Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gaming News

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,460 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Robert, as mentioned several times before, please post links to the original article if you want to reference them. Have removed the mirrors. Feel free to repost with the actual links if you'd like (I've had a look and there doesn't seem to be any significant edits to them).

Just a quick question. Even accepting the 'controversies' mentioned above (which vary dramatically in terms of severity IMO) and that no publication is likely perfect (because they are run by human beings): do you genuinely think that the sort of articles I linked to above are completely without value or unimportant?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,539 ✭✭✭✭Varik

do you genuinely think that the sort of articles I linked to above are completely without value or unimportant?

If they were their business wouldn't be dying.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,413 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

We might have lost Satoru Iwata but Uwe Boll retiring from film making might just be an even greater loss:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2016-10-27-infamous-video-game-movie-director-uwe-boll-retires-from-filmmaking

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    We might have lost Saturo Iwata but Uwe Boll retiring from film making might just be an even greater loss:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2016-10-27-infamous-video-game-movie-director-uwe-boll-retires-from-filmmaking

I'm still emotionally scarred from watch House of the Dead…

We might have lost Saturo Iwata but Uwe Boll retiring from film making might just be an even greater loss:

That article was written by Jeffery Matulef, who bought tickets to watch 3 Uwe Boll movies without disclosing it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,460 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

There's a few people I've heard argue that Uwe Boll's non-game projects aren't entirely without merit (such strong praise!). Nonetheless, I have merrily gone on completely ignoring them.
    Varik wrote: »
    If they were their business wouldn't be dying.

Most major news outlets have dying business models, and I think few people (well, at least those who don't break out in boils at the mere mention of the 'mainstream media') would contest the importance of financially struggling enterprises like The New York Times or The Guardian. Finances are far from the only gauge of a publication's importance.

Let me rephrase this another way, to get more at what I was asking: do you believe those articles linked above are entirely without journalistic or critical merit?

Let me rephrase this another way, to get more at what I was asking: do you believe those articles linked above are entirely without journalistic or critical merit?

Unless they pocket/butt posted them or they're advertorials posted by a bot they can't be fully without merit.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,413 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

Robert, as mentioned several times before, please post links to the original article if you want to reference them. Have removed the mirrors. Feel free to repost with the actual links if you'd like (I've had a look and there doesn't seem to be any significant edits to them).

Why didn't you do it? If you had the effort to remove the archives and check the live pages individually you could've added them. And yes I remember that rule, it was to guarantee clicks to the publishers' pocket. Which you've made doubly sure they won't get (because the archives list the live link as the first thing on the page). I didn't not post direct links because I was trying to avoid it, I was copying the first link I had seen to the info.
    Just a quick question. Even accepting the 'controversies'

Cronyism, corruption, dishonesty and sensationalism. Those silly things.
    and that no publication is likely perfect (because they are run by human beings):

Who some of them had to update their site's journalism ethics policies due to these 'controversies' brought to light.
    do you genuinely think that the sort of articles I linked to above are completely without value or unimportant?

According to financial reports such articles have less and less financial value each day. At least from those outlets. Important? I couldn't say. I could only bet.

It would be brazen to say they're entirely with or without journalistic or critical merit. They definitely have some merit if you have amnesia to the publisher's history. Some would say not a single letter they publish anymore is worth a damn because of their past. I suppose it's up to the individual to decide.

Interesting that this comes up and we were talking about Eurogamer's worth earlier because there's a new article out just about Eurogamer's moderators.

http://www.oneangrygamer.net/2016/10/eurogamer-censors-comments-mentioning-con-leaks-to-protect-zoe-quinn/15141/

But look at the activity that was on EG's article. There is more discussion in the comments of that article and all their others than there ever would be here. Whatever about game journalism losing popularity, the forum format of online discussion seems to have less interest.

Why didn't you do it? If you had the effort to remove the archives and check the live pages individually you could've added them. And yes I remember that rule, it was to guarantee clicks to the publishers' pocket. Which you've made doubly sure they won't get (because the archives list the live link as the first thing on the page). I didn't not post direct links because I was trying to avoid it, I was copying the first link I had seen to the info.

Cronyism, corruption, dishonesty and sensationalism. Those silly things.

Who some of them had to update their site's journalism ethics policies due to these 'controversies' brought to light.

According to financial reports such articles have less and less financial value each day. At least from those outlets. Important? I couldn't say. I could only bet.

It would be brazen to say they're entirely with or without journalistic or critical merit. They definitely have some merit if you have amnesia to the publisher's history. Some would say not a single letter they publish anymore is worth a damn because of their past. I suppose it's up to the individual to decide.

Interesting that this comes up and we were talking about Eurogamer's worth earlier because there's a new article out just about Eurogamer's moderators.

http://www.oneangrygamer.net/2016/10/eurogamer-censors-comments-mentioning-con-leaks-to-protect-zoe-quinn/15141/

But look at the activity that was on EG's article. There is more discussion in the comments of that article and all their others than there ever would be here. Whatever about game journalism losing popularity, the forum format of online discussion seems to have less interest.

Why do you even bother reading through all that stuff. It seems like the most extraordinarily tedious rabbit hole to go down.

• Advertisement

Why do you even bother reading through all that stuff. It seems like the most extraordinarily tedious rabbit hole to go down.

Took about 2 minutes to read. The only thing tedious is formatting all the markup on these posts to discuss it :pac:

Took about 2 minutes to read. The only thing tedious is formatting all the markup on these posts to discuss it :pac:

I'll be honest, the only times I read about the likes of Zoe Quinn or Feminist Frequency or the like these days is when I happen to stumble on gamergate articles on this forum and you seem to be the only one still posting them. Do they really make any difference to your actual gaming experience beyond giving you something to obsess over?

I'll be honest, the only times I read about the likes of Zoe Quinn or Feminist Frequency or the like these days is when I happen to stumble on gamergate articles on this forum and you seem to be the only one still posting them. Do they really make any difference to your actual gaming experience beyond giving you something to obsess over?

It makes no difference to my gaming experience. In the past it's simply what made me distance myself from many outlets.

"and you seem to be the only one still posting them"

Possibly because it gets moderator attention and mockery all around. Users don't like the stress of that and most come to forums to unwind with a topic of discussion I think.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,413 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Swery65 has retired from Access games. Looks like we won't be getting D4 episode 2 anytime soon :(

Along with Deadly Premonition Swery65 also worked on Extermination on PS2, Tomba! 2 and Last Blade 1 and 2 which are two of the best fighting games ever made, and possibly the best looking games ever made.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,966 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

Swery65 has retired from Access games. Looks like we won't be getting D4 episode 2 anytime soon :(

It would be a shame if a second episode of D4 was never released because I did enjoy playing the first episode. Strangest game I ever played too.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Four years and two months after their initial Gamescom trailer was released to the public, Routine finally has a release date.

There may have been a bunch of sci-fi horror games released since then but I'm always game for one more, especially when it features something as interesting as permadeath in a genre such as this.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

what sort of permadeath.

Are we talking no saves back to start of the game permadeath or thats it cant play the game again permadeath?

BlitzKrieg wrote: »
    what sort of permadeath.

Are we talking no saves back to start of the game permadeath or thats it cant play the game again permadeath?
    Oh, the former :o

No HUD, no health bar, a singular, power-limited albeit upgradeable tool for help navigating and defending yourself as you move through the moon base setting in a non-linear fashion... It's ticking a whole bunch of boxes for me so far anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

gizmo wrote: »
    Oh, the former :o

No HUD, no health bar, a singular, power-limited albeit upgradeable tool for help navigating and defending yourself as you move through the moon base setting in a non-linear fashion... It's ticking a whole bunch of boxes for me so far anyway.

ahh good I like sci fi horror games. Alien Isolation was my favourite game of 2014 and Soma was also very enjoyable. So this is going on to my watch list.

A new thatgamecompany game approaches! Been a long time since Journey - both literally and in terms of what's happened in indie gaming - so fascinated to find out what they have cooking.

https://twitter.com/thatgamecompany/status/793505387467018242

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Sonics2k wrote: »
    Just an update to that whole Blizzard shutting down a particularly well known Private server, there have been some rather massive changes and updates.

https://twitter.com/NostalBegins/status/726049479208529920

and a direct commentary from one of the Lead Developers

Continued here

Hopefully this all comes out well for the gaming community, it would be great to see a Legacy realm made available by Blizzard themselves.

Finally following up from this one.
    Blizzard sadly have stated they would not be discussing anything to do with a Legacy server at Blizzcon, and have by all accounts, not contacted the team at Nostalrius at all since they went to Blizzard HQ. A few members of the press have directly asked Blizzard questions about it, to which they have been dismissed.

However, it seems that Nostalrius is not letting go.

https://twitter.com/NostalBegins/status/795294897695784964

Digital Foundry is heading to patreon, starting their own site for hosting higher quality videos for patreon supporters.

New site's also a .net which I think is funny as there's been a few times when their staff have mention how the higher ups regretted going with the .net in the beginning.

Digital Foundary

• Registered Users Posts: 5,576 ✭✭✭EoinHef

I do read their reviews or watch their video reviews the odd time but theres zero chance of me paying a sub for them. Plenty of reliable tech sites out there now that dont charge.

Best of luck to them because ive found them decent but i cant see it working. Maybe initially but not in the long term.

The sell seems to be around 4k , it's the type of content I really don't need to be 4k I usually only watch their test videos for the ugly details on frame rate and performance issues.

Certainly wouldn't pay a 5er a month to access 4k let's play videos and reviews when I could simply click and watch the lower def version on the same page for free, which is currently how their site is set up.

Maybe good will towards them will shift a few subs but as above don't see it lasting.

Someone has created a playlist with all the trailers from this years IGF. There are 574 of them in all so if you fancy wading through them, have at it...

From flicking through it (briefly) so far, I didn't know we were getting a sequel to Bleed which is great news. If you haven't played the original, you really should. Aerobat still looks like the love child of Luftrausers and a side scrolling shump so the sooner that gets a release date, the better.

There's obviously a lot of borderline chaff in there but, buried in amongst them, there's also a good few really neat looking projects worth keeping an eye on.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Mass Effect 2 and 3 have just hit Xbox One backwards compatibility, definitely time for me to have another play through now.

It'll be interesting to keep an eye on CEX's pricing. Both games are no €4 and €5 respectively, I can see that taking a big jump tomorrow if their reaction to CoD becoming backwards compatible is any guide.

EoinHef wrote: »
    I do read their reviews or watch their video reviews the odd time but theres zero chance of me paying a sub for them. Plenty of reliable tech sites out there now that dont charge.

Best of luck to them because ive found them decent but i cant see it working. Maybe initially but not in the long term.

Like said above it's just same content as they're uploading to Youtube, but as they've been saying for the last year for PC and now with the PS4 pro so much detail is lost over youtube or most streaming.
    The sell seems to be around 4k , it's the type of content I really don't need to be 4k I usually only watch their test videos for the ugly details on frame rate and performance issues.

Certainly wouldn't pay a 5er a month to access 4k let's play videos and reviews when I could simply click and watch the lower def version on the same page for free, which is currently how their site is set up.

Maybe good will towards them will shift a few subs but as above don't see it lasting.

Not lower def, you'll still get the 4k videos on youtube but they're at a much higher bit rate.

Free video of Tomb raider on the PS4 pro/PC comparison, at 53.3mbps (823MB for 2 minutes 9 seconds of video)

Rise of the tomb raider; ps4 pro vs titan-x pascal

They can't really fail, it's small scale and easily scaled up/down and the content is already done.

This is such a non-issue. Professionals in the same line of work discussing topics that concern them is called networking and happens in every profession.

• Advertisement

Except what's being defended is collusion, not networking. GJP was used for blacklisting and narrative spinning.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement