Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gaming News

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭McFly85

I was surprised by that, strange blurring of the generational lines by Microsoft. I think most people would assume that any new console would be more powerful than one released a few years back.

I wonder if it’s subsidising the Series X price? 300 for a console they can make a profit on while selling the premium one at a loss.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,102 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

I suppose the real test will be testing cross platform releases on both the One X and Series S and check performance outside of resolution

• Registered Users Posts: 6,468 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

Why do you think it's called the Series S? It's the next evolution of the S range!

And the Series X is the next evolution in the X range.

The XSS isn't designed to beat the XOX, it's designed to be a better S product.

It's budget vs premium but they aren't gonna call it that :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

marcbrophy wrote: »
    Why do you think it's called the Series S? It's the next evolution of the S range!

And the Series X is the next evolution in the X range.

The XSS isn't designed to beat the XOX, it's designed to be a better S product.

It's budget vs premium but they aren't gonna call it that :D

I think some of the press have been seeing it as a 1440p version of the Xbox Series X the last few days so Microsoft have tried to get on top of those stories now.

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭panevthe3rd

My mother who would have zero interest or knowledge of these things was trying to tell me Microsoft are bringing out a console for kids.

Worked out after ahwile she was taking about the Series S.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,841 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Gotta hand it to Microsoft with the marketing. People think the S is just a cheaper X, all the next gen goodness for 200 cheaper and at the same time will complain about how the ps5 diskless console is a lot dearer even though they are 2 different beasts.

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭panevthe3rd

If the marketing people have managed to make my mother aware of it they deserve the win.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭McFly85

https://twitter.com/playstation/status/1304768250400530432?s=21

So we’ll find out Sony’s plans on Wednesday. I would guess that the digital only will be the same price or slightly cheaper than the series X and the one with the optical drive will be more expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,834 ✭✭✭Greyfox

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    Gotta hand it to Microsoft with the marketing. People think the S is just a cheaper X, all the next gen goodness for 200 cheaper and at the same time will complain about how the ps5 diskless console is a lot dearer even though they are 2 different beasts.

Well in fairness the series S is still a next gen console that will play the latest games, it remains to be seen just how much better the games on series x will look on a standard smart tv. If PS5 diskless is €400 that €100 difference will be big in the eyes of more casual gamers

• Registered Users Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

People who don't know the differences won't care either way, they'll be happier with the savings. I think only the most hardcore gamer will actually notice the differences in the games themselves if any

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,352 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

McFly85 wrote: »
    I wonder if it’s subsidising the Series X price? 300 for a console they can make a profit on while selling the premium one at a loss.

Seems like they're taking a bigger loss on the S than the X, actually.

Mass Effect Trilogy Expanded Edition Artbook available to preorder and releasing in march 2021.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Art-Mass-Effect-Trilogy-Expanded-ebook/dp/B08D8JM88J

Mass Effect: The Complete Comics available to preorder and releasing on 5th November this year.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Mass-Effect-Complete-Mac-Walters/dp/1506719198/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=Mass+Effect%3A+The+Complete+Comics&qid=1599984861&sr=8-1

I can smell the Trilogy Remaster!!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,352 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Mass Effect Trilogy Expanded Edition Artbook available to preorder and releasing in march 2021.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Art-Mass-Effect-Trilogy-Expanded-ebook/dp/B08D8JM88J

Mass Effect: The Complete Comics available to preorder and releasing on 5th November this year.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Mass-Effect-Complete-Mac-Walters/dp/1506719198/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=Mass+Effect%3A+The+Complete+Comics&qid=1599984861&sr=8-1

I can smell the Trilogy Remaster!!

Huh. Almost certainly unrelated, but the Mass Effect games were updated on Xbox just there too.

This is a clear instant buy for me.

CatInABox wrote: »
    Huh. Almost certainly unrelated, but the Mass Effect games were updated on Xbox just there too.

This is a clear instant buy for me.

Interesting, any patch notes at all? Why would the originals get updates.

Interesting, any patch notes at all? Why would the originals get updates.

Pretty sure it's just an update to the BC wrapper, so it's nothing to do with EA. Well, probably anyway. Just saw it crop up on my recently installed list, and for the first time in a long time, I started up a play through of ME1.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,918 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Mr Crispy wrote: »
    The release dates for Spelunky 2 have been announced;

PS4 - Sep 15th
    PC - Sep 29th.

Currently at 91 on Metacritic. Roll on the 29th!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,366 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Mr Crispy wrote: »
    Currently at 91 on Metacritic. Roll on the 29th!

Never played the first but this looks hella fun

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,573 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Played the first game but found it too punishing for me, too much the wrong side of "tough shít you start again" without any feeling of actually advancing.

Also never liked the art style, which is an even more subjective issue of course. Just something about it looked like cheap stock cartoons :shrug:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,918 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Vicxas wrote: »
    Never played the first but this looks hella fun

Loved the first, and this is apparently a worthy successor.
    pixelburp wrote: »
    Played the first game but found it too punishing for me, too much the wrong side of "tough shít you start again" without any feeling of actually advancing.

Also never liked the art style, which is an even more subjective issue of course. Just something about it looked like cheap stock cartoons :shrug:

526319.jpg

Ah, I get you though re: the difficulty - I would occasionally leave it for days at a time after becoming frustrated with it. But I always went back to it - just so much to discover.

In actual news, the Asus ROG brand are teasing a collaboration with...... Ikea. :confused: So tacky, overpriced gaming shite that you have to put together yourself!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,004 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

pixelburp wrote: »

It's one of those games you just tip away at between games. Absolutely nothing unfair about it as well. Once you start learning the game you start seeing the rules it plays by. The fact that games only last about 5-10 minutes means I never found it aggravating and once you realise there's way more to the game and it starts opening up then you are hooked. You end up enjoying the silly deaths, it's always your fault.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,866 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

Xbox cloud Gaming launches tomorrow, it is free with Game Pass Ultimate (so not technically "free" but a nice add on).

Day 1 it has 167 games and pretty much kills Stadia off.

https://news.xbox.com/en-us/2020/09/14/cloud-gaming-with-xbox-game-pass-ultimate/

• Registered Users Posts: 15,366 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Sony has cut their launch production estimates to 11 million units, down 4 million due to a chip issue.

Bloomberg is also rumouring the PS5 price to be $399 discless and $449 disc version.

https://www.bloomberg.co.jp/news/articles/2020-09-15/QGFJPPDWLU6M01

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Markitron

Vicxas wrote: »
    Sony has cut their launch production estimates to 11 million units, down 4 million due to a chip issue.

Bloomberg is also rumouring the PS5 price to be $399 discless and $449 disc version.

https://www.bloomberg.co.jp/news/articles/2020-09-15/QGFJPPDWLU6M01

I just can't see them going that cheap with the disc version, at least all of this speculation will be over by tomorrow night.

We hope.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Markitron

CastorTroy wrote: »
    We hope.

If they string this out any longer I'm just gonna get a series X. They have pushed it way to far as is.

They'll tease the price and date by releasing a few random numbers which are taken from the date and price

• Registered Users Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

It's almost as if they have some really bad news and don't know how to tell us.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

Its hard to know what to make of that really,
    on the tinfoil hat front, you could assume that there's no shortage, and they're using the threat of scarce supply to drive preorders, and on the other hand, you could think that they cant get within the 500 euro mark to match the series X, and are revising sales figures? *edited as i misread OP.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,737 ✭✭✭✭Penn

gimli2112 wrote: »
    It's almost as if they have some really bad news and don't know how to tell us.

If the prices are as reported by Bloomberg, that's really good news. Cheaper than the Series X, and the diskless is 100 more than the Series S but without lower specs. If the prices are the same as the Series X (minus 50quid for diskless), it's neither good nor bad news so no reason for delay either.

I think it was just a case of who'll blink first, and will the other then take the hit and purposefully undercut the other. But it just all went on far too long.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement