Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gaming News

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

@ AlmightyCushion

Again, it's people aged up to 16 that those kinds of videos target. That's the age range where there's a whole lot less adblock and whole lot more parent's credit card with no financial restraint. And because such videos bring in the money google just promotes it even more, hence why reaction videos and that kind of drivel have been frontpage listings for as long as YT's been asking for my full name.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

@ AlmightyCushion

Again, it's people aged up to 16 that those kinds of videos target. That's the age range where there's a whole lot less adblock and whole lot more parent's credit card with no financial restraint. And because such videos bring in the money google just promotes it even more, hence why reaction videos and that kind of drivel have been frontpage listings for as long as YT's been asking for my full name.

I can't even figure out what kind of nincompoop lets a child have access to their bank account!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

Also, shady stuff about a group manipulating Steam Greenlight:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    I can't even figure out what kind of nincompoop lets a child have access to their bank account!

You'd have to be an absolute spanner of the highest order.

An interesting ted talk that touches on it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

TB just ripped into them too

• Registered Users Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭ahnowbrowncow

So this weapons skins cr*p is the reason I have to use steam authenticate to authorise each and every 3 cent card sale :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

So this weapons skins cr*p is the reason I have to use steam authenticate to authorise each and every 3 cent card sale :rolleyes:

The really stupid thing is that if you use the steam app to sell the cards then you also have to authorise the sale using the same app that you used to sell it. What's the point in that? It's not like it makes it anymore secure.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Once had a chat with a friend about what technological or cultural advancement would leave us feeling truly old and out of touch. We agreed that it was probably Snapchat.

However, I think I'd happily add 'most gaming videos on YouTube' and 'virtual weapon skins betting sites' to that shortlist.

I can't watch video reviews, gameplay and suchlike on youtube anymore because of all those twat weasel youtube "personalities" and their wacky commentaties, they make me want to punch babies. Same with most of those video presenters on the big game sites. Makes me feel old as dust.

Except boogie. I like boogie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

The only gaming videos I can watch oh a regular basis are the zero punctuation ones.

• Advertisement

The only gaming videos I can watch oh a regular basis are the zero punctuation ones.

Even Yahtzee begins to grate on the nerves after a few years of the same old routine.

But at least I don't want to see him choke to death on his own zanyness during a livestream.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

Links234 wrote: »
    I don't get it either, all the more popular ones just seem to scream into their mics, and I don't get it. Bunnyhop is fantastic, I love youtubers like that who are more indepth in their critiques, and aren't just angry yelling, but pretty much all of the ones I like such as ACG, Noah Gervais, Cool Ghosts, Gamemaker's Toolkit, Ahoy and such. People who really seem to put a lot into it. But then the assholes who're overreacting at Five Nights at Freddy's gets 50 times more subscribers than the lot of them put together. Don't get it.

I don't even "get" Five Nights at Freddy's, much less get the people who act in a way that'd make Nic Cage look subtle while playing them.

The skins lotto thing is fairly atrocious, and I rather hope the two involved get punished for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,743 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Bambi wrote: »
    I can't watch video reviews, gameplay and suchlike on youtube anymore because of all those twat weasel youtube "personalities" and their wacky commentaties, they make me want to punch babies. Same with most of those video presenters on the big game sites. Makes me feel old as dust.

Except boogie. I like boogie

I like Boogie, Jim Sterling and a bit of Angry Joe (he goes overboard in his reviews with all his comedy bits thrown in, but the main body of his reviews are generally pretty good).

Though I like them for their reviews/opinion pieces. I'd never watch them just streaming or just gameplay videos. Can't understand the popularity of that at all.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 22 Johnmuck

The stench of "try hard" of Angry Joe is sickening; he's not at all funny to me, and I get the sneaking feeling he is even more of dickhead off camera.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,539 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Penn wrote: »
    I like Boogie, Jim Sterling and a bit of Angry Joe (he goes overboard in his reviews with all his comedy bits thrown in, but the main body of his reviews are generally pretty good).

Though I like them for their reviews/opinion pieces. I'd never watch them just streaming or just gameplay videos. Can't understand the popularity of that at all.

Like Boogie, can't stand the others.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,458 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

It's all about the Mark Brown's Game Maker's Toolkit series. Calm, considered and intelligent videos with actual critical and analytical substance! It's a really valuable and often insightful series about what makes games tick, and to me operates on a completely different level to any other YouTube series I've encountered. Cannot recommend them enough

I don't even get the idea of betting/spectating/trading on these new fangled games like DOTA2 like all the kids do nowadays with their twitches and chapsnatch

I just play games, is that such a crime?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

Bambi wrote: »
    I don't even get the idea of betting/spectating/trading on these new fangled games like DOTA2 like all the kids do nowadays with their twitches and chapsnatch

I just play games, is that such a crime?

We're all older here I'd assume (Mid 20's + ) and have some kind of intelligence to realise that these people are scammers.
    When you're younger I guess you can get sucked into these 'fads' a lot easier.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

Like Pogs

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

It's all about the Mark Brown's Game Maker's Toolkit series. Calm, considered and intelligent videos with actual critical and analytical substance! It's a really valuable and often insightful series about what makes games tick, and to me operates on a completely different level to any other YouTube series I've encountered. Cannot recommend them enough

Loved the commentary on a side quest in Fallout: NV

I'd recommend Did You Know Gaming? & Super BunnyHop

Jim Sterling is very much unpopular marmite but I enjoy him most of the time :o

• Advertisement

Super Bunnyhop is definitely one of my favourite youtubers, his videos aren't only interesting and indepth, but he's got a great voice that's really easy to listen to, and I think that's quite an important factor for me because I really dislike angry, shouting youtubers. Mark Brown as mentioned above is the same, he's got a great voice, and really easy to listen to. Ahoy is fantastic, and there's not many youtubers that could have me watching a video retrospective about Quake that's over an hour long, but it made for some extremely compelling viewing.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,743 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

Havent seen it myself but i've been told it's made the bbc news too lol

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

Havent seen it myself but i've been told it's made the bbc news too lol

it did

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-36702905

• Registered Users Posts: 33,743 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Non-apology from Tmartn. Basically that him being the owner was public record but he's sorry that some people didn't think it was made clear enough (because obviously whenever someone mentions they randomly found a company the first thing most of us do is chase down the legal records of who owns it).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

They need to lawyer up quickly, the fact they went back and changed all the video stuff proves they know they are ****ed

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

• Registered Users Posts: 23,178 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Penn wrote: »

Non-apology from Tmartn. Basically that him being the owner was public record but he's sorry that some people didn't think it was made clear enough (because obviously whenever someone mentions they randomly found a company the first thing most of us do is chase down the legal records of who owns it).

"I love you guys. You mean so much to me."

How do people watch this shít?

Also, recording the video with a big-ass 4x4 in the background doesn't exactly scream contrition.

He's sorry he got caught, that's for sure.

Edit:

Blue eyed snake.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,743 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

He read that out like a script given to him by saul goodman, especially the part with the fcuking dog..

Can he not see how insincere all of that shít looks?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement