Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gaming News

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

I'd take anything Derek Smart has to say about Star Cotizen with a massive pinch of salt. They may or may not be in trouble but he has a huge agenda against them and has been going after them for years.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

They all appear to be PC Gamer Master Race people though, which..... well..... y'know.

Listen, I know it's hard for you plebians, but it's not our fault you persist in sticking to locked-down & underpowered systems with paid online :P:pac:

SNES mini confirmed
    The full list of games included with the SNES mini in Europe lies below:

Contra III: The Alien Wars
    Donkey Kong Country
    EarthBound
    Final Fantasy III
    F-ZERO
    Kirby Super Star
    Kirby's Dream Course
    The Legend of Zelda™: A Link to the Past
    Mega Man X
    Secret of Mana
    Star Fox
    Star Fox 2
    Street Fighter 2 Turbo: Hyper Fighting
    Super Castlevania 4
    Super Ghouls 'n Ghosts
    Super Mario Kart
    Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars
    Super Mario World
    Super Metroid
    Super Punch-Out!!
    Yoshi's Island

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭Redditor

Smart is a lunatic that hates people that he sees getting the success he wants for himself.

His whole site is a blog attacking Star Citizen. His lies were once again, immediately exposed.

He bills himself as something in the vein of Chris Roberts (not that he is perfect himself or anything) despite releasing one of the most broken games ever conceived of. A game he talks about as if he should be applauded for it.

The loan they have gotten was backed against UK government tax rebates due to them. The company has money coming in, in USD, Euros and some far smaller amount in British Pounds.

They have a major operation in Manchester. To move a load of dollars or Euros to England to cover continuing operation costs would result in taking a huge hit from exchange rates.

They are due a tax rebate from the British government, so they have arranged with Coutts, a bank that wouldn't touch them with a barge-pole if they weren't in seriously good financial shape, to take out a loan.

It's at a rate which might even see Cloud Imperium Games come out with a profit, depending on what markets do in the while.

Money is cheap at the moment. It made financial sense to get a very low interest loan, rather than get crucified by exchange rates trying to move money around.

One of the clickbait sites that ran the story even apologised, which is pretty bloody rare...

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭hank scorpio89

K.O.Kiki wrote: »

Star fox 2?

• Advertisement

Star fox 2?

It was never officially released. It was due to come out but the Nintendo 64 was launching so it got canned, despite being finished and Star Fox 64 not coming out until nearly a year after launch.

Unfinished Japanese ROMs of it have floated around. some of which were translated to English.

The creator has had the finished ROM the whole time, but Nintendo would have sued him for sure if he released it. He's delighted it's getting released finally in any case.

Star fox 2?

Really good video from Eurogamer which explains the ongoing SAG-AFTRA (voice actors union) strike.

Really good video from Eurogamer which explains the ongoing SAG-AFTRA (voice actors union) strike.

That has me torn tbh. Obviously they are being treated badly in some ways, but they are being unreasonable in some ways also.

Say I hire a programmer to build a feature for some piece of software. If they agreed to be paid X amount for doing it and I go on to sell so many units of the product, they have no right to come back to me and say, "Hey, I want to be paid more for having done that"

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

Redditor wrote: »

That has me torn tbh. Obviously they are being treated badly in some ways, but they are being unreasonable in some ways also.

Say I hire a programmer to build a feature for some piece of software. If they agreed to be paid X amount for doing it and I go on to sell so many units of the product, they have no right to come back to me and say, "Hey, I want to be paid more for having done that"

The prigrammer....knowing how valuable his work will be to you...and how many millions you will make...should ask for a tiny cut then depending on units sold.

Apples and oranges anyways.

Good voices can make or break a game.
    Look at how well Naughty Dog do...their games play like movies and the characters feel real due to their performances

• Registered Users Posts: 6,788 ✭✭✭Evade

SeantheMan wrote: »
    They can't make up for a bad game though.

If a game is trading on the names of its voice talent like films do with actors then there's an argument that they deserve a cut otherwise they should only be fairly compensated for their time in the recording studio.

This whole thing is a little shortsighted on SAGAFTRA's part anyway. It wouldn't take a lot for any of the big publishers to move their recording elsewhere and get around the rules.

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Sieghardt

The prigrammer....knowing how valuable his work will be to you...and how many millions you will make...should ask for a tiny cut then depending on units sold.

Look at how well Naughty Dog do...their games play like movies and the characters feel real due to their performances

They use Nolan North and Troy Baker, actors who are in a million other games. They're great actors but it's silly to act like they're doing anything amazingly special or out of the ordinary.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

They also feel real due to the phenomenal work of the programmers, animators, designers and artists at ND.

While I'm all for development staff receiving bonuses for their work on these kinds of critically and commercially acclaimed projects and would have no problem with voice actors being included in this also, I really can't see there being much support for the kind of contractual bonuses they're looking for when there's nothing in place for the rest of the team who have gone through multiple years of development time and crunch periods to ship a game.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,216 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

http://www.icxm.net/x/anthem-sony-fraud-photoshop-buttons-out-liars.html

just seen this just wow what are sony playing at? or is there actually truth in this?

http://www.icxm.net/x/anthem-sony-fraud-photoshop-buttons-out-liars.html

just seen this just wow what are sony playing at? or is there actually truth in this?

Not excusing this, but to be fair, that video was probably provided to Sony by EA.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,099 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Not excusing this, but to be fair, that video was probably provided to Sony by EA.

I doubt EA would have edited the video to show PS controls though?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,216 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

maybe so but why would ea edit the footage like that, just seems lazy.

actually just imagine buying it for ps4 or pro expecting to look like that and the gameplay was from an xbox one x

emmetkenny wrote: »
    If they were giving it to Sony to show somewhere then yeah.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,099 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Evade wrote: »

Would EA not give Sony footage of Anthem from a PS4?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,327 ✭✭✭dunworth1

Wouldn't they just use actual ps footage since they would easily have access to it.

Unless it doesn't look nearly as good as it does on the Xbox one X

maybe so but why would ea edit the footage like that, just seems lazy.
    Hard to say either way which of them did it, but I'd definitely suspect EA more.
    actually just imagine buying it for ps4 or pro expecting to look like that and the gameplay was from an xbox one x

Happens all the time (PC to console).

Anyway, tapping out here. Not in the mood for (another) console-war-thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

I agree. EA gameplay trailers are always completed professionally.

It looks like Playstation wanted to steal a bit of the Xbox One X thunder.

I wouldn't mind if they at least referenced that it is the XB1X gameplay. Trying to pawn it off as PS4 footage is uncool.

Would EA not give Sony footage of Anthem from a PS4?
    dunworth1 wrote: »
    Wouldn't they just use actual ps footage since they would easily have access to it.

Unless it doesn't look nearly as good as it does on the Xbox one X
    If it doesn't say PS4/XB1 footage anywhere on the bottom it's probably a PC build with an XB1 controller plugged in.

Why record the same footage multiple times for different platforms this far out?

If it doesn't say PS4/XB1 footage anywhere on the bottom it's probably a PC build with an XB1 controller plugged in.

Why record the same footage multiple times for different platforms this far out?

The gameplay is from a pre alpha build running on the XB1X. EA confirmed this.

The gameplay is from a pre alpha build running on the XB1X. EA confirmed this.
    Then if someone from Sony edited the footage that's probably a pretty big payday for EA as I'd imagine editing any of this promo stuff is a big no no.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,539 ✭✭✭✭Varik

No one try looking at the edited video?

Only Photoshop seems to be that site itself.

421349.png

Varik wrote: »

421349.png

If you use the . key to go forward frame by frame (or 0.1 second increments, I forget which) the Xbox buttons do show under the PS buttons for a few frames just as they pop up.

Varik wrote: »

421349.png
    It's definitely in the Playstation video a few times. A poor editing job.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,354 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Honestly, it's been a long time since I've looked at a gaming video and thought that it's an accurate look at a game regardless of what platform it's on. This is perhaps one of the more obvious examples of a "bullshot", but not one that is particularly shocking or anything. These things happen in marketing, and the PS4 Pro version will probably look somewhat similar in the end. Not something to get all bent out of shape by in my opinion.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement