Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gaming News

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,841 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Penn wrote: »
    Yeah they're not a studio whose games I've played really. Tried Fallout 3 and Skyrim but couldn't get into them. Haven't played Doom either. But can definitely see a lot of people being upset if those games become Xbox exclusive.

Suddenly Spider-Man being exclusive to the PS version of Avengers doesn't seem like that big a deal.

I'd take Spiderman over the whole Bethesda catalogue but that's just me. Now, if bigwigs can stop with these takeovers please as before a studio i love makes the move and the PS5 is fecking massive already, no way I could fit an X Series X Box X as well.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I'd be more interested in the franchises outside of the main bethesda studio. Dishonored and Doom are massive gets and that tech team at Id are masters of making modern engines.

Thought they would be getting Arkane as well but they are independent from Bethesda.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Ghostwire Tokyo and Deathloop were shown as timed PS5 and PC exclusives, it will be interesting to see how they pan out.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,352 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Presumably all their games coming to game pass as well. Wouldn't be too surprised to see a price rise in the next year or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭fifth

Massive win for Microsoft. Fallout, Doom, Prey, Elder Scrolls, Wolfenstein are my favourite games of the last generation. This is huge news. These games are bigger than any PS exclusives. (And more interesting to me, but that's a personal opinion). While the concept of exclusives is not a great one for gamers, I am delighted to see Xbox fire back in a meaningful way at Sony paying for timed exclusives. Getting interesting now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭JimBurnley

Xenji wrote: »
    Ghostwire Tokyo and Deathloop were shown as timed PS5 and PC exclusives, it will be interesting to see how they pan out.

Deathloop is the one that got my attention in the recent ps5 shows. I assume this will still be out on ps5 as planned

• Registered Users Posts: 33,737 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I'd be more interested in the franchises outside of the main bethesda studio. Dishonored and Doom are massive gets and that tech team at Id are masters of making modern engines.

Thought they would be getting Arkane as well but they are independent from Bethesda.

Are you sure? Arkane's logo is shown on the image posted on the MS link I posted, I would presume that meant they were included with the deal

• Registered Users Posts: 7,605 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

Retr0gamer wrote: »

The announcement has Arkane listed in the studios being acquired in the banner image.
    JimBurnley wrote: »
    Deathloop is the one that got my attention in the recent ps5 shows. I assume this will still be out on ps5 as planned

It is still being released on PS5, as are Ghostwire, Doom Eternal and Elder Scrolls Online.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,352 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

And in the press release itself:

The planned acquisition includes publishing offices and development studios spanning the globe with over 2,300 employees, including Bethesda Softworks, Bethesda Game Studios, id Software, ZeniMax Online Studios, Arkane, MachineGames, Tango Gameworks, Alpha Dog, and Roundhouse Studios. Bethesda’s critically acclaimed and best-selling franchises include The Elder Scrolls, Fallout, DOOM, Quake, Wolfenstein, and Dishonored, among others.

• Administrators Posts: 53,843 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Microsoft not messing around with the launch of this generation anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Ok, Arkane as well.... that's another awesome studio.

I presume that this will work the same way as it did with the Rare acquisition. Rare were allowed to finish Starfox Adventures for Nintendo as it was already in production to future games were XBox exclusive.

So Deathloop might be the last Arkane game for a Sony console

Actually.... I'd love to see Arkane get the budget and stability that the studio deserves.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,936 ✭✭✭rizzla

MS could really make a pretty cool Smash Bro's rip off now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭The Raging Bile Duct

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    I'd take Spiderman over the whole Bethesda catalogue but that's just me. Now, if bigwigs can stop with these takeovers please as before a studio i love makes the move and the PS5 is fecking massive already, no way I could fit an X Series X Box X as well.

Spiderman, after the initial buzz of webbing around New York, is a pretty dull open world game and it's probably my least favourite of the big name Sony exclusives. Give me anything from Arkane Studios over that. Well apart from Youngblood which was seriously shít. Also, I loved the Evil Within series. I'd be so pissed if another one of them came out and it was exclusive to Xbox.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,655 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

I wouldn't be surprised to see Microsoft to take a route that involves no platform exclusives here. Instead, offer the games for €70 a pop on PlayStation or included for nothing extra with your Game Pass Ultimate subscription.

That's the play here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,936 ✭✭✭rizzla

MJohnston wrote: »
    I wouldn't be surprised to see Microsoft to take a route that involves no platform exclusives here. Instead, offer the games for €70 a pop on PlayStation or included for nothing extra with your Game Pass Ultimate subscription.

That's the play here.

Playstation have EA Play. Imagine if xbox brought their subscription model to playstation. Sony have dismissed doing it themselves.

rizzla wrote: »
    Playstation have EA Play. Imagine if xbox brought their subscription model to playstation. Sony have dismissed doing it themselves.

As long as Sony don't do an Apple, I could 100% see Microsoft bringing Game Pass Ultimate to PlayStation.

Hardware is a mugs game these days, it's ALL about services.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,178 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

I was gonna wait 6-12 months to get a PS5. We'll see how that plays out now. I want to see each console after a year and then I'll make my decision. Both of them have fúck all at launch to tempt me.
    fifth wrote: »
    Massive win for Microsoft. Fallout, Doom, Prey, Elder Scrolls, Wolfenstein are my favourite games of the last generation. This is huge news. These games are bigger than any PS exclusives. (And more interesting to me, but that's a personal opinion). While the concept of exclusives is not a great one for gamers, I am delighted to see Xbox fire back in a meaningful way at Sony paying for timed exclusives. Getting interesting now.

Prey and Wolfenstein are bigger than God of War, Last of Us, Spiderman, Bloodborne etc? G'way.

J. Marston wrote: »
    Prey and Wolfenstein are bigger than God of War, Last of Us, Spiderman, Bloodborne etc? G'way.

In fairness, doesn't seem legit to drop Doom, Elder Scrolls, and Fallout from that comparison.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Markitron

Its big, but I don't think its anywhere near as big as it would have been 5 years ago.
    In fairness, doesn't seem legit to drop Doom, Elder Scrolls, and Fallout from that comparison.

Personally I think Doom Eternal was a huge step down from the previous one, Bethesda have massively damaged the Fallout brand in recent years and there is likely to be a 14 year gap between ES5 and ES6.

They are big franchises no doubt, but far away from what they used to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,178 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Because they are bigger or as big in some cases but Wolfenstein and Prey? Prey?! As big as any PS exclusives? Come on now.

• Advertisement

J. Marston wrote: »
    Because they are bigger or as big in some cases but Wolfenstein and Prey? Prey?! As big as any PS exclusives? Come on now.

I mean I'd say Wolfenstein is certainly bigger than Bloodborne — but my point is that I don't think the original poster was intending to suggest that all those games were bigger than the PS ones.

I think the only Sony franchise that's bigger than Elder Scrolls is actually Gran Turismo.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,841 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

I personally look forward to not having to worry about Todd Howard in his sexy leather jacket lying to me about how great the lighting in his next game will look.

Also, "Bethesda lineup better than Sony exclusive lineup"...

source.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭McFly85

I mean I'd say Wolfenstein is certainly bigger than Bloodborne — but my point is that I don't think the original poster was intending to suggest that all those games were bigger than the PS ones.

I think the only Sony franchise that's bigger than Elder Scrolls is actually Gran Turismo.

I wouldn’t consider wolfenstein to be bigger than Bloodborne, I know there’s been a couple of games this gen but haven’t played them or known anyone who has. Bloodborne is widely considered to be one of the greatest games of the past few years-I would say there’d be way more hype for a Bloodborne 2 than a new wolfenstein.

McFly85 wrote: »
    I wouldn’t consider wolfenstein to be bigger than Bloodborne, I know there’s been a couple of games this gen but haven’t played them or known anyone who has. Bloodborne is widely considered to be one of the greatest games of the past few years-I would say there’d be way more hype for a Bloodborne 2 than a new wolfenstein.

It would help to know what you're meaning by 'bigger' here really. I don't think Bloodborne tops the Wolfenstein franchise for sales, for example, even if you only restrict it to The New Order and The New Colossus

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Wish it was Valve buying those studios. Still feel a lot of Microsoft studio games are a bit rushed to market and their QA is wanting.
    That Bethesda Creation engine needs to go straight into the fu*king bin anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Markitron

McFly85 wrote: »

I suppose it depends on how you define it, I would imagine Wolfenstein outsold BB last gen.
    It would help to know what you're meaning by 'bigger' here really. I don't think Bloodborne tops the Wolfenstein franchise for sales, for example, even if you only restrict it to The New Order and The New Colossus

In the context of this discussion, I would define the bigger game as the one more likely to shift consoles as an exclusive to one platform.

In that regard, Bloodborne is almost certainly the bigger game IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Zero-Cool wrote: »

Also, "Bethesda lineup better than Sony exclusive lineup"...

For people who aren't big fans of high budget third person adventure games (me) I'd actually go along with that statement. Never clicked at all with the likes of God of War, Horizon, Days Gone, etc.

"Better" is very subjective but if I could only play Bethesda games or Sony games, I'd go Bethesda *

* Unless they put out a new Tokyo Jungle.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,444 ✭✭✭recyclops

i always find strange when exclusives gets mentioned the ones that were poorly recieved never get thrown into the mix its probably because when you do the maths the wizard of oz veil falls.

The argument is always 4 games, the last of us, god of war, bloodborne and spiderman and why you should pick up a playstation. There are countless others that are worth playing but really sony have around 90 exclusives so that is a really poor haul of must plays, alot are VR, majority are generic and poor.

the one Sony exclusive i love to play is everybodys golf, countless times its been attempted to be replicated nobody has ever come close sadly

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

That's an absolutely massive acquisition. Biggest ever in gaming? Will be interesting to see how that impacts exclusives, as there are some huge IP's in there. The entire Bethesda range will be on Game Pass as well apparently.

Maybe Microsoft can hire some QA testers and not have Fallout 5 / TES 6 / Starfield be absolute buggy messes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

I think we're all missing out on the big story here.

Bethesda are owned by Microsoft, Obisdian are owned by Microsoft........ Fall Out New Vegas 2.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement