Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gaming News

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Awkward Customer

As above it will most likely be laughed out of court.
    However lets say it does proceed, I imagine Valve would fall afoul of EU law if it turns out some of the Steam users are based in the EU and a US court orders Valve to release their personal details.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

Valve probably wont want to encourage suing customer for posting bad reviews either. Though it would have never come to this if Steam curated Greenlight properly and prevented DHs crap from appearing on Steam in the first place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

Their games have been removed from Steam. Valve ain't entertaining them any more.

https://twitter.com/RobotBrush/status/776921539077869569

https://twitter.com/RobotBrush/status/776924183070736389

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

hahaha fair play :D

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Links234 wrote: »
    Their games have been removed from Steam. Valve ain't entertaining them any more.

https://twitter.com/RobotBrush/status/776921539077869569

https://twitter.com/RobotBrush/status/776924183070736389

giphy.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

Valve has stopped doing business with Digital Homicide for being hostile to Steam customers.

http://techraptor.net/content/digital-homicides-games-removed-steam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 601 ✭✭✭Charizard

What a ridiculous attitude :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,539 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Gameplay out for Metal Gear Survive, doesn't look bad actually.

hahaha fair play :D

I guess you could say they committed...

*Puts on shades*

Digital suicide.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

Oh I loled hehe

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,966 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

Links234 wrote: »
    You'd think so, but they've also filed proceedings against Jim Sterling, alleging millions in lost revenue for his negative coverage of their games, and that's still ongoing.

I see that they are suing Jim for $15m :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Jordan 199 wrote: »
    I see that they are suing Jim for $15m :eek:

Whats really nuts is they have a GofundMe page to help support that lawsuit and have raised $425 over 6 months :confused:

https://www.gofundme.com/47uexn9c

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Steam has become a real dumping ground for rubbish over the last five or six years. If it's not a release from a big company or something you specifically know is good, you just couldn't take a chance on anything now.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,539 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Venom wrote: »
    Whats really nuts is they have a GofundMe page to help support that lawsuit and have raised $425 over 6 months :confused:

https://www.gofundme.com/47uexn9c

Worked for hulk hogan, there's plenty of people who hate jim sterling.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Depending on where the case is heard, Digital Homicide actually might have a very strong case - it's one thing to be a critic offering a critic's opinion on a product, but the comments that have been made by Jim (thank God for him) and many others are 100% actionable under defamation/libel laws in a lot of the world, the US included. Freedom of Speech that they have in the States doesn't cover you for abusing people.

Shiminay wrote: »
    Depending on where the case is heard, Digital Homicide actually might have a very strong case - it's one thing to be a critic offering a critic's opinion on a product, but the comments that have been made by Jim (thank God for him) and many others are 100% actionable under defamation/libel laws in a lot of the world, the US included. Freedom of Speech that they have in the States doesn't cover you for abusing people.

i dont think is much ground for that on Jim's side (he has been very concise in his criticism directed at them personally) but like you said it depends where the case is heard

I am much more sure they wont get anywhere with the steam users because they'd need to get Valve to release the users details and if Valve did that it would change steam as a platform forever (the discussions groups, review etc will all have to be purged to avoid future lawsuits) so Valve will fight it to the bitter end and I feel the coffers for valve are a fair bit deeper then digital homicide unless a 3rd party with an interest of knocking steam off its perch and a deeper pocket shows up.

And now digital homicide is seeking to take steam to court they updated their blog for the first time in months asking for legal representation in a case against steam: http://www.digitalhomicide.ninja/

so they sued jim sterling

then 100 steam users

and now its time for valve itself

statement:
    First i'd like to briefly respond to Doug Lombardi's official statement about Digital Homicide and its owners. I'd like to give some context to his offficial statement "Valve has stopped doing business with Digital Homicide for being hostile to Steam customers." What has actually transpired was a lack of resolution from Steam in regards to moderation of their platform which might sound like a tough job to do, but coming from a company that brags its profitability per employee is higher than google, it just shows a reckless disregard for for the well being of their community for profits. We submitted numerous reports and sent multiple emails in regards to individuals making personal attacks, harassment, and more on not only us but on other Steam customers who were actually interested in our products. The lawsuit that was submitted in regards to a handful of Steam users has been labeled by the media and now by Doug Lombardi's(a Valve representative) statement as "being hostile to Steam users" in general which is incorrect. The lawsuit recently filed is solely in regards to individuals where no resolution was able to be obtained from Steam to provide a safe environment for us to conduct business. By removing us for defending ourselves against harassment Steam is openly stating you cannot defend yourself from examples like these:
    When someone bothers you on say a platform like Facebook and you find the need to ban them, the Facebook response after you ban is "Sorry you had this experience" and then that person is removed from being able to post on your page. Steam's stance is what just happened to us. By removing us they have taken the stance that users have the right to harass me, tell me I should kill myself, and insult my family . If I try to defend myself against said actions then I lose my family's income. If it wasn't for 2 years of experience of dealing with Steam on a regular basis, this disgusting stance would seem shocking to me. The only thing that prevented me seeking legal counsel for a long list of breach of contracts, interference with business, and anti-trust issues was the fear of losing my family's income. Since that has been taken away I am seeking legal representation. The case will benefit from a long list of organized documentation of events that have happened over the past 2 years including dates, screenshots, emails, and more on over 100 infractions in need of litigation. Legal counsel interested in our case can contact us at support@digitalhomicide.ninja

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,315 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

BlitzKrieg wrote: »
    And now digital homicide is seeking to take steam to court they updated their blog for the first time in months asking for legal representation in a case against steam: http://www.digitalhomicide.ninja/

so they sued jim sterling

then 100 steam users

and now its time for valve itself

statement:
    Well if you¨re going to go bankrupt you might as well swing for the fences doing so (between false DMCA claim, directly copying a full video with not adding significant content, illegally claiming games to be by a company already registered, stealing of artwork put in game directly from google image, doxxing Jim Sterling etc.).

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

They're not wrong though, Steam has done literally nothing to stop them being abused and defamed on its platform, they have a very legitimate legal case against Steam on that basis alone. Steam absolutely has the right to kick DH off its platform for being hostile towards its user base, but an argument could be made that the ubiquity of Steam means that they're subject to some sort of monopolies rules and regulations (of which the US has lots), but we're into clutching at straws territory there I think.

• Advertisement

Was this mentioned here?

http://www.pewtergamesstudios.com/the-little-acre/

Coming to Xbox/PS4/PC this year, wonder are any of them posters here? We could have an AMA ala reddit if so :)

I hope this does well for them, word is they even have Charles Cecil involved :eek:

Going back to the whole Digital Homicide thing... Steam's Digital Homicide Fiasco Is Valve's Fault.

Now, I'd say that's pretty on the nose. DH are a monster of Valve's own creation, in the sense that they have done nothing to curb that kind of "developer" abusing the service, and are actively profiting off them (see the video from Tarmack linked in the article, it's very good and shows how a sham of a company like DH can actually turn a profit), only reacting when the situation came to a head and DH have legally threatened Steam users. They could have acted ages ago, when DH were just flooding greenlight with separate games that were essentially the same game but with different assets, or in some cases merely a different camera angle, but there has been a complete lack of quality control on Valve's part, leaving it down to an easily gamed vote system that's meant to take the place of curation, yet is ripe for abuse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭Vojera

More Echo Bazaar content to come from Failbetter Games: Sunless Skies, a sequel to Sunless Sea is going to Kickstarter next February.

I am beyond excited. I can't wait to throw all my money at them.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Vojera wrote: »
    More Echo Bazaar content to come from Failbetter Games: Sunless Skies, a sequel to Sunless Sea is going to Kickstarter next February.

I am beyond excited. I can't wait to throw all my money at them.

Hold up, they need Kickstarter to fund the sequel to a Kickstarter game?

:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭Vojera

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    Hold up, they need Kickstarter to fund the sequel to a Kickstarter game?

:mad:
    I can see where you're coming from, particularly as Sunless Sea was far more successful than they anticipated, but they're still a small studio that has undergone some significant changes in the past few months (including the loss of their founder). They seem to be good people, very open to supporting other indie devs and giving internships and opportunities to other people trying to get their start in the industry, so I'm inclined to forgive them on this.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Kickstarter isnt only a money raising tool.....its great for marketing as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Digital Homicide seems like an apt name.

I'd say more but I may be sued.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

I doubt it's going to affect them too much but the Advertising Standards Authority in the UK have launched an investigation into the promotion of No Man's Sky.
    The Advertising Standards Authority has confirmed to Eurogamer that it has launched an investigation into No Man's Sky.

The ASA investigation revolves around the Steam store page for No Man's Sky. The watchdog launched its investigation after receiving "several complaints" about No Man's Sky advertising, a representative told me.

The ASA has the power to have advertisements it believes are in breach of its code of conduct withdrawn, and prevent them from appearing again. If an advertiser refuses to comply with an ASA ruling, it can impose sanctions, such as asking internet search websites to remove a marketer's paid-for search ads.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2016-09-28-advertising-standards-launches-investigation-into-no-mans-sky

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Yeah, cause No Man's Sky is the only game ever to lie about it's features in the build up to release.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

Kiith wrote: »
    Yeah, cause No Man's Sky is the only game ever to lie about it's features in the build up to release.

I think its more to do with screenshots on Steam pages have to be from the game, NMS just used the bullshots they were throwing round everywhere the past 2 years.

And possibly it because so many people tried to claim back against the game on PS4 through small claims or advertising standards agencies, as Sony can be.....less than forthcoming when it comes to refunds on PSN.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement