Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gaming News

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,754 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Anyway people that play and like games enough to discuss them on a forum will turn their nose up at the awfulness of mobile games but they make up a tiny minority of the market. The market that actually matters who only buy one or two games a year are slowly turning to mobile for their fix and a lot of young kids as well are turning to mobile.

Relates to the US only
    http://essentialfacts.theesa.com/Essential-Facts-2016.pdf

And it's not a case of turning noses up at the more casual type of gamers, it's a case of thinking about everyone I know and how they play games. People/relations I know who are into mobile games like Clash of Clans or Boom Beach or whatever, most of them also have a console and buy several games a year. And kids in my family who play mobile games on phone/tablet generally also have either a console or a handheld.

Mobile gaming has definitely cultivated a new type of gamer and is a huge industry in itself, but I really think you're overstating the effect it's having or is likely to have over here. The mobile gaming market is supported financially by very few, and the majority of games released make little money. It's only a small few big games which became sensations.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

What amazes me about Mobile Games is just how **** they are.

Surely they can be better? Clash of Clans and all that ilk are just absolutely horrible.

Nintendo games from the 80's are tiny in their file size and computational requirements - while being quality - why arent they widely available?

You do have some modern games like XCOM or GTA on mobile but they are not really playable and hammer the hell out of sh1tty mobile batteries.

There's a happy medium to be had...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,414 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Mobile gaming isn't about good gameplay it's about using the same horrible psychological manipulation, the same they using in the gambling industry, to replace fun with addiction and unhealthy compulsion.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

It's hard enough to come up with a game design that is actually fun, compelling and has depth on any platform. Add to that the restriction of only a multitouch screen for input and the fact that there doesn't seem to be much of a market for it and we'll... What's the incentive when you can just develop some addictive match 3 game to make some bank?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,460 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

J Mysterio wrote: »
    What amazes me about Mobile Games is just how **** they are.

There's a happy medium to be had...

There is a happy medium, and there are plenty of great mobile games. I feel like I need to stress this, as I really think there's a lot of great mobile games that don't get the credit they're due.

It has, for example, proven a particularly strong medium for narrative experiments - titles such as 80 Days, the superb Simogo games (Sailor's Dream, Device 6, Year Walk) and Reigns feel at home on phones & tablets, taking advantage of the limits of phones to create uniquely engaging, innovative and clever experiences. Other types of extremely worthwhile experiences range from Alto's Adventure to Monument Valley; Severed to Ridiculous Fishing. You have Super Hexagon, the Room series, the bizarre Rusty Lake series, Spider and it sequel, Square Enix's 'Go' efforts...

For all the generic 'match three' style games there are brilliant examples of the puzzle genre too - Threes! is a masterpiece (accept no imitations), You Must Build A Boat is an inspired hybrid of tile matching and RPG mechanics, then there's Drop7, SPL-T, Framed... And for all the dodgy ports with their barely usable virtual D-Pads, other types of games have made the transition much more confidently - the magnificent Mini Metro is right at home on a touch screen IMO, as are the likes of point and click adventures.

And let's be perfectly clear: if anybody can name a weirder and more mechanically subversive console game than Hidden my game by mom (and the other pieces of wonderful lunacy from Hap Inc) they are a damn liar :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Any person I know who plays mobile games does not play video games, to dismiss that demographic is idiotic.

There is billions to be made in mobile gaming.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭Benzino

The problem with mobile games is that people feel they aren't worth more than a few euro but expect high quality games (like the Mario reference above).

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Benzino wrote: »
    The problem with mobile games is that people feel they aren't worth more than a few euro but expect high quality games (like the Mario reference above).
    Not to be pedantic, but that's a problem with people, not the games.

The reaction from some folk to Nintendo charging for content was pretty amazing alright, even by mobile market standards but then again, after the reception Ustwo got for charging for the Forgotten Shores expansion to Monument Valley, I probably shouldn't be surprised anymore.

The most recent head scratcher was for a review for Her Story, a game I only recently finished on the PC. I was curious to see how folk felt it handled on mobile devices and this review kind of stood out...
    Kind of annoyed.. I'm kind of annoyed I paid for this game. I don't really feel like it was worth the $4. It was interesting but so short. I got a couple days of play out of it and that's it. I'd expect to pay less than that for a game I would play for years. Shame.
    Emphasis is mine obviously. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭Benzino

gizmo wrote: »
    Not to be pedantic, but that's a problem with people, not the games.

Oh totally, because people are the worst!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Sega just released loads of their old soundtracks onto Spotify today. Listening to some Sonic and Skies of Arcadia at the moment :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,327 ✭✭✭dunworth1

Kiith wrote: »
    Sega just released loads of their old soundtracks onto Spotify today. Listening to some Sonic and Skies of Arcadia at the moment :)

That's the morning commute sorted

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Ace Combat 7 trailer. Can't wait for it, and hopefully they've gotten rid of the CQB or whatever it was called from the last one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭Noxin

• Registered Users Posts: 4,470 ✭✭✭SolvableKnave

No great love of the Marvel films, I know loads love them but not my cup of tea. Teams involved though have the potential to make some great games around the Marvel IP.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,108 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Long way away yet, but Classic FM will start airing a video game music program in April

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2017-01-25-classic-fm-to-launch-a-new-video-game-music-show

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

• Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

Former Rockstar North's president Leslies Benzies announces new project called Everywhere (working title). Its website describes it as "a videogame that simulates and fuses the real world with the virtual. Live your own stories as you live in ours." Right......

PC Gamer Story

🤪

• Registered Users Posts: 4,470 ✭✭✭SolvableKnave

Sabre0001 wrote: »
    Former Rockstar North's president Leslies Benzies announces new project called Everywhere (working title). Its website describes it as "a videogame that simulates and fuses the real world with the virtual. Live your own stories as you live in ours." Right......

PC Gamer Story

Second Life 2.5?

• Advertisement

Sabre0001 wrote: »

PC Gamer Story

Using the Amazon Lumberyard engine too. Don't think I've seen anything made using that yet :confused:

Using the Amazon Lumberyard engine too. Don't think I've seen anything made using that yet :confused:
    Star Citizen is the only game officially announced to be using it yet I think? In any case, it's a branch of CryEngine so at least you'll have an idea of what it's capable of from that.

gizmo wrote: »
    Star Citizen is the only game officially announced to be using it yet I think? In any case, it's a branch of CryEngine so at least you'll have an idea of what it's capable of from that.

Being free you'd think there would be an uptake of sorts but I guess the devil is in the detail as it all ties back to AWS which does cost money :D

Being free you'd think there would be an uptake of sorts but I guess the devil is in the detail as it all ties back to AWS which does cost money :D
    Depends who you're expecting the uptick from. The indie and mid-tier development community have fully embraced Unity and GameMaker whereas the larger scale developers have once again gone for Unreal and did so at the expense of CryEngine. There are outliers of course, including those studios who roll their own engine but, generally speaking, the lack of uptake and the fact that the only two announced titles are heavily online-based aren't particularly surprising.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Namco founder Masaya Nakamura died last week, although it was only announced today, he was 91.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,458 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

Amazon may be taking on Valve in the online gaming stakes

https://autconomy.com/2017/01/29/is-amazon-taking-on-steam/

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,414 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Well competition is always good but it prefer if that competition could open up on consoles. Once they go digital and each console has a store controlled by the platform holder it's only going to get much worse, it's bad enough as is.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,842 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

• Registered Users Posts: 12,458 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

Fallout 4 high resolution pack for PC coming out next week only 58GB :eek:

http://www.pcgamer.com/fallout-4-high-resolution-texture-pack-arrives-next-week-for-pc/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,468 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

Skerries wrote: »
    Fallout 4 high resolution pack for PC coming out next week only 58GB :eek:

http://www.pcgamer.com/fallout-4-high-resolution-texture-pack-arrives-next-week-for-pc/

Luckily I swapped out a 500gb drive for 1tb there yesterday, or I'd have no room for it! :D

That's just the texture pack though?
    For comparison, Watch Dogs 2 pack was just shy of 7gb :eek:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement