Epic's attempt to manufacture a crusade? Don't get the impression many of this forum are within Fornite's demographic, nor have most outlets been hoodwinked by the tactic. So just wondering if it worked regardless. I saw at the weekend the game ran a competition in honour of this Good Fight, so been wondering since then ...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭The Raging Bile Duct

pixelburp wrote: »
    Out of curiousity, asking as someone completely distant from the world of Fortnite: is there any sense its player-base have swallowed the Kool Aid wrt. Epic's attempt to manufacture a crusade? Don't get the impression many of this forum are within Fornite's demographic, nor have most outlets been hoodwinked by the tactic. So just wondering if it worked regardless. I saw at the weekend the game ran a competition in honour of this Good Fight, so been wondering since then ...

I play it with my kids - one is 15 going on 16 and would know the score and be cynical about the motives of Epic and the other, 12, would have probably bought into it hook, line and sinker if she actually had a clue what the whole thing was about. I had to explain to her what the story was. But, yeah, I reckon their core demographic of tweens probably would back Epic in their 'crusade'. The marketing they've done in-game in relation to it is pretty underhanded imo but I will give a round of applause for the creative in Epic who came up with the parody ad which is a ripoff of Apple's original ad from the eighties based on Orwell's 1984.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement