Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gaming News

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2017-02-28-microsoft-announces-ea-access-style-xbox-game-pass-subscription

This is a pretty big deal, time will tell if it's worth its value though. The games that they have shown in the screenshot aren't exactly fresh off the presses.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,942 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

dunworth1 wrote: »
    From Subset games (FTL) comes Into The Breach

http://ftlgame.com/itb.html

Well thats a bit disappointing isnt it? One hit wonders.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,353 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Thargor wrote: »

Wha?

Looks deadly to me, can't wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,327 ✭✭✭dunworth1

Thargor wrote: »

how is it disappointing? looks like a deadly game to me also

Gamestops stock price tanked by 8% with microsofts news earlier, has recovered and is at at -2.08% as of now.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭lawlolawl

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2017-02-28-microsoft-announces-ea-access-style-xbox-game-pass-subscription

This is a pretty big deal, time will tell if it's worth its value though. The games that they have shown in the screenshot aren't exactly fresh off the presses.

Won't make the slightest bit of difference.

Xbox is failing because it has no worthwhile exclusives. Offering a subscription for a bunch of old games along with a tepid selection of mediocre exclusives no one really wants anyway isn't going to save the platform.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

lawlolawl wrote: »
    Won't make the slightest bit of difference.

Xbox is failing because it has no worthwhile exclusives. Offering a subscription for a bunch of old games along with a tepid selection of mediocre exclusives no one really wants anyway isn't going to save the platform.

26 million console sales after 3 years and a rocky start. I think you need to clean your windows sir lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

26 million console sales after 3 years and a rocky start. I think you need to clean your windows sir lol.

Which ain't worth jack since those 26 million punters have bugger all exclusives to buy.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,743 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

7zK6iz.gif

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,415 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Venom wrote: »
    Which ain't worth jack since those 26 million punters have bugger all exclusives to buy.

Kind of the same the PS4 though. Mine is barely touched. Then again most PS4 owners don't have a gaming PC and neither do Xbox one owners and in that case the two machines are so homogenous you are barely missing out choosing one over the other. You'll get a decent experience out of either but having both is a waste of time.

Both pale in comparison to the 3DS. Come fight me!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

I rarely use my Xbox One. I played a good few games on it like Halo 5, Tony Hawks Pro Skater 5, Sunset Overdrive, Gears of War and I have it just in case Red Dead Redemption 2 doesn't come to PC like the first then I will know for sure it was a good investment.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

Venom wrote: »
    That's strange given that I can count good exclusives for the PS4 on one hand and good Xbox exclusives on the other.

The no exclusives statement is a weak argument. Better to say it lacks exclusives that appeal to you.

I enjoy the exclusives on both platforms.

Xbox is on the up and up. They keep giving gamers what they want. We ask for backward compatibility and we got it for free. PS4 owners asked for backward compatibility and they were given nada.
    EA access, a ground breaking service to give gamers great value. Turned down by Playstation with a depressing statement about how it didn't represent good value for PSN customers. It was then welcomed on Xbox.
    In my opinion PSN plus games have fallen behind Games with Gold. It used to be the other way around.

Take everything that Xbox is right now and put it into the Scorpio and you have got one hell of a console.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭lawlolawl

That's strange given that I can count good exclusives for the PS4 on one hand and good Xbox exclusives on the other.

The no exclusives statement is a weak argument. Better to say it lacks exclusives that appeal to you.

I enjoy the exclusives on both platforms.

Xbox is on the up and up. They keep giving gamers what they want. We ask for backward compatibility and we got it for free. PS4 owners asked for backward compatibility and they were given nada.
    EA access, a ground breaking service to give gamers great value. Turned down by Playstation with a depressing statement about how it didn't represent good value for PSN customers. It was then welcomed on Xbox.
    In my opinion PSN plus games have fallen behind Games with Gold. It used to be the other way around.

Take everything that Xbox is right now and put it into the Scorpio and you have got one hell of a console.

So, old 360 games and old EA games?

Be still my beating heart :P

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Kind of the same the PS4 though. Mine is barely touched. Then again most PS4 owners don't have a gaming PC and neither do Xbox one owners and in that case the two machines are so homogenous you are barely missing out choosing one over the other. You'll get a decent experience out of either but having both is a waste of time.

You'd be well covered (ignoring Nintendo) with a PS4 and a PC as all Xbox exclusives will be available on Win 10. I can see that affecting sales of scorpio if there is a premium price attached to it.

The stars have aligned for Sony the last 3 months with some great games released from Japan. Phil Spencer has taken this on board as he was over in Japan last week talking to publishers.
    Not sure how receptive Japanese publishers are to Xbox anymore as sales in Japan are tiny

december-2016-sales-15-2.png

http://www.vgchartz.com/article/267446/ps4-vs-xbox-one-vs-wii-u-japan-lifetime-salesdecember-2016-update/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭ibFoxer

Retr0gamer wrote: »

Nail->Head.

So little difference between either, the fanboy war is utterly, utterly pointless.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,098 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

I have had all PlayStation and Xboxs released. I prefer Xbox but still wouldn't be without my PlayStation.

Did PlayStation not announce a similar service to the Xbox Pass a few years ago and still not launch it here?

I saw a few people mention Rory McIlroy and Fifa games in a sale on PS Store recently and I think both cost €25. As far as I'm aware both are available on EA Access for €25 a year, along with loads of other games. It's a great service, especially if your kids play as they have so many games to work through.

To the person that said Xbox has no exclusives as someone else mentioned they may have no exclusives suitable for you but Ori and the Blind Forest, Sunset Overdrive, ReCore, Halo, Forza, GOW, Halo Wars and Quantum Break are all very good games and I've enjoyed playing those I've had time to put considerable time into. What I would say is they are all very 'Western' focused though.

I bought my PS4 for Bloodborne, I also want to pick up Ni Oh and have Uncharted. What other PS4 exclusives should I consider? I can't really think of many more, bar the zombie game coming out? I've played Killzone series and didn't think much of it (Titanfall 2 campaign is the new bar on FPS campaigns for me).

• Registered Users Posts: 9,202 ✭✭✭maximoose

emmetkenny wrote: »
    Did PlayStation not announce a similar service to the Xbox Pass a few years ago and still not launch it here?

PSNow, a little different in that you were streaming the games rather than being able to download and install - have never tried it myself but feedback I've seen is it's not great, silly pricing scheme and some input lag.

I have had all PlayStation and Xboxs released. I prefer Xbox but still wouldn't be without my PlayStation.

I saw a few people mention Rory McIlroy and Fifa games in a sale on PS Store recently and I think both cost €25. As far as I'm aware both are available on EA Access for €25 a year, along with loads of other games. It's a great service, especially if your kids play as they have so many games to work through.

To the person that said Xbox has no exclusives as someone else mentioned they may have no exclusives suitable for you but Ori and the Blind Forest, Sunset Overdrive, ReCore, Halo, Forza, GOW, Halo Wars and Quantum Break are all very good games and I've enjoyed playing those I've had time to put considerable time into. What I would say is they are all very 'Western' focused though.

I bought my PS4 for Bloodborne, I also want to pick up Ni Oh and have Uncharted. What other PS4 exclusives should I consider? I can't really think of many more, bar the zombie game coming out? I've played Killzone series and didn't think much of it (Titanfall 2 campaign is the new bar on FPS campaigns for me).

Playstation now I think it is, but it's essentially their answer to backwards compatibility , it's around 100 a year for access to around 400 PS3 game which are streamed to your ps4.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,754 ✭✭✭✭Penn

A rocky start which was their own fault, and less than half of what PS4 has sold in the same timeframe without having things such as backwards compatibility, EA Access and the better games on GwG as opposed to PS+.

Which just goes to show, those things aren't as important to consumers as you think. Exclusives are. Even now on different forums people are saying they've just bought a PS4 for Horizon, and even asking for recommendations on what other PS4 exclusives to try. You say you can count good PS4 exclusives on one hand?

latest?cb=20100922215025

Also, some very good points raised here about Microsoft and their future:

Penn wrote: »
    A rocky start which was their own fault, and less than half of what PS4 has sold in the same timeframe without having things such as backwards compatibility, EA Access and the better games on GwG as opposed to PS+.

Which just goes to show, those things aren't as important to consumers as you think. Exclusives are. Even now on different forums people are saying they've just bought a PS4 for Horizon, and even asking for recommendations on what other PS4 exclusives to try. You say you can count good PS4 exclusives on one hand?

latest?cb=20100922215025

I think PS sold way more out of the gates though before Xbox even announced Backwards compatibility and EA Access.

If Xbox hadn't been lagging so far behind in sales at the start then the above might never have happened, so I suppose you can see it as a positive.

Xbox problem was they tried to be too many things to too many people whereas PS stuck to what they knew, a games console for gamers. Phil Spencer has come in now and is getting Xbox back on track but it'll take a while.

I really don't get all this console fanboyism either. Most of us are adults and most of us can objectively say both consoles have good and bad points. But at the end of the day isnt playing either console better than going out into the real world :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,415 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Can we stop the console wars right here. Not the place for it and it's pathetic.

Consider this a mod warning.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

I have had all PlayStation and Xboxs released.
    Did you buy an Ouya too?

:pac:

Taylor365 wrote: »
    Did you buy an Ouya too?

:pac:

Nope but tempted by the Switch :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

The switch has something the xbone and ps4 don't. The ability to play while on the toilet. Thats a system seller! :p

Unless....you want to set up an interconnected system of mirrors.....hmm.......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

Kirby wrote: »
    The switch has something the xbone and ps4 don't. The ability to play while on the toilet. Thats a system seller! :p

I do that with me Vita. Mind you, I've crippled myself a couple of times by cutting off the blood supply to my legs from sitting on the bog too long.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

• Registered Users Posts: 8,798 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

Kirby wrote: »

On the Xbox side of things, you can stream it to any Windows 10 laptop/tablet so can continue gaming on toilet too, if that's what you're really into :p

You can even get tablets specifically made for such a thing:
    OAakher.jpg?1
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Linx-Vision-inch-Tablet-Controller/dp/B0187U2M1O/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1488486420&sr=8-3&keywords=linx+tablet

MiskyBoyy wrote: »
    On the Xbox side of things, you can stream it to any Windows 10 laptop/tablet so can continue gaming on toilet too, if that's what you're really into :p

You can even get tablets specifically made for such a thing:
    OAakher.jpg?1
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Linx-Vision-inch-Tablet-Controller/dp/B0187U2M1O/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1488486420&sr=8-3&keywords=linx+tablet

no Zelda or Bomberman though

hurry up 00:01

toilet gaming in work :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,798 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

dunworth1 wrote: »
    no Zelda or Bomberman though

hurry up 00:01

toilet gaming in work :D

Bomberman? What is this, 1983??:eek:

Hey, I'm not saying the Switch isn't cool. I'm just saying you can game on the toilet with the other platforms :D

• Advertisement

MiskyBoyy wrote: »
    Bomberman? What is this, 1983??:eek:

Hey, I'm not saying the Switch isn't cool. I'm just saying you can game on the toilet with the other platforms :D

don't be knocking Bomberman

1j4ovb.jpg

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement