Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gaming News

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

There's quite a few pros and cons to having classic servers.

There are no cons to the consumers....only to blizzards bottom line. And that's fine and their choice and they made it. But they cant hide behind some other noble reason. They don't want the expense of catering a section of people who want classic servers. But they also don't want anybody else doing it either.

Money. It rules all in a situation like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Cant disagree with Blizzard here re the pirated part.

800,000 players or something assuming its 50/50 on the pirates, and WOW is at 5.5 million players it would make sense for them to allow this to happen for paid members.

400k@12 a month is 72 million a year.

Jaysis 12 quid a month......thats mad (no interest in MMORPGS whatsoever).

• Registered Users Posts: 10,743 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

wow is or was more or less free the last time i played it, you could buy a month sub for 40k gold, i'm sure the price has gone up but still

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

the original is gone, the cataclysm update changed the entire realm from what it was in vanilla to the new updated world, it looks and plays like an entirely different game.

The talent system in vanila is also a lot different, and imo it's way better than the system they have now, which is fairly much a non-functional, barely customizable system.

This is something that perks my interest cause WOW puts a lot behind its lore and while I can go and play the original warcraft games for a chunk of it. All of the events through the WOW era just moves on and while some quests stay when a patch like cataclysm hits whole dungeons and quest lines vanish and you try playing now and even as a new player it treats you as if you should know all the events surronding the politics in wow even though most of it went down between vanilla and cataclysm.

kind of sucks in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

http://i.imgur.com/LNAzbac.jpg

Well that's a screenshot I took last night just seconds before the server shutdown. The PvE server was the "quiet" server with a population of around 6,000 players, and this is 2000 people in Ironforge alone. The PvP server had a population of around 15,000 I believe.

Without dragging the whole Gaming News completely off-topic, I had no problem with the Cataclysm when it happened, I just find the current content very boring compared to the older content.
    I do think that Blizzard are making a big mistake by not addressing this and opening up a system of Classic servers. Hell, they could even copy how Nostalrius did it and move on.

edit:
    Even Blizzard's Facebook Page has been overtaken with both Nost players and retail players looking for comments from Blizzard on the matter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,842 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Blizzard have every right to shut the server down, as it is their IP, but it still sucks for the people who were playing on it. I'd say there was a very small amount of actual money lost by Blizzard due to this server, as most people that play on it do so because they don't play the main game anymore, or they also play on the official servers.

I'd absolutely love if they released a classic server, that went through all the expansions over a period of 6 months. Getting to play through some of the pre-expansion content would be great fun. Not sure i'd bother with a server that stayed at classic, as there's far too many changes that i couldn't do without.
    wow is or was more or less free the last time i played it, you could buy a month sub for 40k gold, i'm sure the price has gone up but still

85k gold at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Kiith wrote: »
    Blizzard have every right to shut the server down, as it is their IP, but it still sucks for the people who were playing on it. I'd say there was a very small amount of actual money lost by Blizzard due to this server, as most people that play on it do so because they don't play the main game anymore, or they also play on the official servers.

I'd absolutely love if they released a classic server, that went through all the expansions over a period of 6 months. Getting to play through some of the pre-expansion content would be great fun. Not sure i'd bother with a server that stayed at classic, as there's far too many changes that i couldn't do without.

85k gold at the moment.

I liked Nostalrius' plan for the servers.

Classic: 1 PvP and 1 PvE server. Two TBC servers were due to be released, 1 PvP and 1 PvE. You could transfer your character to the TBC realm, but once you'd done so you would have to make a new character on the Classic realm. That way you could clear the content in Classic and move on when you wanted to.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,539 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Might be a nice kick to raise some numbers to do a classic server with expansion being added with a bit of polish added, do it a la Diablo 3's seasons.

Streamline to experience and to give it a nice long narrative/experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

They don't even mention the studio working on it. This is going to be the shovelist of the wares. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

gizmo wrote: »
    They don't even mention the studio working on it. This is going to be the shovelist of the wares. :(

It is Activision.

Xenji wrote: »
    It is Activision.
    Aye, but at least they had made an effort with their last few licenced titles by getting Platinum on-board for The Legend of Korra, Transformers Devastation and TMNT: Mutants in Manhattan.

This looks like they've regressed to finding the cheapest work for hire outfit they could to churn something out in time for the release of the movie on the smallest budget they could get away with.

Aye, but at least they had made an effort with their last few licenced titles by getting Platinum on-board for The Legend of Korra, Transformers Devastation and TMNT: Mutants in Manhattan.

This looks like they've regressed to finding the cheapest work for hire outfit they could to churn something out in time for the release of the movie on the smallest budget they could get away with.

In fairness The Legend of Korra was woefully bad, lets see if this can get any worse.

In fairness The Legend of Korra was woefully bad, lets see if this can get any worse.
    Main complaint I heard was that it was too short but outside of that was a solid if unspectacular brawler? Reviews on Steam seem markedly better but I can't really comment as I've only just picked it up myself along with Spiderman: Shattered Dimensions.

Devastation, on the other hand, I ****ing loved. It may have had a questionable price point on launch but I can't remember the last game that made me feel so warm and fuzzy on the inside. :o

Main complaint I heard was that it was too short but outside of that was a solid if unspectacular brawler? Reviews on Steam seem markedly better but I can't really comment as I've only just picked it up myself along with Spiderman: Shattered Dimensions.

Devastation, on the other hand, I ****ing loved. It may have had a questionable price point on launch but I can't remember the last game that made me feel so warm and fuzzy on the inside. :o

They basically misunderstood everything that the series was about, coupled with terrible mechanics, poor cut scenes and graphics and showed Platinum were not infallible, it was made as an attempt of a Christmas cash cow in the end.

I loved Devastation though, that's my childhood right there!

They basically misunderstood everything that the series was about, coupled with terrible mechanics, poor cut scenes and graphics and showed Platinum were not infallible, it was made as an attempt of a Christmas cash cow in the end.

I loved Devastation though, that's my childhood right there!
    Hmm, do you reckon I should hold off on playing it until I've watched the series? Bearing in mind that'll probably require watching Avatar first too, not that I'm in a massive rush to get to it or anything.

As for Platinum, it may have the studio name on it but their core team would have been working on Bayonetta 2 at the time, not to mention the fact they're probably operating on a shoestring budget from Activision. To be honest, I'm pretty amazed they were tapped for the projects in the first place but I'm guessing they've set themselves up to run multiple teams and take on projects like this in order to keep finances healthy and the studio independent.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

GameStop just launched their own publishing division, called GameTrust, and have signed Frozenbyte, Tequila Works and Ready at Dawn.

http://www.polygon.com/2016/4/18/11449152/gamestop-publishing-gametrust-insomniac-games-ready-at-dawn-frozenbyte

Hmm, do you reckon I should hold off on playing it until I've watched the series? Bearing in mind that'll probably require watching Avatar first too, not that I'm in a massive rush to get to it or anything.

As for Platinum, it may have the studio name on it but their core team would have been working on Bayonetta 2 at the time, not to mention the fact they're probably operating on a shoestring budget from Activision. To be honest, I'm pretty amazed they were tapped for the projects in the first place but I'm guessing they've set themselves up to run multiple teams and take on projects like this in order to keep finances healthy and the studio independent.

You would not need to watch the whole series, just have a brief idea of the characters, you can beat the game in 2-3 hours easily, so story lore really does not come into it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

New game from Supergiant, of Bastion and Transistor fame, no idea what's going on based on the trailer, but colour me excite none the less!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,576 ✭✭✭EoinHef

Kiith wrote: »
    GameStop just launched their own publishing division, called GameTrust, and have signed Frozenbyte, Tequila Works and Ready at Dawn.

http://www.polygon.com/2016/4/18/11449152/gamestop-publishing-gametrust-insomniac-games-ready-at-dawn-frozenbyte

Shuddered a little when i saw this,imagine the games they published were exclusive to gamestop!!

EoinHef wrote: »
    Shuddered a little when i saw this,imagine the games they published were exclusive to gamestop!!
    From the IGN article, the physical release for Song of the Deep will be exclusive to Gamestop with digital ones available elsewhere. I imagine it'll apply to other titles released on the label too unless they're just using the first release as a trial run.

From the IGN article, the physical release for Song of the Deep will be exclusive to Gamestop with digital ones available elsewhere. I imagine it'll apply to other titles released on the label too unless they're just using the first release as a trial run.

I did see the word exclusive used in the article but the writer didnt really elaborate weather this was to be the norm or not. Being gamestop id imagine it will. Which is a bit worrying. First retailer exclusive stuff like maybe a map,charcter,pre order stuff but this is a step too far imo. All depends on the quality of the games they publish though. If there all crap obviously no one will care.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

EoinHef wrote: »
    I did see the word exclusive used in the article but the writer didnt really elaborate weather this was to be the norm or not. Being gamestop id imagine it will. Which is a bit worrying. First retailer exclusive stuff like maybe a map,charcter,pre order stuff but this is a step too far imo. All depends on the quality of the games they publish though. If there all crap obviously no one will care.

Could it just be a case of them knowing that the days of b&m shops are numbered and they are moving over to the publishing side of things to be able to keep their business financially viable?

Could it just be a case of them knowing that the days of b&m shops are numbered and they are moving over to the publishing side of things to be able to keep their business financially viable?

Couldnt argue anything there,it makes sense from a business perspective to diversify. And if they turn into just a run of the mill publisher fine,but i think it would be bad for consumers if they lock any potential games they could potentially publish behind an exclusivity wall. IMO that would be bad for consumers. Considering their history and current pricing.

Tatsuya Minami has stepped down as the head of Platinum games.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

Tatsuya Minami has stepped down as the head of Platinum games.

Next week it'll be announced Hideki Kamiya is the new head, in a statement to the press, he says "Eat ****" :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 33,743 ✭✭✭✭Penn

http://www.videogamer.com/ps4/gta_5/news/amazon_blocks_non-prime_members_from_buying_certain_video_games.html
    Amazon has extended its "Prime-Exclusive Items" initiative to block non-Prime members from being able to purchase certain video games.

The change was spotted by customers this morning, with the PS4 versions of GTA 5, Rainbow Six Siege and Assassin's Creed Syndicate now only available to Prime members, along with the PS4 and Xbox One versions of Far Cry Primal, Battlefield Hardline and more.

If you aren't a member of Amazon Prime, you will now see a box with a blue border on the right of the page "identifying the item as Prime-Exclusive", and will not be able to add the item to your basket.

It isn't yet clear exactly how many games are now available exclusively to Prime members. The initiative does not prevent buyers purchasing the affected items from third-party sellers.

"Prime-Exclusive items are products for sale on Amazon that can only be purchased if you're a member of Amazon Prime," Amazon says on its website. "As a Prime member, you can choose from millions of Prime-eligible items sold on Amazon.co.uk."

A subscription to Amazon Prime costs £79 per year. VideoGamer.com has contacted Amazon for comment.

Wow. That is insanely sh*tty.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

Penn wrote: »

Yeah, bollocks to that. There's nothing on this earth that would convince me to get an Amazon Prime account and shenanigans like that will just mean I'll use them less and less.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement