Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gaming News

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    A Souls game with a female protagonist as default?
    Seems to have all of the Souls elements in the teaser.
    And then a mechanic around consuming those you vanquish maybe?

Femi-Tears

Its actually a feminist life simulator, consume male tears to level up.

Crap jokes aside, I'm hoping we get more before e3.

Femi-Tears

Its actually a feminist life simulator, consume male tears to level up.

Crap jokes aside, I'm hoping we get more before e3.

Can't give you a source but I recall seeing somewhere yesterday that more would be coming on April 20/21. I'll edit if I find the page I saw that on.

EDIT : Was on their own site https://www.bandainamcoent.com/news/preparetodine

They do say that video was "original animation inspired by a new title in development by Bandai Namco ". Not sure how to read into that , developed by them it says ? They'd hardly Do BB2 without From would they?

Wait, sony own they IP don't they ? So not Bloodborne 2 then.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,460 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Zelda: Breath of the Wild sold more copies on Switch in the US than there are Switch consoles in the US.

I assume an attach rate of >100% is some sort of record :pac:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2017-04-14-switch-is-nintendos-fastest-selling-console-ever-in-the-us

• Registered Users Posts: 17,942 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Nothing to celebrate when its the only game on a system though.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

I assume an attach rate of >100% is some sort of record

Hopefully 1-2 Switch & Bomberman Zero sell less than 0 copies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

Zelda: Breath of the Wild sold more copies on Switch in the US than there are Switch consoles in the US.

I assume an attach rate of >100% is some sort of record :pac:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2017-04-14-switch-is-nintendos-fastest-selling-console-ever-in-the-us

A lot people bought the game to leave it sealed to sell decades later.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,415 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

A lot of people imported the us collectors edition because of the much better swag and box art as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,458 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

Didn't they make more copies of E.T. than there was consoles as the publishers expected everyone would buy more than one copy

• Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

Skerries wrote: »
    Didn't they make more copies of E.T. than there was consoles as the publishers expected everyone would buy more than one copy

No pretty sure it was just known to be **** pretty quick and **** all people bought em. But of that dump there was more than just started buried

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,415 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Skerries wrote: »

No you are thinking of Pac Man on 2600. Atari had the license to the biggest game ever and thought the release of the game would sell more consoles so made twice as many games as consoles sold.

Seems ridiculous now but you have to remember how the entire videogame market was new back then. Also Atari never counted on it being a pile of crud.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,607 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    No you are thinking of Pac Man on 2600. Atari had the license to the biggest game ever and thought the release of the game would sell more consoles so made twice as many games as consoles sold.

Seems ridiculous now but you have to remember how the entire videogame market was new back then. Also Atari never counted on it being a pile of crud.

Pacman in the arcade
    pacman1.png

What 2600 owners were left with
    Thumb_Pac-Man_-_1981_-_Atari.jpg

What they could have had, on the 2600, if the devs had bothered to put some effort in

That tease from Bandai Namco last week is a game called Code Vein

http://kotaku.com/bandai-namco-announces-code-vein-which-is-definitely-a-1794481572

deBlob released on pc. Nice surprise. The original Wii game was wonderful and far better than the multiplatfor sequel.

Feminist frequency is finished.

Thought it was awful but whatever about the badly researched muck that it was the furore that followed was... shameful.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

Thought it was awful but whatever about the badly researched muck that it was the furore that followed was... shameful.

thatsagoodone_4e49021057fe4d9a1195d9b0b95db398.jpeg

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Finished or bankrupt?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    Finished or bankrupt?

The last of them was put up. I just googled it there. Because I haven't been worrying about SJWs ruining videogames I had totally forgotten about the series until Retrogamer posted about it there.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    Finished or bankrupt?

Bankrupt? With all that crowdfunding coin? :confused:

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

I will never cease to be amazed at the blatant stupidity of the man-babies who made that numpty famous. Anita Sarkeesian has about as much business investigating anything as I do designing women's fashion. Had the man-babies shut their fking mouths, she'd have been a tiny blip with no attention and even less of a voice, but instead they had to keep attacking a harmless woman who's nonsense would have literally zero impact on anything and be called out for the sham it was. So in a lot of ways, I'm delighted, because if there's one thing I hate more than stupid people attempting to provide "commentary" on something they know very little about, it's screaming man-babies on the internet.

Shiminay wrote: »
    I will never cease to be amazed at the blatant stupidity of the man-babies who made that numpty famous. Anita Sarkeesian has about as much business investigating anything as I do designing women's fashion. Had the man-babies shut their fking mouths, she'd have been a tiny blip with no attention and even less of a voice, but instead they had to keep attacking a harmless woman who's nonsense would have literally zero impact on anything and be called out for the sham it was. So in a lot of ways, I'm delighted, because if there's one thing I hate more than stupid people attempting to provide "commentary" on something they know very little about, it's screaming man-babies on the internet.

Going off memory here, but IIRC she was hired by Intel as part of some $300 million "diversity" effort she had no experience heading; her BS was being forced into mainstream coverage of games; and people were rightfully pissed that her video series was taking forever (nevermind the poor research).
    Plus she has this weird sex-negativity vibe to all her work, and that gets under my skin.

• Advertisement

I completely agree re: sex negativity. She's like a feckin' nun. The Intel gig, I believe, came after the man-babies attacking her, no one would have known who she was before that and she'd have been judged by the quality of her work only (and would've been obviously found lacking). Documentaries do take a long time to make though, I could make allowances for that cause I have a few video documentarian friends and I've seen the many hours it sucks out of your life with very little output.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

Is man-babies to new name for the media? Because I'm pretty sure that's where she got
    in
    famous.

In news, Roger cut from Tekken due to fears of animal abuse http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/170241-Tekken-7-Cuts-Roger-Jr-Animal-Activism I doubt this a lot. Harada has been mistranslated many times before and although he had a comment or two pandering to non-gamers, I don't think he drank the kool-aid.

Nothing gets attention more than "helpless woman threatened with death by internet hate group" - the facts don't matter, that's how the muggles saw it and that's how it ended up playing out.

Muggles :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

From the Intel Newsroom, back in 2015 the company pledged $300m to a fund designed to improve diversity both at their own company and across the wider technology and gaming sectors. As part of this they partnered with a variety of third parties including the IDGA, the E-Sports League, the National Center for Women in Technology, CyberSmile Foundation, Feminist Frequency and Rainbow PUSH to aid in the initiative. Sarkeesian herself wasn't hired for anything.

Shiminay is quite correct though, the level of abuse her Kickstarter alone generated is what propelled her to infamy way back in 2012. Had that not occurred she and her subpar commentary wouldn't have been but a blip on our radar. Instead, it's five years later and she's still getting crap for what? Four hours and fifty minutes of bloody Youtube commentary? It'd be laughable if it wasn't so utterly sad.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,460 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

In the name of accuracy: she has simply finished up her 'tropes vs video games' series. The organisation still exists and apparently (I have no reason to doubt it) moving on to other projects / broader topics.

I think above all I credit the whole project & resulting (obscenely toxic and indefensible) furore with getting me more interested in games criticism on the whole. As 'undergrad intro to feminism mid-term assignment' as FF undeniably is, I think the conversations surrounding it started highlighting for me some of more interesting writing out there. Taking games seriously and unpacking their language (design, socio-political, narrative, whatever) is an ever worthwhile pursuit, even if it's still resulting in some silliness along the way.

Baby steps and all that. Somewhere between the Tumblr posts and the anime avatars / comment sections is where the good stuff happens :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,942 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

I googled it and I still dont know what you're on about, then again I googled Gamergate and I still couldn't tell you what that sh1te was about either so I assume this is more of the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

Mr Glasgow has words to say about it https://twitter.com/Brad_Glasgow/status/857756616879472642

Also on the twitter harada confirms that the whole Roger/PETA thing was fake news. https://twitter.com/Harada_TEKKEN/status/857762960202022912

Capcom to announce a new big title http://www.oneangrygamer.net/2017/04/capcom-set-to-reveal-major-title-as-of-march-2018/29655/

I hope it's a new DMC title but at the same time fear how much more they could ruin the series if it is.

Capcom to announce a new big title http://www.oneangrygamer.net/2017/04/capcom-set-to-reveal-major-title-as-of-march-2018/29655/

I hope it's a new DMC title but at the same time fear how much more they could ruin the series if it is.
    Deep Down?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

The problem with Brad's point is that she was on the receiving end of harassment and criticism before the series even launched, the mere existence of the Kickstarter for the project was enough to earn it. The idea that it would have stopped after release if some publications had critically analysed her videos is a bit ridiculous.

Regardless, it is a pity that, following the rise in prominence of the series, no one did cover it in more detail but as Rich Stanton tweeted at the time (can't find the tweet at the moment, sorry) one* of the unfortunate side-effects of the level of abuse she got was that it made it difficult for any reasonable publication to wade in without appearing to be piling on with everything else going on.

As for the Capcom announcement, Deep Down could be a good shout since they renewed the trademark back in February although that was tipped as PS4 exclusive when it was originally revealed. Alternatively, it could be news of the Resident Evil 2 remake that was announced last year?

*or another, as the case may be

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement