Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gaming News

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,458 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

A beautiful example of how framing choices can add all these extra layers of meaning to a video. That he positioned the camera strategically to show his giant house and obscene car says far more than whatever nonsense he actually said.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,743 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Ha, he's now taken the apology video down. Says he's "disappointed in it"

He's really digging a hole at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,282 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Disappointed in Valve more than anyone else. The whole gambling aspect to csgo should have been nipped in the bud a long time ago. They could easily stop people connecting their steam accounts to these stupid sites and ban all the gambling bots, but they don't.

I had never heard of tmartn until a few days ago, and the only other time I heard of syndicate was last year when he refused to pay some guy for work he did for him. They both seem to be complete ********.

Hope they both end up broke and in prison because of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,743 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

rich white young americans, no chance of jail - it'll cost them though, one way or the other

• Registered Users Posts: 12,539 ✭✭✭✭Varik

rich white young americans, no chance of jail - it'll cost them though, one way or the other

Depends on the state, but running illegal gambling isn't something that you can get out of with a sob story like you can for all most anything here in Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

Varik wrote: »
    Depends on the state, but running illegal gambling isn't something that you can get out of with a sob story like you can for all most anything here in Ireland.

I'd be shocked if he got anything more than a slap on the wrist and a fine, and doubly so with this bring relatively new ground that laws haven't caught up to. Hell, Blizzard's loot box micro transactions in Overwatch are not exactly distinct from gambling as they're basically scratch cards, the key difference being it's for ingame cosmetics and not real life dollarydoos, but they're certainly taking actual money for the chance to win something in an obscenely gambly way. Yet that all gets a free pass because?

I think we'll see quite some time before the law catches up to this kind of thing, and I'm doubtful jackass mc turdmeister with his mansion and big cars is gonna see squat in terms of jail time.

The biggest cummupence he'll likely get is most of his viewers will see him as a scammer and he'll lose a lot of subscribers and ad revenue from his YouTube channel.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

I don't think their age or skin colour can help them with state and federal laws. Gambling malarkey is one of the few things pretty much nobody can get away with without playing ball and being on the level or literally going underground.

Then again the arguement they're making is that it's not real money. You can sell stuff on steam but all you get is steam-bucks which can only ever be used to buy more steam crap. The Japanese circumvent gambling (it's illegal there btw) by making the prizes unique items that a kiosk nearby exchanges for real money and functions officially as some kind of pawn shop even though it has direct ties to the pachinko business. So you're not gambling or winning money. You're buying balls (chips) to put into the machine then winning items which you sell for money.

Loopholes everywhere.

Not surprised , wonder it it will follow suit on consoles too.

I played the beta for a bit and even then I thought it was a failed concept , it's likely changed a bit by now ? Or maybe not but I just couldn't see it's 5v1 mode being interesting enough to play for long. It's like a multi-player mode that belonged to part of a bigger game but they went and based their entire offering around it. Had they simply just gone and made Evolve as left4dead in space I think they could have done much better.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,202 ✭✭✭maximoose

Not surprised , wonder it it will follow suit on consoles too.

Yep, that's the plan it seems.
    There are a lot of reasons why we are starting this Evolve Stage 2 Beta on PC. One of the main reasons is that, with the way updates work through Steam, we can iterate quickly without going through a submissions process," Yanez explains. "This means that we can more quickly identify and resolve problems and get Stage 2 to a place where we feel it is really solid and an excellent player experience. After implementing and testing these new changes on PC, if we find that players respond well to the changes, we would want to bring Stage 2 changes to consoles in the future. But for now PC is our exclusive beta platform.

• Advertisement

I don't think their age or skin colour can help them with state and federal laws. Gambling malarkey is one of the few things pretty much nobody can get away with without playing ball and being on the level or literally going underground.

Then again the arguement they're making is that it's not real money. You can sell stuff on steam but all you get is steam-bucks which can only ever be used to buy more steam crap. The Japanese circumvent gambling (it's illegal there btw) by making the prizes unique items that a kiosk nearby exchanges for real money and functions officially as some kind of pawn shop even though it has direct ties to the pachinko business. So you're not gambling or winning money. You're buying balls (chips) to put into the machine then winning items which you sell for money.

Loopholes everywhere.

I think it absolutely can, Age, Colour, Creed and background, all that counts towards how the jury deliver a verdict. Anyway, that's a discussion for another forum maybe.

What it'll boil down to if it ever goes to court is this

Two white kids made a lot of money, nobody got hurt, but laws were broken and a mostly young <18y/o audience are used as target practice for a gambling company they set up.

previous convictions / or in yer man tmartns case, that he's done something shady like this before with promoting a game he was involved with making.

They both have massive fanbases/subscriptions - could be used both for and against depending on the prosecution/defense.

The jury - that's critical, if it's an older jury they may not understand the case as well as younger people would. So probably a young jury selection from both sides, and they'll probably already have had their minds swayed by the media, or they could even get a few fanboys in there. That might be stretching it but yeah..

At worst.. Could very easily be a mistrial before it even goes to court, if it ever even went to court.

At best.. They're slapped with a hefty fine they can easily pay.

Steam brings in counter measures to prevent this kind of shít from happening again.

I cant see the issue being ignored though that's for sure

The casters at ESL have been taking shots at the csgo lotto gimps today.

https://clips.twitch.tv/esl_csgo/SparklingHippopotamusPanicVis
    https://clips.twitch.tv/esl_csgo/PerfectHerringShazBotstix

Second one is savage.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

• Registered Users Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

I've never heard about T Martin or that other lad before now, but from those videos Trevor Martin is just a slimy hateful individual with a very punchable face.

Hope they get taken to the cleaners in court.

Its probably bad that my first reaction was, "What a genius idea!"

Just got a mail from Ubisoft for a survey about mods for their games, pretty much what you'd expect it to be and them seeing what appetite there is for mods in their games. This stood out however "Regarding the following types of mods, for which ones would you be willing to pay?" you know it's going to happen :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

:pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

Just got a mail from Ubisoft for a survey about mods for their games, pretty much what you'd expect it to be and them seeing what appetite there is for mods in their games. This stood out however "Regarding the following types of mods, for which ones would you be willing to pay?" you know it's going to happen :mad:

they sent out thesame one for siege and skins and charms, and the prices were like 5 7 10 e the delusional bastards

they sent out thesame one for siege and skins and charms, and the prices were like 5 7 10 e the delusional bastards

Ha yeah crazy prices, they also asked if creators should be paid. Poor saps might be lucky to see 0.000001% of the Ubi take.

You still on Xbox or you move on to PC/PC4 dude?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

Ha yeah crazy prices, they also asked if creators should be paid. Poor saps might be lucky to see 0.000001% of the Ubi take.

You still on Xbox or you move on to PC/PC4 dude?

Pc ages ago

• Advertisement

http://www.pcgamer.com/emails-reveal-how-shady-csgo-gambling-promotions-are-born

Interesting read there regarding the the whole CS:GO gambling thing

Pc ages ago

Ah was only thinking the other day when I saw your post here I hadn't seen you on xbox since .... Borderlands 2 or GTAV maybe. (Calex on Xbox btw)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Shteam stamping out the ould gambling carry on

http://store.steampowered.com/news/22883/

I only use steam for playing games, I've no use for all the trading/cards/hats/economy stuff so I just consider its existence a liability to the security of my account, if I could opt out some way I would

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Bambi wrote: »

I only use steam for playing games, I've no use for all the trading/cards/hats/economy stuff so I just consider its existence a liability to the security of my account, if I could opt out some way I would

"So yeah we were delighted to make a ton of money with little work and really this gambling malarkey just made us even more popular to the kids but now these two douchenozzles from youtube have made this mainstream news so we kind of have to lie now and claim we had no idea any of this was going on and how shocked we are and so on.

I mean, you can trade our stuff for real money so it actually is gambling but we are going to pretend you can't actually do that. We are clamping down on it now just in case anybody sues for facilitating online gambling for children. Which is what we were doing. But not now, coz its morally wrong n stuff. Not because its news. kthxbye"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

Should I even ask what torrential downpour is about?

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Sieghardt

Should I even ask what torrential downpour is about?

it's like oprainfaill but where oprainfall asked for localizations of games, this one is to ask for uncensored localizations

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

A fairly reasonable end goal, alas the means has once again let them down. The journalist in question worked for Official Nintendo UK, one of Future Publications licenced magazines, for a period of six months back in 2014. The implication of impropriety in this case is pretty much bunk.

I can only assume the lady in question has now made her Twitter protected due to the overwhelming number of kind messages of support since the news broke.

Bambi wrote: »

Twitch are also enforcing their TOS now and have banned csgo gambling streams completely.

A good day for CSGO.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Maybe with this revenue stream drying up Valve might actually get back to making games.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement