Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gaming News

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,041 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I was going to upgrade my GPU, but the Series S for the same money just seems like the better option. As people mentioning above, a €300 GPU is nothing to write home about, and I'll have to upgrade the RAM too (only have 8Gb), so that's more money, and then all the fiddling with settings to get the resolution/fps just right... Turning on a box, selecting a game and playing is a lot more appealing!

I had no intention of getting Xbox anything, but the XSS is very, very tempting! If they bring in the All Access over here, I'd probably splash on a XSX, but if they don't, the XSS is definitely the more appealing option to me (instead of a GPU) right now... The only thing swaying me towards the GPU is a bigger library of games (I'll probably never play) and that Gamespass for PC is €4 a month...

Still getting a PS5 though, first and foremost.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

Pumping more money into a PC is worth it if you tend to use it for much more than gaming. I spend more time for example processing images than I do gaming, and programs like Lightroom and Photoshop can be quite power hungry [more so on the cpu side the more cores the better] - but they can utilise the Vram from your gpu also to speed things up further. Gaming is just a side bonus for me really, used to play a LOT more but I'm older and a lot slower now :D so very casual gaming is all I need. Still like the idea of having one of these new fancy consoles under the 43" tv though. You can't beat a console, even the older ones [like my still kicking 360] for gaming with friends and family. Nobody wants to sit huddled around your PC for times like that - have tried, but ended up unhooking everything and dragging the PC to the Tv room [I only have a 22" monitor for the PC atm] - I think it's a great idea for families with kids for Christmas, which is what I might just do [will really just be a gift to myself]

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Arcadeheroes

There are lots of benefits to having a gaming pc , but I noticed for the last few years alot has changed that it can sometimes be quite annoying given the change of the Pc platform .

Instead of everything being under one application platform (Steam) you have too many Publishers branching off making their own stores : Origin, Blizzard , UPLAY/GOG /Epic Game Store. it got very annoying and messy having to download all these webstores just to play a game but luckily for the last year or two now EA and Ubisoft have brought back their games to steam but now you have Epic holding games hostage for a year which is frustrating if you dont want to use the store .

In terms of games being cheaper on PC compared to consoles , I really do not notice that much of a difference nowadays compared back to 2012-13. I remembered I bought huge selection of games from Humble Bundle next to nothing and steam sales were so incredible , but for quite awhile now I noticed steam sales and the sales on Playstation are pretty neck to neck.

One of the main reasons why I never solely played games on PC was I do not want to wait possibly a year or more just for the possibility of a game to come to pc just to play the best version of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,576 ✭✭✭EoinHef

No miracles expected on this end :) Im sure the limitations of the S will become apparent soon, and especially as the next gen goes on. The gulf between it and the X price-wise is too big for compromises not to have been made.

I just do think it’s important to stress consoles have a major hardware price advantage over PC. 300 quid is an incredibly attractive entry point for a machine capable of playing the latest games. Whereas a 30xx series GPU alone will cost you at least that (closer to 500 for the 3070, we’ll see where any 50/60 models land).

I’d always encourage anyone interested in gaming to have their own PC - it’s the best way to experience most games, and there are big software price advantages (although GamePass has levelled and changed the playing field). But 300 quid for a next gen console (even with the inevitable limitations) vs 300 quid for a GPU alone is a no-brainer for many. And I certainly can see why. I don’t think they’re equivalent deals.

Cant embed as I'm on mobile but the pic is the spec sheet comparing the S and X,thats quite the hit on GPU power.

Looks to be pretty similar to the GPU in the PS4 Pro.....not really next gen GPU. Slower memory aswell and less of it too. The SSD and the new CPU are nice upgrades though. I can't see how it won't be GPU bottlenecked.

Ye get what ye pay for. Id love to see how a 3300X and a RX 590 would perform against it.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,097 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

EoinHef wrote: »
    Cant embed as I'm on mobile but the pic is the spec sheet comparing the S and X,thats quite the hit on GPU power.

Looks to be pretty similar to the GPU in the PS4 Pro.....not really next gen GPU. Slower memory aswell and less of it too. The SSD and the new CPU are nice upgrades though. I can't see how it won't be GPU bottlenecked.

Ye get what ye pay for. Id love to see how a 3300X and a RX 590 would perform against it.

When they announced the S they said it'd be more powerful than the One X, which is already more powerful than the Pro.

Nobody will know until it's out though and someone like Digital Foundry put it through it's paces.

You won't build a PC with a 3300X and a 590 for €300 either though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,004 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

The new Prince of Persia game looks like it's a remake. Hopefully this is just a mobile game
    https://twitter.com/Nibellion/status/1303990105456156675?s=19

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,455 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Had to happen eventually, after well over a year of silly value: GamePass PC price is doubling as the beta period ends.

€5 a month has been pretty great. €10 is more realistic (and good value for the current selection, no doubt), although also at that point where you might drop out if you weren’t using it quite as much. A fiver was definitely the ‘I don’t even care if I don’t use it this month’ sweet spot.

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2020/09/10/xbox-game-pass-for-pcs-price-is-going-up-next-week/

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

The new Prince of Persia game looks like it's a remake. Hopefully this is just a mobile game
    https://twitter.com/Nibellion/status/1303990105456156675?s=19

Looks pretty rough, should run fine on switch at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

I replayed the PoP trilogy on PC recently. The series doesn't require a remake and visually it was more charming than what I just saw above.

As for subscription game services I'm completely averse to them but I can see their use. If you have kids who require constant novelty or don't really care about a long term license for the games. Lots of people play modern titles then move on to the next thing. I'm personally all over the place, playing anything from an old and niche DOS game to the latest AAA titles and everything in between. So subscription services don't really appeal to me and they tend to come from companies I've already long boycotted anyway. Their DRM tends to be more strict which can harm modding or even just tinkering and overall they're similar to TV subscription services in that they encourage constant consumption rather than selected experiences. I've seen how easy it is to just watch whatever because netflix is launched on the big HDTV. I'd rather select a game that really appeals to me and then have a permanent license for.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

EoinHef wrote: »

If you're only looking at the TFLOPS you're not getting it.
    PS4 Pro GPU is a bit slower than an RX 470 & hampered by its 911MHz clock speed, XSS will be be 72% faster by clockspeed alone.

As well as that, its architecture is GCN2.0 which is from 2013.
    Compared to RDNA2 it simply will get dusted - take a look at this GCN vs RDNA1 article and then understand that RDNA2 is supposedly a 50% uplift from RDNA1.

Also the memory in PS4 Pro is slower than XSS (GDDR5 -> GDDR6).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭ahnowbrowncow

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    If you're only looking at the TFLOPS you're not getting it.
    PS4 Pro GPU is a bit slower than an RX 470 & hampered by its 911MHz clock speed, XSS will be be 72% faster by clockspeed alone.

As well as that, its architecture is GCN2.0 which is from 2013.
    Compared to RDNA2 it simply will get dusted - take a look at this GCN vs RDNA1 article and then understand that RDNA2 is supposedly a 50% uplift from RDNA1.

Also the memory in PS4 Pro is slower than XSS (GDDR5 -> GDDR6).

Comparing clockspeed by itself is fairly meaningless, you also have to look at the total number of shaders.

PS4 pro has 36 CU x 64 shaders x 911mhz x 2 = 4.197 teraflops
    Xbox Series S 20 CU X 64 X 1.565ghz x 2 = 4.006 teraflops

So theoretically the PS4 pro has more computational power but as you said architecture improvements and faster memory means it is highly likely to perform better. Plus a much improved CPU should mean the PS4 Pro will fall well behind.

The performance between the Series S and the Xb one X will be interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,366 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Apparently Amazon in Japan leaked the release date for the PS5. November 20th.

No confirmation on price though

Zero Latency in Dublin will be getting this new vr experience

• Registered Users Posts: 11,943 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

I wonder how many mods they have for squashing all of the comments about sexual harassment.

I wonder how many mods they have for squashing all of the comments about sexual harassment.

None, plenty of it in the chat on there.

Not a company I want to support tbh, and from what I've seen there's nothing really amazing in that showcase

None, plenty of it in the chat on there.

Not a company I want to support tbh, and from what I've seen there's nothing really amazing in that showcase

Yeah this showcase was a complete waste of time

• Registered Users Posts: 33,737 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Pity they didn't have time in that event for Yves Guillemot's apology video even though there was no time limit on their own event which they control and could have edited the video in at any point instead of showing multiple trailers for the same game.

Who at Ubisoft ok's stuff like Rider Republic, Steep & The Club but says nah to a new Splinter Cell instead putting Sam Fisher into whatever game they want.

The Prince of Persia remake (again) looks like something that you'd imagine was years from release or released 8 years ago.

They gave people the Scotty Pilgrim game again though so that will please some.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,178 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

PoP looks crap for a remake.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,103 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

The worst thing about that PoP remake isn't the game itself, but apparently they're testing the waters to see if there's any interest in the franchise.
    In other words, if they don't make a new game it's because not enough people bought an old game that those interested in it bought when it was originally released. While some fans may buy it to replay, graphics don't look good enough to attract those unfamiliar with the franchise.
    So it'll be our fault.
    Spyro and Crash got their trilogies remade but PoP gets this

• Registered Users Posts: 6,495 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

How does PoP looks so bad?

How does PoP looks so bad?

Probably because the project is likely understaffed. They have 4 big open world games in Watch Dogs Legion, AC Valhalla, Immortals and Riders Republic coming out in the next 6 months as well as lightly supporting other games like Siege, Ghost Recon, Hyper Scape and For Honor. They also have Beyond Good and Evil 2 and Skull & Bones in development too.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,842 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Ubi dev: "you know what fans of the watch dogs series would love? The chance to play as Aidan Pearce in Legion as a continuation from the 1st game"

Ubi exec: "great idea! But only make him available in the season pass so we can make more money out of the fans who have been with us from the start"

**** sake Ubi.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,587 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

Will they not just let Ghost Recon die? It's been a zombie game since Future Soldier anyway. Also, The Sands of Time remake looks like ass. Re-releasing the Scott Pilgrim game is the only thing there that intirested me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Markitron

PoP looks bad, but if it plays the same then I am sure I will enjoy it. Gonna wait for the reviews and word of mouth on that one.
    CastorTroy wrote: »
    The worst thing about that PoP remake isn't the game itself, but apparently they're testing the waters to see if there's any interest in the franchise.
    In other words, if they don't make a new game it's because not enough people bought an old game that those interested in it bought when it was originally released. While some fans may buy it to replay, graphics don't look good enough to attract those unfamiliar with the franchise.
    So it'll be our fault.
    Spyro and Crash got their trilogies remade but PoP gets this

This is Ubisoft's MO, they do this all the ****ing time, most notably with Beyond Good and Evil HD.

I remember seeing early previews for BG&E 2 and they were atrocious, looked nothing like the original in any way, like a completely non related game. The voice acting was awful and riddled with forced swearing for the sake of it, seemed at the time [about 3 years ago now] they were try harding to be controversial with it ... or just p*ss off fans of the original for whatever reason

I remember seeing early previews for BG&E 2 and they were atrocious, looked nothing like the original in any way, like a completely non related game. The voice acting was awful and riddled with forced swearing for the sake of it, seemed at the time [about 3 years ago now] they were try harding to be controversial with it ... or just p*ss off fans of the original for whatever reason

The fact that they seemed to be turning it into some weird GAAS was the worst part, made weirder by then getting Jospeh Gordon Levitt onstage at E3 to announce some scheme to get the fans to do unpaid art design for the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭SomeSayKos

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    Ubi dev: "you know what fans of the watch dogs series would love? The chance to play as Aidan Pearce in Legion as a continuation from the 1st game"

Ubi exec: "great idea! But only make him available in the season pass so we can make more money out of the fans who have been with us from the start"

**** sake Ubi.
    I think Aidan Pearce is the worst main video game character of the decade. I actually chuckled when I saw that you could only unlock him with a season pass.

• Advertisement

SomeSayKos wrote: »
    I think Aidan Pearce is the worst main video game character of the decade. I actually chuckled when I saw that you could only unlock him with a season pass.

You are probably on the money with that, but I hated Lara from the new TR games more. Say what you want about Aiden Pierce, at least he wasn't shouting 'JOOOONNNNAAAAAAHHHH' every 5 bastard seconds. He also didn't sob at killing an animal before going on a murderous Rambo-style rampage 2 minutes later.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement