Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gaming News

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,460 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

In purely practical terms, having told the public he had it meant any potential for an anonymous, consequence free release was thrown out the window, even if he passed it onto someone else. Regardless of the 'reward' and ethical arguments, on a purely legal and practical basis there was really nothing else he could have done without the risk of major personal repercussions :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

A project being classed as shareware has absolutely nothing to do with access to, or the right to modify, source code.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

Exactly, so he was a bit of a goof for revealing he had it at all. And although not news, here's a topical list of games whose source code was leaked.
    • Thief/System Shock 2
    • Falcon 4.0
    • Half Life 2 (pre-release)
    • Asteroids
    • Donkey Kong
    • Art of Fighting
    • Turok
    • Zork
    • Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3
    • Rolling Thunder
    • Turrican III
    • Jurassic Park: Trespasser
    • Tony Hawk's Underground
    • Re-Volt

• Closed Accounts Posts: 221 ✭✭NinjaKirby

Haha, oh Ian Miles Cheong - easily the worst writer currently writing about video games. Never been a terrible, pandering take he won't take.

To be fair, there is very little good writing about video games around.

One Angry Gamer (at least this Billy D guy), Jason Schreier (and Kotaku in general) and Ian Miles Cheong are all absolute bottom of the barrel garbage.

I do not understand AT ALL how these people, and their crap reporting on gaming, are popular. Kotaku gets a special mention for being absolutely awful trash despite seeming a bit more professional than the others.

Is it just the simple fact that controversy gets clicks?

Like when the new COD WW2 was announced I thought that could be a bit controversial as it's hard to connect the absolute horror of war with COD, which is really supposed to be fun and exciting gameplay. Nah, we get this https://www.polygon.com/2017/4/26/15438184/call-of-duty-wwii-trailer-reveal-diversity

I'd love to see some good gaming content and some good opinion pieces. Instead the internet is full of garbage.

Someone once recommended Jim Sterling... No, just no. He is awful.

I would recommend the Noclip youtube channel... https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC0fDG3byEcMtbOqPMymDNbw

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,460 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

NinjaKirby wrote: »
    II'd love to see some good gaming content and some good opinion pieces. Instead the internet is full of garbage.

It's definitely out there. For all the hate Kotaku and Polygon get, they IMO undeniably have some legitimately excellent features and investigative reports - this recent one on Capcom's fabled pinball table stands out as a damn good read https://www.polygon.com/features/2017/3/21/14937540/history-of-big-bang-bar-pinball. Ditto Eurogamer, who alongside their daily news coverage have thrown out some of the finest, most thoroughly reported features in recent years (disappointed they lost Alexis Kennedy on the opinion pages, always enjoy his writing).

I was a big fan of Kill Screen, but sadly that all went to **** earlier this year when it turned out the owners didn't have a clue what they were doing. Thankfully the writers are still doing their thing all over the gaff, some of them over at Heteropias (which is niche for sure but really thoughtful and passionate aesthetic and architectural analyses of games): http://www.heterotopiaszine.com/

Sadly a lot of the better writers are freelance and scattered all over the place - but you do often see some great writing in the likes of Waypoint, Edge and Paste Games. Just not always consistent given the current nature of the industry, alas (being a staff writer is a luxury few enjoy).

Mark Brown on YouTube is also doing damn good work, breaking down the form and language of games in an accessible and insightful way: https://www.youtube.com/user/McBacon1337

Think the market for really thoughtful games writing and criticism is relatively niche, compared to what you'd get in film for example. Certainly seems to be hard to sustain a living out of it. But there's great writers out there, it's just a matter of trying to signal-boost them among the noise!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,754 ✭✭✭✭Penn

NinjaKirby wrote: »
    I'd love to see some good gaming content and some good opinion pieces. Instead the internet is full of garbage.

Someone once recommended Jim Sterling... No, just no. He is awful.

I was just starting to become a fan of Colin Moriarty and he had a new Youtube show discussing games which ran for a few episodes. Then he made a joke on Twitter about women on International Women's Day, threw his toys out of the pram because not everyone was praising/defending him for it, left Kinda Funny Games altogether and is now doing a Youtube show about history and politics.

I do like Jim Sterling though. He can be hard to listen to and he really never lets stuff go due to an overplayed sense of altruism. However overall he does good work and can be pretty funny.

It's definitely out there. For all the hate Kotaku and Polygon get, they IMO undeniably have some legitimately excellent features and investigative reports - this recent one on Capcom's fabled pinball table stands out as a damn good read https://www.polygon.com/features/2017/3/21/14937540/history-of-big-bang-bar-pinball. Ditto Eurogamer, who alongside their daily news coverage have thrown out some of the finest, most thoroughly reported features in recent years (disappointed they lost Alexis Kennedy on the opinion pages, always enjoy his writing).
    It's been openly admitted by people involved in most of those sites that the reason for the clickbait and regurgitated press release articles is because they drive ad revenue to the point that the sites themselves are sustainable. The feature-level articles, despite their significantly higher quality across the various sites, simply don't drive enough traffic for sites to survive on them alone. :(
    Mark Brown on YouTube is also doing damn good work, breaking down the form and language of games in an accessible and insightful way: https://www.youtube.com/user/McBacon1337
    Also, NinjaKirby and anyone else, this. A million times this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 221 ✭✭NinjaKirby

gizmo wrote: »
    Also, NinjaKirby and anyone else, this. A million times this.

Yup. Already watched a bunch of Mark Brown's videos. Great content, highly recommended.

It's been openly admitted by people involved in most of those sites that the reason for the clickbait and regurgitated press release articles is because they drive ad revenue to the point that the sites themselves are sustainable. The feature-level articles, despite their significantly higher quality across the various sites, simply don't drive enough traffic for sites to survive on them alone. :(

Absolutely, when we're at the point when even The New York Times is struggling to find the necessary investigative resources it's no surprise that it remains such a luxury in the gaming sphere. I'm happy to tolerate (if not agree with) some of the lazier, 'news cycle' stuff or silly 'hot takes' when you know the outlet in question is pumping some decent resources into good reporting or substantial criticism too.

It's a difficult industry, and maintaining the line between sustainable mainstream prominence and strong editorial quality is no doubt a constant challenge.

One Angry Gamer has a clean record and rattles everyone's cages. I go there for meta news in the industry and about other sites, not so much gaming content. For that I'd go with http://nichegamer.com/ and https://www.lewdgamer.com/ (NSWF) There's lots of other sites with clean backgrounds and decent content but I just don't use gaming outlets for news too much. Generally stick to forum and imageboards as well as a bit of social media lurking. Polygon is too far gone. I never give them a click.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

Ah, yeah. Whatever you're into, I suppose…

One Angry Gamer has a clean record and rattles everyone's cages. I go there for meta news in the industry and about other sites, not so much gaming content. For that I'd go with http://nichegamer.com/ and https://www.lewdgamer.com/ (NSWF) There's lots of other sites with clean backgrounds and decent content but I just don't use gaming outlets for news too much. Generally stick to forum and imageboards as well as a bit of social media lurking. Polygon is too far gone. I never give them a click.
    Except when he's engaging in this kind of crappy journalism.

Ah, yeah. Whatever you're into, I suppose…

Listen, nugget: some day your favourite outrageously-proportioned teenage anime character will have her bust size reduced and her age increased by 24 months too. And then you too will have an internet site where you will find like-minded, outraged folk who will have some real alternatives to offer you.

Except when he's engaging in this kind of crappy journalism.

He sent an email and made a tweet? There's no link to any articles from OAG only pictures of the email and tweet. :confused:

https://twitter.com/trilllizard420/status/859579820040003585

Maybe get back on to news?

White Day gets western release: http://nichegamer.com/2017/05/04/korean-horror-game-white-day-labyrinth-named-school-gets-western-release/

He sent an email and made a tweet? There's no link to any articles from OAG only pictures of the email and tweet. :confused:
    He approached the subject of a potential article and misrepresented himself by asking what appeared to be an innocuous question when in actual fact he was looking for information for said story. It's a pretty clear breach of the SPJ Code of Ethics. TechRaptor are similarly guilty for not even attempting to reach out to the subject as part of their article on the matter.

The point I'm trying to make is that, regardless of our belief in their stance on a particular subject, no publication, website or journalist is perfect and they're certainly not beyond reproach. It would, however, be nice if the criticism and commentary that follows didn't so often fall into the category of snarky, mean-spirited or worse, abusive.

For instance, the above tweet thread about the Code Vain footage. What's the point in that? Bandai Namco are responsible for the initial linking between the title and the Souls series following the "Prepare to Dine" tagline on the first trailer and users on this very thread speculated on a potential connection to the series, thematically or otherwise. Now that the trailer is out we're shown a slice of combat gameplay footage and lo and behold, it looks quite similar to said series and its spiritual successor. What's wrong with various sites pointing this out?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

It's definitely out there. For all the hate Kotaku and Polygon get, they IMO undeniably have some legitimately excellent features and investigative reports - this recent one on Capcom's fabled pinball table stands out as a damn good read https://www.polygon.com/features/2017/3/21/14937540/history-of-big-bang-bar-pinball. Ditto Eurogamer

Was it polygon or kotaku who launched n epic whinge that the COD: WW2 thingey lacked proper diversity?

They should have set the damn thing in the waffen SS and watched all the whinging saps lose their tiny minds over a cast of blonde, blue eyed racial supremacists :D

The Americans have lost the run of themselves at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,539 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Bambi wrote: »
    Was it polygon or kotaku who launched n epic whinge that the COD: WW2 thingey lacked proper diversity?

They should have set the damn thing in the waffen SS and watched all the whinging saps lose their tiny minds over a cast of blonde, blue eyed racial supremacists :D

The Americans have lost the run of themselves at this stage.

Probably both, trying to out do each other.

Honestly it's unlikely for this COD but I'd love if EA/Dice did some German missions for a new BF, in BF1 all we got were allies.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,458 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Skerries wrote: »

:confused::confused::confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Whatever about written content, there's no end to quality video reviewers and journalists.

I've a decent block of youtubers I go through as their content comes out - Noah Caldwell Gervais, Raycevik, kaptainkristian, Ahoy, Danny O'Dwyer and Noclip, Super Bunnyhop, Matthewmatosis, are all good for various reasons.
    Some have good long form anaysis, they cover things from a more unique perspective or their content simply has very high production values.

Incidentally, if anyone has any more in that vein I'm always game for more podcasts.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,539 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Gbear wrote: »
    Whatever about written content, there's no end to quality video reviewers and journalists.

I've a decent block of youtubers I go through as their content comes out - Noah Caldwell Gervais, Raycevik, kaptainkristian, Ahoy, Danny O'Dwyer and Noclip, Super Bunnyhop, Matthewmatosis, are all good for various reasons.
    Some have good long form anaysis, they cover things from a more unique perspective or their content simply has very high production values.

Incidentally, if anyone has any more in that vein I'm always game for more podcasts.

Danny O'Dwyer and Ahoy are the only ones I know from that and while I've been watching Ahoy since MW2 but I can't stand Danny O'Dwyer.

Jeremy Parish if you like the retrospectives.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Varik wrote: »
    but I can't stand Danny O'Dwyer.

His latest venture doesn't feature him that much and it's mostly the developers and other games industry bods that do the talking.

The 3 parter about the new DOOM is particularly excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Gbear wrote:
    The 3 parter about the new DOOM is particularly excellent.

I liked them ones & Rocket League but since the topics haven't gripped me. Spelunky, Frog Fractions & The Witness ain't my thing.
    I like Mark Brown (Game makers Toolkit) too. Gamexplain for their OCD analysis, Game Sack & Metal Jesus. The later is a bit nerdy tho :o
    Hate ACG now tho. His intro & that Sound, Music & Voice stuff got on my nerves fast.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,415 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I would add Kim justice to them as well. She covers things from the European side which is refreshing as most content seems to think video games only happened in Japan and the us. Her videos are far and away the best researched coverage of that side of video games.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

ERG89 wrote: »
    Hate ACG now tho. His intro & that Sound, Music & Voice stuff got on my nerves fast.

Praise you! I can't stand the guy. That little "heh, maybe subscribe" bit at the start is particularly annoying along with the many needless quips and one liners he forces in.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Pac1Man wrote: »
    ERG89 wrote: »

Praise you! I can't stand the guy. That little "heh, maybe subscribe" bit at the start is particularly annoying along with the many needless quips and one liners he forces in.

I know this is totally off topic but on topic of annoying YouTubers. One guy I can only last a few seconds watching is pewdiepie and he has the most subscribers than any one. I can only just watch the intros and turn it off.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

One thing that does my head in is the abandonment of written reviews for video, I do not have the time or inclination to sit through a 20 minute video when i can read and reread far more information in the same amount of time. Also your annoying personality is not immediately apparent with the written word..always a good thing

or developers making videos for updates instead of written changelog..just f**k off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,689 ✭✭✭Inviere

I've a rule for any YouTube reviewers, if you shout, you're gone. There's just no need to shout and scream into your mic!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement