Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gaming News

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,409 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I get the feeling though that SSD, fast ram and ray tracing are going to be pretty much mandatory in the next 2 years. So the next PC upgrade for most people will be an expensive one if they want to keep up.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,409 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

recyclops wrote: »
    also say this in the announcement

EA Play Comes to Xbox Game Pass at no additional cost.

what is ea play? is it that vault thing?

the xbox all access finance announcement says UK in game and smyths toys i wonder if it includes here

It's EA's version of gamepass. You get all EA games on it.

So Sony now has to announce something. Rumours say it will be today but take that with a pinch of salt.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    So Sony now has to announce something. Rumours say it will be today but take that with a pinch of salt.

They should really pull a shocker, like ... give a free Ps5 to anyone who bought the original ps1 :D [I'll have 2 then thanks!]

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,455 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I have a 2060 Super. It runs most games great at 1440p with high frame rates.

I still don’t think you’ll be able to build a machine capable of Xbox Series S standard - next gen titles with ray tracing support etc... - for anything near 300 quid. As said, a decent 2060 (perhaps 2070 as prices drop) upgrade on an already good machine is what you’d be looking at for 300 quid. Starting from scratch? Forget about building a machine anywhere near as powerful as the S. It’s a great price for the specs: a similar PC would be substantially more expensive.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,455 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    It's EA's version of gamepass. You get all EA games on it.

It’s not new games AFAIK - it’s the back catalogue games and the ‘previews’ of new releases.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,842 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Playstation will counter this by removing Online capability through PS Plus....and giving it it's own subscription so we will need one for Online, one for Plus and One for Now #AllTheMoney

That's one area I'd love to see Sony compete with MS, the digital subs, but Sony know they don't have to which is a balls. Sounds like for 25 a month, you get a new xbox, ultimate game pass and maybe ea play as well. Unreal offer even it means paying 100 more over the 2 years than you would have spent on the console. Very enticing to parents.

I still don’t think you’ll be able to build a machine capable of Xbox Series S standard - next gen titles with ray tracing support etc... - for anything near 300 quid. As said, a decent 2060 (perhaps 2070 as prices drop) upgrade on an already good machine is what you’d be looking at for 300 quid. Starting from scratch? Forget about building a machine anywhere near as powerful as the S. It’s a great price for the specs: a similar PC would be substantially more expensive.

I agree, I think what OP on the subject meant was just for the card alone though? If you already have a half decent set up. The expected RTX 3060 would be the one to look to

• Registered Users Posts: 7,866 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

MS have thrown in EA PLAY with "Xbox All Access". That's another 70+ games on top of the 200+ PC games and 240+ console titles.

So for €25 a month you get a new Series S console, Game Pass Ultimate, Xbox Live, and EA Play, and Free Cloud Streaming!! €35 if you want the Series X

That is really good. They are going to fly off the shelves. There are a lot of families that can't shell out the €500 for Christmas on a new console but would be able to spare €25 each month.

It’s not new games AFAIK - it’s the back catalogue games and the ‘previews’ of new releases.

Yeah you get 10 hours with the new titles 3 or 4 days before launch (you get a 10% discount if you want to outright buy it then). Or it gets added to the vault a few months later if you don't mind waiting around.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,004 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

Assassin's Creed Valhalla now releasing week earlier
    https://twitter.com/assassinscreed/status/1303685357335187458?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

MS have thrown in EA PLAY with "Xbox All Access". That's another 70+ games on top of the 200+ PC games and 240+ console titles.

So for €25 a month you get a new Series S console, Game Pass Ultimate, Xbox Live, and EA Play, and Free Cloud Streaming!! €35 if you want the Series X

That is really good. They are going to fly off the shelves. There are a lot of families that can't shell out the €500 for Christmas on a new console but would be able to spare €25 each month.

If theyre going to capitalise this, they'd want to sort out theyre marketing. Its grand for the likes of us in here who are 'in the know', but some sort of simplified phrase to really drive this home to the console buying luddite parent.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,366 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Ball seriously in PlayStations court now. If they're not close to that price they will lose a lot of early ground

I'm not used to xbox socials but they seem gas out.

https://twitter.com/Xbox/status/1303687722205196290?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭The Raging Bile Duct

How do you get those financing offers in Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 45,882 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

https://twitter.com/Xbox/status/1303680112156524544

So, maybe 13 days to decide.
    Hope PS announce their details soon now. No reason for holding off now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,444 ✭✭✭recyclops

God bless the poor accountants in Sony at the moment trying to get the numbers to stack up

• Registered Users Posts: 5,576 ✭✭✭EoinHef

Series S GPU is not equivalent to the Series X GPU. CPU is the same. Do we have any official spec for the series s gpu? Also ray tracing is a catch all for many different graphics features. The S could easily have the bare minimum of these features so it can be marketed as featuring ray tracing.

Not saying you could build a PC for 300 capable but think its a tad pre mature to proclaiming it a miracle at €300

This is especially true with the new gen of GPUs launching,prices for the 20 series from Nvidia have skewed everything so things look like great value compared to it. The 20 series is an outlier regarding GPU prices,they gouged while they had no competition. I think the console GPUs should be compared to the 30 series. Which will be launched before the consoles,well part of the range anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,882 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Not announced for Ireland.

Aus, Us, NZ and UK (I didn't realise UK had in on it) currently. But there are plans to 'triple' that, apparently. Hopefully Ireland does get in on it.

https://www.videogameschronicle.com/news/xbox-will-reportedly-triple-the-number-of-countries-where-it-offers-all-access/#:~:text=Currently%20All%20Access%20is%20only,and%20the%20overall%20hardware%20generation.

UK site - Smyths and Game the retailers (but Smyths link doesn't work.)

https://www.xbox.com/en-GB/xbox-all-access#findaretailer

• Registered Users Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭McFly85

Excellent pricing! Would love to know what Sony make of it-one of their SKUs will have to at least match that price now.

In saying that, I have a one X that’s basically just used for gamepass, which will be well supported for the foreseeable, so I feel no great need to upgrade right away. Think I’ll wait a couple of years for the next revision.

• Advertisement

They should be available closer the time. 12 locations will be added. They will be run with a store. So I assume Smyths and Gamestop will be the most likely places.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

Actually doing the numbers on that....if you wanted a console and the 2 years on Ultimate Pass (which is pretty vital if interested in online play) are you saving money this way? First time Ive seen a credit purchase scheme that didnt screw you to the wall.

It will be interesting to see what Sony come out with, especially since they sent e-mails to certain customers with a chance to pre-order ahead of other people, bollox acting.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,004 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    It will be interesting to see what Sony come out with, especially since they sent e-mails to certain customers with a chance to pre-order ahead of other people, bollox acting.

Also today is PlayStations 25th Birthday so today would be perfect day to announce price and date.

Also today is PlayStations 25th Birthday so today would be perfect day to announce price and date.

Saw this on Reddit :pac:
    Happy 25th anniversary, PlayStation. May our exclusives be plentiful, and fan decibels be low.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Details on the Xbox Series S.

It came out in Decemeber 1994 so not really its anniversary. It's the US release anniversary. EU release aniversary is in a few more days.

Typical Yanks rewriting history!

Gunmonkey wrote: »
    Actually doing the numbers on that....if you wanted a console and the 2 years on Ultimate Pass (which is pretty vital if interested in online play) are you saving money this way? First time Ive seen a credit purchase scheme that didnt screw you to the wall.

It looks to work out little bit better. €25 x 24 = €600.

If you bought all individually it would be

Series S is €300.
    Game Pass Ultimate €12.99 x 24 = €311.76.
    EA Play would be an extra €30 x 2 = €60, but that seems to be just part of Ultimate and not exclusive to Xbox All Access.

But you could say you are getting between €611.76 - €671.76 worth of value for €600.

EoinHef wrote: »
    Series S GPU is not equivalent to the Series X GPU. CPU is the same. Do we have any official spec for the series s gpu? Also ray tracing is a catch all for many different graphics features. The S could easily have the bare minimum of these features so it can be marketed as featuring ray tracing.

Not saying you could build a PC for 300 capable but think its a tad pre mature to proclaiming it a miracle at €300

This is especially true with the new gen of GPUs launching,prices for the 20 series from Nvidia have skewed everything so things look like great value compared to it. The 20 series is an outlier regarding GPU prices,they gouged while they had no competition. I think the console GPUs should be compared to the 30 series. Which will be launched before the consoles,well part of the range anyway.

No miracles expected on this end :) Im sure the limitations of the S will become apparent soon, and especially as the next gen goes on. The gulf between it and the X price-wise is too big for compromises not to have been made.

I just do think it’s important to stress consoles have a major hardware price advantage over PC. 300 quid is an incredibly attractive entry point for a machine capable of playing the latest games. Whereas a 30xx series GPU alone will cost you at least that (closer to 500 for the 3070, we’ll see where any 50/60 models land).

I’d always encourage anyone interested in gaming to have their own PC - it’s the best way to experience most games, and there are big software price advantages (although GamePass has levelled and changed the playing field). But 300 quid for a next gen console (even with the inevitable limitations) vs 300 quid for a GPU alone is a no-brainer for many. And I certainly can see why. I don’t think they’re equivalent deals.

• Advertisement

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    Saw this on Reddit :pac:

I had a peek recently into some reddit gaming subs and dear lord ... what a sess pool! [can't say I expected any better tbh] - are they just try harding on there these days to be the next 4chan or something? every other post was just a meme

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement