Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gaming News

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭The Raging Bile Duct

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭blockfighter

As much as I don't like Apple, I hope they win this. Epic knew what they were doing. If they didn't like Apple's terms of service they shouldn't have signed up to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭HairySalmon

As much as I don't like Apple, I hope they win this. Epic knew what they were doing. If they didn't like Apple's terms of service they shouldn't have signed up to them.

It’s like expecting a shop to stock your product without any gain from their end, and playing the victim when they expect their cut.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Markitron

The fact that Epic are playing the underdog victim of Apple's evil monopoly whilst simultaneously trying to create their own monopoly is hilarious.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Markitron wrote: »
    The fact that Epic are playing the underdog victim of Apple's evil monopoly whilst simultaneously trying to create their own monopoly is hilarious.

And the fact that they are trying to win this battle by mobilizing an army of impressionable teenagers is sickening.

• Advertisement

Apple attempting to block Unreal Engine's access to software development tools for iOS which would have completely fooked over a load of developers shows they weren't above playing extremely dirty either.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Apple attempting to block Unreal Engine's access to software development tools for iOS which would have completely fooked over a load of developers shows they weren't above playing extremely dirty either.

I'd call that following standard protocol. If a publisher is being a dick on your service you ban their license from the service which includes all their products including the Unreal dev tools. This is something Epic knew would happen and have tried to weaponise as well. The blame is purely with them rather than apple banning Epics developer license and the dev tools being affected being a side effect of that.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    And the fact that they are trying to win this battle by mobilizing an army of impressionable teenagers is sickening.

I am going to assume they know exactly what is going to happen by doing this, shocking behavior.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,468 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

I don't get people who say things like "Well, if you don't like it, why did you sign up to it in the first place?".
    You'd swear that nothing had ever changed before in the past and this was a revolutionary new thing. Everything is an absolute and you trying to change something is just foolhardy.
    They had to sign up to their terms, to get access to their user base.
    They are now trying to force change to a more favourable agreement to them, as a company, rather than giving 30% of vbucks sales to Apple for just being there.
    Whether you like it or not, things change all the time.

BTW, I dislike both Epic and Apple for various reasons. I'm not defending either of them. I just hate this attitude of nothing can change, because you signed the agreement.

Ever get a wage increase? How dare you try change the original agreement :mad:

Seriously though, get a grip :D

marcbrophy wrote: »
    I don't get people who say things like "Well, if you don't like it, why did you sign up to it in the first place?".
    You'd swear that nothing had ever changed before in the past and this was a revolutionary new thing. Everything is an absolute and you trying to change something is just foolhardy.
    They are now trying to force change to a more favourable agreement to them, as a company, rather than giving 30% of vbucks sales to Apple for just being there.

BTW, I dislike both Epic and Apple for various reasons. I'm not defending either of them. I just hate this attitude of nothing can change, because you signed the agreement.

It's an argument between two megacorporations. They should keep it between them. If they did then I wouldn't care.

But Epic have weaponised Fortnite's users by denying them their product and developers using the Unreal development tools to strengthen their position. That's where the issue is. They dragged them into a spat that has no bearing on either of them but now it does. And neither group gains anything from this battle of capitalism.

Eat the rich indeed.

• Advertisement

marcbrophy wrote: »

Have you ever asked for a wage increase, been told no, then immediately released a lawsuit announcement trailer aimed at riling up a bunch of 12 year olds?

If you have then consider me mighty impressed.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

I'd call that following standard protocol. If a publisher is being a dick on your service you ban their license from the service which includes all their products including the Unreal dev tools. This is something Epic knew would happen and have tried to weaponise as well. The blame is purely with them rather than apple banning Epics developer license and the dev tools being affected being a side effect of that.
    It's not that simple though, the company which legally owns Unreal Engine and has the developer licence on the platform is Epic Games International, a separate legal entity to Epic Games, who are responsible for Fortnite.

This distinction was highlighted by the Judge in their ruling earlier in the week, as was the fact that the agreements between Epic International and Apple have not been breached despite the dispute over Fortnite. This was one of factors taken into consideration when they placed a temporary restraining order on Apple, stopping them from revoking their developer privileges.

As an aside, I still wouldn't call it standard protocol when Google simply pulled Fortnite and didn't go after the developer licence.

Ok that puts it in a different light with apple going nuclear.

Ok that puts it in a different light with apple going nuclear.

They are both 100% in the wrong

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,456 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

It’d likely be to everyone’s benefit if Epic won and Apple had to open up their platform more.

It’s equally important to stress Epic are being greedy ****s motivated entirely by their own financial interests, and have cynically tried to manipulate Fortnite fans into believing their fight is driven by righteous motivations.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,468 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

Have you ever asked for a wage increase, been told no, then immediately released a lawsuit announcement trailer aimed at riling up a bunch of 12 year olds?

If you have then consider me mighty impressed.

You Sir, have given me an idea :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,539 ✭✭✭✭Varik

gizmo wrote: »
    As an aside, I still wouldn't call it standard protocol when Google simply pulled Fortnite and didn't go after the developer licence.

There's no developer licencing for android, only dealings you need with Google is a once off payment to resister to sell on the play store.

Varik wrote: »
    There's no developer licencing for android, only dealings you need with Google is a once off payment to resister to sell on the play store.

Tbf, with Android, if you're not listed on the Google Play Store, you can have your apps download directly from your own website if you choose - you just have to tell people to change to allow downloadable content from unknown sources in your settings.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Varik wrote: »
    Ah, so in the case of Apple it's the presence of their separate "Xcode and Apple SDKs Agreement" which they're claiming Epic are in breach of and since Google has no such additional agreement, they couldn't remove similar levels of access for Android even if they wanted to?

Final Fantasy Legends Collection coming to Switch.

3 of the finest handheld RPGs ever made for a bargain price. I'm sold!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,023 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

Lego Star Wars: The Skywalker Saga is finally getting a gameplay demo and you'd assume a release date tomorrow at Gamescom.

Am extremely excited for this, some of the Lego Star Wars games have been great to play.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,004 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

Activision has now confirmed they will be increasing the price of the Standard Edition of next-generation games for their franchise starting with call of Duty: Black Ops Cold War. The “Standard Edition” for Next-gen will include a copy for current-gen users who want to play on that version too.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭daheadonu

Retr0gamer wrote:
    3 of the finest handheld RPGs ever made for a bargain price. I'm sold!

Retr0gamer wrote:
    Final Fantasy Legends Collection coming to Switch.

Is this the first 3 original games?,the different naming between region versions always confused me

daheadonu wrote: »
    Is this the first 3 original games?,the different naming between region versions always confused me

It's the three Final Fantasy Legends games which were on Gameboy. They are actually the first three games in the Saga series but renamed FF in the West. They're pretty great short but sweet RPGs.

This article has some horrible stuff in it, none of it surprising though, it goes on everywhere.

Blockbuster Video Games Mint Millions While Grunts Get Exploited

This article has some horrible stuff in it, none of it surprising though, it goes on everywhere.

Blockbuster Video Games Mint Millions While Grunts Get Exploited

It's not just videogames. It happens in every industry. Happening in the industry I'm currently in. I'm lucky enough to be full time permanent but the contractors who do the same job on the same level as me get none of the benefits I get. Technically they are employed by the contract agency and not the company they work for so there's no benefits for them and contractors don't give any benefits.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,004 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

https://twitter.com/NXOnNetflix/status/1298949632379121665?s=19
    The Netflix series will tell its new story across two timelines. In the first, 14-year-old sisters Jade and Billie Wesker are moved to New Raccoon City. A manufactured, corporate town, forced on them right as adolescence is in full swing. But the more time they spend there, the more they come to realize that the town is more than it seems and their father may be concealing dark secrets. Secrets that could destroy the world. The second, more than a decade into the future sees less than 15 million people left on Earth. And more than 6 billion monsters — people and animals infected with the T-virus. Jade, now 30, struggles to survive in this new world, while the secrets from her past — about her sister, her father and herself — continue to haunt her.

As an RE superfan I will certainly give it a go, but seriously, would it ****ing kill them to start off with the Spencer Mansion incident?

Left 4 Dead 2 getting an update. It's a fan made project getting an official release.

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2020-08-27-11-years-later-valve-is-updating-left-4-dead-2

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,583 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

My immediate wondering on a RE live-action series is just how tongue in cheek it will be: certainly prior to the 7th entry the games played events with a distinct line of the absurd, bordering on the goofy in places. Playing a live-action series razor straight would feel like something important was missing in translation.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement