Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gaming News

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭quokula

Its hard to know what to make of that really,
    on the tinfoil hat front, you could assume that there's no shortage, and they're using the threat of scarce supply to drive preorders, and on the other hand, you could think that they cant get within the 500 euro mark to match the series X, and are revising sales figures? either way, 11 million, down to 4 is a crazy shortfall, practically 2 thirds lower than expected.

It's down by 4 million, not down to 4 million. 15 million to 11 million.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭quokula

Penn wrote: »
    If the prices are as reported by Bloomberg, that's really good news. Cheaper than the Series X, and the diskless is 100 more than the Series S but without lower specs. If the prices are the same as the Series X (minus 50quid for diskless), it's neither good nor bad news so no reason for delay either.

I think it was just a case of who'll blink first, and will the other then take the hit and purposefully undercut the other. But it just all went on far too long.

People seem to be reading into it way too much in my opinion. The iPhone 12 is only expected to be announced by Apple tonight, and it will likely be released well before the PS5. No release date or price for that yet, but nobody is obsessing over it in the same way. Nvidia's new GPUs are out on Thursday, and they were only announced a couple of weeks ago. Again nobody was reading hidden meanings from that. There's no reason to announce these things many months in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Markitron

quokula wrote: »
    People seem to be reading into it way too much in my opinion. The iPhone 12 is only expected to be announced by Apple tonight, and it will likely be released well before the PS5. No release date or price for that yet, but nobody is obsessing over it in the same way. Nvidia's new GPUs are out on Thursday, and they were only announced a couple of weeks ago. Again nobody was reading hidden meanings from that. There's no reason to announce these things many months in advance.

Yea I think it is because game consoles have had a traditional announcement=>launch cycle and now they are finally breaking it. We are used to finding out the details 6 months in advance so a bit of moaning is to be expected this go around.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,737 ✭✭✭✭Penn

quokula wrote: »

I agree with Markitron, numerous phones are released every year and are fairly interchangeable. Next-gen console releases are few and far between and have a much more specific market. I agree we don't need info too far in advance, but we're within two months of release and the info may change which console many may opt for.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,468 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

There's a reason why MS's price reveal had "ERP" (estimated retail price) in the picture!
    If Sony's machine comes in at 449, MS will shift their price too!

Just my opinion of course :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

marcbrophy wrote: »
    There's a reason why MS's price reveal had "ERP" (estimated retail price) in the picture!
    If Sony's machine comes in at 449, MS will shift their price too!

Just my opinion of course :)

I think you are reading into that too much.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,468 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I think you are reading into that too much.

Anything's possible dude!
    Probable, maybe not :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,918 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

So Immortals Fenyx Rising had to change its name from Gods and Monsters because of a trademark claim by Monster Energy drinks. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 29,841 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Mr Crispy wrote: »
    So Immortals Fenyx Rising had to change its name from Gods and Monsters because of a trademark claim by Monster Energy drinks. :rolleyes:

Seems legit

8c87dca2-defc-4d6d-a9d1-668996979903_EA2xa8hUYAAeL2G.jpeg

• Registered Users Posts: 29,102 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

If that's the case Monster drinks is lucky Disney didn't go after them due to Monsters Inc.
    I understand logos or coined words, but how do you trademark a word that has been around a long time? Is it just no on thought to trademark it?
    Think I'll trademark the letter 'i' and all its variations, though Apple probably already did that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,539 ✭✭✭✭Varik

CastorTroy wrote: »
    If that's the case Monster drinks is lucky Disney didn't go after them due to Monsters Inc.
    I understand logos or coined words, but how do you trademark a word that has been around a long time? Is it just no on thought to trademark it?
    Think I'll trademark the letter 'i' and all its variations, though Apple probably already did that

You don't, which is why they've lost a load of their lawsuits for "Monster" the letter "M" and the word "Beast.

They just sue and the other side usually can't afford to fight back so they do as they're told.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

It's not new to games. There's a bellend going around suing every single videogame released with edge in the title because of some game he made in his bedroom on the ZX spectrum. I wish Ubisoft had the balls to take monster to the cleaners but the lawsuit would have held up release no doubt.

It's not new to games. There's a bellend going around suing every single videogame released with edge in the title because of some game he made in his bedroom on the ZX spectrum. I wish Ubisoft had the balls to take monster to the cleaners but the lawsuit would have held up release no doubt.

Some French guy wasn't it? Didn't someone like EA finally put him in his place?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭The Raging Bile Duct

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Aw man, that was a wild ride back in 2010...
    Rev. Tim Langdell is a healthcare chaplain and Zen Buddhist priest based in Southern California. A Zen master teacher, he also serves as the abbot for the Pasadena Zen Center. In addition, Rev. Tim Langdell holds a Master of Divinity from the Claremont School of Theology, which he obtained in 2015.
    This, however, wasn't the epilogue I was expecting.

Announced yesterday, Shiren 5 is being released from it's Vita jail and coming in English to the Switch and PC in December

I've heard it's pretty much the best Rogue/Mystery Dungeon game you can play.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,004 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

Sony has reached out to GamesIndustry.biz with the following statement denying the Bloomberg report:

“While we do not release details related to manufacturing, the information provided by Bloomberg is false," the statement reads.

"We have not changed the production number for PlayStation 5 since the start of mass production."

https://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2020-09-15-sony-reportedly-cuts-ps5-production-by-4m-units

I'm glad they said something. Bloomberg were the only ones reporting on these fluctuating production targets... Was starting to look like clickbait.

So the prices they gave were likely wrong as well.
    Or maybe this is Sony saying "Oh we always meant to make 11 million"

This has potential (Starward Industries comprises former CDPR and Techland employees).

https://twitter.com/StarwardInd/status/1305885176543801345?s=20

• Advertisement

I'm glad they said something. Bloomberg were the only ones reporting on these fluctuating production targets... Was starting to look like clickbait.

Honestly think sony is talking ****e and pushed production back as demand will have gone down due to covid-19

Honestly think sony is talking ****e and pushed production back as demand will have gone down due to covid-19

Maybe. I think more outlets would have heard the rumours if they were true, but it's seemingly just Bloomberg reporting it (as far as I can see). And they've published unverified (and ultimately fake) stories in the past.

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭earthwormjack

Maybe. I think more outlets would have heard the rumours if they were true, but it's seemingly just Bloomberg reporting it (as far as I can see). And they've published unverified (and ultimately fake) stories in the past.

Takashi Mochizuki is generally pretty reliable though and doesn't report clickbait stuff.

I very much doubt if it is happening it's due to production issues. I think like the PS4 there will be no major shortages of the consoles and they will be very well stocked.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,352 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

I very much doubt if it is happening it's due to production issues. I think like the PS4 there will be no major shortages of the consoles and they will be very well stocked.

The reporting on this has a kind of timeline, basically starting out with Sony making 5 million by Christmas, which was then doubled to 10 million (actually due to Covid, gaming demand has gone through the roof during the pandemic), and now this report of 15 million by March being reduced to 11 million by March.

I'll note that the Sony rebuttal comes with the caveat of "since we started mass production". Could have changed the day before. Highly unlikely, I think, but it's possible.

Anyway, I agree with you, I really doubt that there'll be any shortage at all, of any of the consoles, and that's all that really matters at the end of the day.

In a double whammy news update covering 'gamers are the absolute worst' and 'no ****, Sherlock' news:

It seems certain sections of the internet are up in arms because dataminers have discovered that the Mario 3D All Stars games are running under emulators. Pointing towards emulators developed by Nintendo Europe.

I'm wondering what they actually expected to find? Source ports?

In a double whammy news update covering 'gamers are the absolute worst' and 'no ****, Sherlock' news:

It seems certain sections of the internet are up in arms because dataminers have discovered that the Mario 3D All Stars games are running under emulators. Pointing towards emulators developed by Nintendo Europe.

I'm wondering what they actually expected to find? Source ports?

I am in no way defending Nintendo here, I think this collection is a shambles tbh, but this is clearly just a bunch of morons taking any piece of information and fitting it into their narrative.

Seems like emulation = bad cos reasons, is all the thought they put into this argument.

People on the Internet found something to complain about? Shocking! Now I'm off to splash around in puddles in Spider-man

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

Nintendo was very aggressive against emulation and other legal issues yet I remember one of their official releases used a literal pirated copy. Me thinks people are angry at the double standard and hypocrisy of Nintendo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭earthwormjack

Nintendo was very aggressive against emulation and other legal issues yet I remember one of their official releases used a literal pirated copy. Me thinks people are angry at the double standard and hypocrisy of Nintendo.

From what I remember they hired the guy who worked on the emulator. They never downloaded a rom from the internet and sold it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement