Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gaming News

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

Penn wrote: »
    Special edition - Remaster. Same thing different name.

No, it's not. For Devil May Cry, the special edition means added features (characters, turbo). A remaster specifically means touched up assets, graphics, audio, things like that (System Shock, Dragon's Dogma or check out how movies do remasters) They may combine the 2, which DMC4 barely did so I would still just call it SE since all it does is what the original DMC3:SE did, add more content. DMC3 on PS2 to DMC3:SE on PS2 didn't enhance graphics at all.
    • DMC3 - 2005 PS2
    • DMC3:SE - 2006 MCWindows/PS2 [Additional content]
    • DMC4 - 2008 MCWindows/PS3/XB360
    • DmC - 2013 [Reboot]
    • DMC HD Collection 2012 [Re-release]
    • DMC4:SE 2015 MCWindows/PS4/XBO [Additional content (Some DLC and performance downgrades)]

Note how HD collection isn't a remaster because its graphics, audio, controls (etc) got not specific attention to enhance or fix them. It was simply made to run on the PS3/XB360 so the only standard was that it fit HDTVs, hence the name of the collection. Which is fine, I loved the HD collection.
    It was still a re-release of a 7-8 year old game.

So it's a re-release now? :rolleyes:
    I don't mind that when they add something new to it, something to make me want to play it again.

I don't mind, either. Except when they charged extra for DMC4:SE costumes ;)

What I do mind is not giving games remasters that actually need them. Like Biohazard Outbreak F#1/2 (long load times, rough network system) The Bouncer (multiplayer campaign). But instead we get Biohazard 4 released nearly a dozen times. If they're not going to remaster games that need them then I'd prefer new games.

IN NEWS

Western Release for Summon Night 6: Lost Borders Set for February 2017

• Registered Users Posts: 33,743 ✭✭✭✭Penn

No, it's not.

Is there really a need to be so pedantic? They can do a Street Fighter and call it Super Ultra Devil May Cry 4 Special Edition Alpha Remastered Turbo Game of the Year Edition, it's the same game with slightly better graphics and new features. It doesn't negate the point I'm actually trying to make.

When they re-release an old game, regardless of which of the many similar names they might give it, I generally don't have an issue with it, so long as they add something new to it to make it worth playing.

Is there really a need to be so pedantic?

Same to you - is there a need combine meanings together when they're different? Again, remasters are for upgraded assets and different platforms, special/super/whatever editions are for new content with no garauntee of refinement. It's not a small detail. Just ask the publishers that.

Next you're going to tell me localisations are the same as director's cut.
    They can do a Street Fighter and call it Super Ultra Devil May Cry 4 Special Edition Alpha Remastered Turbo Game of the Year Edition, it's the same game with slightly better graphics and new features. It doesn't negate the point I'm actually trying to make.

Actually it does since the point you're trying to make is that there's no difference in editions of games with purely extra content vs games being outright re-released with the same content/extra but with higher quality assets like textures, remastered audio, re-done special effects etc.
    generally don't have an issue with it, so long as they add something new to it to make it worth playing.

We know, you already said that.

IN NEWS

Microsoft Will Force-patch Windows 10 To Make Steam Progressively Worse And More Broken

Oh look, MC destroying PC gaming again.

Before I clinked that link I bet my self it was Tim Sweeney again :D

I'd call him tinfoil hat if it wasn't for MC's history of doing this kind of thing.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

It means too that SteamOS is in a position to make itself a more lucrative option. It's not hard to imagine the future Sweeney describes when one sees what a vested interest MS has in steering people into its own eco system - it's a proven model and in a lot of ways, it's exactly the same as what Valve has done - just look at all the people who lost their sht when EA announced Origin and when Ubi did the same with UPlay.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

I'd be more worried if Tim was able to give one reasonable example of how MS could explicitly target Steam through Windows 10 updates.

I'd wager there'll be a follow up interview soon where he'll elaborate on the points made in the interview and just link it back to his worry that MS could try to phase out Win32 support in favour of the UWP API in the (nearish) future.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

There's certainly a decent argument to be made by MS for moving away from Win32 support too in fairness, games will only be a fraction of the affected software which suggests to me that they'll have to propose some sort of process to transition from Win32 to UWP for all software.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

I could see the opposite happening of what MS intends:
    Sweeney wrote:
    Slowly, over the next 5 years, they will force-patch Windows 10 to make Steam progressively worse and more broken. They’ll never completely break it, but will continue to break it until, in five years, people are so fed up that Steam is buggy that the Windows Store seem like an ideal alternative with Windows that they'll move to alternative operating systems

Fixed the quote...

Shiminay wrote: »
    it's exactly the same as what Valve has done - just look at all the people who lost their sht when EA announced Origin and when Ubi did the same with UPlay.

Steam, Uplay and Origin are all just clients. Steam even sells some DRM-free games.

MC is looking to lock down the eco at an OS level. It's the apple route.

N4eDa0P.jpg

And in the darkness bind them :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Steam, Uplay and Origin are all just clients. Steam even sells some DRM-free games.

MC is looking to lock down the eco at an OS level. It's the apple route.

KtiViis.jpg?1

And in the darkness bind them :D

I'd honestly be completely astonished if Microsoft were to do that. Tim Sweeney has always been a bit sensationalist.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

If Steam OS became an either-or scenario, I wonder would they strike a deal to allow MS Office to work via Steam?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

While going to a locked down eco system will certainly make Windows far more secure like it has on apple products it effectively destroys Windows main selling point, it's open nature. There's a reason Apple system are relegated to just publishing and hipsters with too much money, outside of areas were Apples have been strong the PC has dominated due to how open it is and how versatile a platform it is. I can see Microsoft pushing in that direction but ultimately it will be a big mistake and something like Linux will slowly emerge as a more viable platform.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,942 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Why do they still give so much prominence to Hololens? Its a bad joke.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    While going to a locked down eco system will certainly make Windows far more secure like it has on apple products it effectively destroys Windows main selling point, it's open nature. There's a reason Apple system are relegated to just publishing and hipsters with too much money, outside of areas were Apples have been strong the PC has dominated due to how open it is and how versatile a platform it is. I can see Microsoft pushing in that direction but ultimately it will be a big mistake and something like Linux will slowly emerge as a more viable platform.
    I'd be more worried if their attempts to push the Store and UWP itself weren't being accompanied by changes which are designed to offset the appearance of the closed environment. Whether it's turning on the ability to sideload apps by default or the forthcoming App Installer in the Anniversary Update, they appear to be aiming for the best of both worlds where casual users can enjoy the benefits of the closed ecosystem while power users can install whatever they want.

One thing is for certain, pushing UWP out in its premature state has done a huge amount of damage to the platform, most especially with gamers.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Also UWP will block low level access to CPU and GPU processes since it will be all locked behind Direct X. Look at the incredible performance gains Vulkan has already brought to the table with Doom. It's one advantage consoles have over PC until now.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

If Microsoft do get rid of Win32 completely, it's a long, long way away. I still don't think they're likely to do it. At best they may have the option to disable installation of non UWP apps for security reasons. They might even enable it by default. I would actually like to see that as an option once there is a sizable collection of UWP apps that cover a wide range of uses. It would be handy for family member's computers so that they can't install anything stupid that and fúck up their computer. It'd save me and them time and headaches.

^

Yeah that's pretty much the benefit of a package manager. Everything that isn't windows has had this benefit for a while, though. OSX, iOS, Android, Linux. Hell I use a limited but handy package manager on windows 7. it's sad to think there's many family setups that didn't bother to try an alternative to windows for a simpler solution to software downloads and instead waited around for this abomination.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Also UWP will block low level access to CPU and GPU processes since it will be all locked behind Direct X. Look at the incredible performance gains Vulkan has already brought to the table with Doom. It's one advantage consoles have over PC until now.
    It'll be locked behind DirectX 12 though which will offer the same level of low level access that Vulkan does. The Doom renderer, if you'll remember, is OpenGL based so it wasn't much of a surprise when moving over to Vulkan properly saw large performance gains. Odd are, if they were to rewrite it to fully support the DX12 feature set, they would have seen similarly large increases.

Vulkan, of course, is cross platform which is one large advantage it has over DX12, especially when it comes to UWP which actually requires the use of the MS API.

As for some of the other replies, may I suggest reading this as there appears to be a bit of confusion over what UWP actually is, what it does and what direction it's going in.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

^

Yeah that's pretty much the benefit of a package manager. Everything that isn't windows has had this benefit for a while, though. OSX, iOS, Android, Linux. Hell I use a limited but handy package manager on windows 7. it's sad to think there's many family setups that didn't bother to try an alternative to windows for a simpler solution to software downloads and instead waited around for this abomination.

While Android handles the apps side of things automatically, OS updates aren't automatic. My Dad was having a problem with his phone. There was an OS update that was available so I installed that. After that there was at least another two or three OS updates that it needed to install. The OS update ended up fixing the problem. Windows can be set up to install updates automatically, Android can't as far as I remember.

When it comes to computers, the alternative is linux (Macs are way too pricey for me to recommend to family memebers who only want a cheap PC). I've tried linux a few years back (probably 5 years ago now) and it was a disaster. I set up a file server with Ubuntu on it. It was a bit of hassle getting everything set up as I was unfamiliar with Linux but that's fair enough and to be expected. When it worked it was fine but any time something went wrong it was a pain in the ass. If something goes wrong with Windows there is usually a million web pages dedicated to fixing that or discussing that one issue and you find a solution that works for you and your skill level relatively easily (not always mind but most of the time at least).

With Linux I found trying to fix stuff a complete pain. Any thing you'd find was either only good if you knew Linux and the command line well. e.g. it would tell you to do X then Y then Z without telling you how to do either of those things.

The other solutions were usually just copied and pasted list of commands to run with no explanation what it was doing or why it was doing it. If that list of commands didn't work for you for whatever reason you were shít out of luck. Linux can be good when every thing is set up and working fine but if something goes wrong and you aren't used to linux that's when it becomes difficult. I eventually wiped that file server and stuck windows on it and was much happier because of it. Things still went wrong but I was able to fix them a lot quicker and easier than when something went wrong with Linux. Now, it's possible my google skills weren't up to scratch, I was looking at the wrong websites or whatever but I really tried with Linux and it caused me nothing but headaches and frustration.

• Advertisement

@ AlmightyCushion

I just stick with my distro's wiki and if I really need to there's an IRC so that's essentially 24h live chat support.
    gizmo wrote: »
    As for some of the other replies, may I suggest reading this as there appears to be a bit of confusion over what UWP actually is, what it does and what direction it's going in.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Embrace,_extend_and_extinguish

• Registered Users Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

New Dragon's Dogma possibly teased: http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=1254636

• Registered Users Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

Links234 wrote: »
    New Dragon's Dogma possibly teased: http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=1254636

aaaaaand dreams crushed!

20160729_025529_thumb.png

The teaser site makes no mention of it being a smartphone game, but it’s been featured on Famitsu’s otome-focused “Famitsu App for Girls” section, which actually went ahead and revealed the title ahead of time as Toraware no Palm (The Captive/Taken Palm).

Awwwwww /kicks the cat :mad:

(18+) Nutaku Launches $2 Million Adult Gaming Investment Fund
    It being in canada is probably the mark of death for it in terms of censorship though. They'll need to relocate their business legally if they hope to bring in the H-Game consumer base.

Bioware forum's shutting down

According to Bioware a Digg clone and social media with free-falling stock is the place for their community. It seems banning everyone left their forums empty.

Drive Club getting VR

• Registered Users Posts: 10,743 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

those (fan)boyoware forums were atrocious anyway

i lol'd at this bit though
    In the past, our forums were the only way we could speak to you directly. They allowed our developers to talk with fans, and gave our players the opportunity to talk with each other about our games.

It was essentially a free-for-all that the devs and mods ignored for the last three years.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Microsoft has a long history of trying to railroad its users into whatever bright idea they're pushing whether the user likes it or not

They also have a long history of dropping the bright idea when it fails, shafting their users (who never wanted the bright idea) in the process

Given that they know their own history for this I cant see them gambling with their core business by dropping win32

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,842 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

So Telltale are retweeting about a messaging app coming to Android and iOS this August. Interesting thing is, the app is from E-Corp which is the evil corporate company from the tv show Mr. Robot. What the feck is going on!

https://twitter.com/ecorpmessaging/status/763069801799352320

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement