Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gaming News

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

I read it as Sony wanting limitations on mods, where Bethesda wanted it to be a free for all regarding content, Bethesda gave them the my way or the highway option.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,495 ✭✭✭Damien360

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    A lonely fire you appear to tend.

Couldn't get this out of my head when I read that

image_zpszudu3yva.jpeg

I read it as Sony wanting limitations on mods, where Bethesda wanted it to be a free for all regarding content, Bethesda gave them the my way or the highway option.

Yeah read the same, something to do with file size limits and propriety audio codecs.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

EoinHef wrote: »
    Id love to know why it sounds like Sony just pulled the plug,from the Bethesda statement it does not sound like a technical issue,just that Sony got cold feet! They will probably come out with some absolute BS reason.

Mod Support is a big enough reason to buy one console over another imo,so if Sony maintain this stance ill be looking to see what consoles do support mods when buying my next console. Was actually considering Skyrim remastered on PS4 for mods,wont be now.

I think the clue is in the statement here:
    Sony has informed us they will not approve user mods the way they should work: where users can do anything they want for either Fallout 4 or Skyrim Special Edition.

I can think of a few scenarios this line is hinting to

That bethesda wanted it to work like steam workshop where mods are hosted, but they can also be installed by other means outside of the workshop and sony were against players loading nude mods into their ps4 via usb or something

or

It could be (and I'm leaning more this) that Sony demanded that bethesda police the workshop on ps4 to a possibly excessive level and bethesda dont want to waste the time or manpower on it

It makes sense with microsoft going all *WINDOWS + XBOX ARE ONE!* they'd be more eager to encourage it more via mods being transferred from pc to xbox and possibly more willing and with the manpower to the policing of the official mod community themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,576 ✭✭✭EoinHef

Ooops,dont know why that didnt click with me:(

Its such a value add to any platform that it boggles my mind why devs that assist/allow modding for their games were not courted by console companies a long time ago. Modding is a huge strength that PC has over console imo,and in future ill be going with the console that has it available!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

sony are idiots :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,327 ✭✭✭dunworth1

sony are idiots :D

i'd say its a case that sony tried to muscle them into doing what they wanted them to do

oh the the bigger they are the harder they fall :pac:

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

dunworth1 wrote: »
    i'd say its a case that sony tried to muscle them into doing what they wanted them to do

oh the the bigger they are the harder they fall :pac:

Because Bethesda are such an upstanding bunch who'd never ever abuse their own lofty position.....oh, wait :P

So after being certified through the universal app process and having it revoked unsurprisingly before release NESBOX is now operational on Xbox One. Tested it earlier and works a charm but obviously has some limitations vs an app at the moment. He's basically taken the browser route with one drive support for loading roms.

https://www.reddit.com/r/xboxone/comments/52wzan/step_by_step_guide_for_using_nesbox_on_your_xbox/ @Mods does not contain links to rom sources, just steps to take to load them in the browser.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

So after being certified through the universal app process and having it revoked unsurprisingly before release NESBOX is now operational on Xbox One. Tested it earlier and works a charm but obviously has some limitations vs an app at the moment. He's basically taken the browser route with one drive support for loading roms.

https://www.reddit.com/r/xboxone/comments/52wzan/step_by_step_guide_for_using_nesbox_on_your_xbox/ @Mods does not contain links to rom sources, just steps to take to load them in the browser.

If that works thats kinda impressive coding on a closed platform.

• Advertisement

dreamers75 wrote: »
    If that works thats kinda impressive coding on a closed platform.

No if about it. I'm tired and lazy so won't add Zelda and Mario screen shots on the One dash but next step is likely MS blocking the file extensions on one drive.

Mad Catz sold Saitek to Logitech for 13m, bought it for 30m 9 years ago.

Mad Catz sold Saitek to Logitech for 13m, bought it for 30m 9 years ago.

How deep in trouble are mad catz? I vaguely remember them laying off staff and losing the Rock Band peripherals deal this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

How deep in trouble are mad catz? I vaguely remember them laying off staff and losing the Rock Band peripherals deal this year.

Oh yay! a mad catz controller!!!

said no one, ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,458 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

FTFY

said no one younger brother, ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

We're discounting the Fightsticks here, right? Cos if my house was on fire I'd probably go back in for my SSFIV TE S...

As for Madcatz's financial position, it's bad. With the selling off of Saitek though, I wonder how their Star Citizen deal will be impacted?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,539 ✭✭✭✭Varik

gizmo wrote: »
    We're discounting the Fightsticks here, right? Cos if my house was on fire I'd probably go back in for my SSFIV TE S...

As for Madcatz's financial position, it's bad. With the selling off of Saitek though, I wonder how their Star Citizen deal will be impacted?

Their flightstick were good feature wise but the build quality was low, same as most of their stuff. Don't think anything was released or shown again since then.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,743 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-37385555

Looks like the Brits are the first ones to prosecute over illegal online gambling (gaming gambling) - and inviting children to gamble. Pretty serious offences.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭lawlolawl

said no one, ever.

The 360 controller ending up as the defacto PC gamepad last gen hurt them badly and it was further compounded with both the ps4 and xbone controllers being good this gen.

No one wants some knock off with turbo buttons or whatever any more so all they have left is fightsticks (tiny market) and the now-dead plastic instrument genre.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Varik wrote: »
    Their flightstick were good feature wise but the build quality was low, same as most of their stuff. Don't think anything was released or shown again since then.

Saitek's build quality became an industry joke when Madcatz bought them which is kinda sad as their stuff used to be top notch. You can just google "HOTAS reviews" in general to see how much the build quality of their products dropped to with people being warned to not waste money on their stuff.

Saying that is Rock Band still a viable franchise to make peripherals for?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,539 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Venom wrote: »

That's the point, the new rock band was released and failed after they heavily invested in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,576 ✭✭✭EoinHef

Well if logitech can apply there build quality standards and customer care with saiteks knowledge of flight sticks we may have a winner there...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

Saitek's build quality became an industry joke when Madcatz bought them which is kinda sad as their stuff used to be top notch. You can just google "HOTAS reviews" in general to see how much the build quality of their products dropped to with people being warned to not waste money on their stuff.

its not so much the build quality (owner of an X52 Pro) but the incredibly piss poor driver support of the sticks that held saitek/mad catz back. With Windows 7 onwards it really is a crapshoot if the flightstick will work with the combination of hardware and software you own.

Had a saitek pad before the PS3 pads started working in Windows, now I on 360 pad and tbh I doubt anything will beat that.

Have a Thrustmaster Hotas that does the job but have always envied once of the top end Saiteks.

Might buy one if Logitech bring one out.

Had a saitek pad before the PS3 pads started working in Windows, now I on 360 pad and tbh I doubt anything will beat that.

Have a Thrustmaster Hotas that does the job but have always envied once of the top end Saiteks.

Word is MS sold close to 80k of the new xbox one s pads last month. Be a nice upgrade to that 360 one, but it has issues with steam link at the moment I believe. Hell even a standard Xbox One pad would be far more comfy vs a 360 one.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

BlitzKrieg wrote: »
    its not so much the build quality (owner of an X52 Pro) but the incredibly piss poor driver support of the sticks that held saitek/mad catz back. With Windows 7 onwards it really is a crapshoot if the flightstick will work with the combination of hardware and software you own.

I looked at pretty much every HOTAS except the Warthog(400 notes I think not) and most reviews tended to end up with people complaining over shoddy build quality and poor QC on Saitek sticks from the X-52 up to the X-56. It was the hardware issues not software (not mentioned much) that turned me right off.

Thrustmaster have a new midrange HOTAS coming out in October that looks pretty sweet.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,031 ✭✭✭Doge

Thrustmaster have a new midrange HOTAS coming out in October that looks pretty sweet.

397170.jpeg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

So this is something that's happening, "Developers" Digital Homicide are suing 100 Steam users.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

That'll be laughed out of court. Hopefully they'll get hit with hefty court fees when it inevitably gets thrown out.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

You'd think so, but they've also filed proceedings against Jim Sterling, alleging millions in lost revenue for his negative coverage of their games, and that's still ongoing.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement