Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gaming News

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,739 ✭✭✭✭Penn

https://www.windowscentral.com/xbox-series-x-and-xbox-series-s-release-date-and-price-finally-revealed

Xbox Series S officially revealed. Both Xboxs launch Nov.10th. Series X for $500, Series S for $300.

More info on Series S specs to be revealed soon.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,409 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Begun, the console war has.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,409 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I can't help thinking that a 300 dollar machine with game pass is going to be crucial as the world heads into a deep recession.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

• Registered Users Posts: 33,739 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I can't help thinking that a 300 dollar machine with game pass is going to be crucial as the world heads into a deep recession.

Seems they're pushing payment plans for both consoles too, but I'm not fully sure of the details on that.

Also, I said "officially revealed", but turns out its a leak. But given they have pictures of the actual Series S, seems like it's genuine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,097 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Penn wrote: »
    Seems they're pushing payment plans for both consoles too, but I'm not fully sure of the details on that.

Also, I said "officially revealed", but turns out its a leak. But given they have pictures of the actual Series S, seems like it's genuine.

Payment plans were available in the US for last Gen. Was bundled with Game Pass as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Markitron

Official now

https://twitter.com/Xbox/status/1303230071033880576?s=20

From the twitter thread:
    Series S is powerful than all current gen consoles by far.
    It’s a next gen console that targets 1080p, instead of 4K.

Same Zen 2 CPU as XSX and PS5.
    Same RDNA 2 GPU architecture as XSX and PS5.
    Same GDDR6 RAM as XSX and PS5.
    Same NVMe SSD as XSX.

It’s expected to have similar raytracing features, machine learning/AI capabilities as XSX as well.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,576 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Retr0gamer wrote: »

This. Unlike financial crashes it's unlikely anyone with authority could have seen this coming, so it's a tough bind for Sony/Microsoft to be in. Those consoles were made under the presumption of the world economy looking at it did at the start of 2020, with price-points to match the audiences' pockets & higher specification parts.

Then again, the world is likely to become very insular and indoors'y for the short to medium term so perhaps the appeal of high spec gaming systems might increase in the absence of other social options - or the presence of a second lockdown.

pixelburp wrote: »
    This. Unlike financial crashes it's unlikely anyone with authority could have seen this coming, so it's a tough bind for Sony/Microsoft to be in. Those consoles were made under the presumption of the world economy looking at it did at the start of 2020, with price-points to match the audiences' pockets & higher specification parts.

Then again, the world is likely to become very insular and indoors'y for the short to medium term so perhaps the appeal of high spec gaming systems might increase in the absence of other social options - or the presence of a second lockdown.

But it turns out Xbox do have that €300 console. I expect it to sell very well, especially with parents who have younger kids. €300 and Fortnite and the kids will be delighted.

Edit: confirmed to be £250 in the UK. So on today's Revolut rates that's €275.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,576 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

TitianGerm wrote: »
    But it turns out Xbox do have that €300 console. I expect it to sell very well, especially with parents who have younger kids. €300 and Fortnite and the kids will be delighted.

Well sure, I should have added that; the xBox price-point is definitely competitive and more proofed against whatever apocalyptic recession is coming. Nintendo might themselves have to consider their next move, assuming there's some new console rattling around the R&D department in Kyoto.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,883 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

My immediate reaction to the Series S price-point had me assuming it would basically be a Xbox One X.

I will need to see more to understand the exact differences between X and S, but based on the thread above if the only real difference is 1080 vs 4k.... then that is a very appealing piece of kit. I would still for the X myself, but the S is a very family friendly price point for a console that will completely suit a massive target audience.

As I say though, would like to see specifics. It says same GDDR6 Ram for example.... does that mean same type and amount, or just same type. Same for the SSD. I don't know if you could have a lower spec variant of the RDNA 2 GPU in that context.

My immediate reaction to the Series S price-point had me assuming it would basically be a Xbox One X.

I will need to see more to understand the exact differences between X and S, but based on the thread above if the only real difference is 1080 vs 4k.... then that is a very appealing piece of kit. I would still for the X myself, but the S is a very family friendly price point for a console that will completely suit a massive target audience.

As I say though, would like to see specifics. It says same GDDR6 Ram for example.... does that mean same type and amount, or just same type. Same for the SSD. I don't know if you could have a lower spec variant of the RDNA 2 GPU in that context.

I'd imagine it's same speed GGDR Ram but less of it.
    Same CPU/GPU architecture but slower clock speeds and less cores.
    Same SSD but 500GB instead of 1TB.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭Kilboor

The naming conventions Xbox have chosen is a ****ing disaster

TitianGerm wrote: »
    I'd imagine it's same speed GGDR Ram but less of it.
    Same CPU/GPU architecture but slower clock speeds and less cores.
    Same SSD but 500GB instead of 1TB.

I get your first point is pure opinion, are points 2 and 3 opinion or has that been said somewhere? (not having a go, just looking for info).

Slower clock and less Ram would make sense if it doesn't aim to hit 4k.

The SSD being smaller would be the significant problem, imo - given it is next gen and discless. A small SSD will be a storage problem quickly, though iirc the SSD on the Xbox is more standard than the one in the PS5 so would be easier/cheaper (than PS5) to buy external for expansion.

Kilboor wrote: »

Yeah - and I don't get what their plan is. When they named it that seemed to be saying this was going to be the new naming convention for what Xboxes will be in future. So I don't get why you would start with Series X... (and S). What is the next gen going to be (in 7 years...). How do they continue that branding?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,444 ✭✭✭recyclops

its basically the apple model and if they followed how well they are recieved they would be delighted

• Registered Users Posts: 23,178 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Sony won't beat that in terms of price. I'd switch only for I'm too invested in exclusives.

I get your first point is pure opinion, are points 2 and 3 opinion or has that been said somewhere? (not having a go, just looking for info).

Slower clock and less Ram would make sense if it doesn't aim to hit 4k.

The SSD being smaller would be the significant problem, imo - given it is next gen and discless. A small SSD will be a storage problem quickly, though iirc the SSD on the Xbox is more standard than the one in the PS5 so would be easier/cheaper (than PS5) to buy external for expansion.

It's meant to be a 1080 machine though. The 4K assets and textures are what take up lots of space the majority of the time. If you're not getting those larger assets then you won't need as much storage space.

The SSD is still a custom drive in the Xbox. Will be like a memory card to plug into the back of the console to increase storage space.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,444 ✭✭✭recyclops

J. Marston wrote: »
    Sony won't beat that in terms of price. I'd switch only for I'm too invested in exclusives.

sure then you'll have a few years to save for a ps5 :pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭Kilboor

Is there some sort of cross play between Xbox and PC in that you can save on PC and resume your game on Xbox? I'd probably buy a new Xbox if this was the case.

PS5 looks like the console I will get regardless though, purely for exclusives. Need some backwards compatibility to enjoy the PS3 and PS4 exclusives too though :D

• Advertisement

J. Marston wrote: »

Interestingly though....

If I assume you are going to get a PS5. Does the Series S not become more appealing in the medium term as a second purchase at that price point? If you throw a GamePass sub on it you are looking at 1080p (60fps?) next gen microsoft gaming - a better way to play the Xbox exclusives than on a One X and a relatively cheap entry to the Xbox ecosystem.

If you have a good gaming PC then you can probably cover that off without the S, but maybe this is actually part of MS's play. $300 price point to become a viable 'second console' for a PS5 player. at 450 it would be far less of an option for most.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

Is there some sort of cross play between Xbox and PC in that you can save on PC and resume your game on Xbox? I'd probably buy a new Xbox if this was the case.
    For Play Anywhere titles, yes.
    https://www.xbox.com/en-IE/games/xbox-play-anywhere

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,352 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

The sizzle reel leaked as well now.

https://twitter.com/_h0x0d_/status/1303252607759130624

The XBox Series S will have Ninja Gaiden Black through backwards compatibility and is therefore a better console than anything Sony can bring out.

Joking aside, the ball really is in Sony's court now to see what their pricing will be. I feel exclusives are becoming less and less of a reason to pick a console what with the amount of exclusives on the PS4 being quite disappointing this gen.

300 dollars and a game pass subscription is a bargain especially considering the slow uptake of 4K screens.

The only caveat is that of you have a PC the XBox makes no sense. But then I think Microsoft's main concern is selling gamepass subscriptions and this is a set top box to sell that through while the PC also has gamepass.

tl;dr Just bring Ninja Gaiden Black to the PC already.

I'd suspect I'll be getting both a playstation and xbox with that pricing.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

After all these years I wouldn't even know how to hold an x-box controller. I don't like change. Change is scary.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,943 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

I imagine that the job spec for the naming department includes an unironic passion for Nu-Metal. :pac:

I'd suspect I'll be getting both a playstation and xbox with that pricing.

And that's a win for Microsoft if you had only planned on getting the PS5. Now Microsoft will have €300 from you and probably a Game Pass subscription as well.

gimli2112 wrote: »
    After all these years I wouldn't even know how to hold an x-box controller. I don't like change. Change is scary.

In your hands Gimli, in your hands :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,961 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

gimli2112 wrote: »

Xbox controller is beautiful to hold.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement