Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gaming News

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,409 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

gimli2112 wrote: »
    After all these years I wouldn't even know how to hold an x-box controller. I don't like change. Change is scary.

It's soooo much better than the dual shock. Using it on my PC now and it's lovely. The dual shock 4 is pretty good in fairness after years of awful dualshock controllers but MS for me have perfected the dual analogue design.

Predictions for the PS5 price?

PS5 with disc drive 550-600

PS5 discless 450-500

I'd be surprised if Sony can afford to match the XBox price. They don't have the deep pockets MS do and aren't pushing a gamepass model to help subsidise it (which could well change).

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,455 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Just from those specs, the S seems like a very good deal if the only major compromise is lack of full 4K. I’d assume there’d have to be a fairly substantial performance gulf to allow for a 200 quid difference, so very interested to see how they balance out in that regard (and in real-life comparisons).

A €300 entry point for a next-gen console is no doubt a welcome thing for many people. No question Sony will only be operating in the same space as the Series X, so an obvious advantage to MS. We’ll have to wait and see whether people will flock to the beefier options. Certainly the SX is a much tougher sell now for a lot of people.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,104 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

That's actually an attractive price.
    They say it won't do 4k but will it manage the same frame rate, since I'm sure a lot would want that.
    I assume the leaked X price is correct as well, though not official.

Even though it'll basically be a game pass machine, no disc drive? Think we only see one side of the console in that video

• Registered Users Posts: 45,883 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    It's soooo much better than the dual shock. Using it on my PC now and it's lovely. The dual shock 4 is pretty good in fairness after years of awful dualshock controllers but MS for me have perfected the dual analogue design.

Predictions for the PS5 price?

PS5 with disc drive 550-600

PS5 discless 450-500

I'd be surprised if Sony can afford to match the XBox price. They don't have the deep pockets MS do and aren't pushing a gamepass model to help subsidise it (which could well change).

I had thought PS5 disc 500 and discless 450.
    Now thinking Sony will be doing the sums on:
    PS5 Disc - 500.
    PS5 Discless - 400.

Though the PS5 discless is a very different prospect to the Series S and 'worth' more, I think they will be doing the sums to try get as close to it has they can.

But they may also consider that an S at 300 actually works for them - because you could have people that were deciding between a PS5 and SX at 500, but will be happy to go PS5 at 500 and SS at 300.

The Series S at 300 is potentially a big winner for both brands.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,097 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

I had thought PS5 disc 500 and discless 450.
    Now thinking Sony will be doing the sums on:
    PS5 Disc - 500.
    PS5 Discless - 400.

Though the PS5 discless is a very different prospect to the Series S and 'worth' more, I think they will be doing the sums to try get as close to it has they can.

But they may also consider that an S at 300 actually works for them - because you could have people that were deciding between a PS5 and SX at 500, but will be happy to go PS5 at 500 and SS at 300.

The Series S at 300 is potentially a big winner for both brands.

It depends on how much of a loss Sony want to take on the consoles. €500 might already be selling at a loss per unit and they may not be able to go lower.

Microsoft may be in a similar situation but as they have a huge revenue generator in Game Pass they may actually be ok to drop the price if the X to €450/475 because of an additional revenue stream that Sony don't have.

Hopefully we find out more in the next few days.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,455 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

While the common logic is that MS can subsidise a lower price with subscriptions, I’m sure GamePass is also a fairly expensive service to actually run - it basically needs to significantly cover the development costs of every game they release at this stage. Still a big deal to have a major revenue stream guaranteed every month.

The theoretical ‘advantage’ PS5 has when it comes to the discless console is that they can also subsidise it somewhat since users are locked into their ecosystem and therefore have to use the store. That’s a guaranteed chunk of every single game purchase for Sony. MS of course have that benefit too (especially for third-party new releases), but with GamePass there’ll be no need for an Xbox owner to straight-up buy nearly as many games as a PS5 owner. I mean, two full price games on PS5 will cost almost double an annual GamePass subscription.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,409 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

You also have to take into account that the PS5 has a lot more custom hardware with regards the SSD and a very advanced (and expensive) SSD over the Series X.

In terms of the CPU and GPU I expect them to be the same price. Will be interesting to see if Sony going for faster clock cycles over microsoft's approach with more cores is the correct one. With engines and coding the way it is now I've a feeling that more cores is the better approach.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,366 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

The PS5 and Series X will be 600 quid, there's gonna be no dancing around that.

The Series S seems to be a gap bridge between the One X and the Series X..

Also, can Microsoft please review their naming conventions.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,468 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

The Series S targets 1440p, not 1080p! (According to leaks!)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

CastorTroy wrote: »
    That's actually an attractive price.
    They say it won't do 4k but will it manage the same frame rate, since I'm sure a lot would want that.
    I assume the leaked X price is correct as well, though not official.

Even though it'll basically be a game pass machine, no disc drive? Think we only see one side of the console in that video

It has same CPU as Series X so it should hold same frame rate, too.
    Less powerful GPU just means it's limited to lower resolution.

re: Lack of discs - I'm on PC and haven't used a disc in a decade.
    Online is the wave of the future; Microsoft knew this which is why they propped up HD-DVD even as it was dying, to get Sony to invest more heavily into Blu-Ray instead of PSN.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,739 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Vicxas wrote: »
    The PS5 and Series X will be 600 quid, there's gonna be no dancing around that.

The Series S seems to be a gap bridge between the One X and the Series X..

Also, can Microsoft please review their naming conventions.

The leak stated the Series X will be 500.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭quokula

K.O.Kiki wrote: »

Online is the wave of the future; Microsoft knew this which is why they propped up HD-DVD even as it was dying, to get Sony to invest more heavily into Blu-Ray instead of PSN.

It's a lot more complicated than just the number of pixels and GPU can absolutely impact on frame rate. Whether or not it holds the same frame rate will be down to the level of detail of the graphics and effects. I assume the intention would be for the frame rate to be the same, but really this will be down to individual developers to ensure they get the level of detail right.

I agree that discs are dying. There's very little need for them these days. I know some people like discs because of the second hand market, but direct download sales can be very competitively priced, and if the second hand market dies off it will help developer's profit margins and allow them to offer more value.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭The Raging Bile Duct

Microsoft knew this which is why they propped up HD-DVD even as it was dying, to get Sony to invest more heavily into Blu-Ray instead of PSN.

That sounds absolutely daft.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Markitron

This post is just incorrect from start to finish

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Parsnips

I firmly Believe Physical Disc is only valuable for shelf space in shops.
    And is a valuable source of advertising in large mall where footfall past a window is high.
    "Soccer Moms and grandparents" etc.

I dont like to think that game shops will be gone in a few years but I think its inevitable.

I will actually get the one with a disc even though I likely won't be buying them in the future. Would prefer to have something I can put my ps4 games in. Big difference between pc and consoles is resellers aren't an option. Way easier to go digital only on pc as you can get deals.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭ahnowbrowncow

I'll eat my hat if the Series S has the same CPU as the Series X (same clock rate etc.)

Disclaimer: I don't have a hat.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

I'll eat my hat if the Series S has the same CPU as the Series X (same clock rate etc.)

Disclaimer: I don't have a hat.

It will. It is going to use the same APUs as the X series but only the ones that don't have the required compute units.
    It's very clever from MS as they can use these "failed" chips in another product. The CU count will probably be in the low 30's so should be plenty for 1080p gaming.

• Moderators Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭Azza

Should Microsoft also release an E-model so we can have the Xbox Series SEX family? :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

Aye, the naming for xbox series from the off has been daft. I mean, the original Xbox was referred to as the xbox one when the 360 showed up, then we had 5 different versions of that with Elite and S fired into the mix - then Xbox One bouncing the 'original' to being referred to as such then more S and X and now this next gen rubbish naming

Still, this seris X S at apparently €299 is intriguing. I have Game pass for the PC, and now and then I'll drag the system up to the larger TV for multi player [my PC is actually tiny] - if I have this S I can split gamepass across both right? and have more chilled sessions on that without having to move anything

• Registered Users Posts: 12,539 ✭✭✭✭Varik

It will. It is going to use the same APUs as the X series but only the ones that don't have the required compute units.
    It's very clever from MS as they can use these "failed" chips in another product. The CU count will probably be in the low 30's so should be plenty for 1080p gaming.

Every redundant CU they add drops the failure rate there by a large magnitude, while I think they'll be using the same 8 core Zen 2 CPU at practically the same frequency as part of the APU I don't think it's about saving the rejects.

They'd be making for purpose S APUs at a rate of 10000s to 1 of the repurposed ones.

It's also be a few steps removed from MS, MS->AMD->TSMC, any savings would be lost in rounding.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,834 ✭✭✭Greyfox

TitianGerm wrote: »
    And that's a win for Microsoft if you had only planned on getting the PS5. Now Microsoft will have €300 from you and probably a Game Pass subscription as well.

That's the way I look at it. If it was a question of which console I was getting I would definitely pick the PS5. Now that its worth getting both I reckon ill get the series s first and wait a year or so to get a PS5. €300 and gamepass is amazing value.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

The XBox Series S will have Ninja Gaiden Black through backwards compatibility and is therefore a better console than anything Sony can bring out.

Joking aside, the ball really is in Sony's court now to see what their pricing will be. I feel exclusives are becoming less and less of a reason to pick a console what with the amount of exclusives on the PS4 being quite disappointing this gen.

300 dollars and a game pass subscription is a bargain especially considering the slow uptake of 4K screens.

The only caveat is that of you have a PC the XBox makes no sense. But then I think Microsoft's main concern is selling gamepass subscriptions and this is a set top box to sell that through while the PC also has gamepass.

tl;dr Just bring Ninja Gaiden Black to the PC already.

Sony could charge $700 and it would still outsell any Microsoft console.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

RasTa wrote: »

Let's hope Sony don't read this.
    I think with the ship show that's coming down the road economically a decision between a $300 and $700 is going to be a no-brainer for a lot of people.

The XBox Series S will have Ninja Gaiden Black through backwards compatibility and is therefore a better console than anything Sony can bring out.

tl;dr Just bring Ninja Gaiden Black to the PC already.

https://www.pushsquare.com/news/2020/09/ninja_gaiden_sigma_trilogy_listed_for_ps4_by_hong_kong_publisher
    Hong Kong's biggest game publisher and distributor has uploaded and quickly deleted a listing for a Ninja Gaiden Sigma Trilogy. The product page mentioned a PlayStation 4 release in March 2021 before being pulled. That's all the information we have to share right now, but if someone in the know speaks up or the collection is officially announced, we'll be sure to update you all.

Given the title of the supposed trilogy, this would be a bundling of Ninja Gaiden Sigma, Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2, and Ninja Gaiden III. For clarity, this would not include Ninja Gaiden Black — what is widely considered to be the best version of the original game. Since the listing is no longer available for viewing, that probably means this collection is either absolutely a thing or was just a muck-up. Let's hope we learn more in the near future.

They're just f*cking with you at this stage, Retro

• Registered Users Posts: 3,834 ✭✭✭Greyfox

RasTa wrote: »

True but getting more people into gamepass is a very strong step in the right direction. Hopefully it will make Sony improve ps plus&now and we all win

Yep Game Pass is definitely a selling point for me. It's got the other advantage that you can use it on pc too.

Greyfox wrote: »
    True but getting more people into gamepass is a very strong step in the right direction. Hopefully it will make Sony improve ps plus&now and we all win

Yeah, its the one area Sony are falling behind on. Id be tempted to get an XBSS in a year or two for gamepass, but if Sony improved PS Now to be similar or close enough to gamepass I likely wouldn't bother.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

The XSS is a bit of a no brainer for anyone who also likes to game on PC I think and already runs game pass, for €300 - less than I paid for the Xbox Elite 360 when it came out! and then it was 60-70 per game.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement