Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gaming News

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

If I wouldn't buy a PS4 for Bloodborne and Nioh and about half a dozen other PS4 exclusive games I'd like to play, I sure as hell wouldn't buy a Wii for a single game. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Links234 wrote: »
    If I wouldn't buy a PS4 for Bloodborne and Nioh and about half a dozen other PS4 exclusive games I'd like to play, I sure as hell wouldn't buy a Wii for a single game. :pac:
    That's why you buy a WiiU for both Bayonettas and all the essential first party Nintendo games for both the Wii and WiiU as well as the bunch of excellent third party games on both platforms. :)

Or I can stick to my guns like the stubborn curmudgeon I am, moan about how games I want to play aren't getting PC releases, and refuse to support folks who don't offer their games cross-platform. Because I'm stubborn, and curmudgeonly. :3

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Or I can stick to my guns like the stubborn curmudgeon I am, moan about how games I want to play aren't getting PC releases, and refuse to support folks who don't offer their games cross-platform. Because I'm stubborn, and curmudgeonly. :3
    I'd totally sympathise if the existence of Bayonetta 2 didn't almost solely rely on the publishing deal Platinum made with Nintendo. Alas it does, so carry on with the curmudgeonry :pac:

gizmo wrote: »
    carry on with the curmudgeonry :pac:

Shall do! ;)

Seriously though, I do understand that exclusive deals can be worth a lot of money to devs, as far as I know Ska Studios got some money from Sony for Salt & Sanctuary so what is easily one of my favourite games of this year probably wouldn't exist without them. But on the other hand, it's a game I never would have played if it weren't for the fact it was released on PC eventually. Never the less, exclusivity rubs me the wrong way, as it's tied to expensive tech. I'm perfectly happy with timed exclusives.

But really, it comes down to practicality and money. I doubt I'll ever own a console, I could just about afford a new graphics card this year, and I don't have a huge amount of space either. I watch Netflix on my PC, you know? So it's not just curmudgeonry, at least not exclusively! :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,458 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

What about all those PC developers who won't release console versions, the dastards :p

What about all those PC developers who won't release console versions, the dastards :p

I kinda feel the same way tbh, and with the amount of indie titles that are making it to console, Hotline Miami, Axoim Verge, whatever else have you, there's little room for excuses. I'm ok with timed exclusives, like how XCom 2 was released on PC first, mind you. Of course, there might be some practical limitations, as in how you get a game designed with keyboard and mouse in mind working on console. But on the whole, I don't like games being tied to a specific platform. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

Rapelay coming to PS4 Neo with PSVR. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Wii U emulation is apparently coming along great.

Might just buy the game if it's playable on normal pad :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

shady as fooook!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,847 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

"I just found this website"

Sorry guys my bad I meant to say founded.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Valve are complicit in all this too.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,539 ✭✭✭✭Varik

ShaneU wrote: »
    "I just found this website"

Sorry guys my bad I meant to say founded.

Guy pass the regular youtuber dodgy dealing by a mile, needs to stop posting videos and get a lawyer.

Disclosure disclosure - gamergate malarkey ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

This isnt gamergate stuff....this is proper lawyer time for him and a potentially massive legal battle for valve.

They are essentially allowing children to gamble....and have been doing it for years. Thats not going to go away and stuff like this just highlights it. "It's not gambling because it's not real money!" doesn't fly when you can sell through steam the stuff you just gambled on.....for real currency.

I remember when counter-strike was like 1.3 and was just about gaming....not about skins.

sigh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

Disclosure disclosure - gamergate malarkey ;)

I watched that video and there wasn't one mention of libtards, SJWs, Zoe Quinn sleeping with 15 reporters, Kotaku, Anita Sarkeesian or hairy-armpitted feminists. So it's not about gamergate, it's only about fraud on a massive level aimed at fleecing kids of their money. Phew…

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

Disclosure =/= Gamergate

Honestly, I like when content providers are up front about deals like that at the start of videos, makes me respect them more

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

I don't know what to make of this story. It's kinda repulsive but I'm somehow not surprised given that most of these guys seem to be poorly disguised shills for companies.
    I am a fan of some YouTube gaming personalities (Super Bunny Hop, Guru Larry and Jim Sterling) but I like their critiquing or saying something different even if I don't always agree. I can't for the life of me understand some channels being so popular.
    Hopefully this gets some attention even if the timing of the story is on an American holiday so not sites are quiet.
    The only thing I learned from Gamer Gate was the term feminazi which I cried laughing at when I saw it in Life is Strange

Kirby wrote: »
    This isnt gamergate stuff....this is proper lawyer time for him and a potentially massive legal battle for valve.

They are essentially allowing children to gamble....and have been doing it for years. Thats not going to go away and stuff like this just highlights it. "It's not gambling because it's not real money!" doesn't fly when you can sell through steam the stuff you just gambled on.....for real currency.

I remember when counter-strike was like 1.3 and was just about gaming....not about skins.

sigh.

Doubt there's much of a problem for valve, none of the gambling is on them. These guys are ****ed, US states are serious when it comes to gambling especially cross state lines and 100% likely without a gambling licences.

Oddly it's the way pachinko works in Japan, the machines don't pay out money for wins but you can go next door to a shop who'll trade the crap for money.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

Cormac... wrote: »
    Disclosure =/= Gamergate

Honestly, I like when content providers are up front about deals like that at the start of videos, makes me respect them more

I don't know how people could have any respect for those two plonkers even if they were originally upfront about their ownership of that website.

Cormac... wrote: »
    Disclosure =/= Gamergate

Sometimes the paid for content is great. I've seen some good videos of guy who'd no idea about world of warships being paid to play it and failing hilariously.

ERG89 wrote: »
    I am a fan of some YouTube gaming personalities (Super Bunny Hop, Guru Larry and Jim Sterling) but I like their critiquing or saying something different even if I don't always agree. I can't for the life of me understand some channels being so popular.

I don't get it either, all the more popular ones just seem to scream into their mics, and I don't get it. Bunnyhop is fantastic, I love youtubers like that who are more indepth in their critiques, and aren't just angry yelling, but pretty much all of the ones I like such as ACG, Noah Gervais, Cool Ghosts, Gamemaker's Toolkit, Ahoy and such. People who really seem to put a lot into it. But then the assholes who're overreacting at Five Nights at Freddy's gets 50 times more subscribers than the lot of them put together. Don't get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

VideoGamer.com are getting in on the piss-take action.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Wow, that is some state felony level stuff right there with unlicenced gambling, the people involved will be very lucky to avoid jail-time. Valve could be coming out of this in a world of trouble too unless they jump ship to the various States' Attorneys and turn grass. Whilst it's a technicality that they don't host the gambling, they're very clearly profiting off it by facilitating sales of these digital goods and taking a commission on each one.

Don't get it.

The answer is pretty simple. It's kids. That's their primary audience.

Shiminay wrote: »
    Wow, that is some state felony level stuff right there with unlicenced gambling, the people involved will be very lucky to avoid jail-time. Valve could be coming out of this in a world of trouble too unless they jump ship to the various States' Attorneys and turn grass. Whilst it's a technicality that they don't host the gambling, they're very clearly profiting off it by facilitating sales of these digital goods and taking a commission on each one.

Looks like Valve are covering their asses
    The answer is pretty simple. It's kids. That's their primary audience.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,743 ✭✭✭✭Penn

CS:GO Lotto allows users to put down real world money for a shot at winning virtual Counter-Strike: GO skins. The skins themselves - earned by paying $2.50 for an unlock key to a random item - can be sold for huge sums, depending on their rarity. Some go for tens of thousands of dollars

tumblr_mwjxfa4XNj1t2actoo1_400.gif

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

I don't get it either, all the more popular ones just seem to scream into their mics, and I don't get it. Bunnyhop is fantastic, I love youtubers like that who are more indepth in their critiques, and aren't just angry yelling, but pretty much all of the ones I like such as ACG, Noah Gervais, Cool Ghosts, Gamemaker's Toolkit, Ahoy and such. People who really seem to put a lot into it. But then the assholes who're overreacting at Five Nights at Freddy's gets 50 times more subscribers than the lot of them put together. Don't get it.

It's the same with reaction videos. Some were good but most were just people freaking out, running about, screaming or crying over the stupidest of shít. They were terribly OTT yet they got loads of views because somehow people find that crap entertaining.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,458 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Once had a chat with a friend about what technological or cultural advancement would leave us feeling truly old and out of touch. We agreed that it was probably Snapchat.

However, I think I'd happily add 'most gaming videos on YouTube' and 'virtual weapon skins betting sites' to that shortlist.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement