Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gaming News

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

They are not wrong in some of what they say but but it's telling of the times we live in that Valve would entertain these gob****es. I'd regularly side with Jim on a lot of things but see him for what he is and how he earns a living.

TB is also the biggest Curator page on STEAM, if you watch the video he brings up valid points and criticisms.
    At least they are both articulate and critical enough to communicate sensibly what they see as the problems with STEAM and Valve.

Or would you rather send in PewdiePie and JackSepticFace ?
    "Hey Brah....gotta change the STEAM doood"
    "Ta be sure ta be sure boyo oh ho hooo look at me"

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

Valve's reddit Q&A was interesting because nobody responded well to their monetising mods argument. I'd prefer more things like that, even with how bad reddit is. Was a fan of both of the previously mentioned youtubers but not anymore.

I don't think it was mentioned, SPJ kunkel awards were announced and the results aren't very impressive. http://www.oneangrygamer.net/2017/04/spj-kunkel-hands-out-awards-to-gameranx-kotaku-polygon-allthink/27797/ Good to see Brad Glasgow get a bit of recognition, though.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,415 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

And for all the abuse and hate TB gets he has now called out Gearbox for partnering with G2A.

Gearbox have now set a list of conditions that G2A must adhere to in order to partner with them

http://www.twitlonger.com/show/n_1spp1mm

• Registered Users Posts: 33,754 ✭✭✭✭Penn

SeantheMan wrote: »
    And for all the abuse and hate TB gets he has now called out Gearbox for partnering with G2A.

Gearbox have now set a list of conditions that G2A must adhere to in order to partner with them

http://www.twitlonger.com/show/n_1spp1mm

G2A didn't respond to the conditions within 24 hours so the deal is off altogether.

Randy Pitchford has also said on twitter that it was the developer People Can Fly who arranged the deal with G2A, not Gearbox, and Randy himself only found out recently.

So basically, Randy Pitchford Randy Pitchford'd the whole thing.

• Advertisement

really how a AAA dev doesn't know that G2A are shady at this stage is beyond me.

Gearbox should concentrate on making Borderlands 3 instead of trying to make new money from old rope, I mean ffs they have a cash cow they are too incompetent to milk.

EDIT: Yeah Randy is a total gob****e.

And I fear for Borderland 3 , a lot of the talent has left.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Gearbox Publishing and Gearbox Software are two different companies run by different people guys. The latter are the ones making the likes of Borderlands 3 which is still being published by 2K whereas the former were only setup awhile ago and have released the two more recent Homeworld titles, Duke Nukem World Tour, Bulletstorm and that odd looking Penn & Teller VR game they announced at PAX.

The G2A deal stunk to high heaven but there's a hell a lot of people and companies being conflated here.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,249 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

SeantheMan wrote: »
    TB is also the biggest Curator page on STEAM, if you watch the video he brings up valid points and criticisms.
    At least they are both articulate and critical enough to communicate sensibly what they see as the problems with STEAM and Valve.

Or would you rather send in PewdiePie and JackSepticFace ?
    "Hey Brah....gotta change the STEAM doood"
    "Ta be sure ta be sure boyo oh ho hooo look at me"

It's also important to keep in mind that TB kinda dates the Youtuber thing.
    I remember Warcraft Radio and listening to his BluePlz show. Even in those days he was showing himself to have a bit of influence over gaming culture.

Blizzard themselves had a bit of a love/hate relationship with him.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,754 ✭✭✭✭Penn

gizmo wrote: »
    Gearbox Publishing and Gearbox Software are two different companies run by different people guys. The latter are the ones making the likes of Borderlands 3 which is still being published by 2K whereas the former were only setup awhile ago and have released the two more recent Homeworld titles, Duke Nukem World Tour, Bulletstorm and that odd looking Penn & Teller VR game they announced at PAX.

The G2A deal stunk to high heaven but there's a hell a lot of people and companies being conflated here.

That's fair enough, and I accept Pitchford likely may not have known about the deal.

But he threw People Can Fly under the bus with his comments, and with what has happened with Gearbox's involvement in other games and how he's done the same to other companies GB has worked with just constantly makes them look bad.

Penn wrote: »
    That's fair enough, and I accept Pitchford likely may not have known about the deal.

But he threw People Can Fly under the bus with his comments, and with what has happened with Gearbox's involvement in other games and how he's done the same to other companies GB has worked with just constantly makes them look bad.
    If PCF were the ones responsible for the deal then I don't see anything wrong with Pitchford pointing that fact out given the coverage of and backlash against the deal though.

He's specifically mentioned their CEO by name as the one who wanted to work with G2A too so it's not like he's doing it in an underhanded way either.

• Advertisement

Engadget seem to be jumping the gun and saying Bayonetta is officially coming to Steam following the countdown site appearing on the SEGA site a week or so ago.

EDIT: Confirmed.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

Keys scammed by email are legit "because they come from the developers", say G2A

If they're classed as a legitimate keys, you can see why G2A didn't want to allow access to a database of keys relevant to developers and/or publishers where they could flag "fraudulent" ones for removal. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,576 ✭✭✭EoinHef

Cant really see how thats G2A's fault,the dev actually sent the key to the person via email with no idea what they would do with said key,yet when it pops up on G2A its G2A's fault?

Sorry noy buying it,not saying G2A are not shady but in this instance id agree with their stance

• Registered Users Posts: 12,539 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Keys are a bit archaic, a hold over from the physical releases can't see them lasting much longer in any case.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,415 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Varik wrote: »
    Keys are a bit archaic, a hold over from the physical releases can't see them lasting much longer in any case.

I hope they stay. Keeps competition up on PC and prices down. The market place is much more consumer friendly compared to the closed wall stores of consoles which are extremely poor when it comes to sales and price reductions due to no competition to their store.

EoinHef wrote: »
    Cant really see how thats G2A's fault,the dev actually sent the key to the person via email with no idea what they would do with said key,yet when it pops up on G2A its G2A's fault?

Sorry noy buying it,not saying G2A are not shady but in this instance id agree with their stance
    The key itself was obtained illegitimately though, as the article says, the requests come from people claiming to be "content creators, YouTubers, streamers, or press" and are given out on the basis that they'll be used by those people for their intended purpose. Just because the key is valid because it was generated by the developer doesn't make the transaction on G2A's end legitimate.

G2A's fault lies in not allowing developers or publishers the ability to view keys on the service and determine their authenticity. The only exception to this is, as per their previous statement, is:
    G2A.COM currently cooperates with all interested developers to ensure only legally acquired keys are sold - without any contracts and, more importantly, without any fees. All a developer must to do is provide evidence that the keys that they want to block have been illegally acquired (this evidence can be, for example, a report from a financial institution).
    The only evidence that should be required in this case is the developer or publisher pointing out that the key was acquired using what is, in effect, a phishing scam and the only reasonable way they can tell if that's the case is if they have access to the keys available.

To me thats a huge stretch imo,if i con you out of something then i sell it on adverts is that adverts fault?

To me thats a huge stretch imo,if i con you out of something then i sell it on adverts is that adverts fault?
    Not at all. But if I contact Adverts and tell them you conned me out of said item, I'd expect them to pull the ad, not claim it's a legitimate item and offer me 10% of the fee you sell it for :)

gizmo wrote: »
    Not at all. But if I contact Adverts and tell them you conned me out of said item, I'd expect them to pull the ad, not claim it's a legitimate item and offer me 10% of the fee you sell it for :)

My understanding is that there is a system in place to report stolen keys but that they wont just give devs access to the database to pull/put a hold on the key themselves which is where the issue lies. Im open to correction there but thats how ive read it in previous articles. Now that means the key could be sold by the time G2A check but the same could also happen with adverts,adverts dont give people the option to go in and put a hold on ads.

I dont want to sound like im defending G2A here,they do have some prerty bad policies. But if a dev gives away a key for free without vetting who they give it to id say thats careless on their behalf too and the marketplace where said key is sold holds a very minor reaponsibility for the selling of the key.

• Advertisement

My understanding is that there is a system in place to report stolen keys but that they wont just give devs access to the database to pull/put a hold on the key themselves which is where the issue lies. Im open to correction there but thats how ive read it in previous articles. Now that means the key could be sold by the time G2A check but the same could also happen with adverts,adverts dont give people the option to go in and put a hold on ads.

I dont want to sound like im defending G2A here,they do have some prerty bad policies. But if a dev gives away a key for free without vetting who they give it to id say thats careless on their behalf too and the marketplace where said key is sold holds a very minor reaponsibility for the selling of the key.
    Don't worry, I don't think you're defending them at all. :)

The system in place at the moment allows a developer or publisher to submit a list of keys obtained illegally to G2A along with complimentary evidence of said illegality and G2A will remove them. What Gearbox wanted was that:
    Within 90 days, G2A will open up a web service or API to certified developers and publishers to search for and flag for immediate removal, keys that are fraudulent. This access will be free of charge and will not require payment by the content holders.
    Note the difference in language here, illegal and fraudulent. As G2A have said themselves, they believe keys obtained from developers, regardless of whether the request was fraudulent or not, to be legitimate and therefore wouldn't come under this heading.

G2As objection to offering service this, as per section 3 of their own statement, is wider than this specific issue though and the discussion around it is probably also wider than this thread will allow.

As for that last point about marketplaces holding minor responsibility for the selling of the key. All G2A would need to do in this case is remove the key from their database, nothing more and nothing less. They wouldn't lose anything and the developer/publisher wouldn't lose anything. The only person that would lose something would be the person who scammed the key in the first place. While you could argue it was careless on behalf of the developer or publisher, I still don't think they should be made suffer when the solution is so straightforward.

There always has to be a burden of proof though,are we saying accusations make people guilty?

While i would agree the better system would be to immediately put a hold keys while things can be investigated,just letting devs have wide open access to the system to put keys on hold with zero explanation would be a mistake and open to abuse imo.

From the statement you linked:
    Our marketplace is a leader in security and boasts one of the lowest fraud rates in the industry. G2A.COM employs over 100 people whose job is to ensure the legality of keys, transaction security, and compliance with the most stringent anti-fraud regulations.

Just a snippet from section 3,they do mention fraudulent and not just illegal keys.

I think where we differ is i feel devs have the responsibility to look after keys they generate themselves,if they are generating keys and giving them away to people,with no vetting process,for free they have to expect abuse of this system. Doesnt mean its right but ignoring that reality then crying foul after the fact seems a little silly to me. The crime being commited here is by the person fraudulently obtaining the key,not by the marketplace unless they knowingly allow stolen/fraudulent keys to be sold imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Sieghardt

I think where we differ is i feel devs have the responsibility to look after keys they generate themselves,if they are generating keys and giving them away to people,with no vetting process

This is a bit ridiculous to be honest and would be incredibly harmful to small developers. Asking tiny teams or even 1 man garage developers to do forensic vetting on hundreds maybe even thousands of applications would kill them and they have to look to that many places because it's not like IGN are gonna cover them. Without coverage they'll also likely die. Not only that but it's far more difficult to do identity checks on buttmaster666@youtube than it is for G2A to have a small duty of care when they have real names and addresses and credit card info and can detect suspicious patterns far more easily.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,458 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

Bandai Namco tease new IP

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

From Software also working on a new IP.

#PrepareToDine

Dark Souls style cookery game upcoming? Kill the beast, then cook and serve.

Sieghardt wrote: »
    This is a bit ridiculous to be honest and would be incredibly harmful to small developers. Asking tiny teams or even 1 man garage developers to do forensic vetting on hundreds maybe even thousands of applications would kill them and they have to look to that many places because it's not like IGN are gonna cover them. Without coverage they'll also likely die. Not only that but it's far more difficult to do identity checks on buttmaster666@youtube than it is for G2A to have a small duty of care when they have real names and addresses and credit card info and can detect suspicious patterns far more easily.

If they generate keys and give them out how is that any body elses problem though? Its not up to anybody else to make sure those keys are used in the proper way. Ridiculous to think otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,868 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

As much as it pains me to side with any of those key seller sites, in this case I think G2A have been misrepresented.

In the article the G2A person is clearly not saying that the practice of contacting Devs and saying you are a Youtuber and getting a key under false pretense is legit.

They are saying that those keys are created by the Devs and as such are real keys, and not in the same bracket as ones bought with stolen credit cards.

The devs have to take some responsibility if they are handing out thousands of keys to randomyoutuber47 and putting the burden on G2A to check their authenticity.

There always has to be a burden of proof though,are we saying accusations make people guilty?
    The burden of proof here lies on the developer/publisher, sure, but under G2A's current system that should be as simple as showing them that the key was requested for promotional purposes of some description rather than ending up on a third party re-selling site. The problem is G2A have said they believe these keys to be legitimate and rather than agreeing to remove them, simply offer the developer 10% of the price of their sale.
    While i would agree the better system would be to immediately put a hold keys while things can be investigated,just letting devs have wide open access to the system to put keys on hold with zero explanation would be a mistake and open to abuse imo.
    Well, here's the kicker. I don't believe a developer or publisher would abuse the system under these circumstances. Separate to this, however, G2A argue that "abuse" would include attempting to remove from sale keys which have been obtained from Humble Bundle purchases. Like I said, the validity of the second point here is part of a far wider debate that's not particular suited to the Gaming News thread. :)
    From the statement you linked:

Just a snippet from section 3,they do mention fraudulent and not just illegal keys.

I think where we differ is i feel devs have the responsibility to look after keys they generate themselves,if they are generating keys and giving them away to people,with no vetting process,for free they have to expect abuse of this system. Doesnt mean its right but ignoring that reality then crying foul after the fact seems a little silly to me. The crime being commited here is by the person fraudulently obtaining the key,not by the marketplace unless they knowingly allow stolen/fraudulent keys to be sold imo.
    I'm not saying they don't shoulder some of the responsibility but if they're actively trying to remedy the situation and G2A literally acknowledge that the keys have been swindled, for them to offer a paltry fee from the sale of the key rather than just removing it from their database at no cost to them, is pretty outrageous and flies in the face of their claim of compliance with any kind of anti-fraud regulations.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,607 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

From Software also working on a new IP.

#PrepareToDine

Dark Souls style cookery game upcoming? Kill the beast, then cook and serve.

A Souls game with a female protagonist as default?
    Seems to have all of the Souls elements in the teaser.
    And then a mechanic around consuming those you vanquish maybe?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    A Souls game with a female protagonist as default?
    Seems to have all of the Souls elements in the teaser.
    And then a mechanic around consuming those you vanquish maybe?

Lol I'd love to see the internet **** storm that bring about!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement