Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gaming News

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,354 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

SeantheMan wrote: »
    That's a huge overstatement.

This generation has been fine and has had some of the best single player games in recent years. This year alone has been phenomenal.

The games you mentioned too , Deus Ex was excellent, Hitman was fantastic too. It's unfortunate that they may not get sequels, but they were great.
    It was great news that we got them, and got to play them....alongside many of the other amazing games from this gen.

Just off the top of my head,

Breath of the Wild,
    Dark Souls 3,
    Persona 5,
    Yakuza 0,
    Horizon Zero Dawn,
    Uncharted 4,
    Doom,
    Titanfall,
    Deus Ex,
    Hitman,
    XCom2,
    Dishonored 2,
    Last Guardian,

No Mans Sk.....actually wait...yeah....this gen did bring bad news for single player games :P

Haha, I get what you're saying, I've been loving this generation as well. The only problem is that publishers are starting to view large AAA single player only games as a bigger risk than they're worth.

If the best Hitman in the series (in my opinion) is deemed a failure in the eyes of the publisher, will they try something similar again? I really don't think so, which makes me fear for the future of gaming.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,921 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Not getting great sales numbers is probably a by-product of deciding to release the game episodically. Loads of people just say they'll wait until the full game is out and by then most have forgotten about it.

Which is a shame; the episodic release didn't detract from my enjoyment of it. Thought it actually suited the game reasonably well.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

Breath of the Wild,
    Dark Souls 3,
    Persona 5,
    Yakuza 0,
    Horizon Zero Dawn,
    Uncharted 4,
    Doom,
    Titanfall,
    Deus Ex,
    Hitman,
    XCom2,
    Dishonored 2,
    Last Guardian,

I know it's all opinion but half of those games are entirely forgettable and 'meh'.
    Which is a shame; the episodic release didn't detract from my enjoyment of it. Thought it actually suited the game reasonably well.

I bought it when Season 1 was complete(on sale of course). It seems like a series primed for episodic but I think they just messed it up. The grind focus, the glitches and awkward scoring system. The benefit of being episodic was that it's supposed to make them listen to the fans more but apparently they removed human shield feature (that was in beta) because Walmart refused to sell it with such a feature. That's listening to retailers not fans.

The draconian DRM and online restrictions hurt its reputation, too. I couldn't even check my game progress when the servers were down once. More than once people couldn't even launch the game because of that. Insanity. Still miles better than the previous title, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

I haven't touched anything from that list.

Am i no longer a gamer? :(

Yeah it sure did, said a few times here that I ate my hat on my opposition to it being episodic. Meant you took more time with each level than you may otherwise would if you'd got it all in one go. It also gave them some leeway to respond and adjust the game based on player feedback.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Taylor365 wrote: »

I think you're an a-ok dude

• Registered Users Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭ibFoxer

Taylor365 wrote: »

Ha, i'm still playing 2013's games :(

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,415 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Game informer voted Skyrim as the best RPG of all time.

Go home GI, you're drunk.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

I know it's all opinion but half of those games are entirely forgettable and 'meh'.

Don't know how anyone would have possibly have time to play all those to give an opinion on them. You'd need to be playing 24/7 since March to have put the time needed into Zelda, Persona & Horizon. Like 250 hours there if you go off just the main story. :eek:
    Half the reason I didn't buy Nier was when I heard it had a large open world I didn't want it. I've walked away from some games when I feel they need too much time like Rise of the Tomb Raider or bore me like Fallout 4 or Shadow of Mordor.
    The Witcher 3 I ate that up in comparison even though it's long

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

Yeah it sure did, said a few times here that I ate my hat on my opposition to it being episodic. Meant you took more time with each level than you may otherwise would if you'd got it all in one go. It also gave them some leeway to respond and adjust the game based on player feedback.

I thought it was the best use of 'episodic' gaming to date. Even better than telltale. It suits Agent47 perfectly. He 'would' be taking a break in between missions and jet setting to other locations etc

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,814 ✭✭✭irishman86

ERG89 wrote: »
    Don't know how anyone would have possibly have time to play all those to give an opinion on them. You'd need to be playing 24/7 since March to have put the time needed into Zelda, Persona & Horizon. Like 250 hours there if you go off just the main story. :eek:
    Half the reason I didn't buy Nier was when I heard it had a large open world I didn't want it. I've walked away from some games when I feel they need too much time like Rise of the Tomb Raider or bore me like Fallout 4 or Shadow of Mordor.

Totally agree buddy, dont know where people get the time
    I have on my back list FF15, Horizon, The Witcher 3 add ons, the last of us and about 20 other games I bought on whim
    I have to stop myself buying games these days :pac:
    I thought about getting a Switch for Zelda but I really dont see the time being there for me.

irishman86 wrote: »
    Totally agree buddy, dont know where people get the time
    I have on my back list FF15, Horizon, The Witcher 3 add ons, the last of us and about 20 other games I bought on whim
    I have to stop myself buying games these days :pac:
    I thought about getting a Switch for Zelda but I really dont see the time being there for me.

Many of the games came out last year though, I've completed most of em (and one of em 7 times...DS3 ) and still have 1 or 2 to get to. I can't play Zelda as I don't own a Switch though :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,624 ✭✭✭Little CuChulainn

Retr0gamer wrote: »

Probably would be my favourite. What really boosts it is the mod support. New Vegas would be my second choice I think. The mods just allow them to keep going. I still play them both.

Feck sake, it's not even the best Elder Scrolls of all time.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,942 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Where did they place Baldurs Gate 2? Can't even bring myself to give them the clicks...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,624 ✭✭✭Little CuChulainn

Paradox and the makers of Tropico 3 -5 have announced a mars clonization strategy game. Trailer is quite good. Takes a nice twist towards the end.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,415 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Thargor wrote: »
    Where did they place Baldurs Gate 2? Can't even bring myself to give them the clicks...

9th

list is a joke. Basically just put the crowd pleasers in and throw in a few obscure ones they obviously never played to appease the hardcore.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

ERG89 wrote: »
    I've played through it twice and still yet to finish the last DLC.

Just about 250 hours, that's nearly a years worth of gaming for me at this stage. :pac:

Same. Did dark alliance make the list I loved those games on PS2. Recall the being some major issues at interplay that affected DA 3 and Fallout 3 at the time.

Thinking about it now I'd gladly play some more Baulders Gate current gen.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

I think we all know this is top regardless of what some stoopid website writes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

http://gematsu.com/2017/05/sega-planning-revival-major-ips
    Expand existing IPs and obtain new IPs for North American and European PC games
    Read more at http://gematsu.com/2017/05/sega-planning-revival-major-ips#CpBivHsgoJaij4Jc.99

ClPw5af.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Sieghardt

I was almosty excited for a second, then I saw SEGA's idea of a classic sega franchise that needs revival is Alpha Protocol.

Yeah that's what everyone thinks of when they think of SEGA, the beloved old classic everyone has been clambering for

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Did SEGA mention Alpha Protocol themselves or are folk just referring to Obsidian's tweet? :confused:

If they are talking about reviving older franchises then there are plenty of things I'd be far more concerned about...

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,416 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2017/05/16/ubisoft-announces-far-cry-5-and-the-crew-2.aspx

Far Cry 5 and the crew 2 , too be released this fiscal year.

Delighted with FC5 couldn't care less about the crew.

Read a few rumours saying FC5 could be a spaghetti western! I'd dig that, I reckon.

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2017/05/16/ubisoft-announces-far-cry-5-and-the-crew-2.aspx

Far Cry 5 and the crew 2 , too be released this fiscal year.

Delighted with FC5 couldn't care less about the crew.

Loved FC1, couldn't get on with 2 (seems to be the most divisive of the series..it's definitely either a love/hate thing with most people)
    FC3 was the best, and the Blood Dragon add on was great.
    FC4 was basically trying to be 3, but a less likeable set of characters and a crap bad guy (I think I stopped about 80% of the way)
    Primal ...quit at maybe 30% mark, found it very boring and tedious...so much collecting and crafting as opposed to fighting/exploring. Riding on a Sabretooth was good though.

Not sure what they're gonna do with 5, I heard it's set in the US in Montanna or something in a fictional town...and you're a cop in the middle of nowhere ?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,354 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Loved FC1, couldn't get on with 2 (seems to be the most divisive of the series..it's definitely either a love/hate thing with most people)
    FC3 was the best, and the Blood Dragon add on was great.
    FC4 was basically trying to be 3, but a less likeable set of characters and a crap bad guy (I think I stopped about 80% of the way)
    Primal ...quit at maybe 30% mark, found it very boring and tedious...so much collecting and crafting as opposed to fighting/exploring. Riding on a Sabretooth was good though.

Not sure what they're gonna do with 5, I heard it's set in the US in Montanna or something in a fictional town...and you're a cop in the middle of nowhere ?

Yeah, that sums up what I think of the series as well. Didn't get Primal, because it just didn't seem interesting to me. The standard collect-a-ton Far Cry, but in a totally uninteresting setting.

Plenty of militias out in the sticks of America, with enough weirdos to go with it. I could definitely see a Far Cry working there.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,280 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Netflix have announced a Witcher TV series :eek:

Edit: http://www.ign.com/articles/2017/05/17/netflix-to-produce-the-witcher-tv-series

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Even Oblivion was better than Skyrim.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭Vojera

DONTNOD have confirmed the rumours that they are working on another Life is Strange game.

No details at all about what form it's taking or what, if any, characters will be appearing.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement