Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gaming News

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

So it seems Rune has been released onto Steam, interesting news after this article talking about how Human Head are considering a sequel.

Sidenote: Go buy Rune, it's great fun :)

• Registered Users Posts: 29,841 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Australia has finally lifted the ban on R18 games. Queue a load of aussies killing prossies to get their money back and then blaming games and winning!

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/354159/breakthrough-as-australia-ends-ban-on-r18-games/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

sheehy83 wrote: »
    Australia has finally lifted the ban on R18 games. Queue a load of aussies killing prossies to get their money back and then blaming games and winning!

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/354159/breakthrough-as-australia-ends-ban-on-r18-games/

Oh no...what will happen to poor poor Australia now, since it was such a peaceful, non-violent place before and now will be infested with violent games,the [i[sole[/i] reason for all crimes over the past 4 centuries according to most mainstream press.....

Its terrible Joe...wont someone think of the children :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,539 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Is this Microsoft thing being streamed anywhere?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

Varik wrote: »
    Is this Microsoft thing being streamed anywhere?

Its for a tablet isn't it?
    Who cares tbh

GTR63 wrote: »
    Its for a tablet isn't it?
    Who cares tbh
    Before watching it I would have said "anyone with an interest in technology" but after watching it I wouldn't have replied because I'd be too busy throwing money at the screen.

To be honest though, it's quite odd being in that situation after an MS conference of any kind. :o

So, looks like Activision have closed down Radical Entertainment.

Sad to see them go, not only for the 200 odd folk now unemployed but for the fact that they made fun as hell games. I got tens of hours of kick ass entertainment from both the Prototype series and Hulk:UD. Treadstone had been looking pretty damn interesting too but alas, it wasn't to be. :(

I think the price tag of PS4 just went up!

Sony has bought cloud gaming service Gaikai for $380 million. The move, according to Sony Entertainment’s president and group CEO Andrew House, will offer gamers an “unparalleled cloud entertainment experiences”:

“By combining Gaikai’s resources including its technological strength and engineering talent with SCE’s extensive game platform knowledge and experience, SCE will provide users with unparalleled cloud entertainment experiences. SCE will deliver a world-class cloud-streaming service that allows users to instantly enjoy a broad array of content ranging from immersive core games with rich graphics to casual content anytime, anywhere on a variety of internet-connected devices.”

http://thegamingliberty.com/index.php/2012/07/02/its-official-sony-buys-gaikai/

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Total War: Rome 2 set for next year!

Can't wait for this!

600x-1

• Advertisement

Interesting post-mortem over on Gamasutra on the utter cluster**** that was the development of Homefront at Kaos Studtios.

Looks like Michael Fassbender is starring and co-producing the movie adaptation of Assassins Creed.

I can actually see him playing Desmond and then Altair or Ezio.

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/357160/assassins-creed-movie-to-star-michael-fassbender/

Will be interesting to see how this turns out.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭kearneybobs

Looks like Michael Fassbender is starring and co-producing the movie adaptation of Assassins Creed.

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/357160/assassins-creed-movie-to-star-michael-fassbender/

I really admire the approach Ubisoft are taking with their films, maintaining creative control while not messing with the fans of the series.

Fassbender might not be playing Desmond Miles too.
    http://www.joystiq.com/2012/07/09/fassbenders-assassins-creed-character-not-necessarily-desmond/
    Today's news about the often spoken of but never seen Assassin's Creed film adaptation brought word that Prometheus star Michael Fassbender is playing the starring role (Fassbender's DMC Film is also being tapped for co-production). Between his leading man role and the film's description – "a man who learns his ancestors were trained assassins after he is kidnapped by a secret org with ties to the Knights Templar ... [is] sent back in time to retrieve historical artifacts" – it sounded to many like Fassbender would be taking up the role of Desmond Miles, franchise leading man. Not so fast, says Ubisoft.

"Fassbender will play the lead role, but it's too soon to say exactly which character that will be," a Ubi rep told us. Though all signs point to Fassbender playing Miles, the various media surrounding the Assassin's Creed franchise has shied away from focusing on the modern American assassin. Comic book series "The Fall" instead follows Daniel Cross, a Templar sleeper agent, through his family history in the Russian Revolution and beyond. Assassin's Creed: Lineage similarly focused on a backstory – Assassin's Creed 2 protagonist Ezio Auditore's father, Giovanni Auditore – rather than on Desmond.

"The storyline isn't bound by a certain era or even a set of characters," the Ubi rep added. "That kind of freedom gives us great flexibility in creating the movie." Which isn't to say that the film will be a Uwe Boll-esque takeoff on the game series. Like all things Assassin's Creed, Ubisoft is treading carefully so as not to anger longtime fans. "We're also taking the responsibility of maintaining fidelity with the overall story and brand very seriously," the rep said.

There's no planned launch window for the Assassin's Creed film, but Ubisoft Motion Pictures is maintaining creative control over the whole process. Michael Fassbender's DMC Film is collaborating with UMP, but Ubi retains rights to who's directing and who's writing the script.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,532 ✭✭✭WolfForager

Rumours of a new Super Slim PS3 being unveiled at Gamescon. New chassis designed has popped up at the FCC.

New Model:

20120705_01.png

Current Model:

20120705_03.png

Original Model:

20120705_04.png

A guy on NeoGAF has done up a mock up of it based on the specs:

R8cBM.png

If true we'll probably get a price but too, probably to €200.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,190 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

Going back to a flip-top disc tray like the original Playstation? Colour it all grey too and call it the 18th anniversary edition. Let's party like it's 1995.

Was not a fan of the PS2 slim. The power connection at the back came loose and was a pain to fix, also it was too small. There's limit to how small a home console should be.

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭spankmaster2000

Pffft - this is where it's at!

http://www.slashfilm.com/deus-ex-move-game-console-big-screen-cbs-films/

Epic’s Fortnite Will Be The First Unreal Engine 4 Game

Kind of surprised by that, I would have thought they'd lead with the next Unreal Tournament. I guess they're waiting for the next gen of consoles to be released first.

Check out how much gaming companies are making

580863_443489532348512_1722563712_n.jpg

Those are revenue, and not limited to games for the companies that what are not limited to it.

• Advertisement

Oh yeah! GTA 3 heading to PSN on 31st July! Europe should follow soon after.

No HD treatment, no Tophy support, just straight up classic GTA 3. Pity it's not HD as I'm sure it will look crap towards todays standards. Anyone gonna get this?

http://thegamingliberty.com/index.php/2012/07/27/grand-theft-auto-3-looking-good-for-august-1st-psn-release/

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-07-27-grand-theft-auto-3-ps2-classic-psn-release-date

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

That's a very strange and disappointing decision. Sure they could just port the IOS version - all the HD work has already been done there.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

I don't care for HD refurbishments, so I'm not one bit disappointed with regards that, hopefully I can slap that onto the Vita and play GTA III on the go. I do have it on the iOS devices but it's not the same deally...

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

EA released it's first quarter financial results last night. Interesting to see that the PC made them more money then the PS3.
    PcGamer wrote:
    Last night EA announced its financial results for the first quarter of this year, and the figures say some fascinating things about the state of the games industry. There’s number crunching below, along with some interesting insight into the workings of a major publisher.

First, the big news, the report breaks down earning by platform. PC delivered $276 million, the Xbox 360 $292 million and the PS3 $267 million. So the EA, one of the biggest publishers in the world, made more money from the PC than from the PS3.

The PC’s good showing was mostly due to increasing numbers of digital sales. EA made $342 million from those, rising from $232 million last year, while physical sales made $592, dropping from $647 last year. If these trends continue, digital could outpace physical in a year or two, and when that happens at a studio the size of EA, some very interesting things are going to happen to gaming retail.

So where has all that money come from? A lot of it is from Origin, which now has 21 million users. Battlefield Premium also stood out, selling a surprisingly high 1.3 million copies. Fifa Ultimate Team continues to sell like crazy, making $30 million already this year. Rich has something to do with that.

Not everyone can be a winner though, and last nights loser was undoubtedly The Old Republic. Not surprising considering EA just announced that SWTOR was going free to play. The call did shed a little light on why this happened however. VG247 are reporting that SWTORs subscriptions have dipped below a million. According to the results, 40% of players said they didn’t want to play a subscription and might return if the game was free.

So that’s the brave new world of 2012. PCs are making more money than Playstations, digital sales are catching up to physical ones, and subscription fees are going extinct. Hmm.

http://www.pcgamer.com/2012/08/01/ea-financial-results-revealed/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭hooradiation

Kiith wrote: »
    EA released it's first quarter financial results last night. Interesting to see that the PC made them more money then the 360 or PS3.
    PCGamer wrote:
    First, the big news, the report breaks down earning by platform. PC delivered $276 million, the Xbox 360 $292 million and the PS3 $267 million. So the EA, one of the biggest publishers in the world, made more money from the PC than from the PS3.
    http://www.pcgamer.com/2012/08/01/ea-financial-results-revealed/

Ummm, are you sure you know how numbers work?

Ummm, are you sure you know how numbers work?

I do actually, thanks for pointing that.

Edited the original.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Kiith wrote: »
    EA released it's first quarter financial results last night. Interesting to see that the PC made them more money then the PS3.

The Sims. Their expansion packs are 40 quid......the price of most new games. I would also like to add that I was truly flabberghasted when I read a couple months back how much ultimate team made EA accross several of its titles.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Once SWOR goes free to play they'll start making more money off it. Subscription based MMO's are dead with only really WoW hanging in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,743 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

hanging in there with 10million or so subscribers lol

i've no love for blizzard but after almost 9 years of WoW they are doing something right.

• Advertisement

Warcraft will probably be the last successful subscription based MMO though. Pretty much every major release on the horizon is going f2p.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement