Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gaming News

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,748 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

Couldn't stand the first game to the point that I got a little annoyed every time I heard Aloy speak in Horizon because it's the same actress that plays Chloe :p In saying that I'm still glad to see more of these type of games from devs other than Telltale.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,249 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Game informer voted Skyrim as the best RPG of all time.

Go home GI, you're drunk.

They should have added in the caveat: "Best RPG of all Time*"

*If you play on PC and can mod the living shít of it so it doesn't play like actual garbage and then becomes a really good game essentially made by a community of modders

• Registered Users Posts: 17,942 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Sonics2k wrote: »

*If you play on PC and can mod the living shít of it so it doesn't play like actual garbage and then becomes a really good game essentially made by a community of modders
    OT but is there an "Ultimate Skyrim mod package" or something like that to play it the way its meant to be played? I played it on the 360 but I have a proper gaming rig now.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Sonics2k wrote:

How does someone compare an RPG like The Witcher, Mass Effect or Elder Scrolls to stuff like Chrono Trigger, Suikoden & Pokemon.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,458 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

stick a J at the front?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

Couldn't stand the first game to the point that I got a little annoyed every time I heard Aloy speak in Horizon because it's the same actress that plays Chloe :p In saying that I'm still glad to see more of these type of games from devs other than Telltale.

I was on the fence for the first two episodes but it was great from episode 3 onwards. Any game that has teenage protagonists is probably going to suffer from having pain in the hole characters if they try to be anyway true to life but I enjoyed the rekindled relationship that developed between Max and Chloe once it got past the first two episodes. I enjoyed it way more than any of the Telltale games I played.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,109 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Have played the first episode. Then Breath of the Wild came out. So may get to episode 2 this weekend

• Registered Users Posts: 12,539 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Occasionally google the SAG-AFTRA strike to see what's going on and it turns out it's now the longest running strike in the unions history since a week or 2 ago; 214 days today.

The union has said it's signed deals with some of the publishers/devs but hasn't named them, they also didn't mention who hasn't but from the actual picketing EA, Blizzard Activation, Insomniac, and WB.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,922 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Layoffs at IO, sadly as expected.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Skyrim is the best RPG of all time.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

dreamers75 wrote: »
    Skyrim is the best RPG of all time.

Oblivion was much better than Skyrim for starters.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

J Mysterio wrote: »
    Oblivion was much better than Skyrim for starters.

No, those stupid gates meant you were forced in some way to partake in the main story.

In Skyrim, feck dragons im a trader or whatever.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

wonder will nintendo allow mods on the switch version :pac::pac::D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

No, those stupid gates meant you were forced in some way to partake in the main story.

In Skyrim, feck dragons im a trader or whatever.

I'm not sure if you're trolling Dreamer :P
    Skyrim deffo isn't the best game of it's type.

I agree with Oblivion being better, but then you all also have the Fallout games, which are better in terms of RPG than Skyrim.
    New Vegas, you allegiances affect the ending and major factions in the game throughout your playthrough.

Skyrim you just end up in some place in the sky ?..or....I can't even remember the story was so bad. You end up just running around the world doing sidequests.
    Also it ruined the Guilds compared to Oblivion.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,281 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

After Witcher 3 I'll probably never be able to stomach an Elder Scrolls/Fallout game again, though I loved Skyrim at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Mickeroo wrote: »
    After Witcher 3 I'll probably never be able to stomach an Elder Scrolls/Fallout game again, though I loved Skyrim at the time.

If you had the witchers storyline with Oblivions playability and sense of scale we'd be sucking diesel

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Morrowind was better than Oblivion and Skyrim. None of the three are the best RPG's of all time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

If you didnt go to Kvatch there were barely any Oblivion gates. They only started popping up a lot if you advanced the story.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,415 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

The Bethesda games have just been kind of cookie cutter for me. The writing is usually terrible and quest design is mostly busy work than actually being fun. New Vegas really puts them to shame. There's no way I'd count them among the best games RPGs ever made, they'd find it hard getting into a top 100 or mine, although that's not to say they are bad. There's other western RPGs that are leagues ahead of them such as Fallout 2, early Bioware and Black Isle games, Stalker, System Shock 2 etc. They offer actual roleplaying rather than watching your stats go up. Even Morrowind has a lot more actual roleplaying.

That's not even considering Japanese RPGs.

I think it's a case of it being rather new, I don't think many people will be talking about Skyrim in a few years time. What's even more baffling is that there's an even better western RPG contender when it comes to picking something that is new and fresh in the mind. The Witcher 3 is a much better game and a genuine contender for best RPG of all time that people will be talking about for years to come.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,942 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Where did Witcher 3 come on the list?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,415 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Thargor wrote: »
    Where did Witcher 3 come on the list?

Fifth. Behind mass effect 2 (what?)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,249 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Fifth. Behind mass effect 2 (what?)

Reading that made me unreasonably angry for a few minutes

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Would it be mad if there was PC RPG that didnt blindly follow the mechanics of pen and paper RPGs like they were somehow suited to a PC game?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

I think the biggest issue with some of these RPGs is that so much of the content is the (often rather feeble) mechanics standing on their own, maybe abetted by the environment (parts of Skyrim and ME look pretty).

Run to cave, kill giant spiders, retrieve thingy, go home.
    It has travelling, finding your way, combat.

It's fine, but after your 5th spider cave (never mind your 200th) you just don't want to know anymore.
    I actually really liked the mechanics of ME:A, even if the balance was off, but after you've killed a legion of enemies even really good mechanics start to feel tired and you need something more.

The other element that a game like the Witcher adds is that they wove actual storytelling into each of those seemingly trivial quests.
    They don't just make you go get a bunch of equipment for a blacksmith so he can sell you ****.
    They do it with an entire cast of minor characters, some of which will have a little character arc, there'll be betrayal, some humour, some world building and redemption for someone.
    Then they go the extra mile in making those characters come to life.
    In the Witcher rerun I'm doing I've noticed quite a lot of bugs, plenty of copy/pasted heads and the graphics don't stand up particularly well - all criticisms leveled at Andromeda. The difference is that the faces show character - dirt, grime, facial hair, spots, scars, and the voice acting is far better, which makes them feel like people in a way that the animatronic mannaquins in Andromeda didn't.

So while you essentially do the same thing; go to place, get things, fight entities, bring things back, they don't do it for its own sake, but rather use it as a framework to tell a story.

Role playing in a sandbox is grand, but at a certain point, you realise you're playing glorified Goat Simulator.
    It's far easier to role play when you care about what you're doing.

The combat in Witcher isn't much more than allright, but it's both a positive and a negative that you could play the game on super-easy mode and still find it engaging.

Bethesda games offer little in the way of graphical or technological prowess, game mechanics or story (at least with the last couple that have come out). Their main selling point is that they're a "do anything" simulator, giving you a huge breadth of different avenues to go down.
    The problem for me is that none of those avenues are actually enjoyable, well realised or meaningful.
    They're too much butter over too little bread and for that reason I don't think they can ever in the same league of something that's more focused.
    Enjoyable diversion for a time until you get bored of the mechanics. Then you forget about them completely.

Bethesda and Bioware RPGs are too frequently be the Disney hero or be a total dick. For the most part There's no middle ground or ambiguity.

Monster Hunter coming to Switch. Pretty big news. With mon hon and dragon quest coming to the switch it could very likely cement itself as the biggest platform for Japanese developers.

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Sieghardt

Monster Hunter coming to Switch. Pretty big news. With mon hon and dragon quest coming to the switch it could very likely cement itself as the biggest platform for Japanese developers.

Ah yes, who can forget how Monster Hunter and Dragon Quest on Wii U led to the systems meteoric rise :pac:

Raiden V coming to PC and PS4.

That means there's now absolutely no reason to own a Xbox one for me:)

• Advertisement

what else are you going to use to keep your door open with?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement